AVS Forum banner
847K views 14K replies 433 participants last post by  Mike Garrett 
#1 ·
 Looks Very Cool.

SONY RAISES THE BAR AT CEDIA 2011 WITH NEW HOME THEATER INNOVATIONS FOR HIGH-END ENTHUSIASTS

4K Home Projector and "Elevated Standard" AV Receivers Launch Alongside U.S. Debuts of True Sony Innovations

INDIANAPOLIS, Sept. 7, 2011 (CEDIA Booth #1803) – Today, in advance of the 2011 CEDIA Expo, Sony Electronics unveiled a variety of ground-breaking products designed to deliver an integrated and immersive home entertainment experience. From audio/video receivers and televisions to speakers and projectors – Sony's CEDIA exhibit runs the gamut from A/V, HD, 3D and beyond.

"We came to CEDIA to reinforce our commitment to being the leading provider of quality entertainment solutions for the high-end and custom install channels," said Mike Abary, senior vice president of Sony Electronics' Home Division. "Sony's Elevated Standard (also known as ES) line and the other new products on display at the show epitomize innovation, quality, and style, and also highlight Sony's legacy in this channel. We're also adding resources to support our leading service programs and working with channel partners to provide dedicated support and training that no other company can match."

Groundbreaking first in home projection

Sony introduced its first home theater front projector capable of displaying stunning 4K images. The top-of-the-line VPL-VW1000ES 4K home theater projector model is specifically designed to meet the needs of custom installers, and its capabilities will deliver entertainment enthusiasts a more immersive, engaging visual experience with over four times the resolution of HDTV.

With 2,000 ANSI-lumens of brightness, the VPL-VW1000ES projector delivers nearly twice the output of previous Sony home theater projectors, making it suitable for screen sizes up to 200 inches diagonally. The VW1000ES model also employs an entirely new SXRD 4K panel, which produces outstanding deep black levels, and when combined with Sony's Iris3 technology, the projector can achieve an incredible 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast.

In addition to supporting 4K native resolution, the VW1000ES projector also features an exclusive 4K "upscaler" that dramatically enhances all content - SD or HD, 2D or 3D - allowing viewers to see 4K playback, even from their existing media libraries. For greater versatility, it can also display Full HD 3D movies, as well as 2D and 3D anamorphic films. For Full 4K 3D, an integrated IR transmitter drives the projector's TDG-PJ1 active shutter 3D glasses.

The VW1000ES projector offers a variety of installations options, including dual triggers, a 2.1 motorized zoom, expanded throw distances, an RS232 interface, control over IP and compatibility with leading home automation systems.

The introduction of the VPL-VW1000ES complements Sony's full line of home theater front projectors. Introduced earlier this summer, the VPL-HW30AES 3D front projector for the home has been critically acclaimed as an impressive step forward in performance in its class, packing a punch beyond its accessible price of just $3,699.99. Last week, the VPL-VW95ES home theater front projector, debuted at IFA in Germany. This mid-level home projector joins Sony's expansive range of SXRD projectors, and offers another option for cinemaphiles outfitting high-tech theater rooms.

See less See more
#10 ·

Quote:
throws a full 4K picture: 4096 x 3112 pixels.

Back to 4:3 aspect ratio?

A-lens will get you to 16:9 or scope, but you'll end up zooming for one or the other. That makes the 2,000 lumen claim a little sketchy for real world use.

#14 ·
This thing should be future proof for some time but I would need a 10 year loan to get it. Very nice specs though.

Mike

#17 ·
I was also at the Sony presentation and the Sony consumer electronics spokesman also made several statements related to the need for 4K content. A few points were:
  • There are already more than 60 movies that have been shot and released to digital cinemas in 4K by Sony Pictures and other major studios.
  • They are working closely with Sony Cinema team to increase consumer awareness about 4K
  • Sony is also working to develop a complete line of 4K enabled products so in the future you will be able to enjoy seeing 4K content

A few quick observations on the projector:
  • It looks like an oversized version of the Sony 1080p projectors in that it's big compared to HT 1080p projectors and weights 44 pounds
  • It is claimed to have low noise operation but you couldn't really tell anything about this at the press demo
  • Sony claimes 1,000,000 dynamic on/off contrast ratio with the use of a dynamic iris. Unfortunately even though the conference room used for the Sony presentation had fairly subdued lighting during the video presentation, the CR appeared to be more like 500:1. I hope to see a better demo later of how well this projector can really perform in a bat cave environment (but I don't know if that will be possible here at CEDIA or not).

As stated in previous posts, there was no mention of price, but it was emphasised several times during the presentation that this is the first consumer 4K projector (thus one would expect pricing to be consumer oriented and not a $100K commercial product). I'm certain quite a few of us here on AVS will be asking Sony representatives tomorrow about price. Perhaps they are holding off a little to set the final retail pricing until they have an opportunity to see what JVC will announce. I suspect the above speculated $30K price point may not be too far off the mark.

#21 ·
You hit the nail on the head there Mark. Spot on. Even more a bonus if they bring it in below the $30k mark.

#22 ·
Not that I can afford it anyway, but if I could, I wouldnt buy it for the following reasons

1) Owning a 4K projector will make me long for 4K material... and there just isn't any out there other than a few youtube overcompressed vids. I would guess you'd need to hook it up to a PC to get full resolution to then view those Youtube vids.

2) It has upscaling, but when 4K becomes more "norm", receivers and other stand-alone units will likely have better upscaling.

3) Goes back to number 1, but since you'll likely be viewing 1080p material or less 99%+ of the time, the cost difference does not justify it

4) Is the native resolution going to be "standard" for all 4K displays.. I have a feeling it won't.

Some arguments FOR getting it:

Bigger screens (150"+) requires higher res and more lumens.

When you do have some 4K Material.. watch out, it'll look awesome

Overall sounds like an awesome projector regardless of the res.

BTW - most people here should probably avoid using the term "future proof" because people like us don't usually keep a device long enough to realize its future-proofness
After buying this, next yr they'll announce a new one, and you'll buy that too!

#23 ·
I wounder if the vpl-vw1000 can handle 48hz ? If that becoms a realety in a new 4k format.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey /forum/post/20919515

I did and that was my point. Why make an announcement of a new HT projector with no price and then mention one that costs 1/10th the expected price.

What's the big deal? All PR are good PR even if you dont agree with Sony. My guess is that there will be other announcements about 4k and Sony just wanted to line up first, that's all. It's a dance here and the one that announces pricing last wins.