Problem with Sony VPL VW85 Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All. Having a problem with my Sony VPL VW85 Projector as follow:

We would be watching a movie and suddenly, for no reason the projector would shut down (total darkness) and then automatically re start up back into the movie.

This happens very intermittently, sometimes after 15 mins and sometimes after 1 1/2 and sometimes not at all.
We use the HDMI input and no, I dont think its loosing synch with blu ray player because the Projector actually shuts down and anyway, I have pulled out the HDMI cable from the player and the projector is still running ok.

Has anyone had this experience and if so, the cause or outcome to fix it.
I have put mine in for repair, and yes, you guessed it, they cannot make it do this so I am stuck with a bill for no repair. All they can say is put up with it until it gets more permanent or repeatable with this fault.
Its on an extended warranty but even these people do not want to pay the repairer cause they say there is not a fault.

What the hell do I do with this I am wondering.

Any help or advise greatly appreciated.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If the pj shuts down and then re starts I would suspect overheating. Does the fans increase before the shutdown? Do you live at altitude?
post #3 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

If the pj shuts down and then re starts I would suspect overheating. Does the fans increase before the shutdown? Do you live at altitude?

I did not notice any increase in fan speed or noise to indicate and no, I do not live at altitude, in fact I live at sea level.

Yes, That was my thought, Overheating, Yet there is no indication of that as the shut down could happen after say 20 mins or an hour, or not at all. In other words it is completely random. Again the room was at times, warm (not hot, just comfortable) and at other times fairly cool. In any event, I have experienced the problem with the fan on Normal AND High speed.

The Problem is, because of its randomness, the Sony repair centre can not duplicate this problem and although it is under a Sony extended warranty I believe they are going to charge me.

So, not only do I not get it fixed, I am going to have to pay for that privilege.

What can I do?

John
post #4 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Are you on a surge protector or UPS?
Try running from another outlet or another power source maybe, switch the UPS or surge protector out as well. Run an extension cable from another room if you have to.

Change all cables out, HDMI, power cable, and otherwise, only run it on new cables just for testing.

It sounds like it could be electrical...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Liked: 10
Hi, I'm from Taiwan.

I got same problem as yours. I add an AVR and no help. The agent of SONY here keep told me no fault of this projector. I think it's a bug, but they have no idea how to fix it.

I think my next projector will NOT have "SONY" label.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

I like coderguy's advice. Could be a sag that is causing the shutdown.

This kind of thing will be detrimental to the bulb life. I'd get some manner of UPS w/battery back-up and maybe check the wiring in your home.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I think there was something in the VW70 topic here, don't know if that's the same thing?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 AM

My first posting and I wish it was good news. Our unit was purchased in October 2009 and the lamp is near 900 hours I believe. It's randomly resetting almost every day we use it for the last month. In any case, it's out of warranty, so I'm tempted to buy new projector instead of dealing with Sony...

I haven't seen any solutions posted to this problem and here is another thread-search for "vw85 rebooting"

Paul
post #9 of 13 Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 19
I participated in the thread you referenced by the previous post and have the same issue. I'm nudging this thread because it's newer of the two (relatively speaking) and I came here hoping that someone had had some luck getting this fixed.

I have "game night" for console gaming every other week at my place and it went months without ever resetting during those 3.5 hour sessions, but for the last two game nights, there's been one/two resets. It also resets once about every three movies watched (so once per ~6 hours of operation?) Mv VW100 "ruby" never had any problems of the sort (it had plenty of its own issues to be sure)

It is not:
- power (dedicated 20-amp circuit, tried with and without high quality UPS)
- hdmi cable (issue occured with DVI from HTPC as well)
- AVR (see hdmi above)
- heat (has happened at a variety of ambient temps, at a variety of power-on durations (though it seems to need to be on for at least 30 minutes or so to occur))

What I do know is that it acts almost like a full power down. The lamp is off, the receiver loses HDMI signal, etc... then the lamp comes back on, followed by the "Starting...." notice in the corner.

If it gets bad enough to be more than an occasional inconvenience, then I guess I'll be stuck buying a new projector, because Sony seems to think it's some external factor (even though clearly it's a recurring reported issue for this model).

On the bright side, I still have no regrets! As odd as it sounds, it bothers me less than the things that bugged me about the VW100 (for which I paid a great deal more years earlier). Just hanging in there until 4k projectors hit the right price point (if the vw85 can last that long)

Until then, I would love to know if anyone with this problem managed to get sony to fix it...

[edit]
Link to other thread (forgot I was the one who opened it)
[/edit]

[2007]Supporter of both HD DVD and Blu-ray - a win/win solution.[/2007] [2008]... erm...  Say... anyone wanna buy some HD-DVDs?[/2008]

post #10 of 13 Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 AM

One interesting tid-bit:

The resetting problem has gone away since I changed the bulb with a new OEM part (I think it had about 1500 hours before the swap). I haven't seen it shutdown and we're now at about 500 hours. Worth a try, but I guess it depends on how many hours are on the bulb. Perhaps a survey is in order if there still folks trying to resolve this problem?

rolleyes.gif
Paul
post #11 of 13 Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had the same problem with the projector turning itself off for no apparent reason. Last week I couldn't get it to turn off and I had to kill the power to it. I'm sure Sony knows they have a problem. They're just lying to their customers because it would cost them money to resolve properly the issue, you stupid Gaijin.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Liked: 13
I have had this problem with the SONY Pearl 50. It shuts down for my blu ray player (Oppo 95) over the HDMI connection IF I have not first atleast let the PJ warm up with the non-HDMI connections i.e. if I start with non-HDMI connection (e.g. for my cable) and watch for 10-15 min and then switch to the blu ray over HDMI - everything works fine. If I go directly to blu ray over hdmi on power up - the projector will shut down in 5 minutes. I have not been able to resolve this issue.
Khoa T Hoang likes this.

Tarun
post #13 of 13 Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM

QUOTE:
I have had this problem with the SONY Pearl 50. It shuts down for my blu ray player (Oppo 95) over the HDMI connection IF I have not first atleast let the PJ warm up with the non-HDMI connections i.e. if I start with non-HDMI connection (e.g. for my cable) and watch for 10-15 min and then switch to the blu ray over HDMI - everything works fine. If I go directly to blu ray over hdmi on power up - the projector will shut down in 5 minutes. I have not been able to resolve this issue.

Hi ChadhaT
I have the exact same problem with the Pearl; I wish to learn more from you if you have any new solutions. I just ordered a new bulb although my current has only 75H, because sometimes when my Pearl resets, I see that the red light blinks 3 times and pause, referring to manual meaning lamp overheat.
Any input/insight is much appreciated!
Thank you.
Khoa
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw85

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page