Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 4432 Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen911 View Post

Just got one of these and I think it great but have run into a small problem when using the ISCO III - it blocks the ir emitter for the 3d glasses :-(

As the panasonic one is so expensive, does anyone know if its possible to use one of the other manufactures emitter and just modify the connection the 7000?

thanks

If you don't get anywhere with other methods, I have a ETTRM110 Panasonic IR emitter that I ordered, but never took out of the box.

I use rear projection and I thought the distance combined with the density of the grey screen would be a problem for the glasses to work. I was wrong, the glasses work fine from all angles in the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 4432 Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I didnt want to start a new thread, but we currently have a Benq 720p projector. Seeing as prices are about the same for both today, I am debating between this projector and the Benq W7000. I was wondering if any of you auditioned that projector before buying the panasonic?

rather, what specifically drove you to buying LCD over DLP, i guess is my question. Thanks
post #2973 of 4432 Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I can't stand DLP because of the colour wheel. Even the latest generation shows the rainbow effect (for me) and induces motion sickness (for my kid).

Only when I can afford 3-chip DLP I'll go with DLP.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #2974 of 4432 Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I can't stand DLP because of the colour wheel. Even the latest generation shows the rainbow effect (for me) and induces motion sickness (for my kid).

Only when I can afford 3-chip DLP I'll go with DLP.

same as me, I can't stand single chip DLP's.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #2975 of 4432 Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I haven't read this whole thread. The Benq owners are having issues with some stuff but it seems to be getting cleared up slowly. Are there any major issues with this projector?
post #2976 of 4432 Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 PM

So how much will using a calibration disc like WOW improve black level and shadow detail. I've owned this projector for about a month, and I haven't been 100% satisfied in these areas. Blacks seemed a bit crushed. I know there are so many variables that can effect black level, just wondering if I can expect great deal of improvement with calibration. Thanks.
post #2977 of 4432 Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

I haven't read this whole thread. The Benq owners are having issues with some stuff but it seems to be getting cleared up slowly. Are there any major issues with this projector?

An often reported problem with the Panasonic 7000 is bulb flicker, particularly with models from September and October of last year. I have one made in November and ::knocks on wood:: so far no flicker yet.

Many folks have sent these in for repair and gotten them back either with a replaced bulb, replaced ballast, and/or a firmware update depending on what the Servicing Center had available/chose to use.

Other users let the bulb continue to work and over time the flicker went away on it's own. It's worth mentioning that the Panasonic 7000 is absolutely *not* the only projector to have issues with flicker. Flicker is a known issue with the type of bulb most of these projectors use.

There have also been reports of unacceptable crosstalk when viewing 3D. wgf_bean and William G have come up with a really good workaround to this a page or two back that minimizes this issue for lots of people.

Now for the positive: Correctly set up the picture from the Panasonic 7000 can be breathtaking! It is an incredibly strong 2D projector with excellent image production, and it's 3D is very good as well.

Every projector at this pricepoint has compromises and so you have to buy based on what you watch.
post #2978 of 4432 Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post

So how much will using a calibration disc like WOW improve black level and shadow detail. I've owned this projector for about a month, and I haven't been 100% satisfied in these areas. Blacks seemed a bit crushed. I know there are so many variables that can effect black level, just wondering if I can expect great deal of improvement with calibration. Thanks.

I think you'll well get your $30 worth from the WOW disc. It should help get you a good basic set up of Contrast, Brightness, Color and Sharpness. The projector is not that bad right out of the box depending on mode, but it still needs some tweaking.

Just understand that it does not and is not designed to replace an actual ISF calibration which costs much more than the cost of this disc and would be needed to achieve the maximum possible results.
post #2979 of 4432 Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Oh well. I can't wait to dump my PT-AE7000U for the inevitable PT-AE8000U or whatever it will be called, with "working" 3D.

Isn't that called planned obsolescence? Try Happy Feet 2 for a ghosting treat!
Remember don't look where you're supposed to. Just look everywhere else. And to think that we didn't believe in ghosts. 3D has made a believer out of me.
post #2980 of 4432 Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post

An often reported problem with the Panasonic 7000 is bulb flicker, particularly with models from September and October of last year. I have one made in November and ::knocks on wood:: so far no flicker yet.

Many folks have sent these in for repair and gotten them back either with a replaced bulb, replaced ballast, and/or a firmware update depending on what the Servicing Center had available/chose to use.

Other users let the bulb continue to work and over time the flicker went away on it's own. It's worth mentioning that the Panasonic 7000 is absolutely *not* the only projector to have issues with flicker. Flicker is a known issue with the type of bulb most of these projectors use.

There have also been reports of unacceptable crosstalk when viewing 3D. wgf_bean and William G have come up with a really good workaround to this a page or two back that minimizes this issue for lots of people.

Now for the positive: Correctly set up the picture from the Panasonic 7000 can be breathtaking! It is an incredibly strong 2D projector with excellent image production, and it's 3D is very good as well.

Every projector at this pricepoint has compromises and so you have to buy based on what you watch.

Guys, my flicker comes after I watch 3D in Dynamic mode and lamp in Bright. When I return to Normal mode and lamp in Eco, it slowly disappears. Could it be just a bad bulb (I bought the PJ in December)? I'd really rather get a new bulb then send the 7000 for repair, as 3D in Dynamic (despite the change in color tones) is simply a must for me (cause it's much brighter).
Helcio
post #2981 of 4432 Old 03-06-2012, 01:45 AM

I just started getting flicker, but in my case I dont think it is the projector.

It only happens on HD recorded premium channels like Showtime. This flicker is fast (less than a second) and alternates between a normal image and a washed out image.
Mine started after updating to the latest Nvidia driver for my 560 Ti card.
I need to research this one to find out the exact cause.
Other than that, I have had my AE7000 since last October and it is working great.
post #2982 of 4432 Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post

I just started getting flicker, but in my case I dont think it is the projector.

It only happens on HD recorded premium channels like Showtime. This flicker is fast (less than a second) and alternates between a normal image and a washed out image.
Mine started after updating to the latest Nvidia driver for my 560 Ti card.
I need to research this one to find out the exact cause.
Other than that, I have had my AE7000 since last October and it is working great.

That doesn't sound like the flicker issue. I've had similar issues to what you describe on HDTV recordings done on my HTPC. In my case I disabled "Dynamic Contrast" in the settings for my video card and it got much better, but not completely clear. I think this issue has to do with deinterlacing a 1080i image or is an artifact of previous deinterlacing.
post #2983 of 4432 Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho View Post

Guys, my flicker comes after I watch 3D in Dynamic mode and lamp in Bright. When I return to Normal mode and lamp in Eco, it slowly disappears. Could it be just a bad bulb (I bought the PJ in December)? I'd really rather get a new bulb then send the 7000 for repair, as 3D in Dynamic (despite the change in color tones) is simply a must for me (cause it's much brighter).
Helcio

Do you only get flicker watching 3D? If so, what glasses do you use? It could be a result of a bad sync if it's only during 3D.
post #2984 of 4432 Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 PM

Ha! My Ty-EW3D3 Active Shutter 3D Eyewear/Small (TYEW3D3SU) that I ordered back on 10/3/2011 are finally shipping from ProVantage today! Crazy ridiculous!
post #2985 of 4432 Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 PM

Not really, Billqs. I use Panny 3 gen glasses. The flicker starts 15-20 minutes into the movie. Sometimes after I finish 3D and switch to 2D. But I think it has to do with the Dynamic mode. Maybe it demands too much from the bulb or the ballast? Wish I knew...
Helcio
post #2986 of 4432 Old 03-06-2012, 05:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Helcio

I'm no authority on this lamp issue but I can tell you my experience.

When mine started to flicker I was frustrated but decided to wait in the hope that the problem would go away on it's own. In my case it fixed itself. I can't remember how long it took. I should have noted the lamp run times. I think if you leave the lamp in normal power mode it may reduce the amount of time it takes fix itself.

So far the flicker has not returned on my unit.
post #2987 of 4432 Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 PM

Anyone else have brightness in all four corners on an all black screen? Is this something I can send the projector in to repair or is this just inherent with this projector?
post #2988 of 4432 Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post

Anyone else have brightness in all four corners on an all black screen? Is this something I can send the projector in to repair or is this just inherent with this projector?

Yes, everyone has this problem. It's a known design issue that has no resolution. I believe a Panasonic rep said it was a result of how their dynamic iris works.
post #2989 of 4432 Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM

I just bot my AE 7k and I am blown away by the fact that Projectors can look this good for this "little" money. I always had this mindset that Projectors all look as terrible as the ones we used to have in school. Never did it cross my mind that for $3k,- (and $300 mail in rebate in my case) one can buy something of this quality. I don't know why I even considered buying a large Plasma tv for almost the same price, that wouldn't even be near as big as my 106" screen.

I will post pictures once I have it all set, but until then I have a few questions.

Is there a thread where I can read up on how to calibrate this thing? As in, how to know when the right focus is right? Color etc. brightness. Any settings I need to look for? I saw that there is some kind of "auto adjustment" thingy, that I am not really understanding yet.

Also, I still have my Spears and Munsil calibration blu ray that I used to my Plasma TV, will that work for a Projector?

Thanks,

Ray

Projector: AE7000
Screen: 5x12 Wilson Art Laminate Designer White
Receiver: Denon 2112Ci
Fronts: DefTech 8020ST
Center: DefTech 8040HD
Side Surround: DefTech SR 8040 BPs
Rear Surround: DefTech PM 1000s
Subwoofers: 2x HSU VTF 15H's
post #2990 of 4432 Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgf_bean View Post

I'm no authority on this lamp issue but I can tell you my experience.

When mine started to flicker I was frustrated but decided to wait in the hope that the problem would go away on it's own. In my case it fixed itself. I can't remember how long it took. I should have noted the lamp run times. I think if you leave the lamp in normal power mode it may reduce the amount of time it takes fix itself.

So far the flicker has not returned on my unit.

Same thing happened to me. It was bad for 50-some hours, then it got better till it disappeared. Except in 3D Dynamic with lamp in Normal. Last night I tried 3D Dynamic in Eco and the flicker did not appear. Maybe that's what does it for me.
Thanks!!
post #2991 of 4432 Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Same thing happened to me. It was bad for 50-some hours, then it got better till it disappeared. Except in 3D Dynamic with lamp in Normal. Last night I tried 3D Dynamic in Eco and the flicker did not appear. Maybe that's what does it for me.
Thanks!!

I bought mine when they first came out and started getting the flicker a couple weeks back. It's pretty bad especially in certain picture modes. Have people been getting these repaired/replaced under warranty? The problems I've been having are unacceptably bad.
post #2992 of 4432 Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowgow View Post

I bought mine when they first came out and started getting the flicker a couple weeks back. It's pretty bad especially in certain picture modes. Have people been getting these repaired/replaced under warranty? The problems I've been having are unacceptably bad.

I can pretty much say for certain that they will put a new bulb in and may update the firmware. Thats about all they are going to do.

post #2993 of 4432 Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:

My flicker started at 137 hours of use -- real baaad! -- lasted for 50-some hours and then practically disappeared. If I were you I'd be patient and wait. It'll probably go away.
Helcio
post #2994 of 4432 Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I can pretty much say for certain that they will put a new bulb in and may update the firmware. Thats about all they are going to do.

This is fine if it fixes the problem. Has anyone here sent in their projector for the flicker problem and had it resolved?
post #2995 of 4432 Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Has anyone calibrated Game mode? The colors seem really out of whack in games, but need to use that mode to help with lag. Another question, any notice any difference between Normal and Fast frame response? Which mode do you use?
post #2996 of 4432 Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is fine if it fixes the problem. Has anyone here sent in their projector for the flicker problem and had it resolved?

Ya me. New bulb and over 200 hours and not a hint of a flicker.

post #2997 of 4432 Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Isn't that called planned obsolescence? Try Happy Feet 2 for a ghosting treat!
Remember don't look where you're supposed to. Just look everywhere else. And to think that we didn't believe in ghosts. 3D has made a believer out of me.

I have Happy Feet 2, definitely has ghosting issues but it pales in comparison to Day of the Dead 3D. This title easily exhibits the worst ghosting of any 3D movie I've ever seen, and will ever see. It's horrendous.
This is an exert from a review of the movie:

"You’re here to hear about the 3D. It’s bad. The worst conversion period.
Worse than Conan the Barbarian. Worse than The Last Airbender. Worse than Harry Potter 7 part 2.
Day of the Dead 3D is the worst 3D conversion ever made."

and..........

"So how does the 3D look? Ghosty. Very, very ghosty........Every single shot has ghosting, every single frame has ghosting. Each character has a ghost, each prop, and each tree, leaf; every shaft of light has ghosting. I threw on a second pair of glasses to see what would happen; nope no change. Everything in this film has ghosting and while I tried to look past it and concentrate on something else; I realized I couldn’t as my new object of focus also had ghosting."
post #2998 of 4432 Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 PM

Hey guys,
tonight i just noticed on the right side of the picture (middle) that i see a Red circular spot/blob that's about 6-8 inches. Does any body have a clue what this could be? I have about 190hrs on my projector.
post #2999 of 4432 Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 369
dust blob perhaps?

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #3000 of 4432 Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just got the Panasonic and after a bit of calibration(out of the box, it definately needs it, the colours were way off), I watched Tangled in both 2D and 3D, I've seen this movie a couple of times on my Mits hc3800 dlp and it was very good on that projector but on the Pana the 2D image was stunning, the improvement over the Mits was really significant. I haven't been that wowed by a picture in some time actually.

So then I tried 3D and was not so impressed, yes I did see some crosstalk which I was able to minimise with calibration and it seem to get less as time went on, I don't know whether that was just me mentally tuning it out or the projector warming up, in any case I really didn't care for the 3D effect. There are certain aspects of 3D that can be pretty impressive at times but mostly for me the negatives outway the positives. For one there was almost no pop out effects in the movie, it was all depth and this made the image seem smaller somehow. In 2D on my 160" 16:9 HP screen the image was very immersive. I also didn't like the way 3D forces your eyes to focus, I found it uncomfortable and distracting. Probably the worst part was that the image would get very jittery during action or any movement and that resulted in loss of detail and further eye strain and distaction.

After being so impressed with the 2D image, 3D just seems kind of pointless to me and it has too many negatives. I'd rather they just improved the quality of the source material for 2D and forget about 3D to be honest. Anyway for 2D I'm very happy with Panasonic thus far and hope to improve it with further calibration.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Projectors , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page