post #3961 of 4432 Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

...Funny, I've never noticed this parallax problem on 3D motion...

Haha, my thoughts exactly. A fix for something so subtle that I've never seen it mentioned once on any 3-D forum I've ever visited. Now tell me you've got the crosstalk and lamp flicker problems licked and you might have a willing buyer here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4432 Old 08-30-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Definitely good to hear.
I also found out that the guy who was going to let me sample his Klipsch sound system (one setup I'm looking at) also has this projector, so I'm going to be sampling out my Street Fighter 4 game over there as well so I can see how the lag feels to me with the game that I am extremely sensitive to.

Haha, your probably going to want to buy my subs too...

Or, I could do your wallet a favor and just not play them at all...

=)

post #3963 of 4432 Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Haha, your probably going to want to buy my subs too...
Or, I could do your wallet a favor and just not play them at all...
=)

Definitely need to hear some subs because I don't really have any idea yet what I'm going to be doing along those lines.
post #3964 of 4432 Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 11
This is my second Pany projector and I sent it in for service since it was out of convergence and the 3D crosstalk was not what I paid for. They finally called me yesterday after having my projector for 10 days to tell me they could not find anything wrong with it and it was tested within normal param. Really. I sent them the pics of a convergence image and they had no answer. They want me to get it back and reinstall it and if it still has the problem, to take a photo of the setup and a pic of the lens with the lens shift cover off. WTF?? This is bs. I know when I see convergence off. I've had old crt projectors that had better convergence. And now it appears they've fixed issues with a new projector. I'm pissed.
ckenisell likes this.
post #3965 of 4432 Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildt View Post

That's as close as it gets to Panasonic admitting they effed up with the temperature regulation on the 5000/7000. This could easily be fixed in a firmware upgrade, but that'd probably kill the sales of the 6000/8000.

Here is another review that implies that improvement in crosstalk in the 8000/6000 is accomplished via temperature control.

It states:
Quote:
...As for crosstalk, it should be reduced by a new system for making sure the projector warms up faster, since crosstalk tends to be worse when the room and/or optical system is running cold...
post #3966 of 4432 Old 08-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Liked: 10
Panasonic are going to give themselves (and their customers) a real headache with their current 3D strategy. They're the only company actively using all three types of glasses. I've found sourcing the IR glasses much more difficult lately, so I hope they're keep a reasonable supply of these around for their projector customers (and that they don't raise the price for their captive market..).
post #3967 of 4432 Old 08-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBNZ View Post

Panasonic are going to give themselves (and their customers) a real headache with their current 3D strategy. They're the only company actively using all three types of glasses. I've found sourcing the IR glasses much more difficult lately, so I hope they're keep a reasonable supply of these around for their projector customers (and that they don't raise the price for their captive market..).

On the contrary, I think they would have alienated many 7000/5000 owners upgrading to the 8000/6000 had they switched to RF. Those owners, who had already invested hundreds of dollars in IR glasswear, would find themselves in the position of having to outfit themselves all over again.
post #3968 of 4432 Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2008 View Post

I am the owner of this projector since last year Oct.
I also know the flicker issue exist and didn't think it will happen on mine. But it is happening now.
Lamp is at 558 hrs
But I really haven't seen any fix to this issue other than sending it back for service.
Some people were saying switch ECO / Normal Modes around or change the lamp............
And This thread has been growning to 132 pages....I might miss some tips related to the flicker fix.
Can anyone point out the correct fix to this issue ? much appreciated!!!

Just read from p1 - 131

Really !? The only thing to fix it is to send it in for service !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?
post #3969 of 4432 Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Just read from p1 - 131
Really !? The only thing to fix it is to send it in for service !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Let me barge in and add a few more words to this flickerin' subject that oh so much ticks me off. My lamp started flickering at 137 hrs. I waited for 50 long hrs till it stopped in ECO mode. No more flickering for the next 400 some hrs... till I decided to watch 3D on Normal mode. The flickering resumed and this time my patience wore off. I got a new bulb. It's next to 12 hrs now and everythig seems perfect. Of course 12 hrs is next to nothing, so I'll have to wait till the 100-200-300 hr barriers are crossed -- but who can say it will not be back over 500 hrs? Or 600? 700?
I also read quite a few posts that the PJ had to be sent for service, and I still wonder if that would REALLY solve the problem. If the problem was a bummed ballast, as some said it was, why the heck my new lamp is now working fine? It should be flickering like crazy too. My hunch is that bad bulb batches are the problem -- which i really, REALLY hope Panny fixed on the 8000, with a brighter lamp (I'm scared sh*tless just to think of it -- with greater power comes greater... flickering!). Nobody deserves a flickering lamp. Not even politicians. Or lawyers.
God luck, ime.
post #3970 of 4432 Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Great news about the new model. My AE2000 is still running strong, however its third lamp is approaching 3000 hours and I'm hoping that it will last until the 8000 hits the street. smile.gif
post #3971 of 4432 Old 09-01-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho View Post

I waited for 50 long hrs till it stopped in ECO mode. No more flickering for the next 400 some hrs... till I decided to watch 3D on Normal mode. The flickering resumed and this time my patience wore off. I got a new bulb.

That might have been your problem. For "normal" flickering in PJ lamps, the cure is to run it in high mode for several hours. If you just kept it in ECO, it likely took much longer for the arc to stabilize.
post #3972 of 4432 Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

That might have been your problem. For "normal" flickering in PJ lamps, the cure is to run it in high mode for several hours. If you just kept it in ECO, it likely took much longer for the arc to stabilize.

Yes... but then again the flicker came back after 400 hrs, both in Normal and Eco. And much worse. Well, so far so good with the new lamp.
Sidebar: I had such a hard time trying to calibrate grey scale with the former lamp from the very beginning, and I never got it quite right. With the new lamp it was a cinch! Now the grey scale is just about perfect!!
post #3973 of 4432 Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes... but then again the flicker came back after 400 hrs, both in Normal and Eco. And much worse. Well, so far so good with the new lamp.
Sidebar: I had such a hard time trying to calibrate grey scale with the former lamp from the very beginning, and I never got it quite right. With the new lamp it was a cinch! Now the grey scale is just about perfect!!

If it went away for 400 hours and then came back, it is highly likely that you are just dealing with the "normal" unstable arc issue that exists to some degree in all PJ lamps. I've had two different panny PJs, with a combined four lamps, and this is always encountered from time to time. I usually run mine on eco, but if it starts to flicker I shift it to normal for a week or so. This has always taken care of it for me.
post #3974 of 4432 Old 09-02-2012, 03:38 PM

I went to adjust the lens shift today and without thinking hastily started moving it without unlocking the lens shift lock. I had moved it fairly far before realizing my error. Could I have damaged anything by doing this?
post #3975 of 4432 Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:

If it went away for 400 hours and then came back, it is highly likely that you are just dealing with the "normal" unstable arc issue that exists to some degree in all PJ lamps. I've had two different panny PJs, with a combined four lamps, and this is always encountered from time to time. I usually run mine on eco, but if it starts to flicker I shift it to normal for a week or so. This has always taken care of it for me.

This is my 3rd Panny and I never had flicker problems before. I hope the new lamp holds its ground, as I'm running it in full Normal mode now. No more Eco mode for me .
This lamp is somehow different from the one I got the PJ with, though. As I said, the colors are much more precise and the grey scale is now perfect -- something I could never get with the former bulb.
post #3976 of 4432 Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is my 3rd Panny and I never had flicker problems before. I hope the new lamp holds its ground, as I'm running it in full Normal mode now. No more Eco mode for me .
This lamp is somehow different from the one I got the PJ with, though. As I said, the colors are much more precise and the grey scale is no
w perfect -- something I could never get with the former bulb.

You may have had a bad lamp. I know that some folks who bought early production had some severe flicker problems that went far beyond what I was describing. I guess the good news is that a new lamp may solve your problem. Good luck.
post #3977 of 4432 Old 09-03-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:

This lamp is somehow different from the one I got the PJ with, though. As I said, the colors are much more precise and the grey scale is now perfect -- something I could never get with the former bulb.

Which Bulb is that ?? I m thinking getting it too. Can you show me the model number ? thanks
post #3978 of 4432 Old 09-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker0007 View Post

They want me to get it back and reinstall it and if it still has the problem, to take a photo of the setup and a pic of the lens with the lens shift cover off. WTF?? This is bs. I know when I see convergence off. I've had old crt projectors that had better convergence. And now it appears they've fixed issues with a new projector. I'm pissed.
I suspect they want to see the lens shift in your mounting position, as this does have an impact on screen convergence.

I still have a CRT projector hanging from my ceiling, and initially went to DLP as a digital solution before going to 3xLCD (due to concerns over the fixed panel alignment impact on convergence), so I'm also certainly very aware of convergence.

What would be an interesting test, is for you to center the lens shift and with the projector mounted square to the screen, observe any mis-convergence at the center of the projected image.

Depending on your mounting position / lens shift & zoom use, you can see convergence issues due to the different refractive index of the lens between the red and blue ends of the visible spectrum (optical aberration). I first observed this on my DLP projector. As a single chip DLP has a single point light source, you would assume perfect on-screen RGB convergence, however due to chromatic aberration, moving from one extreme of lens setup to the other extreme you can note the convergence color fringing (red is the most observable) moving fully from one side of the green in a convergence test grid, to the other side of the green. Depending on the quality of the lens design, you can see the same effect from one edge of the screen to the other, especially at extreme zoom.

One of the reasons why, that despite lens shift and other digital projection features, the mounting position for an optimum image is still perfectly square and centered with the screen in the recommended mounting position. i.e. centered lens shift and zoom. Although this isn't of course always practical in every room, it remains as it was with our "old school" CRT projector installations!

My suggestion is that if you perform the above test and can show that with no lens shift you still have the same convergence issues in the centre of the projected image, you probably do have a good argument that your projector has unacceptable panel mis-alignment.
post #3979 of 4432 Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Which Bulb is that ?? I m thinking getting it too. Can you show me the model number ? thanks

The box says: ET-LAA310 for PT AE5000, PT AE7000. That's it.
I am really amazed at the PJ's image quality now -- Top notch WOW factor! Something I'd never seen before!! Maybe because my PJ came with a real bad original bulb?!?
post #3980 of 4432 Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:

You may have had a bad lamp. I know that some folks who bought early production had some severe flicker problems that went far beyond what I was describing. I guess the good news is that a new lamp may solve your problem. Good luck.

Thanks. I'm really excited -- it's as if I got a new PJ with the image quality I've always deamed of!
post #3981 of 4432 Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

The box says: ET-LAA310 for PT AE5000, PT AE7000. That's it.
I am really amazed at the PJ's image quality now -- Top notch WOW factor! Something I'd never seen before!! Maybe because my PJ came with a real bad original bulb?!?

Hummm....

I'm having a pretty serious BS flickering issue as well. Will Panasonic address this under warranty? I really don't want to to have to drop $400 on a new damn bulb.
Quote:

Thanks. I'm really excited -- it's as if I got a new PJ with the image quality I've always deamed of!

I just don't see how your original bulb could have been that bad or how a new bulb could have made that much of a difference? I wish there were a few other people who have gotten the same bulb as you that could weigh in with their opinions...

I'd hate to swap out bulbs only to find out my original bulb wasn't so bad to begin with...

post #3982 of 4432 Old 09-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

How many 7000/5000 owners here are definitely planning on upgrading to the 8000/6000?
post #3983 of 4432 Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Hummm....
I'm having a pretty serious BS flickering issue as well. Will Panasonic address this under warranty? I really don't want to to have to drop $400 on a new damn bulb.
I just don't see how your original bulb could have been that bad or how a new bulb could have made that much of a difference? I wish there were a few other people who have gotten the same bulb as you that could weigh in with their opinions...
I'd hate to swap out bulbs only to find out my original bulb wasn't so bad to begin with...

I can explain it either -- when I changed the damned lamp everything was differente in terms of color tones and grey scale. A real big and remarkable difference. As i said -- I either got a real bad bulb with the PJ or a miracle happened with the new lamp. It feels like having a totally different PJ. I was so pi**ed you have no idea. Not even my wife ticks me off as bad as a flickering image. Now I have to see if this will last... I'd be happy to know if the same thing happened to other people too.
post #3984 of 4432 Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

How many 7000/5000 owners here are definitely planning on upgrading to the 8000/6000?

The big question is -- will it be worth it?
post #3985 of 4432 Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The big question is -- will it be worth it?

I am hoping some brave pioneers will be able to tell us. biggrin.gif

Personally, I'll be waiting on the sidelines until some real world comparisons are made.
post #3986 of 4432 Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone have problems with Panasonic Warranty Repair Service turnaround time? They had my projector for over a week now to fix the dreaded flicker problem (lamp only had 114 hours) and I haven't heard from them. The problem is, the service was still just noted as "received". The customer service rep stated they haven't begun work on it. I'm just bringing this up because the paperwork they sent me stated a promised 2-4 business day turnaround.
post #3987 of 4432 Old 09-05-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post

Anyone have problems with Panasonic Warranty Repair Service turnaround time? They had my projector for over a week now to fix the dreaded flicker problem (lamp only had 114 hours) and I haven't heard from them. The problem is, the service was still just noted as "received". The customer service rep stated they haven't begun work on it. I'm just bringing this up because the paperwork they sent me stated a promised 2-4 business day turnaround.

Reason why I was so wary of sending my PJ for repair. They may take forever to do nothing.
post #3988 of 4432 Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I am hoping some brave pioneers will be able to tell us. biggrin.gif
Personally, I'll be waiting on the sidelines until some real world comparisons are made.

Ditto.
post #3989 of 4432 Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

After reading the review several times, I can't find a single improvement that I would consider significant enough to justify an upgrade.

The most significant quantitative improvement is greater light output. My theater is totally light controlled and the 7000 is more than bright enough in "normal" mode, so I run mine in "eco". More light output might make a difference to those who have to contend with light intrusion, to compensate for the lamp as it ages, or for the option of having some room light available so you can see where you set your beer while watching football. But I don't drink, and I have little interest in football.

Minor improvements applicable to 3D, most notably "motion remaster" which could be interesting, and the addition real-time 3D depth control vs. the existing control using a fixed image.

The review explains the need for depth control thus:
Quote:
I mean the filmmakers intentionally or unintentionally abuse 3D technology to create exaggerated depth and pop in their films. What this ends up doing is causing eyestrain. To fix this, the AE8000 has a depth control for 3D in the form of its 3D waveform monitor (ed. note: so does the 7000).

True, but I think a properly filmed 3D movie should not exaggerate the effect. Watching a badly produced 3D movie is going to be unpleasant. I don't want to have to mess with my projector to fix a movie's flaws. Some 3D movies (Harry Potter) are going to look like junk no matter what you do. I'd be interested to know what 3D movies are so spectacular they would make such a nuanced control worthwhile. In any event, I have not found any need to modify my 7000's depth control from its defaults.

Another new feature is frame creation in 2D to 3D mode... but I've experimented with 2D to 3D conversion and concluded it's not worth any further experimentation.

The lens shift joystick is supposed to work better but I question the effectiveness of polishing that turd of an idea.

There is zero mention of the crosstalk problem for which others have expressed concern, and which I have not observed anyway.

As a projector in its own right I think the 8000 will be phenomenal... but as a significant improvement over the 7000? I'd give it a solid "meh".

Like I said earlier,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sj7gt View Post

... expect only a "modest update"... if any.

If availability of the 8000 results in a price drop for the 7000, and you're in the market for one, grab it. There may never be a better time.
post #3990 of 4432 Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Could one of you 7000 owners please answer a question for me. Does the dreaded "joystick" have a center detent setting (i.e. a perfectly centered position where it "snaps" to zero-offset positoin)? My AE2000's lens shift has that and I'm hoping that the newest models (7000 and 8000) have that as well. Thanks.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Projectors , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page