Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 4432 Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

jachob, thanks for the information. It's further evidence that ambient temperatures really can affect crosstalk significantly, even if the projector itself is warmed up. The strange thing to me is that with my 7000U (5000U in your location) and 8000U, I could be displaying barely any crosstalk at the start of the movie (after device warm-up, of course), and then as time went on the movie would degrade into a crosstalk nightmare. This is what led us to the theory of the Panasonic not be able to actually maintain the critical temperatures needed for excellent 3D.

I don't know, though. The whole thing was just peculiar. Since I've switched to the Sony LCOS projectors, my crosstalk (or lack thereof, I should say) has been 100% rock solid/stable.

In any case, many of us might think having to heat a room for several hours isn't ideal when you just want to pop a movie in and watch.. frown.gif
I know what you mean it just doesn't regulate the heat properly. I think a little help with the vents might sort it ill try covering one cm at a time to see if that help it maintain a stable heat. Glad you sorted it out as going back to 2011 must of been tough & I don't think I would of had the patients that you had. If I get any nonsense from this projector that I can't sort ill ship it out & look at another but for now she,s looking good & coming from an Infocus IN76 it' looks bloody amazing in 2d. In76 served we well though no problems just another bulb in 6 years of ownership. ill check out the Sony as I know you would of looked into that like your life depended on it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4432 Old 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachob View Post

I know what you mean it just doesn't regulate the heat properly. I think a little help with the vents might sort it ill try covering one cm at a time to see if that help it maintain a stable heat. Glad you sorted it out as going back to 2011 must of been tough & I don't think I would of had the patients that you had. If I get any nonsense from this projector that I can't sort ill ship it out & look at another but for now she,s looking good & coming from an Infocus IN76 it' looks bloody amazing in 2d. In76 served we well though no problems just another bulb in 6 years of ownership. ill check out the Sony as I know you would of looked into that like your life depended on it!!

Well, yes going from a >7 year-old projector, of course the Panasonic looks good! However, I would say that out of ALL the current projectors in that price range, you can do much, much better. If you just bought it, and are having to go to great lengths (e.g. heating a room for HOURS!) to get reduced crosstalk, I'd really, really recommend getting a different projector.

Recommendation: Epson 5030UB / TW9200. It's highly regarded currently, and will give you more stable 3D as well as better... everything? smile.gif

*edit*

Forgot this is the PT-AE5000U, not the 6000U.. Well.... it will depend on how much you paid for it, of course. If you got it for really cheap, then you probably did well. 3D isn't the be-all, end-all, anyway... Depends what percentage of viewing is 3D?
post #4413 of 4432 Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Well, yes going from a >7 year-old projector, of course the Panasonic looks good! However, I would say that out of ALL the current projectors in that price range, you can do much, much better. If you just bought it, and are having to go to great lengths (e.g. heating a room for HOURS!) to get reduced crosstalk, I'd really, really recommend getting a different projector.

Recommendation: Epson 5030UB / TW9200. It's highly regarded currently, and will give you more stable 3D as well as better... everything? smile.gif

*edit*

Forgot this is the PT-AE5000U, not the 6000U.. Well.... it will depend on how much you paid for it, of course. If you got it for really cheap, then you probably did well. 3D isn't the be-all, end-all, anyway... Depends what percentage of viewing is 3D?

I will give my mate a ring to see if he's got a demo of the epsom he can bring round it would be good to see. I did get a very good deal on the 5000 it was £1300 & stunning picture quality maybe they done a firmware update on the 2012/2013 5000 also i must add that in the uk it's bloody freezing my theatre is above a double garage & it can go a few days with no heating in there so I always preheat the room anyway & ill just put the projector on at the same time but well see its good at the moment & ill hopefully Demo the Epsom but as I say if it does play up ill get rid of it as I've spent years on this room & it's still not finished that why I didn't upgrade as the room just wasn't ready but it's close now. Ill upload a few pictures when it's done it's loosely based on the inside of a Star Wars/Star Trek ship as I have a simulator set up in there for racing & flight/space sims. nice to lock yourself away sometimes. good to speak to you.
post #4414 of 4432 Old 11-14-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will give my mate a ring to see if he's got a demo of the epsom he can bring round it would be good to see. I did get a very good deal on the 5000 it was £1300 & stunning picture quality maybe they done a firmware update on the 2012/2013 5000 also i must add that in the uk it's bloody freezing my theatre is above a double garage & it can go a few days with no heating in there so I always preheat the room anyway & ill just put the projector on at the same time but well see its good at the moment & ill hopefully Demo the Epsom but as I say if it does play up ill get rid of it as I've spent years on this room & it's still not finished that why I didn't upgrade as the room just wasn't ready but it's close now. Ill upload a few pictures when it's done it's loosely based on the inside of a Star Wars/Star Trek ship as I have a simulator set up in there for racing & flight/space sims. nice to lock yourself away sometimes. good to speak to you.

No worries. smile.gif

I'm from the UK, so I understand the weather well. I live in the States currently (grew up in North London). Anyhoo, the projector should be able to achieve the temperature it needs by itself. What is the ambient temperature of the room without your heating adjustments just to watch movies?
post #4415 of 4432 Old 11-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:

No worries. smile.gif

I'm from the UK, so I understand the weather well. I live in the States currently (grew up in North London). Anyhoo, the projector should be able to achieve the temperature it needs by itself. What is the ambient temperature of the room without your heating adjustments just to watch movies?
Well I had the projector delivered 2 days ago at it was -1 outside overnight so at a guess it might of been about 5 or 6 degrees C I hadn't been in there for a few days before as I run a business & if we are really busy I don't get much time in there but we have taken on a new member of staff & if that works out ill finish the bugger eventually!! So in all honesty the 5000 had its work cut out as even after an hour it would not of been much more than 14c I spoke to Dave a friend of mine that works selling projectors & he is aware of problems with the 5000/7000 but he personally hasn't had one that has give him all the stuff about crosstalk buzzing etc when I told him about this site and your story he said there must of been a dodgy batch or something. But in normal room conditions 18c+ etc he doesn't think there will be an issue as a lot of people seem really happy with them but he's looking to see if he can get his hands on an Epsom as he hasn't got one right now to Demo but he knows there good so shouldn't take him too long to get one tomorrow I'm going to get the room to a normal temp around 18c then turn on the 5000 to see how long it takes before all crosstalk has disappeared hopefully less than 2 hours!! The room is 25" x 16" which isn't a bad size as you know in the UK but I think it's a bit different in the states.
post #4416 of 4432 Old 11-14-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I had the projector delivered 2 days ago at it was -1 outside overnight so at a guess it might of been about 5 or 6 degrees C I hadn't been in there for a few days before as I run a business & if we are really busy I don't get much time in there but we have taken on a new member of staff & if that works out ill finish the bugger eventually!! So in all honesty the 5000 had its work cut out as even after an hour it would not of been much more than 14c I spoke to Dave a friend of mine that works selling projectors & he is aware of problems with the 5000/7000 but he personally hasn't had one that has give him all the stuff about crosstalk buzzing etc when I told him about this site and your story he said there must of been a dodgy batch or something. But in normal room conditions 18c+ etc he doesn't think there will be an issue as a lot of people seem really happy with them but he's looking to see if he can get his hands on an Epsom as he hasn't got one right now to Demo but he knows there good so shouldn't take him too long to get one tomorrow I'm going to get the room to a normal temp around 18c then turn on the 5000 to see how long it takes before all crosstalk has disappeared hopefully less than 2 hours!! The room is 25" x 16" which isn't a bad size as you know in the UK but I think it's a bit different in the states.

That is VERY cold. Given that, I'm not really surprised... Still probably worth seeing if the Epson handles those temperatures more easily if you can. HOWEVER, why would you ever watch a movie in 5-6C or even 14C! That's COLD!
post #4417 of 4432 Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:

That is VERY cold. Given that, I'm not really surprised... Still probably worth seeing if the Epson handles those temperatures more easily if you can. HOWEVER, why would you ever watch a movie in 5-6C or even 14C! That's COLD!
Ha ha I don't normally watch films in that temp sounds bloody depressing I was just testing out the panny couldn't wait to rip the bugger out of the box and just converted the bracket that the Infocus was on & away I went if I've arranged for some friends to come round or a family time in the theatre then I pre heat to about 20c+ then all the body heat it gets pretty warm & I've got a 11 month old and another on the way so I havnt spent as much time in there but a game (War Thunder )has got be back into the flight sims dog fighting as Microsoft can't be arsed to make a decent one so tomorrow I will emulate a night in theatre which will be warm to see how it fares. Ill try & attach a couple of pictures one is quite old and the other is a bit more up to date[IMG]
post #4418 of 4432 Old 11-14-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha ha I don't normally watch films in that temp sounds bloody depressing I was just testing out the panny couldn't wait to rip the bugger out of the box and just converted the bracket that the Infocus was on & away I went if I've arranged for some friends to come round or a family time in the theatre then I pre heat to about 20c+ then all the body heat it gets pretty warm & I've got a 11 month old and another on the way so I havnt spent as much time in there but a game (War Thunder )has got be back into the flight sims dog fighting as Microsoft can't be arsed to make a decent one so tomorrow I will emulate a night in theatre which will be warm to see how it fares. Ill try & attach a couple of pictures one is quite old and the other is a bit more up to date[IMG]

Well if you don't want in those conditions, who cares? Seriously. biggrin.gif Let us know how you get on when you watch it under "normal" conditions.
post #4419 of 4432 Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Well if you don't want in those conditions, who cares? Seriously. biggrin.gif Let us know how you get on when you watch it under "normal" conditions.
Good afternoon just a quick one I have preheated the room to 19c and the 3d was watchable but mild ghosting on background detail which improved over the hour but it took a good 1 1/2 hour before 3d was as good as I've seen so I would still say its not regulateing it's heating properly or quick enough for this to be the case but if you put a 3d film in and leave it for 1 1/2 hours the picture is amazing so Hopefully Dave the projector guy can bring me the Epsom to try & if there is a decent improvement in quality in 2d & 3d and doesn't take say more than 1/2 hour to heat up properly then I might swap it and pay the extra as I did get a bit of a deal on this one.This is a good forum with good conversation I maybe looking to replace my ageing receiver it's not really up for the monster speakers I've got hooked up to it but that's another story.
post #4420 of 4432 Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good afternoon just a quick one I have preheated the room to 19c and the 3d was watchable but mild ghosting on background detail which improved over the hour but it took a good 1 1/2 hour before 3d was as good as I've seen so I would still say its not regulateing it's heating properly or quick enough for this to be the case but if you put a 3d film in and leave it for 1 1/2 hours the picture is amazing so Hopefully Dave the projector guy can bring me the Epsom to try & if there is a decent improvement in quality in 2d & 3d and doesn't take say more than 1/2 hour to heat up properly then I might swap it and pay the extra as I did get a bit of a deal on this one.This is a good forum with good conversation I maybe looking to replace my ageing receiver it's not really up for the monster speakers I've got hooked up to it but that's another story.

Glad to hear it's working reasonably well. You may want to turn the 3D glasses brightness down in the 3D settings to eliminate more of the ghosting. Even a small decrease in the brightness should help.
post #4421 of 4432 Old 11-15-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear it's working reasonably well. You may want to turn the 3D glasses brightness down in the 3D settings to eliminate more of the ghosting. Even a small decrease in the brightness should help.

Hi William just watched Pacific rim which to my delight took full advantage of my 16:9 screen and 3d is getting a lot better the picture was well balanced 3d & depth weren't abused plus Monsters & Robots what more can I ask for! I did get on the wife's nerves a bit though as I had a little play with the settings while the film was on, but as the projector had been on for a while anyway you couldn't see any cross talk at all even if you turn the setting right up when warm the only thing that causes slight crosstalk is when you put the glasses on light other than that whether I chose mode 1 2 or 3 dynamic it didn't cause any change to the crosstalk it just would make it softer or darker etc so it looks like I have to run a 1 and a half hour 3d disc through the 5000 before it works as it should but its only when I want to watch 3d the 2d looked great after 15mins.So back to working on the room this weekend, wood to cut & paint & lighting to install as its only me & my 16 year old son it's our father sun thing/hobby it does get drawn out.
post #4422 of 4432 Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi William just watched Pacific rim which to my delight took full advantage of my 16:9 screen and 3d is getting a lot better the picture was well balanced 3d & depth weren't abused plus Monsters & Robots what more can I ask for! I did get on the wife's nerves a bit though as I had a little play with the settings while the film was on, but as the projector had been on for a while anyway you couldn't see any cross talk at all even if you turn the setting right up when warm the only thing that causes slight crosstalk is when you put the glasses on light other than that whether I chose mode 1 2 or 3 dynamic it didn't cause any change to the crosstalk it just would make it softer or darker etc so it looks like I have to run a 1 and a half hour 3d disc through the 5000 before it works as it should but its only when I want to watch 3d the 2d looked great after 15mins.So back to working on the room this weekend, wood to cut & paint & lighting to install as its only me & my 16 year old son it's our father sun thing/hobby it does get drawn out.

While 1.5 hours sounds like an awful lot of time to wait, I'm glad it's working! I'd be curious if you get to borrow the Epson to compare the 3D performance without such a long warmup, though...

The 3D brightness settings for the glasses, though. If you have enough brightness of the image, "Normal" setting will reduce the crosstalk noticeably (at least it was noticeable to me!).
post #4423 of 4432 Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16

Just received my AE7000 and am impressed with the 2D quality. The projector does so many things right I am
amazed by how natural and real the image looks. The smooth screen feature allows video to have a CRT projector
feel that I like. That is a plus over dlp and lcd based projectors that I have owned.

The lens memory feature is the next feature that really stands out and with the masking feature 2:35 the top and botttom
bars are inky black and when it auto switches back to 16/9 the same goes for the pillar box by using masking. Having
owned a Anamorphic lens if I would of had this projector or Eshift JVC would have never bought one.

Not to bragg but picked this up for 1099.00 new in the box shipped to my door so value is a 10:eek:

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4424 of 4432 Old 11-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I noticed in the service menu flicker adjustments does this work
If you experience this problem? Don't remember this being mentioned
In the thread. I am not experiencing a problem just curious.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4425 of 4432 Old 02-26-2014, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to understanding calibration..especially gamma. I've read everywhere that 2.2 gamma is what is desired. So if I don't do any tweaks ot my gamma (I'm watching in CINEMA1 (2d) and NORMAL(for 3d) mode).....Is this projector calibrated out of the box to a 2.2 Gamma for both these modes?

If so can I just leave the gamma at default. All my brightness/contrast/color adjustments using a calibration disk look good.

The reason I've been confused is that I use mpc-hc to play my blurays and madVR as the renderer. madVR has a section in the settings for gamma and I wasn't sure if I should leave those alone.

Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks!!
post #4426 of 4432 Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post

Hey guys,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to understanding calibration..especially gamma. I've read everywhere that 2.2 gamma is what is desired. So if I don't do any tweaks ot my gamma (I'm watching in CINEMA1 (2d) and NORMAL(for 3d) mode).....Is this projector calibrated out of the box to a 2.2 Gamma for both these modes?

If so can I just leave the gamma at default. All my brightness/contrast/color adjustments using a calibration disk look good.

The reason I've been confused is that I use mpc-hc to play my blurays and madVR as the renderer. madVR has a section in the settings for gamma and I wasn't sure if I should leave those alone.

Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks!!

The only way to know for certain what your display is putting out in regards to the gamma reference is to purchase a light meter and use some calibration software on a laptop and take measurements... Otherwise all you can do is reference some official reviews for the 7000 and see what viewing modes and settings they used for a measured 2.2 gamma and you should be in the ballpark, but there are so many other variables at play here... But, it is vitally important to set your brightness(black level) and contrast (peak white) levels correctly... that is half the battle right there... And in some rooms depending on screen size and lamp brightness and ambient room lighting, 2.2 gamma may not necessarily be the best for you...
post #4427 of 4432 Old 02-27-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

The only way to know for certain what your display is putting out in regards to the gamma reference is to purchase a light meter and use some calibration software on a laptop and take measurements... Otherwise all you can do is reference some official reviews for the 7000 and see what viewing modes and settings they used for a measured 2.2 gamma and you should be in the ballpark, but there are so many other variables at play here... But, it is vitally important to set your brightness(black level) and contrast (peak white) levels correctly... that is half the battle right there... And in some rooms depending on screen size and lamp brightness and ambient room lighting, 2.2 gamma may not necessarily be the best for you...

Thanks deano86.....I guess I wanted to save the hassle of buying stuff to calibrate and learn the whole process of taking measurements etc..
I know the gamma would be dependent on my room lighting etc.. (in my case a bat cave)...But are the out of the box factory settings for the PT-AE7000 calibrated to a gamma 2.2? And what you're saying is this may or may not be right for my viewing conditons?
post #4428 of 4432 Old 03-23-2014, 01:31 PM

Anybody have any idea as to where I can buy a replacement ballast for my ae7000u?Desperately need one!!!!
post #4429 of 4432 Old 05-03-2014, 12:10 AM

Hi
I have a 6 math old ae7000 with 110 hrs on the lamp. Ceiling mounted. It has been behaving very weirdly in the last cpl of days.
First it stopped recognizing the input signal from my amp. It would continue to try reading it without success. Once I changed input directly to my computer, it started getting input signal on 2 of the 3 hemisphere ports. Then trying directly to my cable connection, it got input to one of the 3 ports. No amp input still ( same hdmi cable FYI)
However, even after recognizing the input the lamp shuts down automatically after one minute. If I switch off and on the input cable connection, it comes on again for exactly a minute and lamp shuts off..
Any guidance wud b greatly appreciated.. I'm a novice at projectors and this is my first one

Thanks
post #4430 of 4432 Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 AM

Hdmi not hemisphere port, damn autocorrect
post #4431 of 4432 Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM

Mine also once went crazy in a remotely similar way. It would just display white color. Turning it off and on didn't help. What did help was turning it off, unplugging the power cable, waiting a couple of minutes, then turning it on regularly. (For the sake of completeness, I'll mention that there was no atmospheric electricity at the time, PJ is on an UPS, it's not dusty or dirty or humid or anything, usual room temperature.)
post #4432 of 4432 Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 PM

faint lines on image

Over the past week or so faint black lines have shown up on my image. They are only noticeable on light backgrounds, particularly white. The lines are all parallel but at a slight angle, sometimes angled left sometimes right. The number of lines vary from 3 to as many as 6. They always show up on the right side of the image in about the same location. I took some pictures with camera while playing a menu on a disc. While the menu was looping, sometimes the lines would appear, but also they would just suddenly disappear for a few minutes before returning.

Do any experts have any opinion what could be causing this? The bulb has 1100 hours, the problem first started showing up around 1000 hours. The main decision is whether or not to go ahead and buy a new lamp now, or send it in to Panasonic to be diagnosed. It is way out of warranty....

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Projectors , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page