post #4441 of 4464 Old 09-03-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
I would say that it's a pretty good assumption to say that Panasonic won't help. I sent my entire unit in when the ghosting was so bad. I got it back in the same exact shape it was in when I sent it.
I am curious what their tech support story was? Did they say that they couldn't duplicate the issue with your projector? Did they do anything to it in regards to part replacement or firmware update at all? And did they have you send it to an actual Panasonic facility or just a 3rd party repair center?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4464 Old 09-03-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Did they say that they couldn't duplicate the issue with your projector?
No. In fact, they didn't "say" anything. They just shipped it back to me with a sheet that detailed the answer to your next question:

Quote:
Did they do anything to it in regards to part replacement or firmware update at all?
Yes. They replaced the bulb and updated the firmware. This, however, did not resolve the issue. I even got on the phone with a fellow AVS member and 7000U owner who was not having the issues. We tried to duplicate his settings, but the ghosting remained for me. And it's not even slight ghosting. It's just not watchable.

This is what it looks like through my Panasonic Gen 2 and Gen 3 glasses Left eye:

Right eye:

Quote:
And did they have you send it to an actual Panasonic facility or just a 3rd party repair center?
Panasonic Facility

Chet

Last edited by ckenisell; 09-03-2014 at 11:39 AM.
post #4443 of 4464 Old 09-03-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

When you got on the phone with them after you got it back, what did they say then? Obviously they didn't even bother to test the 3D! When you go into the 3D settings menu and make adjustments, does anything change at all? Image swap, etc.. Obviously there is no difference when using a different blu ray player either?
post #4444 of 4464 Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't bother calling them about it. I had already spent an arm and a leg shipping the thing to them. No point spending it again.
post #4445 of 4464 Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
I didn't bother calling them about it. I had already spent an arm and a leg shipping the thing to them. No point spending it again.
That ghosting is shocking, not even mine is that bad on a bad day

definitely a defective unit...
post #4446 of 4464 Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 PM

By the way, is there a way to update the firmware ourselves or do you have to send it in for Pana to do it?
post #4447 of 4464 Old 09-04-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer0137 View Post
By the way, is there a way to update the firmware ourselves or do you have to send it in for Pana to do it?
I believe it has to be sent to Panasonic.

I have a little more time to dedicate to this issue. Let me share what I have:

First, let me say that those photos above are when the projector is in "Normal" picture mode.

Here's what I get when switching to "D-Cinema" picture mode:

D-Cinema Left Eye:

D-Cinema Right Eye:

Normal Left Eye:

Normal Right Eye:

D-Cinema Left Eye:

D-Cinema Right Eye:

So, as you can see, D-Cinema Picture Mode yields better results, but the crosstalk/ghosting is still there. I really do feel like it's a combination of this projector and the Da-Lite screen that I'm using (High Power Screen). The "3D EYEWEAR BRIGHTNESS" setting in the projector is set to [LIGHT]. I really don't feel like I should have to compromise screen brightness for reduced crosstalk. Setting it to [NORMAL] or [DARK] is just too dark to enjoy. I have calibrated the projector using Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 3D Blu-ray (in both 2D and 3D modes and storing the settings into the projector). I also confirmed the 2D settings using Digital Video Essentials BD AND Disney WOW BD. My only other option would be to pay an isf calibrator to come in and perform a professional calibrator (which I am considering).

The 2D looks really nice on this projector (although not as nice as my 65" Panasonic Plasma VT30), but still really nice. The 3D on the other hand is unwatchable. I put in a 3D disc on my plasma and, Holy Moley, the plasma 3D is some of the best I've ever seen. It's not 100% crosstalk free, but it's the best I've seen. I'm convinced that active stereographic 3D will never be crosstalk free.

Chet
post #4448 of 4464 Old 09-04-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Plain and simple you have a defective projector.... IF, I would have gotten it back from Panasonic looking like that, I would have demanded to talk to someone who would properly address that problem.... Granted we all know how difficult it is dealing with poor quality 1st level support, but that is what needs to be done.... find a way to get through to higher level support.... Your ghosting issue is not how these projectors just work... They provide a great 2D and 3D pictures... I have no ghosting issues and plenty of brightness using Normal eyewear setting. That really sucks for you... that sort of performance would drive me crazy...
post #4449 of 4464 Old 09-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Plain and simple you have a defective projector.... IF, I would have gotten it back from Panasonic looking like that, I would have demanded to talk to someone who would properly address that problem.... Granted we all know how difficult it is dealing with poor quality 1st level support, but that is what needs to be done.... find a way to get through to higher level support.... Your ghosting issue is not how these projectors just work... They provide a great 2D and 3D pictures... I have no ghosting issues and plenty of brightness using Normal eyewear setting. That really sucks for you... that sort of performance would drive me crazy...
I have to agree here. If i send mine back, spend money shipping it to them and it comes back with the same issue heads would roll! I have been watching my 3d movies with normal on the glasses and normal on the projector and not an issue till recently
post #4450 of 4464 Old 09-26-2014, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I sent my projector in for service, once again, with the hope to eliminate poor convergence/focus. This time they replaced the optical block and it does appear to have resolved the issue. The picture is so much sharper and text actually looks good finally. Blue is off some but it is not visible from a reasonable seating distance. Unfortunately it seems to have come back with a new problem. I am seeing pretty severe blooming where bright sections of an image bleed into dark sections. It's killing my black levels! It also makes the guide on the Xbox 360 look pretty awful. They did call me and tell me that I needed a new lamp (I had 2500 hours on my lamp all in eco mode.) Their price was high so I declined. They said color would be off until it was replaced due to a "bad spot". I did order a lamp from Projector People but I am having to exchange it because it was not properly seated in the housing. Could a lamp issue cause blooming in the image? I would think it more likely that something in the optics got dirty while they were working on it. I don't have pictures at the moment. I can take a few tomorrow. I am getting pretty sick of having to pay to ship this projector to the repair facility to fix their issues. I'm very glad I purchased it during the promotion where they included a 3 year warranty.
post #4451 of 4464 Old 09-26-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post
I am getting pretty sick of having to pay to ship this projector to the repair facility to fix their issues. I'm very glad I purchased it during the promotion where they included a 3 year warranty.
Precisely why I don't continue to send in my projector after the whole 3D thing. My experience with this projector, plus my experience with the TC-L65WT600 "4K" TV have been enough to know that I won't be buy Panasonic displays again.

I also own a 65" VT30 Plasma from them and that's the only set that I am completely happy with. But, they stopped making Plasma.

Chet
post #4452 of 4464 Old 09-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Here are two pictures of the bloom I am seeing. Sorry about the quality of the photos but I had to focus away from the screen for the effect to show. Otherwise it would darken the image to where it isn't visible. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bloom1.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	280657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bloom2.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	280665  
post #4453 of 4464 Old 10-01-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, obviously blooming can be also be caused by having the contrast cranked up way too high... which is really what your photos look like...Be sure to check your "HDMI Signal" level setting in the menu to see if during your service work this setting has been changed to a setting other than what you were using before... Normal or Expand.... which would totally mess up your normal contrast and brightness settings...Do you have Digital Video Essentials or some other test disc to make sure your basic settings are correct... With all the work being done, these settings could be totally different now... But, on the other hand, if indeed your lamp has a "bad spot", it definitely could raise havoc with your picture also.... What did they want to charge for a lamp?
post #4454 of 4464 Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the response. My settings were unchanged when the projector was returned. I did go through recalibration but no changes were needed. I use a combination of discs including the Disney WOW Bluray and AVIA DVD but mostly I like to use the free AVS HD 709 disc because it has great patterns that I can run through rather quickly. Adjusting the contrast and brightness did not eliminate the problem. It seems to be in the optics. I should have the lamp within a few days. The warranty service company wanted to charge $370 for the lamp. I called my Projector People sales rep and he gave me a deal that was significantly better.

Edit: Keep in mind that the contrast looks high in these pics because I focused on the dark area causing the camera to adjust for darker lighting. I did this intentionally so that the problem would show up in the pictures. The text is not actually blown out like you see in the picture. Everything is perfectly legible and the brightness of the white areas is comfortable to the eyes. The problem is the area above the bright areas that should be as dark as the rest of the dark areas of the picture but aren't due to blooming.
post #4455 of 4464 Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

When you set the contrast with the AVS HD 709, how many bars are flashing or at what number do you have it set at where it stops? Although it sounds to me like you got everything all dialed in and set really good... if that is the case, then I am very leery of the bulb being the fix... I think something else got messed up when they performed your fix.... which is just ridiculous that they don't test out the projector properly after performing service work...
post #4456 of 4464 Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 PM

I have it set to about 237. The contrast looks good. There is definitely a problem. I can see this blooming all over the image. It looks pretty bad.
post #4457 of 4464 Old 10-03-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Don't know how much the users are still looking at this thread, but I am still using mine, a lot. It's my primary TV and I just replaced the bulb after 2 years and 4 months. The bulb had 4006 hours on it and it still looked great. However, once I changed the bulb out the whites seemed whiter and the blacks blacker. Overall I am still very happy with this projector.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #4458 of 4464 Old 10-21-2014, 03:11 PM

Apparently my ticket has fallen into a black hole over at Panasonic. I followed up with them on the issue 2 weeks ago and let them know that a new lamp did not fix the blooming. I didn't get a response for a week. I called support to inquire about the status of my ticket. The support rep told me that I had already tried everything he would have asked me to try so he escalated my ticket so that a repair service order could be created. I still had not received an e-mail response or a call yesterday (Monday) so I called again. This time the rep told me that the ticket was escalated to a level beyond him and the best he could do was send an e-mail inquiring about the status. He came back and said he had not received a response so he sent them an e-mail letting them know that I am waiting on a response. Today I have heard nothing. I don't know what the deal is but I paid to send my unit for service, purchased a brand new lamp at their urging, and I have been unable to use my projector this whole time because it looks terrible. I'm starting to get a little irritated.

Last edited by Hyper_Eye; 10-21-2014 at 03:19 PM.
post #4459 of 4464 Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just bought a used Panasonic PT-AE7000 off of ebay and am hoping that it is an easy fix but the projector has a red tint coming from one corner and a green tint coming from another corner like can be seen in the attached photo. When I mess around with the setting I can minimize the impact of the tint but cannot get rid of it. In picture mode rec 709 it is the most noticeable and stands out even more in light scenes.

The projector looks like it is in good condition besides some odd fan noise. A new lamp was put in but it looks like the lamp is a generic. Could the generic bulb be causing the issues, is there something wrong with the unit itself, or is there something wrong with the settings when I got it?

Can anyone offer any advice on how to fix it? Or should I try to return it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	projector colors.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	324898  
post #4460 of 4464 Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Dude! Return that thing immediately! Why would even consider trying to "fix" it? It is damaged..
post #4461 of 4464 Old 10-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Dude! Return that thing immediately! Why would even consider trying to "fix" it? It is damaged..
Sigh. Well I was hoping that it if I got a replacement lamp or did a factory reset or something like that the problem would go away but sounds like that is not the case. Stupid ebay seller said it was in "great condition" when it should have been sold for parts.
post #4462 of 4464 Old 10-22-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it is possible that the generic lamp is totally wacked, but with that much white field uniformity issues and combined with a loud fan, it makes me wonder if there was additional internal damage done during shipping or if it was there prior... Either way not worth the headache...
post #4463 of 4464 Old 10-22-2014, 05:38 PM

Hey everyone. Wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue. Basically any type of scrolling text looks terrible. It seems to be omitting some lines and duplicating others and makes it look really jarring:

This happens on PC input and XBox 360 input. At first I thought it might be Frame Creation doing some weirdness but that is OFF in the settings. Anyone have any ideas?
post #4464 of 4464 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post
Apparently my ticket has fallen into a black hole over at Panasonic. I followed up with them on the issue 2 weeks ago and let them know that a new lamp did not fix the blooming. I didn't get a response for a week. I called support to inquire about the status of my ticket. The support rep told me that I had already tried everything he would have asked me to try so he escalated my ticket so that a repair service order could be created. I still had not received an e-mail response or a call yesterday (Monday) so I called again. This time the rep told me that the ticket was escalated to a level beyond him and the best he could do was send an e-mail inquiring about the status. He came back and said he had not received a response so he sent them an e-mail letting them know that I am waiting on a response. Today I have heard nothing. I don't know what the deal is but I paid to send my unit for service, purchased a brand new lamp at their urging, and I have been unable to use my projector this whole time because it looks terrible. I'm starting to get a little irritated.
Sorry to hear that. Panasonic's support is HORRIBLE for this projector. I haven't read a single good customer support story in this thread (including mine).

Chet
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Projectors , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Ae7000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page