post #451 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad View Post

Widerscreen--

I gather you've had no issues with the built in emitter and your acoustically transparent screen? One of the reviews had an issue with this but it was a lower gain.

The signal is very strong I can go through out the house and still have a signal the only way I do not get a signal is when I go behind the pj about 4' other than that it works fine although some remotes WILL NOT work during 3-D you have to put the remote up next to the IR eye of the product your trying to use via a remote during 3-D the PJ remote will work but is sorta slow during 3-D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 11:49 AM

Liked: 14
Just a quick addendum to my earlier post. I did some playing around with the frame creation in 3D with Thor and Avatar last night and I like Mode 3 for 3D hands down. It's like being in the same environment as those in the movie. I have never experienced something so real. So far my preferences are as follows:

2D movies: Cinema 1 picture, Mode 1 frame creation.
2D TV: Cinema1 picture, Mode 1 frame creation.
3D movies: Dynamic picture, mode 3 frame creation, Light for the 3D glasses mode

I'll follow up with my preferences for 2D sports, 2D video games, and 3D video games. Not that my preferences should sway anybody from doing their own experimenting to find what they like. Part of the fun of having so many options. Its just as fun to play around with this thing as it is to watch stuff with it.

After I break the lamp in a bit more I will run a calibration on it with WOW and see how that goes. Being my first projector, I'm curious, how long would you guys recommend letting the lamp break in before calibrating?
post #453 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 138
7000 was delivered a few hours back, still in the box...went to purchase the new 3gen glasses and a few new titles

Will set up later this afternoon and try and post some feedback here later today or tomorrow - likely will open a new thread with my thoughts comparing the 7000 to my existing RS50...
post #454 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

7000 was delivered a few hours back, still in the box...went to purchase the new 3gen glasses and a few new titles

Will set up later this afternoon and try and post some feedback here later today or tomorrow - likely will open a new thread with my thoughts comparing the 7000 to my existing r50...

Awesome
post #455 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Will set up later this afternoon and try and post some feedback here later today or tomorrow - likely will open a new thread with my thoughts comparing the 7000 to my existing RS50...

I would very much like to read about that comparison.
post #456 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone noticed that when in Lens Setup, the text on screen can not be focused very well, but the test patterns can? This was not the case with the AE2000U.
post #457 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the top cover supposed to come off to remove the packing material, or do you just slide the sheets awkwardly out? There is no guide for unpacking, and I don't see how the cover comes off...the frontward tabs lift up, but the cover remains very secure at the rear corners.

Unless I'm missing it, I don't see anything in the manual about removing the top...
post #458 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Please post a link here to that new thread

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #459 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Please post a link here to that new thread

Lift the front of the top. The top is hinged with packing material under it. This is the way to access the air filter.
post #460 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

Lift the front of the top. The top is hinged with packing material under it. This is the way to access the air filter.

When I lift the front tabs, the sides front corners lift but the front center edge of the lid seems stuck (where that light sensor is on top) - should I pry it a little harder, or is there another release point?
post #461 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:

When I lift the front tabs, the sides front corners lift but the front center edge of the lid seems stuck (where that light sensor is on top) - should I pry it a little harder, or is there another release point?

Lift the side tabs harder. There is a plastic latch in the middle you have to overcome. Its there to keep the lid closed when ceiling mounted.
post #462 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

Lift the side tabs harder. There is a plastic latch in the middle you have to overcome. Its there to keep the lid closed when ceiling mounted.

Despite my 220 pounds, I'm a gentle man....any breakage gets shipped to YOU!
post #463 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

My solution to that problem was buy the RIGHT Ceiling Mount.

One that has vernier controls on the mount

Drhankz,

Mind sharing what mount you are using? Might help with my joystick frustration as well!

Thanks
Bill

Be good...and you will be lonesome
- Mark Twain

Finished Home Theater - For Now
Home Theater Build
post #464 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does the joystick lens shift control have a center "detent" setting to allow easily setting it at dead center? My AE2000 has this with the thumbwheel lens shift and I have the PJ mounted exactly at screen center so no need for lens shift. Hopefully the AE7000's joystick configuration will allow easy centering. Thanks.
post #465 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Up and running for about 45 minutes, playing around with all the options

I can easily watch with my shades open...

In rec 709...

In Eco mode....

Long live the 2.8 high power

:-)

More later...
post #466 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

I guess I better cancel my orders for the Xpand x103 if they do not work like the Panny ones. Problem is I only have one pair of the Panny glasses so I can't yet watch 3D with my wife.

My xpand 103's quit working after very few uses; go with the 3rd gen pannys
post #467 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg661 View Post

So far my preferences are as follows:

2D movies: Cinema 1 picture, Mode 1 frame creation.
2D TV: Cinema1 picture, Mode 1 frame creation.
3D movies: Dynamic picture, mode 3 frame creation, Light for the 3D glasses mode

I have to agree with the above with one caveat, "Dynamic" mode in 3D, while having the best brightness and color, seems to also introduce a bit of ghosting and/or a strange double image on certain scenes.

One example is near the beginning of "Despicable Me". The scene right after the girls try to sell Gru cookies at his front door. Look at the telephone poles in the background. I see almost solid black lines to the left of the poles matching their contours. While this might be able to be eliminated with the 3D adjustment menu, it just moves the problems to another plane, either closer, or farther away. I haven't tried 'mode 3' frame creation yet. Maybe that would help somewhat. Will play with it later tonight.

Still have a LOT of tinkering to do with this new "toy". So many adjustments, so little time.
post #468 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

My xpand 103's quit working after very few uses; go with the 3rd gen pannys

I won't be able to install mine until likely Monday..So I'm curious, do the 2nd gen panasonic glasses and Xpand 103's not work at all, or not work as well, as the 3d gen panny glasses? I was happy that my Panasonic plasma screen glasses would also work with the 7k, but now I have to get the 3d gen glasses or the performance will suffer? Say it ain't so!
post #469 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Thrang, can you please post your impressions on how the Panny compares overall in terms of sharpness and motion compared to the RS50 and Sony 85/90 you've owned.

I'm sure the blacks wont be as good but I'm hoping that the motion is better then anything else as it's 480hz.
post #470 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Hey Thrang, I would be most interested in this comparison!!! Especially when it comes to Black Level and Contrast in 2D as well as overall 3D performance.
post #471 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl View Post

But I thought the 7000 had a sealed light path. Thus....no dust blobs.

You posted this a while ago, but a minor correction. The air flow path to the lamp (and the lamp itself) is suppose to be sealed off from the rest of the PJ (it has it's own air intake).

However, the air flow path to the LCD panels and the rest of the PJ is not sealed, and it's air intake has an air filter which Panasonic says should be cleaned periodically. Because the total light path through the LCD panels is not sealed, there still is the chance to get dust blobs on the LCD panels.

We will have to wait until Cine4Home gets one for review. Ekkehart usually winds up dismantling his review PJs, so then we may know, for sure.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #472 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the top cover supposed to come off to remove the packing material, or do you just slide the sheets awkwardly out? There is no guide for unpacking, and I don't see how the cover comes off...the frontward tabs lift up, but the cover remains very secure at the rear corners.

Unless I'm missing it, I don't see anything in the manual about removing the top...

It's on page 86 of the manual, under "Care and Replacement". The access to the lamp is under the top cover.

BTW, the air filter removal and cleaning is covered on page 82 of the manual (in the "Care and Replacement" sub-section, also). The top level is the "Maintenance" section.

FYI -- The manual is here: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...0ENGLISH_U.pdf.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #473 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

It's on page 86 of the manual, under "Care and Replacement". The access to the lamp is under the top cover.

BTW, the air filter removal and cleaning is covered on page 82 of the manual (in the "Care and Replacement" sub-section, also). The top level is the "Maintenance" section.

FYI -- The manual is here: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...0ENGLISH_U.pdf.

Thanks - I was looking through then printed manual, hadn't loaded the cd.

Panasonic should include the complete manual printed...
post #474 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Liked: 20
Cine4home must have been a fine watch maker in another life. He can put the damn things back together after dismantling them. Not recommended for even experts here.
post #475 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Too late to post more details, and I need to do some more viewing, but 3D performance on the 7000 with "Despicable Me" absolutely blows my RS50 out of the water.

Stunning.

For the RS50, this title was unwatchable - heavy ghosting in many scenes. With the 7000, the image is much brighter and to find ghosting requires the investigative patience normally applied to winning a large Where's Waldo game...

The ability to using the motion interpolation modes in 3D is a great benefit as well.

I am using the 3rd gen Panny glasses, running in Normal Brightness mode. I tried Light, and that was also superb - maybe a touch more ghosting, but still very watchable, and orders of magnitude better than the RS50. Almost no sense of shutter sequencing either with the 7000 - the 50 has a subtle but noticeable flicker.

Perhaps the new JVC's will match the 7000 performance, but I'm suspecting the higher speed panels are going a long way to making this projector as good as it is for 3D. Given the new JVC's have the same panel speed, they will need to gain light output and reduce ghosting through other techniques or processing.

The complete projector story is more complex than this brief comment, and I hope to post more details tomorrow - but for now, know that if 3D is an important criteria on your projector feature list, the 7000 seems to be a clear winner.

In fact, its 3D performance might make 3D viewing a more important factor for you if it wasn't already - with the RS50, I sort of gave up on 3D for the most part. If more titles that I test show similar performance, it will make me look forward to viewing 3D...
post #476 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks Thrang. Great stuff. Looking forward to hear about your 2D experiences/comparison.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #477 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrele View Post

One example is near the beginning of "Despicable Me". The scene right after the girls try to sell Gru cookies at his front door. Look at the telephone poles in the background. I see almost solid black lines to the left of the poles matching their contours. While this might be able to be eliminated with the 3D adjustment menu, it just moves the problems to another plane, either closer, or father away. I haven't tried 'mode 3' frame creation yet. Maybe that would help somewhat. Will play with it later tonight.

rgrele/Thrang - Just an FYI, the 3D transfer of Despicable Me is known to be a poor master on Blu Ray. It's the material itself. For some reason this blu ray just isn't quite right. It might not be the dynamic mode at all as far as ghosting. I'd try another title with the same setup to verify if the settings you had were good or not.
post #478 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

Thanks Thrang. Great stuff. Looking forward to hear about your 2D experiences/comparison.

My THIRD Octava 4x4 HDMI matrix switch took a dump in the middle of all this, so I was sidetracked putting back the Intelix switch I was using previously...(I switched because the Octava supports 3D passthrough, but if it doesn't simultaneously support actually working, that feature is less valuable...)
post #479 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

rgrele/Thrang - Just an FYI, the 3D transfer of Despicable Me is known to be a poor master on Blu Ray. It's the material itself. For some reason this blu ray just isn't quite right. It might not be the dynamic mode at all as far as ghosting. I'd try another title with the same setup to verify if the settings you had were good or not.

My point was it looks crappy on the RS50, phenomenal on the 7000...suspect mastering or not...
post #480 of 4432 Old 10-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Thanks Thrang for posting your 3D impressions. Sounds great so far. I really look forward to your 2D impressions about the two projectors as well
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Projectors , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page