post #61 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post

I called Panny but all they said was send it in for repair which really pissed me off yesterday.....

Why can't you send it back to seller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 07:22 AM

Liked: 10
It's as good as sealed according to Panasonic so I'm hoping it's something else.
post #63 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Well, I got mine yesterday and I have a weird issue with it. Right in the center of the screen slightly off to the right there is a blue ghosting about 2 inches by 4 inches, almost like a blotch. I have tried different sources and cables so its not a source issue rather the PJ. I called Panny but all they said was send it in for repair which really pissed me off yesterday....

I replaced my epson 8350 with this one and to tell the truth I liked the PQ better with the Epson but it lacked the 3D aspect which is why I went with this one.

Anyone have any ideas? I will take a picture later today and post it.

Contact the seller and tell them you either want a brand new replacement or your money back.
post #64 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Contact the seller and tell them you either want a brand new replacement or your money back.

I got it from PP and they are closed on the weekends so I have to wait till tomorrow to contact them. I am not sure on their policies so it's a TBD.

I had it overnighted too so I am out those funds.

Oh well, my rushing is my failure.
post #65 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Sorry about your experience. I know how frustrating that can be. Hopefully the seller will make it right for you.
post #66 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 AM

I am wondering if the panasonic glasses that are to be released later this month for the 7000u are worth waiting for. I have the projector on the way and now am looking for glasses. Since this is their first 480hz projector, I'm wondering if the new glasses will be faster switching to help take advantage of the 480hz and get more light through. Do any of you experienced 3D people know anything about this or have any educated guesses?
post #67 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Sounds like a Dust Blob. It can and does happen with LCD projectors. Years ago I owned a Panasonic AE900 and I learned how to clean them myself. I would not even try in this case since the unit is new. Just get a replacement.
post #68 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 AM

If you're referring to the 3rd generation Panny glasses, they've been out for a while. Many places are out of stock. You can find them for cheaper from a major online book carrier. I have a wider than average head but the Mediums will fit me snugly. I'm using a pair of those until the larges come back in stock. Shop around the prices of these things varies by quite a bit.
post #69 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 AM

Here are pictures of the old and the new showing the blotch (what I call it)

Old is a Epson 8350
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #70 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 AM

You guys have to admit, it's pretty funny. The projector has only been shipping for a couple days, only a few people even have them, and already someone is posting about a dust blob. I don't even think the AE4000 had someone complaining about dust blobs until after wide release. It's like some sort of Panasonic trademark, they should put in on their brochures and marketing literature. "Featuring Smooth Screen Technology and Advanced Dust Blob Design!"
post #71 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Here are pictures of the old and the new showing the blotch (what I call it)

Old is a Epson 8350

Nasty. Definitely return the pj!
post #72 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Yea its depressing for sure
LL
LL
LL
post #73 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Doesn't seem like dust blobs. Seems like a defective panel. Definitely returning. The picture looks very sharp though.
post #74 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I got it from PP and they are closed on the weekends so I have to wait till tomorrow to contact them. I am not sure on their policies so it's a TBD.

I had it overnighted too so I am out those funds.

Oh well, my rushing is my failure.

if from PP, I think you can get full replacement along as you don't go over 2 hours on bulb (maybe more?).
post #75 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Both units are similar in picture but I give the epson a bit higher mark for clarity which can been seen in the picture of the TV guide, however the epson 8350 lacks the features and control the Panasonic and not to mention 3D which is why I got it.

Maybe Panasonic reads this forum and can comment on what the issue technically could be?
post #76 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Liked: 20
It was late at night and I made a joke. Obviously, every projector has weaknesses and has traits that annoy owners. Why can't they do that, why didn't they do that? Of course changing anything costs money.

As an avid reader of projector threads, I get a little jaded. I do think you have a right to be annoyed, I just think in the reality of things it would be no more than a minor annoyance at most for many. Please do not be offended. I was just goofing a bit with you. I do that.

Please forgive me.

Now optimum set up. Every projector trades brightness vs on/off based on throw distance ratio. Place it closer, you get more ANSI lumens out but less on/off. Place it farther away and you gain on off and lose some ANSI lumens. The functions are a log function and putting things in the middle gives you probably close to the worst in any direction. From end to end, the fall off in either might be around 30% with most of the fall off occuring rapidly as one moves from an extreme. For maximum of either, one needs mounting close to an extreme. One has to chose their poison. What do you want? This will involve screen size and gain. What's the minimum of either you will accept? This is best discussed with a call as we can go into everything and you can make relevant choices, something you must do, not the advisor.

As to lens shift, the more range a manufacturer provides the greater the possible optical deterioration in image quality available. The smaller the lens diameter the worse things can get. Just remember for optimum optical performance, geometry and focus, and lack of chromatic aberrations, a lens will perform best if the chip imagre coming out of the optical block is centered in the lens. The bigger the lens, the bigger the center area is and the more you can shift away from that without deterioration. Now do not be afraid to use lens shift if you need it, just try to stay away from the extremes. Even at close to an extreme, performance over most of the screen will still be good but not as good as possible. If you want to discuss, just give me a call.

The problem described does not appear to be a dust blob. Some defect in the optical block, probably a panel defect, Just relax and wait until Monday to call your dealer, I am sure they will promptly resolve things for you.
post #77 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

if from PP, I think you can get full replacement along as you don't go over 2 hours on bulb (maybe more?).

I think I had it on for less than 2 hours or somewhere around that mark.
post #78 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try focusing on the blob. You should be able to tell if it's on the panel and whether it's dust or something else.
post #79 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 256
That's not a dust blob. I showed this pic to my buddy at the panny repair shop, he said for sure not a dust blob but what the actual problem is, he's not sure. He said it's pretty much impossible for the 7000 to get bust blobs. They have one there that is all taken apart and he said the path is pretty much as sealed a as lcos unit.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #80 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:

That doesn't look like a dust blob to me, mine on the old AE3000 looked like pale green circles the size of a small apple and could only be seen in pitch black scene(but only really noticeable when booting up before a source kicked in.
This looks like a defective LCD panel, we had a similar look to our works projector, looked like someone took a yellow marker and drew a big shape on the screen.
Think you have been unlucky, should be a quick fix
post #81 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamphear View Post

You guys have to admit, it's pretty funny. The projector has only been shipping for a couple days, only a few people even have them, and already someone is posting about a dust blob. I don't even think the AE4000 had someone complaining about dust blobs until after wide release. It's like some sort of Panasonic trademark, they should put in on their brochures and marketing literature. "Featuring Smooth Screen Technology and Advanced Dust Blob Design!"

If it is a dust blob, doesn't look like one.
Alot of guys have ordered but haven't received yet, should see more during the week.
post #82 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

That's not a dust blob. I showed this pic to my buddy at the panny repair shop, he said for sure not a dust blob but what the actual problem is, he's not sure. He said it's pretty much impossible for the 7000 to get bust blobs. They have one there that is all taken apart and he said the path is pretty much as sealed a as lcos unit.

I'd agree, plus other reviews have stated it's as good as sealed
post #83 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Thanks!

It's best seen in these pictures, look for the blue spot.
LL
LL
post #84 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I had it on for less than 2 hours or somewhere around that mark.

Just checked and it's 4 hours, in case you need to examine it some more.
post #85 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

It's best seen in these pictures, look for the blue spot.

So what happens when you try focusing on it?
post #86 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I used to get dust blobs once in a while with my 900, but was always able to clear them up myself using the compressed air through the slot method. Never had to send it back. My 2000 has over 2300 hours on it and has never had a dust blob.

Had some friends over last night and we checked out more 3D Blu Rays. I was still using 'cinema 1' with no other adjustments to brightness or contrast etc.. The 3D wowed them, of course, but they did comment about how the glasses decrease the brightness. Will have to experiment with different modes and settings until I find a pleasing compromise. Has anyone any setting preferences for 3D with the 7000 yet? I know it's a bit early, and I was really going to wait until the lamp has at least 100 hours on it before doing any final tweaking.

By audience request, I Also tried some 2D to 3D conversion with the "Star Wars Ep. IV" Blu Ray. I was not impressed with the results, but then this is a feature that I don't really care for in the first place. But I may play around with it in the future. There are so many settings and adjustments on the menu that it just boggles my mind!

Back to 2D. Watched some scenes from the new "BEN-HUR" Blu Ray. Can't get over what a great job WB did with this. Colors and details really POP! Looks like it was made yesterday, not 52 years ago!

Anyway, only 13 hours on the lamp so far, Still need to do a LOT more viewing and tweaking. At least I haven't noticed any mfg. defects so far. Sorry to hear that at least one person will have to get a replacement. Guess it's just bad luck. I'm hopeful that there will be a lot more positives than negatives with this projector. I've got my fingers crossed.

More to come...
post #87 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamphear View Post

let's make sure not to start spreding rumors that confuse people.

That is not a dust blob, I had the same problem some years ago. that is one of the LCD panels.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #88 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

let's make sure not to start spreding rumors that confuse people.

That is not a dust blob, I had the same problem some years ago. that is one of the LCD panels.

I didn't say it was one, I said someone was posting about one (apparently conjecture in this case). My AE7000 arrives on Tuesday so don't mistake me for some of the other people in this thread trying to stir up ****. I just think it's genuinely funny that Panasonic has such problems and a well-deserved reputation for dust blobs, when it's an issue they should have fixed half a decade ago.
post #89 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Definitely looks like a problem with the LCD panel not a dust blob. I've seen dust blobs before and it doesn't look like what you have.

on another note...

I'm using Cinema1 (with detail clarity set to 4) for 2D blurays

I'm using Normal mode (with detail clarity at default 3) for 3D blurays. Cinema 2 mode also looks good in 3D. For 3D I make sure the glasses are set to "light".
All other settings are at default.

I also watched a bit of Avatar 3D with frame creation mode set to mode1...absolutely stunning 3D. Better than what Avatar looked like in the theater for me. I might never go the cinema again..especially since I have a buttkicker as well as the ability to pause for a pee break
post #90 of 4432 Old 10-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post

I also watched a bit of Avatar 3D with frame creation mode set to mode1...absolutely stunning 3D. Better than what Avatar looked like in the theater for me. I might never go the cinema again..especially since I have a buttkicker as well as the ability to pause for a pee break

A little cause and effect going on there?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Projectors , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page