post #991 of 4432 Old 10-20-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post

A local store promised they'll get AT5000 next week. (European model; it should be about $4100 without glasses.) Would my 106" 1.0 projection screen be adequate for 3D, or should I start searching for a higher power replacement? Slight ghosting or similar minor imperfections are acceptable. Room is completely light controlled, but otherwise it's not totally dark/dedicated theater room.

I have a 1.0 gain screen and it's plenty bright. the 7000 looks amazing on it

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4432 Old 10-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got my 7000 today. Two questions:

(1) I'm hearing a whirring sound from the motor which I don't think is normal. My 900 didn't make this sound. If I change between eco and normal the noise changes so it's for sure the motor. Anyone else experience this problem?

(2) Where do I check the lamp run time? I looked through the menus and can't find it. Must be looking in the wrong place. ... NEVER MIND I figured out you need to scroll down on the options menu.
post #993 of 4432 Old 10-20-2011, 04:55 PM

Liked: 10
Hi,

Has anyone tried or is using the Black Diamond G3 1.4 projector screen with this projector? Thoughts? I purchased the projector, but now need a screen.

I'm thinking it might be overkill, but without seeing it in person and comparing it to other products, it is hard to say. I will primarily be watching sports in dimly lit rooms and want a LED TV like image. Movies will be secondary and light controlled, but sports you kinda need some light in the room.

Thanks,
Jason
post #994 of 4432 Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineaste09 View Post

I've had my 7000 for 2 weeks. I can't believe this forum size in 2 weeks...33 pages?!? I don't even know where to begin to try and catch up. I'll make this as short as possible. I have 3 issues.

Lastly, I have always had my projectors at ceiling level and have had some ceiling mounted and some simply desktop sitting style at that level. I've always known this is not good for the angle as the lens "should" be at the bottom of the image in this configuration but it has never really affected it that much. I seem to be getting more keystoning, or unlevel image size than my other PJs. The right side of the image is bigger/taller than the left side. If I were to ceiling mount it (or rest it on it's hood so to speak) the lens couldn't be centered anymore and I'd get different keystoning that way. Anyone have any thoughts on which is worse or better?

Again, sorry if one of these issues has already been addressed, I will try and read through 33 pages and catch up with everyone. All in all, very happy with the unit so far. Certainly the brightest and BEST contrast/colors I have ever had in my home theater.

For this problem, you need to check your pJ and make sure it is level (both ways). then use the joystick to shift the lens to fit the screeen. that will eliminate the keystone effect.
post #995 of 4432 Old 10-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Liked: 11
I was tossing up between this projector, the Epson 5010 and the Optoma HD33. I ordered and paid for a Panny today, the ae7000e which is the Australian model. Unfortunately I have to wait until at least mid Nov before it ships. I sold my ae4000 and Acer 5360 so I'm without a projector for a month! I don't think I can cope that long
post #996 of 4432 Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo View Post

Can the Boxee Boxes play bluray ISO's? I have one of those.. but I don't have a Popcorn Hour device..

Yes it can, though it does them without chapters, scene selection, extras, etc. So it's BD-lite
post #997 of 4432 Old 10-20-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloweenboy View Post

Yes it can, though it does them without chapters, scene selection, extras, etc. So it's BD-lite

it doesn't do 3D BD ISO though right?

has anyone ordered the Himedia HD900B? I know that does 3D Bluray ISO.
post #998 of 4432 Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8rcr8z View Post

Hi,

Has anyone tried or is using the Black Diamond G3 1.4 projector screen with this projector? Thoughts? I purchased the projector, but now need a screen.

I'm thinking it might be overkill, but without seeing it in person and comparing it to other products, it is hard to say. I will primarily be watching sports in dimly lit rooms and want a LED TV like image. Movies will be secondary and light controlled, but sports you kinda need some light in the room.

Thanks,
Jason

it not overkill it look very good the black are better so is contrast i see it in a store it look good with a 106 g3 1.4 screen 3d wow 1.4 g3 you should like it
post #999 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would wait on the new 3d bluray iso players
post #1000 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 AM

I dunno if this has been posted already; the AE7000 won the best projector over 2500 pounds award in What Hi-fi's 2011 awards issue. Some interesting quotes from the review are "near faultless 3d performance" and in terms of negatives they mention that there is "nothing of note". They say that "This could well be the best projector we’ve ever seen at this price."

So far this projector has been getting nothing but glowing 5-star reviews from all the A/V sites and magazines.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-pt-at5000e
post #1001 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post

Ouch, that sounds expensive
Also I assume that the 5000 is PAL and not NTSC compatible?
If you only use HDMI that should not matter, but at that price I could by the 7000 and a Kick Ass sound system with speakers

Eh, that is actually a reasonably good price, MSRP here is about $4400

I wouldn't know about implemented support for PAL and NTSC - my country is PAL, but most of my disks are from Amazon.com, yet over digital connections they all work perfectly (on PT-AE2000).
post #1002 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgf_bean View Post

(1) I'm hearing a whirring sound from the motor which I don't think is normal. My 900 didn't make this sound. If I change between eco and normal the noise changes so it's for sure the motor. Anyone else experience this problem?

(2) Where do I check the lamp run time? I looked through the menus and can't find it. Must be looking in the wrong place. ... NEVER MIND I figured out you need to scroll down on the options menu.

How are you liking it so far?

Regarding the noise, the fan noise on my 7000 definitely sounds louder than it did on my 4000, but then again it's got a lot more heat to dissipate. I'm not sure whether what you are hearing is the fan or something else. If it's noticeable and distracting from more than a few feet away, then something could be amiss.
post #1003 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

The fan has to be somewhat louder - although it is REALLY quiet to begin with - to cool down this monster. It is 4x larger and heavier than my old Optoma HD65.

Wolfie
post #1004 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

it doesn't do 3D BD ISO though right?

has anyone ordered the Himedia HD900B? I know that does 3D Bluray ISO.

I have one arriving from the UK next week. I'll be posting comments in the HW30 thread.
post #1005 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news! Just got word the 3rd gen glasses arrived at the warehouse and are in process of shipping. This was for a twin-pack from Provantage. Hopefully the single pairs from ABT will follow soon.
post #1006 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it's louder than a typical projector fan noise, I'd be concerned.
I had to send my AE7000 back to PP (posted about it several pages back) because of a loud whirring noise and then it would auto shutdown after about 5 min. The circuit board ended up being bad on it. Got a brand new one in exchange so it wasn't a big deal, but I would be concerned and perhaps you should contact the place where you purchased it from.
post #1007 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 AM

OK the waiting is killing me... Projector is out with the FedEx guy, what to do what to do ..
post #1008 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arialis View Post

OK the waiting is killing me... Projector is out with the FedEx guy, what to do what to do ..

Im in the same boat as you but with UPS man LOL wait i think i hear the truck!
post #1009 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

How are you liking it so far?

Regarding the noise, the fan noise on my 7000 definitely sounds louder than it did on my 4000, but then again it's got a lot more heat to dissipate. I'm not sure whether what you are hearing is the fan or something else. If it's noticeable and distracting from more than a few feet away, then something could be amiss.

I only ran it for about 20 minutes yesterday in case I needed to send it back. For the little I viewed it looked great! My son had brought over his 3D glasses and an IMAX Hubble 3D BR disc. Very cool.

This morning I turned it on again to check the noise. It was gone, but then about a minute later I could start to hear it coming back. After 2 minutes or so it was fully back to what I heard last night. It's not like air or normal fan noise. Sounds like a bearing. Definitley not right. So I called PP back and they are going to ship me a replacement.

I've got equipment spread all over my living room now. I gutted virtually everything I have and replacing with all new toys. My old receiver didn't even know what HDMI was. I'm probably going to replace my HTPC too.

This projector is big! I'm used to the size of my AE900U. Oh and yes, the joystick is the same PITA as on my 900. The engineer responsible for that needs to get slapped. I can be critical like that 'cause I'm an engineer by trade.
post #1010 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by r8rcr8z View Post

You might want to consider the high contrast high power from Da-Lite if you are considering that screen and could put the projector a little bit low overhead (the projector isn't too high on the ceiling). In pull-downs they are pretty cheap and so not a lot of risk to try.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #1011 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widerscreen View Post

Im in the same boat as you but with UPS man LOL wait i think i hear the truck!

Fedex guy seems to have beaten the UPS guy,, now the fun begins..")
post #1012 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arialis View Post

Fedex guy seems to have beaten the UPS guy,, now the fun begins..")

yep as i sit a wait!!!!!
post #1013 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Okay guys here is one for you!

I have had my projector a few weeks now and have 41 hours on the lamp. I watched Underworld: Rise of the lycans today. The movie is mostly dark throughout. Everything looked great, but then I noticed a slight flicker to the picture. It would be regular then slightly darken over and over. I thought maybe the iris was having trouble with the blacks or something. I watched the entire movie and then went back to the home screen on my PS3. The home screen also had this flickering now. I never have seen this before, but I do remember another person having a flickering issue on here.

I pulled up the menu and disabled the iris - No effect. Messed with FC - no effect. Went from normal lamp mode to Eco mode and the flicker was still present. Checked out the different modes: cinema 1, cinema 2, Normal, etc. with no change in the flicker. Then I went to lamp mode and switched it back from eco to normal and the flicker went away. Have not watched another movie yet, but plan on it tonight. I will let you know if the flicker returns.

Nerver had an issue like this with my 900 that I had for 5 years. Hopefully it wont happen again, but we will see.
post #1014 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Just watched another movie and the flicker is back. It is very annoying and it looks like I will have to ship the projector out for repair or replacement. Seems the flicker started around 40 hrs of use so everyone that has the 7000u keep an eye out in case its a trend.
post #1015 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randito3 View Post

Just watched another movie and the flicker is back. It is very annoying and it looks like I will have to ship the projector out for repair or replacement. Seems the flicker started around 40 hrs of use so everyone that has the 7000u keep an eye out in case its a trend.

Have you had any other projectors? What brand? Your symptom sounds very much like the NORMAL unstable arc which will go away on its own with a few more hours on high lamp power. I've had four panny lamps (2 different projectors) over the past 5 years and at this point I would be wondering if I didn't see the "flicker" once or twice during the lamp life. It will very likely pass. (you may want to page back in this thread and read the quote from the projector expert on the lamps used in HT projectors)
post #1016 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Got my 7000 yesterday. I upgraded from a 4000. Need to spend more time with it to calibrate. At first glance, the picture motion is notably smoother (likely faster panels). Mode 3 frame creation is liquidy smooth, but gives more of the soap opera effect. Great with sports. I always used Mode 3 on the 4000, but Mode 1 and 2 look great on the 7000 depending on the TV show. Blu rays look great. 3D AMAZING!!!! I like it bright, so I was using Normal or Dynamic with Light glasses and Normal lamp to get brightest picture.

Important note:

I have a DVDO Edge for switching. It wouldn't work initially with the 3D. Then, I upgraded the firmware to 1.62 (see support on their website). Now it passes the 3D thru without a problem. So DVDO owners, you have to update the firmware!

So far so good, nothing funny with my projector. Screen looks clear corner to corner. I think focus seems better than my 4000. Could have been my 4000, never could get it focused perfectly.

I haven't noticed any ghosting in 3D. I'm probably just overwhelmed by the fantasticly clear picture in 3D (frame creation mode 3 great in 3D).

Projector much brighter, but I still like Normal mode the best (I like a bright picture). I have put the lamp in eco mode with everything but 3D so far and it is very bright.

Definately a different picture than the 4000. Getting used to it. Again, need to calibrate. (Using a 1.3 gain Carada screen).
post #1017 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 04:20 PM

Anyone know a good place to see this PJ in Phoenix? I'm here for the weekend.

Freelance Broadcast Technical Director

AVS Forum needs thread wiki!
See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=917548
post #1018 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikPMR View Post

...I think focus seems better than my 4000. Could have been my 4000, never could get it focused perfectly...

I agree. Every tap of the focus control on the 4000 resulted in a large jump in focus, consequently it was difficult to zero in on a sharp image. You would get it just about right, then one more tap sent it too far out.

The 7000's focus control seems to have finer granularity, and you can really get the image tack sharp.
post #1019 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

I agree. Every tap of the focus control on the 4000 resulted in a large jump in focus, consequently it was difficult to zero in on a sharp image. You would get it just about right, then one more tap sent it too far out.

The 7000's focus control seems to have finer granularity, and you can really get the image tack sharp.

I had the AE4000, if you tapped too quickly it would jump way ahead but if you tapped steadily it was fine. I found it fairly easy to use after working that out.
post #1020 of 4432 Old 10-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I have one arriving from the UK next week. I'll be posting comments in the HW30 thread.

great, I'll keep an eye out for it
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Projectors , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page