AVS Forum banner

OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector

573K views 5K replies 534 participants last post by  tolikboev 
#1 ·
Was told to start an OWNERS thread, so here it is. I've only put a few hours on it so far, but I'll cut and paste my first impressions from another thread:

Have had it on for about an hour now and I'm impressed!

3D is the best I have ever seen! There is absolutely NO CROSSTALK or GHOSTING visible. Even one of the best 3D titles I own (Despicable Me) had some ghosting visible on my other Panny plasmas (especially the title), not here. Of course poorly produced 3D will still look like crap, but the good ones will REALLY look great on this projector.

In my almost completely dark "man cave", I'm using the 'cinema 1' setting, eco lamp mode, and 'light' for the 3D glasses setting. I don't think that most people will find the 'normal' or 'dark' mode to be very pleasing, at least I don't.

Set up was relatively easy, especially if you've already owned a few Panasonics like I have (the 900 and 2000). I HATE the joystick lens shift adjustment, but it should only have to be set once, and as long as you don't change the positioning of the projector, you shouldn't need to touch it again. So far, everything else that's setup related has been a joy.

Those worried about the built in 3D emitter's range will be happy to hear that (at least with my setup: approx. 17' throw to a 120" Wilsonart Designer White screen) the 3D effect is not lost even when sitting 15' back from the screen. I have the built in emitter set to 'strong' and the lens shift cover off.

Of course these are only my very first impressions, so I'll have to really give it a workout later tonight. Will check out a lot more 3D (both Blu Ray and cable) as well as 2D.

BTW, mine was delivered by FED EXP (overnight service). It came from Memphis, TN.

See less See more
#903 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN /forum/post/21097065

I have my Harmony One programmed to select HDMI1 for the BD player and HDMI2 for everything else.

This is what I do with the 310. So where did you find direct codes for the 7000 Input selections? I don't think they are the same as the 2000, but maybe I'm wrong

#904 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P /forum/post/21097197

This is what I do with the 310. So where did you find direct codes for the 7000 Input selections? I don't think they are the same as the 2000, but maybe I'm wrong

I use the equivalent RS-232 commands for direct input selection, but it's also possible to program the Harmony One to use the single IR code for input selection. When you set up an activity, you have to explicitly tell the Harmony One what the various input selection options are (component, s-video, etc.) and which one to use for that activity. The list has to be complete and in the correct order even if you don't intend to use all the options (because the remote needs to be able to determine how to cycle through all the options to find the correct one).

I had to manually correct the order (it listed only one HDMI input for example). I don't think the 7000 codes in the LogiTech database are complete. For example the new 3D button is missing and I had to program that manually. Their database may still be using the old 4000 codes.

#905 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/21096870

I suppose if you want to limit yourself to using the BluRay player on your projector that is fine. But for us who use our reciever to switch multiple sources to the projector that is not a good option. Also having a HTPC I would never use a stand alone again, mater a fact I don't even have a stand alone DVD or BluRay now.

Still not seeing that as an issue with an HDMI switch before the projector...

#906 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42 /forum/post/21094757

2 things that convinced me over the Epson.

FI in 3d, the Epson does not have this feature. As well as Dynamic Iris in 3d, for whatever reason Epson opted out of these 2 features.

The Panny is rated at 2000lumens, and the Epson 3010 is 2200, this will equate to very little difference in 3d.

I can't find any direct evidence which supports these claims that the Epson does not do FI in 3D mode. I've read through the Epson thread and found a couple of links but there's nothing on those to suggest the 5010 does not have this feature in 3D. Google is no help either. The fact that there are no real reviews yet lends weight to the suggestion that nobody actually knows.

I'm also having trouble finding measurements of lumen output for the AE7000 in 3D mode. I know the Acer 5360 measured around 700 lumens in 3D mode but with the glasses on it dropped to under 200. With the 480hz panels on the Panny the lumen output won't drop as significantly, percentage wise, because the glasses are open longer.

#907 ·
Well I sit here projector less in my theatre awaiting for panasonic to get off their ass and ship me a new one. now they are saying its going to take 2-3 weeks WTF! so i have been screwed over by Panasonic and Visual apex as Visual apex will not return my call.

#909 ·
Just got the PT-AE7000U this afternoon and was excited to post about how great it is when I noticed a vertical band that would sometimes appear that is not part of the source material or an issue with the screen. This is my first projector, though I've set up a few others and haven't come across this issue before. I'm assuming it's a problem with one of the LCD panels? Anyone know if this kind of problem goes away after a while? I've only gotten the bulb up to two hours so far, but I feel like it's a pipe dream to think this could just magically go away.

Here's a picture of what I mean. It shows up mostly in darker scenes, and it can flicker a bit when it does. Sometimes it's purple and sometimes it's a little more pink. It runs mostly from top to bottom depending on the scene. This is a photo taken from my iphone and it's a close up of Nicholas Cage's sweater in Kick Ass.

Hate for my first post in this forum to be about this, but what can I do? So far the projector, other than this band, is fantastic. I'm using a 120" screen with a gain of 1. On eco mode it's plenty bright, but I haven't adjusted the picture on cinema1 mode at all yet. Was hoping to do that tonight, but now it looks like I will have to wait until I know whether I have to send this back or if it's a problem that can be fixed.

I appreciate any help.

#911 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner /forum/post/21097814

Wow I must say I'm a bit perplexed to hear about some of these problems people are having with their brand new projectors.

WELL IT SUCKS!

BUT, I WILL add that Im sure there are more happy people with their 7000's than unhappy. I was very very happy till mine went to flickering REAL bad.

#912 ·
There is bound to be a few bad apples, the crappy thing is how it's getting handled by the sellers. I'm very confident that if anything arises with mine, it will be taken care of asap!

#915 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallanOz /forum/post/21098005

Let me know how you go with importing? Are you using Price USA?

I haven't made up my mind whether I'm going to get this Panny or whether I'm going to go with the Epson. There's not enough info out yet on the Epson 5010 (TW8000 in Oz) and with the problems reported with the Panny so far, I'm not sure importing one is a good idea. Yes I know the chances are slim of getting a problematic unit but tell that to the guys who are having to send theirs back to Panny for replacements. Local warranty is quite valuable in cases like this.

#916 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt /forum/post/0

I haven't made up my mind whether I'm going to get this Panny or whether I'm going to go with the Epson. There's not enough info out yet on the Epson 5010 (TW8000 in Oz) and with the problems reported with the Panny so far, I'm not sure importing one is a good idea. Yes I know the chances are slim of getting a problematic unit but tell that to the guys who are having to send theirs back to Panny for replacements. Local warranty is quite valuable in cases like this.

Yeah I feel the same about having a local warranty. I wish Panasonic had a global warranty. So I could send it to the local rep.

#917 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt /forum/post/0

Hi Mate,

I thought I would give you a heads up.
http://www.projectisle.com.au/Produc...x?ProdID=27652 are taking per-orders till Friday with a price that is the USA price+GST+100. after Friday there will be a small price rise. They reckon they will have them 2nd week of November. I just missed out on an earlier shipment.

#918 ·
I replaced my 900 I had for 5 years with the 7000 and could not be happier. I got it a week ago and have already put over 20 hours on it.

I decided to make the investment on the 7000 and am thrilled with the quality, but am contemplating finally replacing my DIY screen I made out of blackout cloth 5 years ago.

I know there is a constant debate over types of screens, I am just overall wondering how significant of an improvement people have seen with an incredible projector like this with different screens. I guess the bottom line is I have seen such a significant improvement over the 900, I am wondering if I will truly see that much more of a difference if I can purchase something like th Carada Brilliant White CinemaScope over my DIY blackout cloth.

Thanks in advance.

#919 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbuddha /forum/post/21096708

Now this is strictly personal preference.

On 2D content, this feature drives me insane. Especially movie content. I love the almost flickering film look lol.

In 3D mode (as another user pointed out) it looks TOO real lol. But after 5 minutes I forgot I was watching a movie. It was nothing short of incredible on an 80" screen in the store .. Can't wait to get a unit home to my 106" screen!

Hope that helps!

djbuddha

Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P /forum/post/21096721

Yes. Frame Creation Mode 3 is best for 3D, not so good for 2D except for sports maybe. Anything less than FC Mode 3 in 3D causes jitter on fast moving objects for me - kinda like stop motion flicker on any fast portion in the scene. Not sure how you can watch 3D that way at all.

FC Mode 3 with 3D does not produce the same home-video/soap opera look as it does in 2D for whatever reason. For 2D I use FC Mode 1 at most and the pictures are quite smooth enough and 95% film-like.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if that last part is just a difference in perception between 2d and 3d (James Cameron mentioned that a switch to 48fps would be significantly beneficial to 3D because we notice the difference between what we perceive as REAL motion vs. motion artifacts more acutely in 3D because it looks closer to real life and the differences are more noticeable), or if this might have anything to do with what I mentioned about the maximum FI not being available (meaning the number of created frames inserted between actual/original frames) in 3D vs 2D despite what the menu might indicate.

I need to find a place with the 7000 on display in MI or in the Cleveland area to take a look at this puppy in person.

Max

#920 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG /forum/post/21097325

Still not seeing that as an issue with an HDMI switch before the projector...

It is possible with a switch yes, just get more involved. I actually have two bigger reasons why it isn't an option for me.

1) I don't want to go through the hassle of running another 40' HDMI cable through my ceiling

2) I out out my BluRay play back to two different devices (TV and Projector) makes it harder to do with switches.

#921 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt /forum/post/21097670

I can't find any direct evidence which supports these claims that the Epson does not do FI in 3D mode. I've read through the Epson thread and found a couple of links but there's nothing on those to suggest the 5010 does not have this feature in 3D. Google is no help either. The fact that there are no real reviews yet lends weight to the suggestion that nobody actually knows.

I'm also having trouble finding measurements of lumen output for the AE7000 in 3D mode. I know the Acer 5360 measured around 700 lumens in 3D mode but with the glasses on it dropped to under 200. With the 480hz panels on the Panny the lumen output won't drop as significantly, percentage wise, because the glasses are open longer.

According to the German report from Cine4home the Epson disables the following in 3D -- 1) the super resolution feature, 2) the DI and 3) the FI.

I've pretty much written off the Epson because of this. I'll try and find the link.

Here it is:

http://translate.google.com/translat...000_Test_A.htm

"The factory calibration will cost a certain amount of light in high mode, glasses remain 140 lumens, 115 lumens in medium and low in 85Lumen. The contrast in both modes amounts to about 5000:1 native, an adaptive aperture control in 3D mode is not universally supported.

Subtracting this still in mind that colors can be especially gamma and subsequently further optimized, the TW9000 offers (W) according to the current state of the art a good and powerful 3D performance. The only downer: Neither the 120Hz interframe even the super-resolution can be activated in 3D feature films remained in their original 24 (48) Hz movement frequency."

There's your evidence! Looks like the Acer is still brighter than the Epson (150, 140 and 85 lumens in 3D mode depending on how you adjust the glasses and that's with a new lamp).

#922 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybob /forum/post/21096916

what kind of screen and projector settings are you using to make it "too bright"? do you have a high gain screen? are you saying it's too bright in "cinema 1" setting in both 2D and 3D, or are you using the "normal" setting? I think the concern about the panasonic is that its best color setting, "cinema 1" only puts out around 550-560 lumens, and probably only in the 400-450 range in econo mode, which tend to be less than the equivalent best color modes on competing projectors that tend to put out over 800 lumens. i have no doubt that you can make the thing too bright by going to those modes that put out 1000-2000 lumens, but then you are sacrificing the color and contrast.

I am using a very expensive screen technology called 'Ralph Laren Flat White Enamel on drywall'
I get good color balance and loads of brightness with just the 'Nornal' setting. I have pretty much used the 'out of box' picture settings. Very little adjustments. You're right about 'Cinema 1', it is way too dark for my taste. And no, I'm not sacrificing any color and contrast with my 'Nornal'. In fact, I have set my picture setting memories to 'Inside Sports' for any game indoors, 'Outside Sports' for any game outside and even 'Night Sports' for any game at night...can you see a pattern here?

Wolfie

#924 ·
I have seen a few questions about using HDMI switches to circumvent non-3D capable receivers. I had to do this. Below is a drawing of how I did it with my BDP-93 and PS3 because both of these use frame packed 3D on bluray format. The Xbox360 (and other side by side or top/bottom 3D devices) should be able to pass 3D through the non-3D receivers since it is not frame packed. Please excuse my poor handwriting.

Edit: Just realized I may have not made a few things clear.

1. The splitter for the PS3 is so video content can be sent to the projector independent of the receiver while still sending audio content to the receiver.

2. The HDMI 2 output on the Oppo is for audio only (set that way in the player options). HDMI 1 sends the video directly to the projector.

3. The receiver out is for other video capable devices that I don't have in the drawing (Wii, HTPC,etc.)

I have not had any audio-video sync issues with this setup for either PS3 or Oppo.

#927 ·

I have seen a few questions about using HDMI switches to circumvent non-3D capable receivers. I had to do this. Below is a drawing of how I did it with my BDP-93 and PS3 because both of these use frame packed 3D on bluray format. The Xbox360 (and other side by side or top/bottom 3D devices) should be able to pass 3D through the non-3D receivers since it is not frame packed. Please excuse my poor handwriting.

1. The splitter for the PS3 is so video content can be sent to the projector independent of the receiver while still sending audio content to the receiver.

---------

What is your splitter brand or specifications ?

#925 ·
Sweet my projector is in the mail and be here Friday. Can someone recommend a decent mount for this projector? One of the main reasons I purchased this model is in want to take advantage of the cih between 2.35 and 16.9 content. So the mount needs to lower projector into the correct range...

#926 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt /forum/post/21098113

I saw at a vendor site a rebate for extending the warranty to two years, so I guess the regular is one year. Is that so?

#928 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg661 /forum/post/21100004

2. The HDMI 2 output on the Oppo is for audio only (set that way in the player options). HDMI 1 sends the video directly to the projector.

3. The receiver out is for other video capable devices that I don't have in the drawing (Wii, HTPC,etc.)

I have not had any audio-video sync issues with this setup for either PS3 or Oppo.

Very useful information, thank you! So I can send 3D from my XBOX 360 to my non-3D-capable Onkyo TX-SR707 via HDMI, and it will pass the 3D and keep 5.1?

I'm guessing the PS3 is a bit more tricky with only 1 HDMI output, meaning I can only connect it via HDMI to the projector for 3D, and use optical for audio. Not a big deal, I suppose....

So, the Panasonic 310BT or the Oppo for Blu-ray? I don't need a media player..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.