AVS Forum banner

OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector

573K views 5K replies 534 participants last post by  tolikboev 
#1 ·
Was told to start an OWNERS thread, so here it is. I've only put a few hours on it so far, but I'll cut and paste my first impressions from another thread:

Have had it on for about an hour now and I'm impressed!

3D is the best I have ever seen! There is absolutely NO CROSSTALK or GHOSTING visible. Even one of the best 3D titles I own (Despicable Me) had some ghosting visible on my other Panny plasmas (especially the title), not here. Of course poorly produced 3D will still look like crap, but the good ones will REALLY look great on this projector.

In my almost completely dark "man cave", I'm using the 'cinema 1' setting, eco lamp mode, and 'light' for the 3D glasses setting. I don't think that most people will find the 'normal' or 'dark' mode to be very pleasing, at least I don't.

Set up was relatively easy, especially if you've already owned a few Panasonics like I have (the 900 and 2000). I HATE the joystick lens shift adjustment, but it should only have to be set once, and as long as you don't change the positioning of the projector, you shouldn't need to touch it again. So far, everything else that's setup related has been a joy.

Those worried about the built in 3D emitter's range will be happy to hear that (at least with my setup: approx. 17' throw to a 120" Wilsonart Designer White screen) the 3D effect is not lost even when sitting 15' back from the screen. I have the built in emitter set to 'strong' and the lens shift cover off.

Of course these are only my very first impressions, so I'll have to really give it a workout later tonight. Will check out a lot more 3D (both Blu Ray and cable) as well as 2D.

BTW, mine was delivered by FED EXP (overnight service). It came from Memphis, TN.

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P /forum/post/21029151

if from PP, I think you can get full replacement along as you don't go over 2 hours on bulb (maybe more?).

I think I had it on for less than 2 hours or somewhere around that mark.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy /forum/post/0

Yea its depressing for sure

Try focusing on the blob. You should be able to tell if it's on the panel and whether it's dust or something else.

#79 ·
That's not a dust blob. I showed this pic to my buddy at the panny repair shop, he said for sure not a dust blob but what the actual problem is, he's not sure. He said it's pretty much impossible for the 7000 to get bust blobs. They have one there that is all taken apart and he said the path is pretty much as sealed a as lcos unit.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy /forum/post/0

Yea its depressing for sure

That doesn't look like a dust blob to me, mine on the old AE3000 looked like pale green circles the size of a small apple and could only be seen in pitch black scene(but only really noticeable when booting up before a source kicked in.

This looks like a defective LCD panel, we had a similar look to our works projector, looked like someone took a yellow marker and drew a big shape on the screen.

Think you have been unlucky, should be a quick fix

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamphear /forum/post/0

You guys have to admit, it's pretty funny. The projector has only been shipping for a couple days, only a few people even have them, and already someone is posting about a dust blob. I don't even think the AE4000 had someone complaining about dust blobs until after wide release. It's like some sort of Panasonic trademark, they should put in on their brochures and marketing literature. "Featuring Smooth Screen Technology and Advanced Dust Blob Design!"

If it is a dust blob, doesn't look like one.

Alot of guys have ordered but haven't received yet, should see more during the week.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/0

That's not a dust blob. I showed this pic to my buddy at the panny repair shop, he said for sure not a dust blob but what the actual problem is, he's not sure. He said it's pretty much impossible for the 7000 to get bust blobs. They have one there that is all taken apart and he said the path is pretty much as sealed a as lcos unit.

I'd agree, plus other reviews have stated it's as good as sealed

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/21029301

Thanks!

It's best seen in these pictures, look for the blue spot.

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy /forum/post/21029172

I think I had it on for less than 2 hours or somewhere around that mark.

Just checked and it's 4 hours, in case you need to examine it some more.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy /forum/post/21029360

Thanks!

It's best seen in these pictures, look for the blue spot.

So what happens when you try focusing on it?

#86 ·
I used to get dust blobs once in a while with my 900, but was always able to clear them up myself using the compressed air through the slot method. Never had to send it back. My 2000 has over 2300 hours on it and has never had a dust blob.

Had some friends over last night and we checked out more 3D Blu Rays. I was still using 'cinema 1' with no other adjustments to brightness or contrast etc.. The 3D wowed them, of course, but they did comment about how the glasses decrease the brightness. Will have to experiment with different modes and settings until I find a pleasing compromise. Has anyone any setting preferences for 3D with the 7000 yet? I know it's a bit early, and I was really going to wait until the lamp has at least 100 hours on it before doing any final tweaking.

By audience request, I Also tried some 2D to 3D conversion with the "Star Wars Ep. IV" Blu Ray. I was not impressed with the results, but then this is a feature that I don't really care for in the first place. But I may play around with it in the future. There are so many settings and adjustments on the menu that it just boggles my mind!

Back to 2D. Watched some scenes from the new "BEN-HUR" Blu Ray. Can't get over what a great job WB did with this. Colors and details really POP! Looks like it was made yesterday, not 52 years ago!

Anyway, only 13 hours on the lamp so far, Still need to do a LOT more viewing and tweaking. At least I haven't noticed any mfg. defects so far. Sorry to hear that at least one person will have to get a replacement. Guess it's just bad luck. I'm hopeful that there will be a lot more positives than negatives with this projector. I've got my fingers crossed.

More to come...

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamphear /forum/post/21029120

You guys have to admit, it's pretty funny. The projector has only been shipping for a couple days, only a few people even have them, and already someone is posting about a dust blob. I don't even think the AE4000 had someone complaining about dust blobs until after wide release. It's like some sort of Panasonic trademark, they should put in on their brochures and marketing literature. "Featuring Smooth Screen Technology and Advanced Dust Blob Design!"

let's make sure not to start spreding rumors that confuse people.

That is not a dust blob, I had the same problem some years ago. that is one of the LCD panels.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara /forum/post/21029580

That is not a dust blob, I had the same problem some years ago. that is one of the LCD panels.

I didn't say it was one, I said someone was posting about one (apparently conjecture in this case). My AE7000 arrives on Tuesday so don't mistake me for some of the other people in this thread trying to stir up ****. I just think it's genuinely funny that Panasonic has such problems and a well-deserved reputation for dust blobs, when it's an issue they should have fixed half a decade ago.

#89 ·
Definitely looks like a problem with the LCD panel not a dust blob. I've seen dust blobs before and it doesn't look like what you have.

on another note...

I'm using Cinema1 (with detail clarity set to 4) for 2D blurays

I'm using Normal mode (with detail clarity at default 3) for 3D blurays. Cinema 2 mode also looks good in 3D. For 3D I make sure the glasses are set to "light".

All other settings are at default.

I also watched a bit of Avatar 3D with frame creation mode set to mode1...absolutely stunning 3D. Better than what Avatar looked like in the theater for me. I might never go the cinema again..especially since I have a buttkicker as well as the ability to pause for a pee break

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie /forum/post/21029869

I also watched a bit of Avatar 3D with frame creation mode set to mode1...absolutely stunning 3D. Better than what Avatar looked like in the theater for me. I might never go the cinema again..especially since I have a buttkicker as well as the ability to pause for a pee break

A little cause and effect going on there?

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz /forum/post/21028279

That is WHY I bought a Panasonic 3D Player first and the PJ second.

3D Avatar is FREE when you buy a 3D Player.

The sales person at Best Buy told me they were not offering it with the 3d Players anymore. grrr

#92 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randito3
The sales person at Best Buy told me they were not offering it with the 3d Players anymore. grrr
My Two Cent recommendation is NEVER TO BUY from BEST BUY.

All their salesmen know is SELLING you what they HAVE.

Read the ATTACHED DOCUMENT

Avatar_MIR_Form._V170264116_.pdf 236.0205078125k . file

Attachments

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara /forum/post/21029580

Please give me a call.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollokings /forum/post/21031477

Can anyone comment on how the 2.35.1 mode looks on the the screen with this projector? I will be buying this projector soon so I am very happy this forum is now available!!!

+1. I've already purchased it, its on the way along with a 2.35:1 136"; I want to know how noticeable the black will be on the top and bottom when I zoom to cinemascope....

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 /forum/post/21029158

It was late at night and I made a joke. Obviously, every projector has weaknesses and has traits that annoy owners. Why can't they do that, why didn't they do that? Of course changing anything costs money.

As an avid reader of projector threads, I get a little jaded. I do think you have a right to be annoyed, I just think in the reality of things it would be no more than a minor annoyance at most for many. Please do not be offended. I was just goofing a bit with you. I do that.

Please forgive me.

Now optimum set up. Every projector trades brightness vs on/off based on throw distance ratio. Place it closer, you get more ANSI lumens out but less on/off. Place it farther away and you gain on off and lose some ANSI lumens. The functions are a log function and putting things in the middle gives you probably close to the worst in any direction. From end to end, the fall off in either might be around 30% with most of the fall off occuring rapidly as one moves from an extreme. For maximum of either, one needs mounting close to an extreme. One has to chose their poison. What do you want? This will involve screen size and gain. What's the minimum of either you will accept? This is best discussed with a call as we can go into everything and you can make relevant choices, something you must do, not the advisor.

As to lens shift, the more range a manufacturer provides the greater the possible optical deterioration in image quality available. The smaller the lens diameter the worse things can get. Just remember for optimum optical performance, geometry and focus, and lack of chromatic aberrations, a lens will perform best if the chip imagre coming out of the optical block is centered in the lens. The bigger the lens, the bigger the center area is and the more you can shift away from that without deterioration. Now do not be afraid to use lens shift if you need it, just try to stay away from the extremes. Even at close to an extreme, performance over most of the screen will still be good but not as good as possible. If you want to discuss, just give me a call.

The problem described does not appear to be a dust blob. Some defect in the optical block, probably a panel defect, Just relax and wait until Monday to call your dealer, I am sure they will promptly resolve things for you.

Detailed answer and to the point, thanks! I might give you a call when I know what are the possible mounting distances in my setup. I'm new to projectors so my knowledge on these matters is very primitive. There's just one thing I'm not sure I understand from your answer; when you say putting things in the middle gives you the worst in any direction, do you mean that placing the projector at mid-throw is not a good idea? I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

#101 ·
I thought it looked like a dust spot from the first report but the picture shows that it is probably something else. I have never heard before that it is possible to seal LCD units to avoid dust blobs. It is possible to have better filters and I am sure that Panasonic has a good one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.