OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Larryad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It could be my camera. I know the whites are being crushed a bit, so it's probably true that the blacks are as well. That may well be do to my settings. I'm still experimenting. I do know there is more shadow image than what I could show in my photo. But your statement about the two units may also be correct.
Larryad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mopar_Mudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rice Lake, WI
Posts: 1,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Medina View Post

How's the brightness of this projector? Is it bright enough to light up a 10-feet wide, 2:35, 1.3 gain screen?

Alot of it has to do with personal prefference. But I light a 140" wide 1.0 screen with a Panny 4000 and the 7000 is suppose to be brighter.
Mopar_Mudder is offline  
post #123 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Member
 
kmfellows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad View Post

It could be my camera. The pictures do darken down a bit and also build an additional compression in them. I wouldn't go strictly by a photo. You can discern more detail when the picture is in motion rather than being paused. Problem is for a photo it just blurs. But your statement about the two units may also be correct.

I wouldn't read anything into an uncalibrated (right?) screenshot... Previous Panasonic projectors have excellent shadow detail and don't crush blacks..Panasonic of course has no way of knowing what size screen, throw distance, screen gain or ambient lighting the end user may have. After calibrating with WOW, S&M, AVIA or whatever one chooses to use for setting contrast/black levels etc etc, we should be able to get pretty close to a super fantastic pq. Those pictures will look much better than an uncalibrated projector screen shot uploaded and viewed on a low contrast, non-hd display that most of us are viewing on... (imho)...kf (mine arrives 10/5 to replace a panny 3000).
kmfellows is offline  
post #124 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Larryad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have made no attempts yet to calibrate the image. I'm just playing yet and I did state that. However the images do look pretty good on a high def moniter. At least I think so. My camera, however, can't resolve every detail that the screen shows.
Larryad is offline  
post #125 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigitalGriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA USA
Posts: 1,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfellows View Post

Those pictures will look much better than an uncalibrated projector screen shot uploaded and viewed on a low contrast, non-hd display that most of us are viewing on... (imho)...kf (mine arrives 10/5 to replace a panny 3000).

I know it's not my display because I did a gamma & contrast crank on the lowest 25% to see if the details were preserved. This would eliminate any black crush due to my LCD monitor. There were 3 shades. Black, dark grey, medium grey. So it's likely the camera or the uncalibrated panny.

A simple +3 stop setting on the camera while using point spot light meter on a dark scene will determine if the detail is there or not. You'll get white crush on the camera ofcourse , but it will bring out the dark detail if it is present.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
DigitalGriffin is offline  
post #126 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kevin 3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did the same pic on my JVC RS10 when the film was released.

JVC RS10


Panasonic PT-AE7000
Kevin 3000 is online now  
post #127 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Newbie
 
TELSTARS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will you all please provide info about which screen you are using?!? The screen obviously makes a hell of a difference to what image a projector is throwing,in fact it`s crucial no?
I`m an extremely happy owner of the 4000 with a Draper glass bead Luma 2,a set up which is tremendous for me as I need no wide viewing angle at all.But if I(when I!) upgrade to the 7000 I`m thinking I might get a new screen. As brilliant as the Draper is,I think this new 7000 would show it`s flaws....any suggestions? Apologies if this is wronly posted but I do stick by my suggestion of us listing which screen we are all using as nothing is more important to a projector outside the lighting set up of the viewing room,no? Thanks and congrats to Panasonic for their great line of projectors.
TELSTARS is offline  
post #128 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Larryad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice pic. It is no doubt mostly my camera.
Larryad is offline  
post #129 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
damelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Still, the differences in those two pictures are bigger than I'd like. I sincerely hope that it is just projector and/or calibration. A lot of detail is lost in blacks there.
damelon is offline  
post #130 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Larryad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to apologize. I just quickly put some photos up to give an idea of how the picture looks and the color. I didn't think they looked too bad, but I guess my camera wasn't up to the challenge. Looking at the photos. My pictures look much more compressed. I really wasn't expecting someone to start examining them at the pixel level. I should know better around here. I will remove all photos in question. Again please accept my apologies.
Larryad is offline  
post #131 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Member
 
mcstiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Still, the differences in those two pictures are bigger than I'd like. I sincerely hope that it is just projector and/or calibration. A lot of detail is lost in blacks there.

Screen shots mean absolutely nothing unless they are taken with the same source material, same size and gain screen, same environment and same camera with the exact same setting such as WB, F-stop, etc....... I would caution everyone on making any judgments from pics.
mcstiles is offline  
post #132 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Member
 
jstabb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The merits of comparing photos taken of projected images has been discussed many times on these forums. Unless the photos are taken with the exact same exposure settings under identical conditions (room, room lighting, screen, etc...) you cannot compare the photos. The slightest change in exposure can have a huge impact on dark detail.

Not to mention, most DSLRs (let's not even mention compact cameras) can only capture a dynamic range of ~9EV (which translates to a 512:1 contrast ratio). So that dynamic range has to be leveraged carefully on the part of the image you want to analyze (shadow details in this case).

Also throw some JPG compression in the mix, along with the capabilities and calibration of the display you're viewing the photos on.

To me, the photo of the AE7000 posted by Kevin seems underexposed. Which is why the entire image appears dimmer compared the RS10 photo. This would definitely crush the blacks.

Note: I'm on the pre-order list for the RS45, so I have no vested interest in the AE7000 being proven to have JVC black levels or anything.

jstabb is offline  
post #133 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Member
 
Mark Basile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first projector and I am using a 1.0 gain 100" screen seated approximately 11 feet. The build of the projector is very solid and has a nicely designed look and feel to it. Setup was very easy - just one HDMI cable in from my Denon 3311 amp. The unit lit up and the screen is very uniform. It took me about half an hour to center and straighten the projector picture, which overall was easy, but I understand where the comments about difficulty with the joystick come from - but again, hopefully this is a one time setup deal. From reading various reviews I began with the Rec709 preset in eco mode, which is silent. Did a quick calibration using the WOW disc. The picture is sharp and detailed, resolving all of the 1080p resolution. However, after viewing a couple of demo scenes on the disc, I felt the snap and pop simply was not what I expected. There was no dimensionality to the picture - disappointed. I then switched sources to the XBOX 360, and tried Game mode. The picture was now plasma-like, and I turned on Frame Creation, and was very impressed. Switched back to Blu-Ray and re-calibrated using the Normal mode. Stunning. THIS met and exceeded my expectations for overall picture quality, sharpness, and snap. I know that the color may not be absolutely perfect, but the brightness in Rec709, in my humble opinion is, just does not make for a great picture, regardless of how accurate the colors are.

I've really looked forward to my first projector, and enjoyed reading the comments thus far. I have not tried 3D yet, but will post again when I do.
Mark Basile is offline  
post #134 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,980
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstabb View Post

The merits of comparing photos taken of projected images has been discussed many times on these forums. Unless the photos are taken with the exact same exposure settings under identical conditions (room, room lighting, screen, etc...) you cannot compare the photos.

I will add to this and even say that photos are meaningless EVEN if taken at the exact same settings. Very few people have good enough equipment and have two projectors calibrated accurately enough to be able to do such a thing. There is only one time when you can look at a photo as a reference, that is if a reliable source took the picture and is telling you that he saw the same thing with his own eyes when looking at the projected image directly before he took the photo.

All a photo does is to convey the end-result visually, but as others have said screenshots are less than worthless for comparing.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #135 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Basile View Post

This is my first projector and I am using a 1.0 gain 100" screen seated approximately 11 feet. The build of the projector is very solid and has a nicely designed look and feel to it. Setup was very easy - just one HDMI cable in from my Denon 3311 amp. The unit lit up and the screen is very uniform. It took me about half an hour to center and straighten the projector picture, which overall was easy, but I understand where the comments about difficulty with the joystick come from - but again, hopefully this is a one time setup deal. From reading various reviews I began with the Rec709 preset in eco mode, which is silent. Did a quick calibration using the WOW disc. The picture is sharp and detailed, resolving all of the 1080p resolution. However, after viewing a couple of demo scenes on the disc, I felt the snap and pop simply was not what I expected. There was no dimensionality to the picture - disappointed. I then switched sources to the XBOX 360, and tried Game mode. The picture was now plasma-like, and I turned on Frame Creation, and was very impressed. Switched back to Blu-Ray and re-calibrated using the Normal mode. Stunning. THIS met and exceeded my expectations for overall picture quality, sharpness, and snap. I know that the color may not be absolutely perfect, but the brightness in Rec709, in my humble opinion is, just does not make for a great picture, regardless of how accurate the colors are.

I've really looked forward to my first projector, and enjoyed reading the comments thus far. I have not tried 3D yet, but will post again when I do.

Nice impressions. Any comments on input lag for gaming?
WilliamG is offline  
post #136 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 1,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Assuming all things are "equal", I would still prefer the old RS10's picture since I do not need 3D. A used RS10 would be less expensive than the new ae4000.

In terms of bias, I used to have JVCs and my backup is an old Panny ae900u.
dragonbud0 is offline  
post #137 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Newbie
 
TELSTARS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mark,what is your TV source, Directv,Comcast,etc??? Interested to know how sports from those feeds are? Thanks and good luck.
TELSTARS is offline  
post #138 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Member
 
kyoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered one late last night.. this is my first projector.. I have a conduit in the ceiling for where I had hoped to put a projector some 6 years ago when I was building out the room..

But what cables do I need to run up to it? It's a 25 ft cable run from device to projector.

Obviously 3 HDMI cables
Several CAT5 or CAT6 for either ethernet or Infared Repeating, or some weird HDMI over CAT5 task I may want to do in the future?? I'm thinking maybe 4 CAT5's just in case..
I don't think I'll bother with a VGA cable anymore..
What are the two 3.5mm looking jacks? Do I need a serial cable of some sort? Will that run over CAT5, I hope, w/ an adapter of some sort to go to the 9-pin RS232? Obviously I'll be missing a conductor for the 9th pin..

Thanks for any tips! I need to get my cables ordered..
kyoo is offline  
post #139 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Member
 
kmfellows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad View Post

I have to apologize. I just quickly put some photos up to give an idea of how the picture looks and the color. I didn't think they looked too bad, but I guess my camera wasn't up to the challenge. Looking at the photos. My pictures look much more compressed. I really wasn't expecting someone to start examining them at the pixel level. I should know better around here. Again my projector is not calibrated and I made no claim to. My screen is lower gain but from my perspective, in person I'm happy with it and given my space, I really don't think I personally would want anything much brighter. I will remove all but the photo in question. Again please accept my apologies.

No need to apologize. My only concern was people who may not know better looking at the pic and reply and thinking "wow, I don't want that projector, it seems it crushes black, so I'll try to find one that doesn't". The pic of TDK comparing the 2 scenes, the bottom one seems to crush whites, detail lost in the mask..which again, doesn't mean the projector is prone to "white crush"..
I enjoy reading everyone's impression of their new projector, but know I shouldn't cancel my order if I detect a lack of shadow detail on a screen shot. I hope you post some more though! It's fun. kf
kmfellows is offline  
post #140 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Member
 
claymic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why put pictures from jvc here ? There is no better place to do that ?
I am very greatful for the pictures from ae7000 posted here and must be a better place to put comments about jvc projectors and anyone with minimal of intelligence will not to take this pictures "so serious". Its for fun and make the "owners thread" more beautiful.
claymic is offline  
post #141 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Member
 
Mark Basile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do not have a Time Warner box in the theater room yet. Thanks.
Mark Basile is offline  
post #142 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Member
 
dave1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post

Did the same pic on my JVC RS10 when the film was released.

JVC RS10


Panasonic PT-AE7000

going just on these pics the rs-10's image looks alot sharper. kind of a disappointment from the panny
dave1969 is offline  
post #143 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Member
 
dave1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymic View Post

Why put pictures from jvc here ? There is no better place to do that ?
I am very greatful for the pictures from ae7000 posted here and must be a better place to put comments about jvc projectors and anyone with minimal of intelligence will not to take this pictures "so serious". Its for fun and make the "owners thread" more beautiful.

waaahhhhh
dave1969 is offline  
post #144 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1969 View Post

going just on these pics the rs-10's image looks alot sharper. kind of a disappointment from the panny

All those two pics say to me is: Kevin 3000 has a lot nicer camera, and is a much better photographer of projected images, than the owner of the Panny.
Killroy is offline  
post #145 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Member
 
claymic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man, this is only a picture. Take from a no professional camera. This not reflect the truth of picture quality from AE7000.
claymic is offline  
post #146 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Member
 
claymic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

All those two pics say to me is: Kevin 3000 has a lot nicer camera, and is a much better photographer of projected images, than the owner of the Panny.

Finally.
claymic is offline  
post #147 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mopar_Mudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rice Lake, WI
Posts: 1,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anyone tried lense memory in 3D mode, I know their was never a clear answer to if you could call up a different memory while watching 3D.
Mopar_Mudder is offline  
post #148 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Member
 
claymic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brazil
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, you can't call the lens memory in 3D mode. You have to select this before watch the 3D movie.
claymic is offline  
post #149 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Member
 
Mark Basile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw zero lag. I believe I read that as the lamp breaks in, the picture gets better. It seems to be the case as black levels are improving.
Mark Basile is offline  
post #150 of 4432 Old 10-03-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Is the difference is sharpness due to the Sh*t smear feature on the panny?
conan48 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Projectors , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off