AVS Forum banner

OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector

573K views 5K replies 534 participants last post by  tolikboev 
#1 ·
Was told to start an OWNERS thread, so here it is. I've only put a few hours on it so far, but I'll cut and paste my first impressions from another thread:

Have had it on for about an hour now and I'm impressed!

3D is the best I have ever seen! There is absolutely NO CROSSTALK or GHOSTING visible. Even one of the best 3D titles I own (Despicable Me) had some ghosting visible on my other Panny plasmas (especially the title), not here. Of course poorly produced 3D will still look like crap, but the good ones will REALLY look great on this projector.

In my almost completely dark "man cave", I'm using the 'cinema 1' setting, eco lamp mode, and 'light' for the 3D glasses setting. I don't think that most people will find the 'normal' or 'dark' mode to be very pleasing, at least I don't.

Set up was relatively easy, especially if you've already owned a few Panasonics like I have (the 900 and 2000). I HATE the joystick lens shift adjustment, but it should only have to be set once, and as long as you don't change the positioning of the projector, you shouldn't need to touch it again. So far, everything else that's setup related has been a joy.

Those worried about the built in 3D emitter's range will be happy to hear that (at least with my setup: approx. 17' throw to a 120" Wilsonart Designer White screen) the 3D effect is not lost even when sitting 15' back from the screen. I have the built in emitter set to 'strong' and the lens shift cover off.

Of course these are only my very first impressions, so I'll have to really give it a workout later tonight. Will check out a lot more 3D (both Blu Ray and cable) as well as 2D.

BTW, mine was delivered by FED EXP (overnight service). It came from Memphis, TN.

See less See more
#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo /forum/post/21037836

Why is it that I can't find details on the mounting screw locations for the 7000? I'm trying to pick a monoprice mounting bracket that will work for the 7000, but also extend the projector down a ways..

does the 7000 have 4 screw holes, or just 3?

Well, if you had downloaded the CAD diagram from the Panny website you would have seen that there is 4 M4x9 mounting holes that look to be in similar locations as the 4000 except they are a bit more closer to the lens since its offset.

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy /forum/post/21037873

Well, if you had downloaded the CAD diagram from the Panny website you would have seen that there is 4 M4x9 mounting holes that look to be in similar locations as the 4000 except they are a bit more closer to the lens since its offset.

Thank you.. do you have a link handy for that? I hope it doesn't require a special CAD program to view it.

#181 ·
sure pictures mean nothing, but man does it suck to have zero images in 5 pages? one guy shows a fake dust blob, the other guy's comparison pic has been deleted by imageshack. anyone can start a thread saying "WOW THIS PJ ROX"

#182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J /forum/post/21034998

Well, I got myself a dud.

My 7000 showed up today from PP and I quickly unpacked it and put it up on my shelf that hangs from the ceiling. Fired her up and as I was adjusting the joystick and focus, it shut off. I turned her back on and continued adjusting the settings and she shut off again. Just like that. I would say it shut down within 5 minutes each time. So something is definitely wrong.

I contacted PP and they are going to call me in the morning to arrange a new one from Panny. While I would just like PP to swap it out with a new one, I don't know if they have any in stock to be able to do that. They probably have sold their initial allocation.

Very disappointing but I know this happens from time to time. Overall, I've been pretty fortunate with electronic purchases in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy /forum/post/21036832

Well we are in the same boat however my issue was a blue screen blob in the middle (see eariler post), they need to figure out if they will just replace it or have to repair it.

I asked for replacing over repair since it was new and then my delay started.... Also came from PP

PP took care of me. I'm sending the defective one back and they are sending me a brand new one. They charged my card again but will credit it back once it's in transit back to them. I had no problem with that.

#185 ·
#186 ·
so does this mean that If I'm using a chief mount that the holes will aline up the same as the 4000? with the given off set of the lens? as I have the 4000 lens center of the screen. I guess the question is will I have to move the whole thing over 5" to compensate for the off set of the lens or The hole off set to compensate for it? Did this sound right?

#187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by widerscreen /forum/post/21038412

so does this mean that If I'm using a chief mount that the holes will aline up the same as the 4000? with the given off set of the lens? as I have the 4000 lens center of the screen. I guess the question is will I have to move the whole thing over 5" to compensate for the off set of the lens or The hole off set to compensate for it? Did this sound right?

I have a Chief RPA for my 4000 and I posed that very question to Chief. They replied that the custom interface bracket for the 4000 will not work with the 7000. They will be working on a custom interface for the 7000 in the future.

In the meantime, their universal interface bracket should work (their SLBU).

To handle the lens offset, I purchased one of these:
Lateral Shift Bracket

Hope that helps.

#188 ·
Just got my 7000. Ceiling mounted tried out the picture without calibrating it and it blows away my old panny 900. Picture looks as crisp and bright as my samsung 46" hd LCD tv. Simply awesome.

One question how do you setup the lens to shift to change from 1.78 to 2.40 screen modes? Did not see it in the documentation.

Thanks

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo /forum/post/21034495

I have a conduit in the ceiling for where I had hoped to put a projector some 6 years ago when I was building out the room..

A bit off topic (sorry), but YOU are a smart man to have run that conduit. Kudos for thinking ahead.

We moved into a new house this fall with no conduit and 3 cheap RCA cables run to the projector. No HDMI. No Cat5.

For those that aren't aware, most (all !) DB players will NOT output 1080 on the component output. 1080 is only available on HDMI.

I'll be doing a lot of fishing and maybe some cutting and painting to fix my situation.

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randito3 /forum/post/21038494

Just got my 7000. Ceiling mounted tried out the picture without calibrating it and it blows away my old panny 900. Picture looks as crisp and bright as my samsung 46" hd LCD tv. Simply awesome.

One question how do you setup the lens to shift to change from 1.78 to 2.40 screen modes? Did not see it in the documentation.

Thanks

Page 71 of manual. "AUTO SWITCHING"

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymic /forum/post/21037591

Control AE7000 over RS-232 its the best way to change between the memory lens quickly.

How many people have or can route an RS 232 cable to their projector ? I don't have one, but I'd like one.

If you do run an RS232 cable to it, what can you control ? Can you effectively store and call up lens settings, ie do your own lens memory ?

Thanks !

#193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randito3 /forum/post/21038494

Glad to hear you like it.

I have a Samsung 55LNA750. What model is yours ? If I could get its picture in a 120" size...

What size are you projecting ? What screen are you using and what is your room like ?

#195 ·
Finally received my 7000 to replace my old 900.

Its quickly apparent that it is a vast improvement with only an hour of viewing and no adjustments to the out of the box settings yet.

I am having an issue where I am unable to control any of my IR equipment with my Harmony 1100 combined with an in wall IR sensor. The Panny remote still functions properly as expected. I currently have to use the Panny remote to turn off the IR emitter in order to control anything else. This is true in all WEAK, MEDIUM and STRONG emitter settings.

Is the Harmony 1100 known to be a weak IR emitter?

I haven't yet worked with individual component remotes to see if they are affected as well or if I need a better in wall sensor.

Suggestions welcomed.

#197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudII /forum/post/21038689

How many people have or can route an RS 232 cable to their projector ? I don't have one, but I'd like one.

If you do run an RS232 cable to it, what can you control ? Can you effectively store and call up lens settings, ie do your own lens memory ?

Thanks !

You don't run a cable. It is a small converter box that sits on the projector. Recieves IR and output RS232.

Look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1206105

#198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJock3315 /forum/post/21038969

Finally received my 7000 to replace my old 900.

Its quickly apparent that it is a vast improvement with only an hour of viewing and no adjustments to the out of the box settings yet.

I am having an issue where I am unable to control any of my IR equipment with my Harmony 1100 combined with an in wall IR sensor. The Panny remote still functions properly as expected. I currently have to use the Panny remote to turn off the IR emitter in order to control anything else. This is true in all WEAK, MEDIUM and STRONG emitter settings.

Is the Harmony 1100 known to be a weak IR emitter?

I haven't yet worked with individual component remotes to see if they are affected as well or if I need a better in wall sensor.

Suggestions welcomed.

That's an interesting problem I never thought about. How do you get other remotes to work when the 3D projectors are constantly blasting IR?

I assume this would apply with ANY 3D projector with IR signal sync.

#199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin /forum/post/21039110

That's an interesting problem I never thought about. How do you get other remotes to work when the 3D projectors are constantly blasting IR?

I assume this would apply with ANY 3D projector with IR signal sync.

Also this would make the little LED indictator light on my IR reciever/repeater blink all the time, not good. Come to think of it will it make the IR repeater go nuts trying to repeat the signal all the thime? LCD TV does that to the IR receiver up stairs also.

#201 ·
My projector showed up today!

ULTRA CRAPPY CELL PHONE PICTURE ALERT

That image is 136" diagonal. I have a Carada Brilliant White CinemaScope screen on the way. (Sample of the Carada Brilliant White on the right, Classic Cinema on the left).

The room needs lots of prep...but I have to do something while I wait for my screen

I sit about 11' back, I can see pixels at 6'. I am extremely picky, but after watching the content for 3 seconds, it looks amazing!

The first disc I tried was Transformers 3....and was disappointed. For some reason, the DVD was on the right side of the case...Yes, the first content I played was DVD...
It did feel a bit...off, Blu-Ray was much better though

I have 1 hour on the projector already on that wall...with no sound.

#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 /forum/post/21039048

Corrected. Any 2 megapixel camera can capture sharpness.

JVC RS10

Panasonic PT-AE7000

why do you put these on here with such difference in the shutter speed focal length and aperture ??? it makes no proof of witch is better...

This so not worthy sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.