AVS Forum banner

OWNERS Thread for the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D Projector

573K views 5K replies 534 participants last post by  tolikboev 
#1 ·
Was told to start an OWNERS thread, so here it is. I've only put a few hours on it so far, but I'll cut and paste my first impressions from another thread:

Have had it on for about an hour now and I'm impressed!

3D is the best I have ever seen! There is absolutely NO CROSSTALK or GHOSTING visible. Even one of the best 3D titles I own (Despicable Me) had some ghosting visible on my other Panny plasmas (especially the title), not here. Of course poorly produced 3D will still look like crap, but the good ones will REALLY look great on this projector.

In my almost completely dark "man cave", I'm using the 'cinema 1' setting, eco lamp mode, and 'light' for the 3D glasses setting. I don't think that most people will find the 'normal' or 'dark' mode to be very pleasing, at least I don't.

Set up was relatively easy, especially if you've already owned a few Panasonics like I have (the 900 and 2000). I HATE the joystick lens shift adjustment, but it should only have to be set once, and as long as you don't change the positioning of the projector, you shouldn't need to touch it again. So far, everything else that's setup related has been a joy.

Those worried about the built in 3D emitter's range will be happy to hear that (at least with my setup: approx. 17' throw to a 120" Wilsonart Designer White screen) the 3D effect is not lost even when sitting 15' back from the screen. I have the built in emitter set to 'strong' and the lens shift cover off.

Of course these are only my very first impressions, so I'll have to really give it a workout later tonight. Will check out a lot more 3D (both Blu Ray and cable) as well as 2D.

BTW, mine was delivered by FED EXP (overnight service). It came from Memphis, TN.

See less See more
#4 ·
Mine is ordered and I should have it mid-next week. Was wondering what folks are using for a ceiling mount? Looks like the "official" Panasonic mount is around $400!?

Also interested in what glasses people are buying? I bought the monstervision 3d glasses as I like the RF feature and not needing to worry about the IR transmitter or placement of it.

#15 ·
The 3D on this machine truly is incredible. Blacks look black and the image has a nice pop to it. I'm very happy and impressed with this machine.

I believe I saw that the external emitter will run about $200. I was worried I would need one, because my screen is only 0.8 gain but it's not an issue at all. The built in works just fine even at a distance of about 20 feet.

#16 ·
Have run mine for about 2 hours. Initial impressions:

1. Clarity is now plasma like for say sporting events where the 4000 always looked like film even for live video.

2. Major bump in black level performance especially in things like star fields.

3. Color is much more vibrant without being over saturated.

4. Returning to 16:9 from 2:35 is very quick but about the same going the other way.

5. Lens joystick adjustment is a backwards step from 4000.

I have not yet tried 3d.

#18 ·
No regrets yet!

Now have 8 hours on the lamp (2 from the first time yesterday afternoon, and 6 straight hours last night.) Blacks seem to be getting better as the hours pass. I wonder if there's a certain amount of time that must pass before the lamp settles down and the blacks start to improve. Has anyone else noticed this?

Colors really pop! Watched "CAMERAMAN" Jack Cardiff (Criterion Blu Ray) with no adjustments at all, just 'cinema 1' setting right out of the box. There are some sumptuous Technicolor sequences included in this fascinating and informative documentary. I'll have to put on "THE RED SHOES" Criterion Blu Ray tomorrow night and dazzle myself!

Watched some HD cable content which included some SBS 3D which looked O.K. But Blu Ray is where this projector really shines. I perused over some of my favorite chapters from my Japanese pressing of "PHANTOM OF THE OPERA" (2004) which has Dolby True HD and is an overall incredible transfer. Simply sublime!

Had to put on a few "AVATAR" chapters for a quick 3D "fix". I still can't get over how great 3D looks on this baby!

Getting late. Hope to read others opinions later today.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad /forum/post/21024083

I believe I saw that the external emitter will run about $200. I was worried I would need one, because my screen is only 0.8 gain but it's not an issue at all. The built in works just fine even at a distance of about 20 feet.

I have only seen them at $400+.

18 Feet is the claimed length. My room is 30 Ft. I'll give it a TRY without

the External emitter.

If I need one you can PM if the $200 price is real.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryad /forum/post/21024803

Google part number ET-TRM110. However a sales rep told me that the emitters wouldn't be available until October. Make sure you need it first.

Who gave you this info? The length is 15 meters (about 49 feet)

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...ttrm110_sf.pdf

My Post said 18 Feet.

That is from the MANUAL.

I used Froogle versus Google.

Google did find a better price - THANKS

I still won't order it until I NEED IT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.