Help me upgrade from a Sharp-xvz12000 mkII - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My best guess? It needed a new lens barrel at more than $1100 for the part. Zoom/focus ring seemingly out of whack..suspect damage to the inner zoom sled...somehow. Honestly it really didn't make sense on physical inspection, but there was no denying it simply could not be focused.

And yes, very hard to find. Like I said, kicking myself almost daily for the two different opportunities I let go back a year ago or so.

I tried to jump on the Newegg firesale of the BenQ W7000 (at that price why not), but I was exactly 17 minutes too slow in clicking the final purchase confirmation button, and they actually yanked it out of my cart when someone else bought the last one. Really annoyed...was going to enjoy that for the day off I took for Halo 4 (and election day...Red vs. Blue!)

Now I'm considering the Sharp XV-Z30000, but obviously going new is going to be at at least 2-3 times the price as what I already would have been happy with in a Sharp 20k, had it just arrived in working condition.

It's just not my month (my purchase of a Hsu VTF-15H sub also fell through on craigslist when the buyer just suddenly decided to keep it).

Some days it just not pay to go googling for HT equipment, let me tell you. rolleyes.gif

Each moment only once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Jack,

Is this your returned projector? http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/3343264885.html The ads been running a while, but it's new to me. The projected picture looks pretty good showing the menu, though the wall is very rough. Any chance something was wrong with the new install to throw the focus off? If not, perhaps shipping was a tad bumpy from his home to yours.

Cj
post #33 of 40 Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah that's the one. It was possible to crank the rings to the extreme of zoom and focus and get a kinda-sorta focus from exactly one throw distance...but you would not want to deal with that, especially since corner-to-corner focus uniformity was bad even in that case (focus one corner and the opposite would be blurry).

You don't want to deal with that unit, trust me...it's a parts horse at best.

Each moment only once.
post #34 of 40 Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the response. The owner offered to sell your returned unit to me for $500. Based on your comments, I passed on it and the original owner sold it to his "friend". Apparently, the projector showed no issues in a "big room".

Back to the question at hand. Yes, it is a challenge for me to upgrade from my MkII as well.

Cj
post #35 of 40 Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, you'd have to be in a big room, because for any screen size, you could only ever place the projector at maximum distance and get anything remotely like focus...and there you're losing lumens this projector doesn't really have to spare...and even then, you'd have to be only just using the projector like a toy and not caring about the image quality, because it would be poor...proper focus just isn't remotely achievable. I could only see a kid using this to play video games or something, if just "big" and "it shows up" was good enough as far as the picture thrown against the frat room basement wall.

It's been thoroughly abused past the point of use as a home theater machine in any reasonable sense of the word. I had my doubts when the thing was still firmly attached to the ceiling mount, and came without a box, remote, lens cap, or anything else. Even the power cord appears to be a (shorter) replacement of the originally supplied OEM one. The body of the unit had damage (a good puncture/crack in the bottom, a tiny corner area scratched off as if dragged on a sidewalk briefly, the plastic lens shift wheel was damaged and loose, part of it could be heard rattling inside the case) and minor cosmetic issues (a long scuff across the otherwise gloss finish of the top of the unit). I kind of wonder where the seller acquired this item to begin with. It just plain hasn't been cared for, which is inconceivable to me given the original MSRP of this thing. I can't believe how little people sometimes value their own things. It's almost as if someone just yanked it off a ceiling from somewhere or kind of trashed picked it from an office that was going to bin it. rolleyes.gif

My 12k looks like the day it came out of the box (which is still intact with all the stuff inside it)...and still throws an image I can't really find any justifiable way to upgrade.

More annoying is that my second OEM lamp blew the other night. It had been getting really, really dim at like 900 hours in. I thought I had just forgotten how really dim this projector is...and then it blew...and I replaced it with my "backup" OEM lamp that I had previously pulled at around 1150 hours. THAT lamp looks much better...plenty bright with the iris open for gaming...so my replacement lamp was kind a dud (a $500 dud). Grrr!

Each moment only once.
post #36 of 40 Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been pretty tempted to say to heck with it and just buy one of these out of a sheer I-need-to-tinker-with-technology itch (and a desire to play around with 3D and/or CIH):

BenQ W7000:
The price is amazing for what it is, it does 3D and would handle all the XBox gaming that I do really well (punchy and bright, DLP like I'm used to for smooth motion, and low input lag). I get the feeling I'd be disappointed when it was time for movies, though, especially the stuff I like best on projectors...space scenes with dark blacks and high contrast and that 3D-feeling depth and sharpness.

Sony VPL-HW50 (or maybe even the successor to the 95 that's just now rumored):
Seems a good all-arounder for nearly everything. Handles 3D, gaming (low lag), etc...but I don't have experience with SXRD and wonder if I'd be disappointed coming from a DLP. Specifically I know it's optics aren't on par with the Konica-Minolta lens on the Sharp, and I know DLPs are inherently sharp compared to the other technologies. Hmm. It's not at a fire-and-forget price, either, so I'd have to be convinced to go this way. Hmm.

Sharp XV-Z30000:
I know this isn't much of a 3D machine, but man it would be really easy to use the zoom memory lens to do a CIH setup with a 2.35:1 screen, which I'd love to do...and it's still DLP tech and got a pretty good write-up at projectorreviews. Apart from the motorized memory lens though...it seems to do everything ok, but nothing exceptionally well. Hmm again.

Each moment only once.
post #37 of 40 Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 AM

Hello everyone...I am intrigued by this thread as I too own this PJ & HP 106" screen (Costo 2007 purchase) and am conflicted on upgrade options. Just put a new OEM bulb in which buys me some more time but I'm finding lack of retailers that sell an OEM lamp. Anyhow, I have a JVC DLA-HD250 purchased from AVScience in 2010 just sitting in a box as backup (have yet to setup). Can anyone with experience with the JVC & Sharp comment on PQ comparison between the two?
post #38 of 40 Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a JVC DLA-HD250 purchased from AVScience in 2010 just sitting in a box as backup (have yet to setup). Can anyone with experience with the JVC & Sharp comment on PQ comparison between the two?

Dude...you own both of them...plug in the JVC and look at the picture. I'm not sure how much better a comparison you're going to get!

Or are you talking about some other JVC?

Each moment only once.
post #39 of 40 Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So almost five months later, I've secured another Sharp XV-Z20000.

I let one go by that looked a bit shady and was priced too high for the condition.

Came across another one that started with a reasonable minimum bid, but had one bad HDMI input and a very used-up lamp at the end of it's life. Another buyer drove the price considerably up from what I thought was really the value, but oh well...I wanted to end this hunt already and this seller has the original box and can, hopefully, ship it to me in as-described condition.

Now I just have potentially to deal with finding the latest firmware and a replacement lamp. I'd really love to check a service manual to see if repairing the one HDMI input would be anything worth trying. Anyone have a service manual? Anyone have the latest firmware?

I'll report back if I get this thing installed and functioning well enough that I pack up my pristine XV-Z12000 MkII for sale.

Still kills me the condition I find these awesome older projectors in compared to how I've kept my own. I don't even try hard...it's in an unfinished basement on a bookcase...it's nothing fancy...and still everything is in like-new condition...even the remote...even the box. These things might be "old," but they're wonderfully built originally-to-the-tune-of-thousands pieces of hardware still every bit as capable of a beautiful picture! <\End rant>

Each moment only once.
post #40 of 40 Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM

Hi Jack,

Congratulations on your new purchase. I really wanted to bid on your unit, but glad you got it instead, as I know you've been looking for some time. Please let us know how you like it, especially since we both have the MKII.

Regarding the price you paid, if it only requires a new lamp and works well, I think you got a very good deal.

Craig

manual here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sharp%20xv-z20000%20service%20manual&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CD4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myprojectorlamps.com%2Fmanuals%2Fdownload_manual.php%3Ffile_name%3DSHARP%2FSHARP%2520DT-5000.pdf&ei=4yhTUZDCG-GkyQGu4ICYDg&usg=AFQjCNFEDPfzVG4NNJq2VGi7bKVKkI7AkQ&bvm=bv.44342787,d.aWc
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7800d Projector Full Hd 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page