post #151 of 162 Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

What? I have heard nothing of this Viewsonic. Info please.

not much more ,there is a optoma also and a beast pj that is 4000 lumens laser/led(not casio)
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...x-BIdVuk1DUAHQ

funny thing is chinese coverage of ces in las vegas

(fifth element)

post #152 of 162 Old 02-04-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
"Beauty and the Beast" or "BIG Pappa and Sonny" ?
I thought you guys would get off on this size comparison between my temporary/back-up projector, the LG HX300G, and my new beast, the Runco Q750D...
LL
LL
post #153 of 162 Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I see you have a remote control problem like me

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #154 of 162 Old 02-05-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey David,
....Yeah, i do seem to have a problem with too many remote controls, but on the other hand i'm one of those guys who appreciates dedicated remote controls and don't mind at all selecting which remote control(s) to use depending on the A/V task at hand; It gets to the point that when i decide to watch a blue-ray movie i'll pull out three remotes : one to operate the BD player, another to control volume/etc on A/V processor AND the projector's remote control just in case i decide to adjust color/contrast/brightness on the fly.
Sometimes when i'm in the midst of all this A/V obssession i wonder if i suffer from a combination of "audiotitis/videotitis", that deadly and incurable illness...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #155 of 162 Old 02-05-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Why the heck don't you get a universal?

Noah
post #156 of 162 Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Why the heck don't you get a universal?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Because when it comes to universal remote controls i wonder how truly "universal" they are.
For example, to access some functions of my Runco pj from its remote control it requires that a password be entered every time the pj is turned ON and i wonder whether or not an universal control would accept and blast command signals involving passwords with numbers+letters.
Or, what if i decided, in a spur of the moment, to increase the CMS "red gain" function that is available in my A/V processor that requires going through several layers of the set-up menu to finally arrive at the "red gain" up/down control bar; Would an universal remote allow me to do that ?
Are universal remote controls capable of being programmed to perform the complete set of functions - in its entirety - that is available to the owner when he uses the original remote control shipped with the unit ?
Would i be able to program an universal remote control to perform the entirety of all functions available in my 17 remote controls ?...I wonder...
post #157 of 162 Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Because when it comes to universal remote controls i wonder how truly "universal" they are.
For example, to access some functions of my Runco pj from its remote control it requires that a password be entered every time the pj is turned ON and i wonder whether or not an universal control would accept and blast command signals involving passwords with numbers+letters.
Or, what if i decided, in a spur of the moment, to increase the CMS "red gain" function that is available in my A/V processor that requires going through several layers of the set-up menu to finally arrive at the "red gain" up/down control bar; Would an universal remote allow me to do that ?
Are universal remote controls capable of being programmed to perform the complete set of functions - in its entirety - that is available to the owner when he uses the original remote control shipped with the unit ?
Would i be able to program an universal remote control to perform the entirety of all functions available in my 17 remote controls ?...I wonder...

Sure, you can do all that, a good universal remote can do everything your stock remotes can, and on top of that they can automate lots of commonly performed operations (like power on sequences, source selection, etc) to make your system easier to use.

I've got a URC MX880 (+MRF350 RF base station) running my system, and I can do everything you describe there. For my commonly used functions I created "activities" with macros to automatically start up the system/devices (if they aren't already on) and select all the appropriate inputs. So, for example, when I select "Watch Blu-ray", it will power up my Planar 8150, my AVM50V, and my Pioneer 51FD, select all the appropriate inputs, and default the aspect ratios (in case some other input messed with them).

But I also have all of the original functionality of the original remotes programmed into additional "devices" so if I want to do something "unusual" I can.

Like if I want to change the surround mode on my AVM50V, I go to the AVM50V device, hit the mode button and do my adjustment. If I want to tweak it's video processor settings I go to the AVM50V device and hold down the info key for the 3 seconds or so it takes to get into the video processor menu.

A good universal remote will do everything you can with separate remotes, and on top of that help you automate your system so instead of needing to grab 3 remotes, and pressing a lot of buttons to watch a Blu-ray, you just press one button and it does all that for you. Now you may not be able to setup a macro to do everything (or heck, maybe you can) but IMO that's not the right strategy for programming a universal remote. The macros are there to make common tasks easier/seamless, not to automate stuff you only do once or twice a month/year/system/device.

FWIW, for a long time I didn't have a universal remote, I tried lots of inexpensive "universal" remotes, and even a Harmony and could never find one I liked, I always found them limiting in some way, and liked the original remotes better. But that all changed when I bought my MX880, it wasn't cheap, but it was one of the best investments I've made in my HT and I honestly love it.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #158 of 162 Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't bother trying to program everything from the original remote; I don't mind picking up the original once in awhile for occasional things.

I also have a URC and RF base station, and I like not having to aim the remote as much as not having to fumble for multiple ones.

Noah
post #159 of 162 Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

I don't bother trying to program everything from the original remote;

Generally it's not a "bother" as all the codes are already in the database, you just pick the device and it's automatically laid out on the remote with all the codes there.

Quote:

I don't mind picking up the original once in awhile for occasional things.

I used to think that, but that's one of the reasons it took me so long to get a universal remote. I found little more annoying than, after putting all your specific remotes away (mine are all in my equipment rack on the other side of the basement/HT) only to find that in the middle of something you have to go find a special remote to do something.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #160 of 162 Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Generally it's not a "bother" as all the codes are already in the database, you just pick the device and it's automatically laid out on the remote with all the codes there.

Then you've had a lot better luck with that then I; usually only a few of the functions of a device work for me.

Noah
post #161 of 162 Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The picture characteristic I value most is that visual presence, in which the image seems as if looking through a window into a space with real depth, not referring here to actual 3D technology as it is now, but just a natural sense of dimension that engages viewing; current 3D to me seems too artificial, too forced, as if all objects in the frame are cut-out images on one of a few flat planes from foreground to back ground, with no continuous spacial dimension. I greatly enjoy my LG PA70G LED DLP projector on a 120" widescreen in a totally light-controlled room, which currently best gives me that immersive deep-dimensional experience of projected cinema.
post #162 of 162 Old 08-05-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKnox View Post
...current 3D to me seems too artificial, too forced, as if all objects in the frame are cut-out images on one of a few flat planes from foreground to back ground, with no continuous spacial dimension.
That's exactly my experience; to me 3D looks less real than good 2D.
Craig Peer likes this.

Noah
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page