BenQ w7000 - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 14  15  16 17 
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > BenQ w7000
michaelscott73's Avatar michaelscott73 06:58 PM 12-21-2011
Will xpand 102's work with this projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar WynsWrld98 07:24 PM 12-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Aims View Post


I will tell you what I think of the W7000 tomorrow. I'm coming from a Sanyo Z-5 so my standards may be lower than most.

No way! I have a Z5 too, small world! Best projector I have owned, rock solid zero problems for 5 years paid $1400 how many other projectors can make that claim???

When people post reviews please include screen size, aspect, gain and if CIH setup. Also please report if Frame Interpolation and/or Dynamic Iris available in 3D.
Mikes2cents's Avatar Mikes2cents 07:58 PM 12-21-2011
Hey smart guys here. I almost bought this thing today but I have some math/figuring to do with regard to the lens shift feature. I currently have an 8350 and the lens shift is awesome but no 3D. I want to put the W7K on a shelf on the back wall like the 8350 but the lens shift numbers are tripping me up. Can some smart fella look at page 16 of the owner's manual and tell me what the plus and minus numbers mean in the vertical lens shift portion. It shows plus minus 25% on the left edge. I would assume this means at max horizontal shift the vertical shift is limited to 25% but not sure. From there I can do the math. Curiously there is no corresponding number for horizontal shift if vertical shift is used, at least not in that illustration. If I were to guess I would say 25% as well because we are basically dealing with a circle but guessing sucks and the screen is wider than it is tall. Bet if I did the math the shift is going to come out the same vertically and horizontally because of that circle thing I talked about. Just need to express the shift in terms if units other than screen height/width %. Thanks for any help or experience with this and look forward to the reviews which are glacial in progress at best.
3Aims's Avatar 3Aims 08:02 PM 12-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

No way! I have a Z5 too, small world! Best projector I have owned, rock solid zero problems for 5 years paid $1400 how many other projectors can make that claim???

When people post reviews please include screen size, aspect, gain and if CIH setup. Also please report if Frame Interpolation and/or Dynamic Iris available in 3D.

Ha! I bought mine Oct 2006 for the same price and have tried numerous projectors to replace it and always fell back to my trusty 3LCD Sanyo Z-5. Even after 3,000 hours, it still has a great picture. Not one single problem with it, but the bulb is done and it's time to move on. It will get moved outside if the W7000 works.

My only worry with the W7000 is the fan noise. I'm not an "inky black" type, just want a sharp picture with pop. I will be low lamp mode given my 15 foot throw, but I am a bit worried about 28 db versus current 22 db.

I have a 112" Carada BW screen BTW.

I have the tracking and the projector will be here tomorrow at noon.
dangc's Avatar dangc 09:38 PM 12-21-2011
Hi all,

I am also watching this projector closely with high hopes.

The one thing I am a bit baffled by is that BenQ has decided to reduce the "rated" lumens on this project vs. the 6000, yet the 7000 has a 300w VIDI bulb vs 280w VIDI bulb on the 6000? If you look at the projector it sure looks very close to the same but we don't know.....Maybe they went from DC2 to DC3 and that accounts for the reduced lumens? But it is still rated at 50000 to 1 CR so what gives? I honestly think BenQ realized the W6000 was over rated and they wanted to be more conservative with the W7000 in terms of lumens rating. I would then expect that the W7000 will be a little brighter on average than the W6000.

If this is anything close to the level of brightness that the Epson has in 3D I will likely have to pick one up.
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 09:52 PM 12-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post

Hi all,

I am also watching this projector closely with high hopes.

The one thing I am a bit baffled by is that BenQ has decided to reduce the "rated" lumens on this project vs. the 6000, yet the 7000 has a 300w VIDI bulb vs 280w VIDI bulb on the 6000? If you look at the projector it sure looks very close to the same but we don't know.....Maybe they went from DC2 to DC3 and that accounts for the reduced lumens? But it is still rated at 50000 to 1 CR so what gives? I honestly think BenQ realized the W6000 was over rated and they wanted to be more conservative with the W7000 in terms of lumens rating. I would then expect that the W7000 will be a little brighter on average than the W6000.

If this is anything close to the level of brightness that the Epson has in 3D I will likely have to pick one up.

It could be a contrast thing. Perhaps they felt a little fewer lumens would help black levels. We should know soon. I really liked the W6000, and it sure looks like the W7000 is a worthy contender. Would have liked to see the price closer to $2K vs $2500. It is within a few hundred of the RS45...
dangc's Avatar dangc 11:21 PM 12-21-2011
Was just reading through the manual on this thing and found this:

When the 3D Mode function is enabled:
The brightness level of the projected image will decrease.
The Preset Mode cannot be adjusted.

This so far seems typical of DLP and 3D, why is that? What I mean by this is, reduced brightness and no way of selecting say Dynamic to boost brightness and then make a few color adjustments to make acceptable color balance with a brighter 3D mode like you are able to do with the Epson or the Panasonic LCD machines. If I can't get a nice bright 3D image from this projector I have no need for it as I have an Infocus SP8602 now.

I think I may just give up on the idea of having one projector that can satisfy my 2D requirements as well as provide for my 3D desires. I think I will have to really consider a two projector approach to the problem.
WynsWrld98's Avatar WynsWrld98 11:28 PM 12-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post

Was just reading through the manual on this thing and found this:

When the 3D Mode function is enabled:
The brightness level of the projected image will decrease.
The Preset Mode cannot be adjusted.

This so far seems typical of DLP and 3D, why is that? What I mean by this is, reduced brightness and no way of selecting say Dynamic to boost brightness and then make a few color adjustments to make acceptable color balance with a brighter 3D mode like you are able to do with the Epson or the Panasonic LCD machines. If I can't get a nice bright 3D image from this projector I have no need for it as I have an Infocus SP8602 now.

I think I may just give up on the idea of having one projector that can satisfy my 2D requirements as well as provide for my 3D desires. I think I will have to really consider a two projector approach to the problem.

I went through the manual and missed that part. The first bullet perhaps is stating the obvious that with glasses on the projector won't be as bright. But the second bullet I find really disturbing. Why not give the viewer a choice of what they want to do??
ack_bk's Avatar ack_bk 12:10 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post


I went through the manual and missed that part. The first bullet perhaps is stating the obvious that with glasses on the projector won't be as bright. But the second bullet I find really disturbing. Why not give the viewer a choice of what they want to do??

My Acer 9500 does the same thing. It puts the projector in a locked in mode between best mode and dynamic for 3D. No option to choose dynamic. Which sucks when you know the projector is capable of pumping out another 300-400 lumens or so.
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 06:35 AM 12-22-2011
Art at projector reviews "first look" of the Benq 7000

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...t-look-review/
michaelscott73's Avatar michaelscott73 07:26 AM 12-22-2011
mmmm.....well that's a bit disappointing
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 07:47 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

mmmm.....well that's a bit disappointing

i'm curious why they are using an engineering sample vs. a production model since they are shipping this week.

there was also no discussion on ghosting (or lack thereof) which is the key benefit of 1080P 3D DLP.

if mine shows up today, i'll be doing some comparisons tonight to my HW30 and hopefully an RS45 by the weekend.
WTS's Avatar WTS 07:52 AM 12-22-2011
THe thing I want to know about is the black level comparisons to the HW30 and Rs45.
michaelscott73's Avatar michaelscott73 08:01 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

i'm curious why they are using an engineering sample vs. a production model since they are shipping this week.

there was also no discussion on ghosting (or lack thereof) which is the key benefit of 1080P 3D DLP.

if mine shows up today, i'll be doing some comparisons tonight to my HW30 and hopefully an RS45 by the weekend.

Yes, strange...Art supposedly got his last Wednesday...retailers received theirs only 5 days later...do manufacturers perform that much tweaking in 5 days before a release?
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 08:04 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

THe thing I want to know about is the black level comparisons to the HW30 and Rs45.

I should be seeing RS45 and HW30 together on Sunday and will do some 2D and 3D comparisons.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 08:06 AM 12-22-2011
The reviewer units are usually pre-production because the MFR starts sending out reviewer units way ahead of time (I doubt Art is the first to get the unit in his hands, but he might be).

Just corporate red tape, the reviewer units are shared by multiple reviewers, sometimes you have to get on a waiting list. Most likely that specific reviewer unit was a month or two old already.
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 08:09 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

Yes, strange...Art supposedly got his last Wednesday...retailers received theirs only 5 days later...do manufacturers perform that much tweaking in 5 days before a release?

maybe it's a media floater than been around since Cedia?

this projector sounds bright with most modes over 1000 and 1500 on the torch setting. It could benefit from an ND filter or perhaps BenQ tightened up the iris.

Regarding black levels - we can't expect miracles, even the highly regarded (and semi-expensive) Infocus 8602 doesn't compare to the JVC. I expect the W7000 will be great for sports, ambient light viewing and completely ghost-free 3D which could be worth the entry price alone for those who dread seeing ghosting in 3D movies.
Joesyah's Avatar Joesyah 08:11 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

THe thing I want to know about is the black level comparisons to the HW30 and Rs45.

From what's been said so far.Black levels and contrast should be similar to the w6000, maybe not quite as good. Using a brighter lamp with the same Dark-chip, I wouldn't expect an improvement there.

They(black levels) won't compare to the HW30 or the RS45 in that regard from my experience with the w6000.

As Jason states, the Infocus 8602 is considerably better than the w6000 at contrast and black levels. It still can't match the RS45 on the dark scenes.
WTS's Avatar WTS 08:16 AM 12-22-2011
I guess we'll wait and see what zombie comes out with his comparisons.
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 08:21 AM 12-22-2011
one of the key new benefits is the faster color wheel. For folks like myself who are RBE sensitive, I am looking forward to seeing how well this works, especially in 3D.

If Mark @ AVS and I get together this weekend, I'm also going to see a Tom Huffman calibrated RS45 as well, so we'll have the HW30/RS45/BQ W7000 together for some comparisons.

I have my HiMedia 900B w/ 12TB of storage on standby. Random access to over 100+ 2D and 3D BD titles.
Joesyah's Avatar Joesyah 08:23 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

one of the key new benefits is the faster color wheel. For folks like myself who are RBE sensitive, I am looking forward to seeing how well this works, especially in 3D.

If Mark @ AVS and I get together this weekend, I'm also going to see a Tom Huffman calibrated RS45 as well, so we'll have the HW30/RS45/BQ W7000 together for some comparisons.

I have my HiMedia 900B w/ 12TB of storage on standby. Random access to over 100+ 2D and 3D BD titles.

Sswweeeettt!!! Look forward to the comparisons!
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 08:41 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

one of the key new benefits is the faster color wheel. For folks like myself who are RBE sensitive, I am looking forward to seeing how well this works, especially in 3D.

Same here, I'm real RBE sensitive. I had to buy a DLP with worse black levels just to get rid of some of the RBE

6x CW speed should be much better.
jmalto's Avatar jmalto 09:05 AM 12-22-2011
UPS sure is taking their sweet time this morning.. Is it bad I am more excited about this projector than the RS45 I have sitting in my theater room right now boxed up?

My wife is going to kill me if I keep both of these.. I think I've decided to return the 3D kit and the glasses for the JVC since they are unopened and just use it as a 2D projector.
michaelscott73's Avatar michaelscott73 09:19 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

UPS sure is taking their sweet time this morning.. Is it bad I am more excited about this projector than the RS45 I have sitting in my theater room right now boxed up?

My wife is going to kill me if I keep both of these.. I think I've decided to return the 3D kit and the glasses for the JVC since they are unopened and just use it as a 2D projector.

After reading Arts impressions I am rethinking this...so I am probably just as anxious as you in that I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I was really hoping he was going to be just as impressed as he was with the 5010. Maybe we just have to wait and see his final thoughts. Taking the bugs out of the equation it doesn't sound like he was overly impressed.
trgraphics's Avatar trgraphics 09:21 AM 12-22-2011
I orderd from PP but they did not have the Benq glasses in yet. I hope the dlp glass with the 3d-XL will work until I can get a few pair of glasses. Art didn't mention which glasses he used in the review. I assume they are the benq glasses. Hopefully someone that gets their unit today will chime on on which glasses will work with this unit.
ondaedg's Avatar ondaedg 09:55 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

how wide is the room / seating arrangement? I found the viewing angle was much better on the 2.4 material than the 2.8 with a recent install I just did.

It's actually going in my family room which is about 20ft wide. The 2.4 material has decent viewing angles? I may have to look into that. Can you point me to a linky where I can read up on it? If it's as bright as Art seems to think it is, perhaps a lower gain screen would be sufficient. Any other suggestions?
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 09:59 AM 12-22-2011
the eagle has landed, AVS is awesome.

These are pretty nice, I'll have to see how they fit compared to the Xpand 103's, Sony's, Nvidia glasses and the MV3D's.

I can't wait to check this out tonight. I'll have plenty of first impressions once I get it setup.


jmalto's Avatar jmalto 10:00 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

After reading Arts impressions I am rethinking this...so I am probably just as anxious as you in that I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I was really hoping he was going to be just as impressed as he was with the 5010. Maybe we just have to wait and see his final thoughts. Taking the bugs out of the equation it doesn't sound like he was overly impressed.

I have 0 doubt the 5010 is the better of the two units for 2D, where the 5010falls on its face is the input lag. If Epson could fix this I would of definitely picked up the 5010 for what I will be using the W7000 for as I really enjoyed the 3010 when I had it.

Also interesting Art got a pre-prod model when the unit is shipping now? I will check the firmware right off the bat to see if it is newer than what he has.
jmalto's Avatar jmalto 10:03 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

the eagle has landed, AVS is awesome.

These are pretty nice, I'll have to see how they fit compared to the Xpand 103's, Sony's, Nvidia glasses and the MV3D's.

I can't wait to check this out tonight. I'll have plenty of first impressions once I get it setup.


Get the official owners thread going, I am too lazy to start it and will post my impressions as soon as I get it set up today.
dangc's Avatar dangc 11:38 AM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

I have 0 doubt the 5010 is the better of the two units for 2D, where the 5010falls on its face is the input lag. If Epson could fix this I would of definitely picked up the 5010 for what I will be using the W7000 for as I really enjoyed the 3010 when I had it.

Also interesting Art got a pre-prod model when the unit is shipping now? I will check the firmware right off the bat to see if it is newer than what he has.

And why do you have "0" doubt the 5010 is better in 2D? I certainly have a lot of doubt....there is more to picture quality than black level. With that said, I really wanted to consider the epson and it may have a better 2D picture than the W7000 but I do have doubts. My problem with the 5010 is not enough lumens in best mode where I will do all my 2D viewing.

Anyway, all you new 3D fans out there looking to DLP to satisfy your lack of ghosting etc. need to understand and accept that a DLP will likely never beat LCOS and at the present is not even in the same league when it comes to black level. The Epson 5010 while still not as good as the JVCs are still very good at lowering the black levels due to their aggressive iris and again is going to be much lower than any low end DLP at blacks. Black level freaks need not consider DLP you need to go back to JVC. If you want great black levels and great 3D, it is time to figure out how you will use 2 projectors.

What DLP does tend to offer is a brighter calibrated best mode (Art is getting over 1000 lumens vs. 630 lumens on the Epson and unknown on the RS45). I would venture that Art will measure at most 800 lumens once calibrated on the RS45. Remember that everyone measures differently or has different meters, environment, etc. For instance projector central reported over 800 lumens on Cinema mode for the 5010, but I don't think they do as much calibrating or they simply measure the center of the screen...not really sure why such a discrepancy here. I know that projector central as of late tends to measure higher lumens than Art from projector reviews.

DLP also tends to have a perceptibly sharper image due to single chip and no convergence issues.

And last they tend to have a higher inter scene or ANSI contrast level.

And all that leads to that DLP "Pop" people talk about.

I personally have had DLP, LCD, and JVC in my theater and so far I tend to keep DLPs simply because they are able to produce a more pleasing image on my 165" screen. But if I had a more normal 100-120" screen I would use a JVC RS45 for 2D. Still not sure about 3D, but would likely consider two projectors, in fact this is my thought now, but the logistics of that are causing me to think on it longer.

Anyway, I just figured anyone asking to compare the black level of JVCs or the Epson 5010 to a DLP was likely new to DLP and thought I would put out some information for you to ponder.
Tags: Benq W7000 Home Projection System
First ... 14  15  16 17 

Up
Mobile  Desktop