BenQ w7000 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 499 Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
When I bring my demo W7000 to Zombie's for a testing and review I will be sure to bring a fire extinguisher and some sun tan lotion.

The real issue is not the specs but calibrated lumens and lumens in 3D mode (which is really never calibrated if one wants really bright 3D with a normal screen). With Zobie's 28 gain HP, whoops sorry, his is only 2.8 gain, calibrated 3D would provide plenty of light too. I need a 3D projector that can be table mounted and it looks to me that I will be keeping the W7000 for just 3D viewing. Still no pricing yet but if I had to guess it will be about the same as what's been reported in Canada. But even if I didn't work for AVS, I'd still buy mine from a US dealer regardless of any small pricing difference. Its a question of getting service from USA BenQ and not having to import and pay duties. I would want to support a US dealer especially one who provides good advice and is always there with help and knowledge. As a hobbyist too, I know of none better than AVS and I would buy from them even if I didn't work there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 499 Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I don't understand why the W7000, the 3D projector, has less lumens than the W6000 that is a 2D projector. Seems backwards, and with 3D, you need all the lumens you can get, especially when the bulb starts to dim.

The w6000 never really got anywhere near 2500 lumens from the reports I saw, around 1800 to maybe 2000. However, at anything above 1400-1600 the green push was severe and unless you liked watching green martians, it wasn't much use at that brightness.

So I'm actually assuming they probably are just telling it more like it is this time. Plus I'm going to assume for now that the w7000 might have better OTB settings and brighter best modes, but no way to know for a while.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #183 of 499 Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

When I bring my demo W7000 to Zombie's for a testing and review I will be sure to bring a fire extinguisher and some sun tan lotion.

Yes, we are going to be roasting the HP with lots o' lumens!! The 300 watt lamp should crank out some power.

with the HW30 on the 142" 2.8HP and the projector mounted 6" above eye level, there are scenes where I will squint for a second or two from the light (through the glasses). I haven't measured the 3D lumens, but it seems similar to the Acer 5360 3D DLP which I measured @ 800 in 3D mode x 2.8 is about 2000+

i'd love to see the W7000 break 1000 with some reasonably accurate color in 3D mode.
post #184 of 499 Old 12-01-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 87
At that price we'll have to move this over to the under $3,000 section. I'm very tempted.
post #185 of 499 Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

It also has a CMS which is great at this price point. I can't wait to see this projector in person, by all accounts it's going to stomp on the best of the LCOS/LCD projectors in 3D and eat them for lunch with SBS and 3D gaming.

killer lens shift for HP owners is the pudding.

What is the price point? I cannot figure this one out. This looks like a good unit that does not require proprietary glasses like the Mitsu. Also says you can calibrate 3d. Wow.
post #186 of 499 Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was reading the specs and shows a disappointing 2000 hour lamp life in normal mode (only 2500 hours in eco mode), I hope this isn't like some other manufacturers that rate the lamp life with it having NO lumens at the stated hours meaning you need to replace the lamp well before that. I'm also curious what the lamps will cost.

Other questions I don't see mentioned in the marketing materials -- Dynamic Iris and/or Frame Interpolation available in 3D?

Adding an extended warranty (due to short 1 year warranty) and cost of 3D glasses are other things to consider. So this projector will allow use of glasses such as Monster's 3D glasses that people on this forum seem to really like??
post #187 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Should we expect better picture quality from this unit in regular 2d against the Panasonic AE7000 based on the W6000 performance, and if not, what would be its strongest and weakest points?

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #188 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 06:10 AM

I don't know why any shutter glass projector that uses either an IR or RF emitter would require proprietary glasses. An LCD or reflective LCD shutter glass projector, in the lmited cases where the three overlapping beams of polarized light emitted from the projector are lined up in the same direction (as they are in the JVCs but not the Sony's) there is merit in selecting glasses where the fixed polarizers in a pair of glasses are aligned in the same direction as the light emitted from the projector. The benefit of same, increased brightness, however would depend on how high the polarization extinction ratio of the screen is, the higher the better. But even then proprietary glasses wouldn't be required. Of course maybe I don't get something? But to me I prefer RF glasses, and see no proproblem or difficulty in hooking up any projector with an electrical emitter port regardless of the port type (whether normaly intended for an IR emitter or a RF emitte)r, to an RF emitter such as an Optoma or Monster.

As to bulb life, in high mode (the other mode regardless of what its called vs the low lamp or eco mode regardless of what its called) 2000 hours is the normally listed lamp life reflecting someone's judgement as to lamp brightness deterioration. Many run their lamps longer not knowing how much they have dimmed because their eyes have adjusted. Once a new bulb is installed, the universal comment is Wow, I didn't realize how much my machine had dimmed.

People say, I run for so many hopurs and I am so happy, so why don't you. In reality, in high mode, one would benefit noticeably replacing the lamp before 2000 hours (perhaps around 1200 to 1500 hours) but this is subjective. And you don't have to replace, its just an optimazation of brightness thing.

All things being equal, the higher the wattage bulb, the more heat it will generate and the less life it might have, subject to how well it is cooled by the projector. But there are reasons why we don't see higher wattage bulbs than the various bulbs that HT projectors in the say under $10K class use. They just can't handle more heat.

Ah. Its only a moron like me giving you bulb advice. Thje specs for MY projector say I will get 3000 hours on average on high and yours say only 2000 hours. They are both probably bull because the only think that counts is how bright you want it to be from initial turn on (0 hrs) at the time (x hours) you are watching. Certainly not the projector manufacturer's judgement for you. I have know people to run for 5000 hours, dim but they don't notice or care. Me. Every bulb projector at about 1800 hours but I have so many projectors normally, I never reach that hour point. Most projectors are demoes and I only have them for a few months at best. And yes, I have had projectors (No, I am not talking a JVC here), where I needed to replace the bulb every 500 hours. The problem there was a bad bulb design that was fixed in the next generation of that manufacturer's projector. Bulb was relatively cheap anyway.

Some people believe every spec they read. It just isn't so. Its not lying, its just using unrealistic conditions for measurement. Brightness at the highest possible color temperature, bulb life at what percentage of original bulb brightness. Give me brightnes at d65 please and bulb life to half brightness and thank you for being more realistic this year though it might cost you some sales.

The marketing game is about about brighter and higher on off and how a company measures those numbers is not in the specs. You gotta remember that. Bulb life is less of a marketing factor, but is still important to more than a few and once again how the life spec is measured is usually not specified.

Now if you want to discuss what I think is better, the Panny or the Benq W7000, you will have to call, given that I have not yet viewed a W7000 and I have viewed the Panny. You can read the Panny thread.

Hope this help sort things out a bit for you.
post #189 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

looker closer, I don't think there is going to be a way to use any other glasses other then the BenQ DLP link glasses.

from their website:

The W7000 is the first projector in the world to be accredited with the TUV Rheinland 3D Full HD Certification. Designed to offer the best 3D cinema experience at home, the projector is powered by DLP Link™ to delivers ultra-smooth 1080p Full HD images to both eyes – crosstalk free. You also won’t have to wear 3D glasses that come with an additional emitter, which makes home theater enjoyment much simpler. The W7000 is compatible with the latest HDMI standard – Ver. 1.4a, which means it is able to play 3D movies from a Blu-ray DVD player, live sports via cable or satellite and 3D video games on PS3 directly without additional setup.

The gallery doesn't show any signs of a 3D 3 pin VESA port.

http://www.benq.com/product/projector/w7000/gallery

The '3D certification' is interesting:

http://www.tuv.com/en/greater_china/...cnen_54848.jsp

Products that pass TÜV Rheinland’s 3D monitor testing will receive a “3D tested” mark that confirms the monitor complies with all contrast, color, flicker, crosstalk, and other specifications, ensuring that users can comfortably enjoy 3D content and not confront problems with unstable images, interference shadow, unbalanced colors, and brightness uniformity.
post #190 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Oh no........is that a joystick lens shift I see? I should not complain since it is great to have lens shift period, but I hate joystick lens shift. This will be a bit of a pain for the CIH zoomers out there.

Do we know if FI will be available for 3d?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #191 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Oh no........is that a joystick lens shift I see? I should not complain since it is great to have lens shift period, but I hate joystick lens shift. This will be a bit of a pain for the CIH zoomers out there.

Do we know if FI will be available for 3d?

For the price I don't think FI is a huge issue since DLP has pretty good motion by itself. However, does it use a DI and is it active in 3D mode is an important question I'd like answered. Having lens sift on a DLP at this price is a huge revelation for most here. DLP rules 3D so if this is important to you this projector has to be of some interest.
post #192 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

However, does it use a DI and is it active in 3D mode is an important question I'd like answered. Having lens sift on a DLP at this price is a huge revelation for most here. DLP rules 3D so if this is important to you this projector has to be of some interest.

I would like to know the answer to that question as well. You are right......I should not bitch about the joystick lens shift since it is a blessing we have this type of lens shift on a DLP at all! I am VERY interested in this unit and it is sounding like a winner so far, especially for the HP users.

post #193 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like to know the answer to that question as well. You are right......I should not bitch about the joystick lens shift since it is a blessing we have this type of lens shift on a DLP at all! I am VERY interested in this unit and it is sounding like a winner so far, especially for the HP users.

do you have to change the lens shift and the zoom with the CIH setup? I thought once the lens shift was set, all you'd have to do is zoom in/out
post #194 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

do you have to change the lens shift and the zoom with the CIH setup? I thought once the lens shift was set, all you'd have to do is zoom in/out

With the RS1 and RS40, once you zoom in/out, the shift is out of alignment and you have to readjust it (at least in my setup), so I assume it will be the same with other projectors. Focus drifts a little as well sometimes when zooming in/out.

With my Oppo 93, it has a "shrink" method called 1/2x zoom that will shrink down your 2.35 setting to fit onto the 1.78 size which I could use for the non Java discs which means I would not have to mess with the lens at all. All in all I am not real worried about it since I would mainly use this as a 3d unit which would cut down on manual zooming. It would be a bit of a hassle, but for ghost free 3d I think it would be well worth it

post #195 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the RS1 and RS40, once you zoom in/out, the shift is out of alignment and you have to readjust it (at least in my setup), so I assume it will be the same with other projectors. Focus drifts a little as well sometimes when zooming in/out.

With my Oppo 93, it has a "shrink" method called 1/2x zoom that will shrink down your 2.35 setting to fit onto the 1.78 size which I could use for the non Java discs which means I would not have to mess with the lens at all. All in all I am not real worried about it since I would mainly use this as a 3d unit which would cut down on manual zooming. It would be a bit of a hassle, but for ghost free 3d I think it would be well worth it

I have every torture test disk lined up, ready to put that W7000 through it's 3D paces. it should be so easy on the eyes and a major step up from the Acer 5360. The BenQ lens are amazingly sharp. It's funny looking at the W7000 images, it looks identical my SP890 and W6000 at work. The joystick wasn't too bad to use. The good news is, at least it stays where you put it.
post #196 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

looker closer, I don't think there is going to be a way to use any other glasses other then the BenQ DLP link glasses.

from their website:

The W7000 is the first projector in the world to be accredited with the TUV Rheinland 3D Full HD Certification. Designed to offer the best 3D cinema experience at home, the projector is powered by DLP Link™ to delivers ultra-smooth 1080p Full HD images to both eyes – crosstalk free. You also won’t have to wear 3D glasses that come with an additional emitter, which makes home theater enjoyment much simpler. The W7000 is compatible with the latest HDMI standard – Ver. 1.4a, which means it is able to play 3D movies from a Blu-ray DVD player, live sports via cable or satellite and 3D video games on PS3 directly without additional setup.

The gallery doesn't show any signs of a 3D 3 pin VESA port.

http://www.benq.com/product/projector/w7000/gallery

The '3D certification' is interesting:

http://www.tuv.com/en/greater_china/...cnen_54848.jsp

Products that pass TÜV Rheinland’s 3D monitor testing will receive a “3D tested” mark that confirms the monitor complies with all contrast, color, flicker, crosstalk, and other specifications, ensuring that users can comfortably enjoy 3D content and not confront problems with unstable images, interference shadow, unbalanced colors, and brightness uniformity.

I said any projector that uses either an IR or RF emitter meaning any other shutter glas projector other than a DLP Link. Whem them you must use DLP link but even then you might not need those from a particular DLP link glasses manufacturer. I have never used DLP link or had a projector that used them.
post #197 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I said any projector that uses either an IR or RF emitter meaning any other shutter glas projector other than a DLP Link. Whem them you must use DLP link but even then you might not need those from a particular DLP link glasses manufacturer. I have never used DLP link or had a projector that used them.

mark, I wasn't responding to your earlier post, we must have posted at a similar time. I was just trying to see if I could re-use the MV3D RF emitter.

it looks like the W7000 might be DLP Link only since i don't see any kind of interface for an external emitter. I have not used DLP link glasses either with the Acer 5360, only the IR based Nvidia 3D visions.
post #198 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have every torture test disk lined up, ready to put that W7000 through it's 3D paces. it should be so easy on the eyes and a major step up from the Acer 5360. The BenQ lens are amazingly sharp. It's funny looking at the W7000 images, it looks identical my SP890 and W6000 at work. The joystick wasn't too bad to use. The good news is, at least it stays where you put it.

Looking forward to your report! Good to hear the shift stays in place as well (the joystick shift on my Panny 900 would drift sometimes). This sounds like the 3d unit a lot of us have been waiting for.

post #199 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
BenQ demoed it's new line of projectors, including the w7000 in Shanghai:
http://www2.jd-bbs.com/thread-3476529-1-1.html

All glass lens assemblies including multiple ED glass; also a redesigned light path assembly--not sure if the entire light path is meant or just the light source.
post #200 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Info is now on their website

http://www.benq.us/product/projector/w7000

Audible noise level is still high.
33/28 dBA (Normal/Economic mode)

It eats a lot of power as well.
416W

Not sure if this is correct or a misprint.
Is that is the correct MAP, then it explains why the dramatic price drop on the W6000.
MAP $2,499
MSRP $3,999
ftp://downloads.benq.net/projector/P...us_Dec2011.pdf

post #201 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So it has 6 speed color wheel.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #202 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When it comes to sharpness Benq is the winner at this price range (and even much higher right now). Some projectors have an attribute or two they do just a little better than other projectors, and for the Benq it's definitely sharpness.

It's almost as sharp as an LCD monitor, lol...

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #203 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Info is now on their website

http://www.benq.us/product/projector/w7000

Audible noise level is still high.
33/28 dBA (Normal/Economic mode)

I don't think we can take these #'s as an absolute, there is no standard where the microphone is placed in order to measure the sound so it could easily vary between manufacturers based on this alone.

The W7000 looks identical to my SP890 which also uses the 300watt lamp. It's sitting 5 feet directly above my head and I can't hear it with high lamp on in a quiet office environment. Now the DB rating I believe on the Optoma 500 LED, this is one of the loudest projectors i've ever heard, it was extremely distracting.

Another post possibly confirming the 6x color wheel which would be great.

" The pursuit of the ultimate picture quality is the eternal home projector enthusiasts target groups in order to meet the needs of this part, BenQ W7000 at the cost of using a 6-speed color wheel and the dynamic iris technology for enthusiasts and provide more vivid colors more pure deep black screen, DLP rainbow effect is also inherent to almost impossible to reduce the level of perception. There is no doubt that in this grade machine, ISF calibration / lens shift / Panamorph lens compatible so functions are standard, in line with the latest 1080P 3D protocol, W7000 is using the latest HDMI1.4a standards."

benQ is good at recycling this chassis, you can't tell them apart from the previous models.

post #204 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

So it has 6 speed color wheel.

But will it be louder than the 4 speed.
On the Infocus, when switching to 6 speed causes more high pitch noise(reported by users) to be heard from the CW.

post #205 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
On my W5000 it is louder when playing 60 fps, no doubt. 24fps about half as loud. I assume the W7000 will be similiar.
post #206 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

On my W5000 it is louder when playing 60 fps, no doubt. 24fps about half as loud. I assume the W7000 will be similiar.

I heard the same when playing in the W6000's service menu (overriding settings) many moons ago. Recently, I didn't hear any difference... it was easy to tell as one calibration disc bounces back and forward continually. I didn't go into the service menu this time and I'm guessing it would be rainbow city as the color wheel would be slowing down quite a bit. I seem to remember they were much easier to spot... but again it's been a while.
post #207 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I notice a very minimal difference between 48hz and 60hz on my Viewsonic Pro8200 with the RBE, I guess a tiny difference is there, but it's very small. Could be a bit more difference with a 6x wheel, but the RBE starts out less so nothing to worry about. The Viewsonic has a 7-seg / 4x color wheel. The color wheel speed only changes a little bit, the bearings and friction just vary between different units, sometimes a faster wheel could be quieter or louder, it just depends.

Just having the 6-speed wheel ability is amazing, so I don't want to hear no moaning about CW noise!
Give me that 6-speed wheel and now we're talking!

Do you know how many years some of us waited for a Benq or Mits DLP to get a 6x color wheel, let's just say a long time...

I have a feeling this is going to be one fine projector folks, I was favoring the Mits hc7800 before, but I'm favoring this one now with hopefully the better and faster color wheel. I have more than once almost called Mike to cancel my RS-45 order (I only have a few days left to do so), and change to the Benq w7000. We just don't have enough info on this projector yet.

I am probably sticking with the JVC, but I'm going to be jealous of the DLP POP with the Benq's optics, so I may have to sell the JVC later after I get bored with it and trade it in for the Benq :P

post #208 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will get a demo out of the first bunch. Email me if you would like it after we do the shoot out. Will do a free calibration on it.

Zombie is clueless about what a Rouge burger is. Its the burger served at a down town Philly restaurant called the Rouge. And its rated as being in the top ten burgers in the US. It should be at $16, MSRP.

16 dollar burgers? 8 burgers will buy a new lamp for a hw30. lol
post #209 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

when is zombie and mark h going to test this pj out?
post #210 of 499 Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

We don't know the price yet, when Zombie will test, or have all the info. I was hoping to get the info before my RS-45 ships, but it appears to be no such luck unless we get it in the next day or two.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page