Can you trust myprojectorlamps.com??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I want an OEM lamp for my JVC RS20....except they, at this time, don't offer the housing which is not that big of a deal. They say it's a Phillips lamp, and is what most of the industry is using. I just want to get the best deal on a OEM lamp; housing or not. JVC's website says $399 which seems pretty steep. IS THERE A CATCH HERE?

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I want an OEM lamp for my JVC RS20....except they, at this time, don't offer the housing which is not that big of a deal. They say it's a Phillips lamp, and is what most of the industry is using. I just want to get the best deal on a OEM lamp; housing or not. JVC's website says $399 which seems pretty steep. IS THERE A CATCH HERE?

I haven't used them personally, but unless I'm mistaken there was a discussion about them in either the RS40 or RS50 owners thread. I think they were selling a replacement bare lamp for the RS40/50, but when somebody ordered it, what they got was obviously not the correct lamp. The suspicion is that they were selling an older model RSXX lamp, and incorrectly advertising it for the RS40/50.

So, I guess, make sure that what they're sending you is really an RS20 lamp.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM

If it doesn't come with the housing, I'd suspect that it's not an OEM lamp. I don't know of any manufacturer who sells a lamp without the housing assembly.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Older JVC projectors, i.e., pre-RS40/RS50/RS60, used bulbs from Philips within the lamp assembly sold by JVC. As long as you get the same Philips bulb that JVC used then you should be able to save some money by replacing your original bulb with the new one using your original JVC lamp assembly. So MyProjectorLamps may be selling a OEM bulb (i.e., from Philips) but not the OEM JVC lamp assembly (which already has the Philips bulb installed).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 9 Old 10-21-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Try projectorsuperstore.com they have OEM lamps with housing. They also partnered up with a new company called diamond lamps that offers lamps for $100 cheaper.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #6 of 9 Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Ritari View Post

If it doesn't come with the housing, I'd suspect that it's not an OEM lamp. I don't know of any manufacturer who sells a lamp without the housing assembly.

For many projectors replacing the bare bulb in the housing is a piece of cake. Just get the manufacturer's name and bulb number off your bulb and order it. It will generally be the same Phillips or Osram bulb that your Manufacturer used.

For example here is the bulb data for the Planar 8150 (Now Runco)

post #7 of 9 Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, on the RS2 that I use quite often I didn't want another Iwasaki built JVC lamp, because they all seem to flicker around 500 hours. They last OK and the flicker will usually go away when run on high for awhile. But depending on who one wants to listen too, that flicker means the lamp is actually gone bad.

Also I didn't want to try an remember to rotate the bulb itself every 500 hours to maybe keep it from happening. So, like whats in the RS2 thread I managed to find a Philips bulb and works fine. Didn't JVC use Philips for the RS20? It appears nobody seems to know who they are using in the last models.

Anyway, I've always just replace the bulb itself in Rear Projection with Philips or Osram when possible. Its usually easier to cross rear projection though. As already stated most times the info is on the bulb itself. Need to know the Reflector type and maybe even the arc gap. Last time I checked Apex was using Philips and that Diamond group someone mentioned, is suppose to only use OEM bulbs. The only think about the bulbs that come in a JVC housing, is they usually don't have a screw on type connection like almost everyone else uses.

So, just have to do that yourself or buy a generic housing. Some of those smell but can just switch the bulb back to the JVC housing.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM

I have bought from this company twice before. Both times the products were original and worked as expected. The person who helped me over the phone explained all my options. They had prices for after market lamps, bare lamps, and OEM lamps. IIt was up to me to decide what I wanted. They truly sell Philips and Osram branded products. On my second purchase, I got a quote for an OEM product, and went with it. It came in a EPSON branded box and still works great. My advice, just call them to get your options. I would recommend this site to my colleagues. smile.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Don't forget that A V Science sells OEM lamps too - give us a call.smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page