Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Since I was unable to put together my final comparative thoughts on the RS50 vs the Panny 7000, maybe I can stitch together some frankensteinian enthusiasts' comparison of all three, infused with the cold blood of the long-since lifeless (for me) VW85 and VW90 for good measure.

By All Means - I look forward to your review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Joe - did the IR/RF repeater show full signal strength with the sensor taped to that position? If not did you try facing the sensor back at the pj instead of the screen to see if that made a difference?

Sure does. All 5 leds lit up green.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
3D is very important to me so the question is -- just how good is the 3D and is it going to remain "ghost-free" (is it ghost-free to begin with?) as the lamp ages? Neither JVC or Sony has a great track record when it comes to their previous 3D efforts.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Joe - did the IR/RF repeater show full signal strength with the sensor taped to that position? If not did you try facing the sensor back at the pj instead of the screen to see if that made a difference?

thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

3D is very important to me so the question is -- just how good is the 3D and is it going to remain "ghost-free" (is it ghost-free to begin with?) as the lamp ages? Neither JVC or Sony has a great track record when it comes to their previous 3D efforts.

Cannot tell what will append with the 95 in the future but as of right now the 95 is the best 3D I ever saw.

Better than the rs40, rs50, Sony VW90, Pannny 7000 and the Sony HW30. The ghosting is very minimum. The 3D effect of pop-up and depth is incredible. I re-watch Avatar last night and cannot believed the difference with my "old" rs40. Not even in the same league. It's like comparing apple and orange.

Those blue monkeys where in my room, I swear
Old 11-03-2011, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I appreciate it.

It is a 29.7% performance increase.
Major and minor differences aside the 30 is a great bang for the buck model. I would say motorized Lens with the 95, increased Sharpness, more features, better depth make it stand out a little more. Of course the 30 will get most people excited anyway so as long as you do not A/B them you would be fine.

Okay. Thanks very much for that. Now I have to decide on whether that is worth it. I was going to purchase a new Ultrabook and Fujifilm X10, but I may just go for the 95ES instead.

Cheers!
Rod
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Sure does. All 5 leds lit up green.

Yea that receiver seems pretty strong. I have mine taped to the BACK of the bezel on my Samsung TV. The IR is transmitted through a little window out of the FRONT side of the bezel of course, yet having it on the opposite side of the bezel still works for full signal strenght. That is surprising to me given that IR is primarily line of sight and unless the IR sensor in my Samsung is also firing backwards its hard to believe I get signal back there. But I do and it works great.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Ah, screw it - I ordered one...will be here Friday AM..

know the feeling, hopfully you going to be satifysed

dj
Old 11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Cannot tell what will append with the 95 in the future but as of right now the 95 is the best 3D I ever saw.

Better than the rs40, rs50, Sony VW90, Pannny 7000 and the Sony HW30. The ghosting is very minimum. The 3D effect of pop-up and depth is incredible. I re-watch Avatar last night and cannot believed the difference with my "old" rs40. Not even in the same league. It's like comparing apple and orange.

Those blue monkeys where in my room, I swear

Awesome Rick! More impressions please - maybe from other titles, 2D or 3D.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:35 PM

I have a question for new 95 owners, and those with 90s: Can any noise AT ALL be heard from the dynamic iris working? If you are right next to it and trying to hear something when it is working hard? Opinions from those with excellent hearing would be much appreciated!

I am very close to jumping ship from JVC after a pink stripe issue, and my main concerns now are brightness and the DI.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtden View Post

I have a question for new 95 owners, and those with 90s: Can any noise AT ALL be heard from the dynamic iris working? If you are right next to it and trying to hear something when it is working hard? Opinions from those with excellent hearing would be much appreciated!

I am very close to jumping ship from JVC after a pink stripe issue, and my main concerns now are brightness and the DI.

I am very sensitive to that. When I was doing my testing on the 95, the projector was temporarily at one foot from my head. I never ear the dynamic iris. No even a faith. It is dead silent.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Joe,

I am curious, whats your favorites settings for 3D?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Joe,

I am curious, whats your favorites settings for 3D?

Almost done with that. I am making them with Cinema 3. I will post something soon after they are more concrete.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Almost done with that. I am making them with Cinema 3. I will post something soon after they are more concrete.

Great !

I have reach a point where I a pretty satisfy too...

Will be fun to compare
Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So you guys think the Monster Vision 3D glasses are worth the expense? I know 2 pairs of Sony glasses come with the 95 so I need to get 2 more. They are hard to find, however.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

So you guys think the Monster Vision 3D glasses are worth the expense? I know 2 pairs of Sony glasses come with the 95 so I need to get 2 more. They are hard to find, however.

I now own 5 pairs of Monsters!!!! Definitely worth it though.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

I don't think they are worth it, I KNOW they are worth it! Never lose sync again!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I haven't seen any clear comment on the new lens memory option for the VW95ES. My screen is a 2.35:1 CH setup. Could someone describe how well this feature works? Does it take time to switch from one setting to the other? can the PJ automatically detect the correct ratio? what happens to the image during the zooming?

Stef
Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

I haven't seen any clear comment on the new lens memory option for the VW95ES. My screen is a 2.35:1 CH setup. Could someone describe how well this feature works? Does it take time to switch from one setting to the other? can the PJ automatically detect the correct ratio? what happens to the image during the zooming?

I love this feature. I drop down my 3D screen and hit position 2 and it automatically adjusts to fill the larger screen area. Then when done I send the 3D screen up and then hit position 1 and it automatically goes a little smaller to fit my Vutec Screen. Easy as pie! Love it!!!

When you have it set you go into the menu and hit Save and you can choose between 5 memory slots.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have some second night feedback. Firstly a bit on the 3D gaming front as promised. I played an hour of Drakes Deception. Firstly, as the reviews have alluded to, its an awesomely crafted game. But also as was alluded to at IFA, it is by far the best 3D game yet on the PS3 platform. So immersive, I literally felt pulled into the scenes, especially the roof tops with a realistic sense of height and depth. I ran it in high lamp, and test cinema 1,3 and game. The best mode seems to be as I suspected it might Cinema 3. Now the one thing I can say the gaming did bring out as a minor negative for the first time so far in my viewing, was some ghosting. Mind you it was no where near as much an issue as the 90 and the improved brightness made up for it. Also, as I still have this odd issue with the X103s losing sync constantly, I was using the Sonys. I would be keen to see how the Monsters performed under these conditions as I suspect they would cope better. All in all though I gave the gaming experience a big tick and now how no question over whether I'd rather do 2D or 3D for it. 3D gaming on this projector is a treat.

I watched a bit of 720p material last night, just some shows like Fact or Faked and Terra Nova. I ended up going back down to low lamp mode. I also followed Joe's tip of sharpness at 10. I watch a lot recorded 720p material and I really noticed the difference in shows shot in video style, like fact or faked- it really seemed to have a fair amount more 'pop' on the 95. Terra Nova looked fantastic as well. I am really looking forward to some heavy duty Bluray viewing across the weekend. I'll pull out some favs and check them out. I also need to grab the Jurassic Park trilogy.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

Thanks lovingdvd, your reasons make perfect sense for choosing a Sony. I watch 95% movies in a dark colored room and have a large screen, so it still looks like the JVC is better suited to my needs.

I really don't understand this. If the VW95 has very similar blacks and contrast levels as the RS40/45, why would it not be a great projector for watching dark movies? I think the Sony 95 is perfect for watching dark movies. If you want to loose better sharpness and motion over just the little bit better blacks and contrast of the RS55 then be my guest. I'll take the Sony.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Now the one thing I can say the gaming did bring out as a minor negative for the first time so far in my viewing, was some ghosting. Mind you it was no where near as much an issue as the 90 and the improved brightness made up for it. Also, as I still have this odd issue with the X103s losing sync constantly, I was using the Sonys. I would be keen to see how the Monsters performed under these conditions as I suspect they would cope better. All in all though I gave the gaming experience a big tick and now how no question over whether I'd rather do 2D or 3D for it. 3D gaming on this projector is a treat.

Try setting your brightness from 4 to 3 on the Sony in 3D menu, the 103's should sync fine after changing this setting.

even the best LCOS 3D is still going to struggle a bit with SBS content. I am not much of a console gamer (I would love to see 1080p @ 120hz for my PC rig) but I did try some 3D Xbox games with the HW30. I was able to reduce the crosstalk quite a bit with the Monster Vision 3D glasses. It cuts out about 10% light at my most aggressive setting, but I can easily afford it since I have the projector inches above eye level on a 2.8 HP screen which is plenty bright for 3D.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 PM

I'm still on the fence between the VW95 and the RS55...I currently have an JVC RS2 and enjoy the image but do see the motion problems. I have not seen last year models for motion and was about to pull the trigger on the VW95 until I noticed the Lumens were 100-200 less than than RS55 (from some tests not sure if the RS55 was calibrated).

I am building a new house with a dedicated theater. The screen is a 160" 2.35 HP 2.4 gain screen with the PJ 22ft back. As big as the screen is the more lumens I can get the better but dang it the 95 seems so promising!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

I really don't understand this. If the VW95 has very similar blacks and contrast levels as the RS40/45, why would it not be a great projector for watching dark movies? I think the Sony 95 is perfect for watching dark movies. If you want to loose better sharpness and motion over just the little bit better blacks and contrast of the RS55 then be my guest. I'll take the Sony.

My guess is that he meant he'd want the RS45 over the HW30 I suppose. My guess is the street price of the VW95 is not too far off from about twice that of the RS45 pre-order price.

The VW95 sounds like a great projector but I've not heard anyone mention much about the picture being supposedly dim in low lamp mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Not true. The JVC RS45 actually competes and beats the Sony 95 in native contrast, and to me is better with film and has a better 24p mode. If you were to compare the RS45 to the HW30, well then it's not a very good day for the Sony. The HW30 native contrast is about the same as a good LCD, and the lens is inferior with less sharpness, and non uniform focus over the entire screen...

If this were my first projector I'd be getting the Sony. However, for me I care more about the black levels than the motion (even though that is very important also). Having lived with the blurry motion on the RS2 now I'd rather only take a slight improvement with motion than to sacrifice much in the black levels / contrast area. If I knew the Sony were very close I might go the HW30 route knowing how good the motion and 3D is on it. The problem is there seems to be so many conflicting opinions and I'm not sure if it's all due to setup or simply others just aren't as picky.

Like others, I also am concerned about the lamp issues on the JVCs. Being high up on the pre-order list it would be a tough call to pass on the RS45 at the great price AVS has provided us. Good enough that if there are issues I might be able to sell it and switch to a Sony if I'm not happy since I know at this point the Sony won't cost any more later than it does now.

Tough call without seeing the two side by side. If it were my first projector I'd be getting the Sony.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Some members are contesting the 20+% brightness the JVC's are reported to have over the Sony's, stating they were not accurately measured. I'm in the same boat as you, wondering about what unit to get. The black level on the new JVC's are reported by a long time member here (http://www.tedpublications.com/news/...5-at-a-glance/ ) , to have been significantly improved over the current models, as well as the lumans. We will have to wait and see.
The reports on the Sony's are sure encouraging.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3coy3d View Post

I am building a new house with a dedicated theater. The screen is a 160" 2.35 HP 2.4 gain screen with the PJ 22ft back. As big as the screen is the more lumens I can get the better but dang it the 95 seems so promising!

Based on Coderguy's projector calculator you will get ~13 foot lamberts on low lamp and ~20 foot lamberts on high lamp. I think you'll be fine. Remember that the Sony is quiet even on high lamp unlike the JVCs.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The 95 is spec'ed by Sony at 1000 lumens, and kraine reported measuring 770 (high lamp, min throw). This 77% of spec'ed value, at D65, is typical of previous Sony's, as several have noted.

The new JVC's are sped'ed quite a bit higher, and cine4home measured 930 lumens, D65 (high lamp, min throw): I would take Ekkehart's results to the bank. I thus think this comparison of brightness is reasonably reliable, though one of course looks forward to further confirmation.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

No probs. I literally just got the invoice about 2hrs ago and was flawed by how much cheaper than the 90 the 95 is. So I can say confidently that if the US MSRP is quoted around $6999, then here in Oz, with our current kick arse exchange rate, you will find the retail here to be very palatable. As a pointer I can def say Australian commercial cost has blown the $US6k mark to smithereens frankly, so I'm even happier I upgraded to say the least. Lets hope they come through for me on the final pricing of the VW1000 as well when it's launched.

Can you quote that in diagonal screen size. I still deal in inches for screens. For 2D in a light controlled room, you could prob get away with 150". For me I'm using 110" and its sweet. I may well need to re-evaluate for the VW1000 due to the new 1.5 times screen height viewing distance rule of thumb for 4K lines.

Oz,

Very happy to hear that Sony is doing the right thing by us downunder. I'd love to get a 1000 but I fear Mrs M would freak at the cost !

My screen will be 136" diag at 16:9 and I'm using a MKIV lens to expand to 170" diag for 2.35.

Cheers,
Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Based on Coderguy's projector calculator you will get ~13 foot lamberts on low lamp and ~20 foot lamberts on high lamp. I think you'll be fine. Remember that the Sony is quiet even on high lamp unlike the JVCs.

I am not a JVC defender, but let's be rational! I have a JVC RS20 in high lamp, within 3-4 ft of my head, and never notice it. There are plenty of things to discuss, sensibly; no need to go outside the bounds of reason.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I am not a JVC defender, but let's be rational! I have a JVC RS20 in high lamp, within 3-4 ft of my head, and never notice it. There are plenty of things to discuss, sensibly; no need to go outside the bounds of reason.

I upgrade from the RS20 to the RS40 and the 40 is definitely louder in high lamp mode. If it is close to your head you will hear it for sure.

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector