Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3061 of 3582 Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do you guys think that the successor to the VW95 will have 4K?

I have been seriously considering the VW1000, but the damn lamps cost 1000 bucks! That frightens me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3582 Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

I have been seriously considering the VW1000, but the damn lamps cost 1000 bucks! That frightens me!

Really? I thought they were supposed to be less than that.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #3063 of 3582 Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I think the bulb for the 1000 is around 600.00 MSRP so probably could be found street price for around 400.00

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #3064 of 3582 Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

Yes, but Im more interested in the better/sharper optic, the bigger light output, and even less/ no ghosting in 3D on the 1000ES - but if they make a 95 Improved with 4K, min. 1500 lumens and higher Quality optic ( not that isnt good in the 95ES - it is ) - Im can probely be persuaded

I think its more like 700 - 800 dollars at "your place" (US) ( BTW for a orginal Sony lamp - not a cheap imitation ) and I find that reasonable/ cheap for a projector in that class/ quality level

dj
post #3065 of 3582 Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Guys, anybody contemplating this projector, this month would be a good time to buy. Much better than next month.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3066 of 3582 Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 11
I have joined the owner's club of this fine projector. Bought WhereToStart's machine. I am coming from a Sony G70 CRT and this is the first digital I have owned since the original Sony VPL-400W that the G70 replaced some 11 years ago. I need a little more time with it before writing my review. Initial impressions are that it was a worthy "replacement" for my working G70. Certainly far easier to setup.
post #3067 of 3582 Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Are there any VW95ES owners in the SF Bay Area who would be willing to let me see their projector in action? I have been completely unsuccessful in finding a dealer who has one on display! Thanks so much.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #3068 of 3582 Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Guys, anybody contemplating this projector, this month would be a good time to buy. Much better than next month.

Having recently purchased a VPL-VW95es as a replacement for a VPL-VW50 I can report that I am totally satisfied with the new unit.

Even the wife, who is generally rather ho-hum about AV gear, remarked how much better the picture was.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #3069 of 3582 Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Are there any VW95ES owners in the SF Bay Area who would be willing to let me see their projector in action? I have been completely unsuccessful in finding a dealer who has one on display! Thanks so much.

Mike, you would be welcome to see it here, but its NOT even close to SF Bay Area

dj
post #3070 of 3582 Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

Mike, you would be welcome to see it here, but its NOT even close to SF Bay Area

dj

That's very kind of you! You may well be the closest! None of the showrooms I've contacted has it. They all have either the 1000ES or the 30ES. Sony didn't display at CEDIA or CES (they showed the 1000). Very frustrating.

Too bad we didn't talk sooner. I was in Norway and Sweden in November. Would have been a quick trip.

Mike Kobb
post #3071 of 3582 Old 05-04-2012, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I made a custom cable for the Optoma (MV3D) emitter that make the Optoma (MV3D) emitter+glasses work with the Sony VW95 projector. Will this RS45 cable work with a JVC RS45?
post #3072 of 3582 Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's very kind of you! You may well be the closest! None of the showrooms I've contacted has it. They all have either the 1000ES or the 30ES. Sony didn't display at CEDIA or CES (they showed the 1000). Very frustrating.

Too bad we didn't talk sooner. I was in Norway and Sweden in November. Would have been a quick trip.

Can I answer any 95ES related question´s for you ?

BTW. I have seen the HW30, the X30 (RS45) and X70 (RS55) too

But here it is almost impossible to see a 1000ES

dj
post #3073 of 3582 Old 05-04-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

Can I answer any 95ES related question´s for you ?

BTW. I have seen the HW30, the X30 (RS45) and X70 (RS55) too

But here it is almost impossible to see a 1000ES

dj

Thank you for the offer, but honestly the question is, "How does it look?" That's too subjective of a question -- I really need to see for myself. I have also seen the JVC and the big Sony. I like the JVC's picture, but it's not bright enough in low lamp and not quiet enough in high lamp, and the 3D has been awful every time I've seen it. The only thing wrong with the 1000 is the price! . What I want to see is how close the 95 comes to the 1000, and whether I think the difference is worth the money.

Mike Kobb
post #3074 of 3582 Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM

I have now spent many hours using the 95ES to watch 2D and 3D movies. It is a fantastic projector. My setup is a bat cave projecting onto an 8' wide wall painted with Sherwin Williams paint that matches the color response of my StudioTek1.3 sample at least by eye as carefully as I can tell and according to those that measured it elsewhere on the web. I have the projector at max throw for 7' wide so I can zoom for CIA between 16:9 (7’ wide) and 2.35:1 (8’ wide) and lamp on low.

One thing that everyone seems to bring up over and over is black level. I have had a Sony G70 CRT for the past 10 years and it is effectively absolute black. However, even in a perfect bat cave with zero light and no equipment glow you can see the screen outline when the projector is simply turned on because even at its lowest setting there is some slight glow. Then if you actually project anything but black on the screen, there will be some amount of reflection back on the screen from the audience unless you drape yourself in black cloth too. I am only stating these extremes so you understand my next statement: The 95ES black levels are just fine. Yes I can see the area of the projector's black bars compared to the screen compared to the black cloth outline if I really look but I don't care and the difference is pretty minimal. There was zero difference between the projected black bars and the non-projected parts of the screen for my CRT and at no time did I ever think "Darn. If only the 95 had the CRT's level of black. Maybe I should use it instead for this dark movie." I can't imagine choosing another projector simply because its black is maybe halfway between the 95 and CRT black while giving up a bunch of other advantages.

I watched Tron Legacy 3D and it was so clean, clear, and ghost free. I really enjoy that movie normally in 2D and saw it in 3D at the theater but on Blu 3D it just seemed so much better than I remember at the theater. I also watched Drive Angry in 3D. That movie had visible ghosting here and there but it wasn’t as simple as bright edges against a dark background or Tron Legacy would have been a problem. Most of the time those scenes had no ghosting. It seemed more when there was some sort of sheen on a person's face that was different between the left and right image or the object had a very different illumination between the left and right image. I tested if the ghosting could be reduced by changing the brightness but it had zero effect but changing the depth to -2 eliminated it on the paused image I was viewing.

In 2D movies looked great. It was nice to see a movie in full 1920x1080 resolution with good brightness even with the projector a max throw on low lamp. The panels are not absolutely perfectly aligned. There is a little shift in the red pixels on the left side of the screen, easily visible to me on high resolution test patterns and high contrast sharp edges like text at my seating distance. Unnoticeable on actual movie images. On the right side the pixels become horizontal rectangles instead of squares but this is only visible at the screen itself. Also the lens does have chromatic aberration especially in the blue range. The blue blurs a little above and below the horizontal lines. Something I am used to seeing on the CRT but it is not visible at the seating distance. Even with the slight blur and slight misalignment I am able to detect the grid pattern at 12' from the 8' wide screen so I know I am looking at a pixelated image. Fortunately I don’t really look for it when watching a movie but I could appreciate the advantage of a projector that could eliminate all traces of the grid lines (e-shift). I couldn't imagine preferring a DLP with its image replete with artificial sharpness of very visible grid lines.

I’m confident I got the right projector for me. While I can appreciate a projector with better blacks and e-shift, I find that great motion handling, excellent FI implementation, and high quality 3D to be of far greater value. And regardless of picking any of the projectors in this class, it is really nice to lose about 150lbs, 24db, and 8 hours of setup time. However, in a few years I will probably be frustrated that I can’t simply replace an input board for a few hundred dollars to handle a new specification like 48fps or connection type as I could with my venerable CRT.
post #3075 of 3582 Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Howdy,

I read an article recently about some problems with recent digital cinema screenings of Casablanca. Apparently some of the big SXRD cinema projectors were having problems where one side of the screen had a reddish tinge, while the other was greenish. Obviously pretty hard to miss on a black and white film.

This evening, I attended an event at a local dealer, and one of the displays was a JVC X70. I brought my Blu-ray disc of Casablanca, and I had an opportunity to play it on the X70. We immediately noticed that the upper right corner of the image had a purplish tint to it. It was pretty apparent. When we put some color content back on, it wasn't so obvious, but in scenes with blue sky, you could see the tinge.

Has anybody else seen a problem like this on the 95ES? Do you guys watch black and white classics?

Mike Kobb
post #3076 of 3582 Old 05-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Liked: 10
Just a quick update from me. I recieved my VW-95ES from five weeks abroad at the service center. They have replaced the "c-board". 28 hours of lamp time has been used at the service.

Right away I can see the differences between the VW-90ES loan unit and the VW-95ES. The major difference being sharpness and black level, both in favor for the VW-95ES. I am real glad to have it back
post #3077 of 3582 Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post

Just a quick update from me. I recieved my VW-95ES from five weeks abroad at the service center. They have replaced the "c-board". 28 hours of lamp time has been used at the service.

Right away I can see the differences between the VW-90ES loan unit and the VW-95ES. The major difference being sharpness and black level, both in favor for the VW-95ES. I am real glad to have it back

Not to mention 3D is much better.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #3078 of 3582 Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey View Post

I have now spent many hours using the 95ES to watch 2D and 3D movies. It is a fantastic projector. .......... However, in a few years I will probably be frustrated that I can't simply replace an input board for a few hundred dollars to handle a new specification like 48fps or connection type as I could with my venerable CRT.

Naah, you won't be frustrated, by then we'll have glasses free 3D on 4K laser projectors that will have the black levels of CRT and the brightness of 3 chip DLP, and all for less than 10K. Well, maybe more than a couple years

I too had a G70, which was finally unseated by a RS2, then RS20 , and now the VW95. Definitely with the RS20, and even more so with the 95 , the overall picture quality is significantly improved over the crt. This is amplified with the use of a A lens for scope movies to 120x51, sitting at 13 ft this is just total immersion. The blacks, sharpness, motion handling and pop this pj has me satisfied until the above mentioned advances come along.
post #3079 of 3582 Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM

I'm trying to use the 12v output to trigger my projector screen, however it's outputting less than 12v and not triggering my da lite screen. i've read that sony is notorious for having bad 12v output, that it's not true 12v. anyone have any suggestions to overcome this and get my projector to trigger the screen? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
post #3080 of 3582 Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post

Drem - happy to hear you have your VW95 back. Please remind me - what was the original problem you sent it in for? Now fully resolved?
post #3081 of 3582 Old 05-06-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Drem - happy to hear you have your VW95 back. Please remind me - what was the original problem you sent it in for? Now fully resolved?

Thanks. I had a very strange issue. It automatically shut itself down about every 100 hours or so, giving the six repeating flashes on the On/Standby lamp. The user manual information about this code was very vague too, simply saying that you should try to unplug the power cable, reinsert and restart the projector. Also that it "might be an electrical problem".

We will see, when it reaches about 510 hours, if it's solved or not. Sure hope it is.
post #3082 of 3582 Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I made a custom cable for the Optoma (MV3D) emitter that make the Optoma (MV3D) emitter+glasses work with the Sony VW95 projector. Will this cable+optoma glasses and emitter work with a JVC RS45?
post #3083 of 3582 Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Pip

Quote:

Howdy,

I read an article recently about some problems with recent digital cinema screenings of Casablanca. Apparently some of the big SXRD cinema projectors were having problems where one side of the screen had a reddish tinge, while the other was greenish. Obviously pretty hard to miss on a black and white film.

This evening, I attended an event at a local dealer, and one of the displays was a JVC X70. I brought my Blu-ray disc of Casablanca, and I had an opportunity to play it on the X70. We immediately noticed that the upper right corner of the image had a purplish tint to it. It was pretty apparent. When we put some color content back on, it wasn't so obvious, but in scenes with blue sky, you could see the tinge.

Has anybody else seen a problem like this on the 95ES? Do you guys watch black and white classics?

All LCD, LCOS, and SXRD displays have inherently imperfect color uniformity. The degree of imperfections can vary greatly between models, and even between different units of the same model.

I watch a lot of B&W and am very sensitive to this issue. Color uniformity problems which would never be noticed in color images can be very distracting with B&W images. I have owned four projectors and demoed four others. My Sony 10HT and HS-51 had quite distracting color uniformity issues. My VW50 (Pearl) was quite good and rarely distracting. I have a new VW95 which is far superior in color shading to the Pearl. My 95 is almost perfect in this area, and even with the most revealing images, I have to look very hard to notice any imperfections.

If you watch a lot of B&W, it is very important that you demo using B&W material or revealing test patterns. Also, if you buy an LCD, LCOS, or SXRD unit, test it with B&W material as soon as you receive it. Individual units can vary widely.

Pip
post #3084 of 3582 Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer99 View Post

I'm trying to use the 12v output to trigger my projector screen, however it's outputting less than 12v and not triggering my da lite screen. i've read that sony is notorious for having bad 12v output, that it's not true 12v. anyone have any suggestions to overcome this and get my projector to trigger the screen? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

I spoke with Da-Lite about this, since you said you were getting 11.6 volts from the projector trigger. The Video Projector interface in the Da-Lite will accept a 5v-12v signal. One thing you can try is a 12v battery. Instead of using the projector, disconnect the wires and touch them to the battery terminals. If this raises and lowers the screen consistently then it will confirm a problem with the connection at the projector or the projectors inability to send a constant signal. If the battery does not lower the screen the problem could be with the video projector interface or a loose connection with the wires. Also note that the older video projector interface (pre 2008) takes a higher amperage, about 180 milliamps to trigger the screen. Models made after 2008 only require a few milliamps.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3085 of 3582 Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post

All LCD, LCOS, and SXRD displays have inherently imperfect color uniformity. The degree of imperfections can vary greatly between models, and even between different units of the same model.

[snip]

My 95 is almost perfect in this area, and even with the most revealing images, I have to look very hard to notice any imperfections.

If you watch a lot of B&W, it is very important that you demo using B&W material or revealing test patterns. Also, if you buy an LCD, LCOS, or SXRD unit, test it with B&W material as soon as you receive it. Individual units can vary widely.

Pip

Thanks! I don't watch a lot of B&W, but some for sure. I will definitely be on the lookout for this now.

Unfortunately for me, my high flicker sensitivity makes most DLP machines unsuitable (except the 3-chip, which are expensive and a bit noisy...)

I had high hopes for LED DLP, but so far they have their own issues.

Still haven't managed to see the Sony 95, and my local dealer's 1000 is out of commission for a bit while they move it to a new room. I will check it out with Casablanca as soon as it is ready.

Mike Kobb
post #3086 of 3582 Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Link for potential buyers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21993063

post #3087 of 3582 Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM

Liked: 13
I'm glad I bought my 95 from AVS last year. But I wouldn't have bought it from anyone at Sony's MSRP.
post #3088 of 3582 Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Still loving my Sony 95ES. The picture quality is still gorgeous after about 6 months. I still do have very minor lens memory issues but since it only takes moments to correct it's no big deal. I have to agree with A.West here, the price AVS hooked me up with was stellar and made the decision a simple one for me.

As a side note, I have 2 pair of sony glasses (included with projector) and 2 pair of the monster vision glasses. The monster glasses were much better as far as ghosting and field of view, but both pairs of my monster glasses no longer will hold a battery charge. Sucks!
post #3089 of 3582 Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Still loving my Sony 95ES. The picture quality is still gorgeous after about 6 months.

Like this

Quote:

As a side note, I have 2 pair of sony glasses (included with projector) and 2 pair of the monster vision glasses. The monster glasses were much better as far as ghosting and field of view, but both pairs of my monster glasses no longer will hold a battery charge. Sucks!

Don't like to hear this as I just ordered two MV kits for $60 each minus 10%. I can't even find the glasses for only $60 so two kits it was and I will have a backup transmitter.
post #3090 of 3582 Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM

Liked: 13
I have 3 sony glasses (2 regular, 1 ps3) and 4 monster vision glasses. I cannot see any difference in ghosting between these glasses. Rather disappointing as this was my top reason for buying them. My daughter actually likes the cheapest ps3 glasses the best because it fits kids better.
When I fooled around with the MV settings, nothing seemed to improve.
Mind you - none of my guests have ever complained about ghosting - apparently if you don't know to look for it, it's not a big deal. People mostly ooh and aah at the picture, 2D and 3D.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page