Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3601 of 3608 Old 11-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
here i've linked the quick pre-calibration reports if anyone is interested.

http://1drv.ms/1tmg5ei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3608 Old 11-07-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by masodes View Post
here i've linked the quick pre-calibration reports if anyone is interested.

http://1drv.ms/1tmg5ei
I spoke to Sony today. Since Sony Japan is now involved it will take longer, maybe up to 2 or 3 weeks in total. The local techs are asked to performed various experiments and tests then feedback the results. This likely takes a full day each time instructions are given and results are sent back to Japan.
post #3603 of 3608 Old 11-07-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebj View Post
I spoke to Sony today. Since Sony Japan is now involved it will take longer, maybe up to 2 or 3 weeks in total. The local techs are asked to performed various experiments and tests then feedback the results. This likely takes a full day each time instructions are given and results are sent back to Japan.

jebj, would you send me your "Prime Support Ref" and "Job Number"?
i'd like to let the "EU Prime Support" know that somewhere else they are dealing a bit different with problems.
i'm afraid that in my case they haven't even done any measurements. if so they would have seen that something has to be messed up with my projector.
thanks and keep us informed!
post #3604 of 3608 Old 11-08-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
jebj, would you send me your "Prime Support Ref" and "Job Number"?
i'd like to let the "EU Prime Support" know that somewhere else they are dealing a bit different with problems.
i'm afraid that in my case they haven't even done any measurements. if so they would have seen that something has to be messed up with my projector.
thanks and keep us informed!
Masodes, I think it might be best to see what the final outcome is before stirring things up. This might cause problems for the service center and tech that I am dealing with, especially if my specific work order is referenced. For now you can perhaps tell them that a customer in Toronto has a similar problem with the VW95ES and the local service center is performing measurements to validate the problem. I also provided them with Calman screen captures showing the pre-calibration measurements at 50 hours vs around 500 hours to clearly show the change in gamma and gamut.
post #3605 of 3608 Old 11-11-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Masodes, I think it might be best to see what the final outcome is before stirring things up. This might cause problems for the service center and tech that I am dealing with, especially if my specific work order is referenced. For now you can perhaps tell them that a customer in Toronto has a similar problem with the VW95ES and the local service center is performing measurements to validate the problem. I also provided them with Calman screen captures showing the pre-calibration measurements at 50 hours vs around 500 hours to clearly show the change in gamma and gamut.
That makes sense. I'm hoping the best for you!
In the meantime i found two german guys who also had to deal with the same problem. They both took their projectors to Prime Support. The first one got the whole optical block replaced and everything was working perfectly again. The other one had to cope with Sony's claim that this is reasonable wear and tear of the optical block.
post #3606 of 3608 Old 11-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
That makes sense. I'm hoping the best for you!
In the meantime i found two german guys who also had to deal with the same problem. They both took their projectors to Prime Support. The first one got the whole optical block replaced and everything was working perfectly again. The other one had to cope with Sony's claim that this is reasonable wear and tear of the optical block.
Well, I picked up the projector last Friday and just had a good look at it today. They replaced the Optical Block and included multiple Sencore charts showing gamma and white balance before and after the new block. The gamma is definitely better. There is however a new problem related to the Iris. I set up white balance with Iris OFF and got average de2000 around 1.7. If the iris is then set to Manual or Auto, there is a big increase in Green which is quite obvious visually and the average de2000 is over 5. I have no idea why a new block would interact with the Iris like this but I intend to call Sony again and if necessary it will go back. I suspect that all testing was done with the Iris off based on notes written on the charts.
post #3607 of 3608 Old 11-21-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Did they leave any of the custom settings with their calibrated values that you could try, see if it is stable and compare to your calibrations?

I calibrate with the IRIS Off (otherwise results are unstable). After calibrating I turn it back on (Auto1) and I don't notice green, in fact it looks amazing. I never tried it in Manual so I will try that next time and take some measurements.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #3608 of 3608 Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Well, I picked up the projector last Friday and just had a good look at it today. They replaced the Optical Block and included multiple Sencore charts showing gamma and white balance before and after the new block. The gamma is definitely better. There is however a new problem related to the Iris. I set up white balance with Iris OFF and got average de2000 around 1.7. If the iris is then set to Manual or Auto, there is a big increase in Green which is quite obvious visually and the average de2000 is over 5. I have no idea why a new block would interact with the Iris like this but I intend to call Sony again and if necessary it will go back. I suspect that all testing was done with the Iris off based on notes written on the charts.
interesting news.
would you now send me your "Prime Support Ref" and "Job Number"?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page