Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2014, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post
No one can help ? ^^^^^^
have a look at this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by masodes View Post
have a look at this
Thank you !!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

Now you're ready to get busy with ID3
  1. In the ID3 Setting popup window, choose a gamma in the "Gamma Table Select" drop-down menu to play with.
  2. On the menu bar, Click "Projector", then "Receive from Projector". You should now have a gamma curve to play with. At this point I also did "File" and "Save" to have a backup, but it looks like the program may have the ability to reset to default.
  3. In the ID3 Setting popup window, Click the box that says Real Time if you want each change you make to the curves to be automatically uploaded to the projector. Each update takes maybe a second to send, so it definitely won't slow you down. If you don't like this idea, you can just click Send every now and then.
  4. Start playing around with the curves!

Are corrections made to the currently selected gamma profile in the projector settings menu and permanently saved in that slot or is it something applied overall?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
wow, my first post for like a year or so I think...

I'm trying to remember how this worked, since I lost custody of the laptop I used for this and haven't done it for awhile...

Once you edit and save an altered gamma for that setting, that gamma is permanently saved in that slot, so the old profile is overwritten with the new settings. I'm pretty sure that I saved the original gamma files to my laptop first so that I would have the original curves to restore back to factory if needed.

What I did, if I remember correctly, was that I picked a couple of the Gamma settings that were so far off being useful, and I used them to tweak. That way if I screwed everything up, no real harm!

Once you get in there (assuming you're patient and sufficiently OCD and nerdy to want to do this), it's actually pretty straightforward. It's time-consuming, but you don't need to do it often, and the results are spectacular.

... which reminds me, it's about time to re-calibrate.... maybe after the festivities tonight!
AVfile likes this.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dear AVS Forum folks,
My Sony VW95ES projector and my motorized screen they both have the RS-232 interface connection. I have never connected them through it. I have a likely silly question: do you believe I could make use of this connection to lower or lift the screen up, whenever I powered the projector on or off? There is no instructions describing the usage option of the RS-232 interface on this PJ`s user manual.
Let me thank you in advance for any information you may provide on this.

My HT Gear:
Sony VPL-VW95ES / Panamorph A480SYS / EluneVision 2.40:1 143" CinemaScope Screen / Yamaha CX-A5000 / Oppo BDP-95 / Pioneer DV-47Ai / Crown XLS 1000 x 4 / Crown XLS 1500 x 1 / Crown XLS 2000 x 1 / Axiom M80Ti x 3 / Axiom QS8 x 2 / Yamaha NS-E105 x 2 / Yamaha NS-E60 x 2 / OSD Audio AP650 White 6.5-inch 150-Watt Speaker x 2 / SVS PB12-Plus / Mirrage BPS-400 / Buttkicker x 2 / Aura Transducer x 2
Old 01-31-2015, 03:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post
Actually, low usage seems to provoke the Problem.
sorry but this sound dramatic or ridiculous to me...
where are the specs defining the "not low" usage to avoid problems? how many hours per year are suggested to avoid gamma and gamut collapse? if there are no specs then these "problems" has to be considered under warranty or just normal?

is, as usual, a problem coming from an user unable to use it properly (tipical excuse) or is maybe coming from something different considering that after few hundreds hours those projectors (HW50/HW90/HW95... and the HW55 that inside is almost the same as HW50?) are (sometimes?) unable to respect some specific reference as REC709 and gamma 2,2?

do we have to consider normal that a user, to bring the unit back to good perfomance conditions, has to "play" with Image Director (if he has the proper cable + the proper sensor + the sufficient knowledge + etc. ) only after few hours? (hundreds not thousands)...where is this clearly communicate/specify in the official documentation from Sony?

Last edited by lupoal; 01-31-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My bulb is getting close to 2000 hours. Figured it's time to get another one. Does anyone have any suggestions for a new bulb? Just stick with Sony, or ? And where's a good place to buy one?

I've been enjoying this projector so much, I have not even logged onto this projector forum for over a year. But I suppose...It's probably time to start thinking about 4K.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
My bulb is getting close to 2000 hours. Figured it's time to get another one. Does anyone have any suggestions for a new bulb? Just stick with Sony, or ? And where's a good place to buy one?

I've been enjoying this projector so much, I have not even logged onto this projector forum for over a year. But I suppose...It's probably time to start thinking about 4K.
I suggest waiting for CEDIA in October before you consider a jump to 4K. There will most likely be a few more options out there to consider.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1) stick with real Sony, they are priced reasonably compared to other brands (JVC) so no need to get inventive.

2) if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

- AVStefan
Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I suggest waiting for CEDIA in October before you consider a jump to 4K. There will most likely be a few more options out there to consider.
Ya, I supose you have a point. Problem is, then I wait till owners have it, then by that time, I'm waiting for CEDIA 2016. It's a never ending cycle. I would however like my next move to be lazer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
1) stick with real Sony, they are priced reasonably compared to other brands (JVC) so no need to get inventive.

2) if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
Thanks, any suggestions where I might buy one?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ya, I supose you have a point. Problem is, then I wait till owners have it, then by that time, I'm waiting for CEDIA 2016. It's a never ending cycle. I would however like my next move to be lazer.

Thanks, any suggestions where I might buy one?
When a projector in my price range supports this and software reviews are in then I will know it's time:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/uhd-bd-201501053979.htm

That is all that matters, I never pay any attention to CES or CEDIA cycles.

My local Sony dealer gave me a great price on the lamp. You can also try AVS.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Yes generally that is true, but the reason to wait seems more compelling now than ususal. By this time next year many of us are expecting to see e-shift/fake-4K units replaced with true 4K, filters for DCI (expanded gamut) and support for full 18 Gb/s HDMI with HDCP 2.2. Of course at that point people will be saying to wait another year for the gen 2 versions and any kinks to be worked out and prices to drop. But for those that can wait until such models arrive (hopefully post CEDIA 15) they will be more future proof.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:

Sony OEM lamps in stock.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Yes generally that is true, but the reason to wait seems more compelling now than ususal. By this time next year many of us are expecting to see e-shift/fake-4K units replaced with true 4K, filters for DCI (expanded gamut) and support for full 18 Gb/s HDMI with HDCP 2.2. Of course at that point people will be saying to wait another year for the gen 2 versions and any kinks to be worked out and prices to drop. But for those that can wait until such models arrive (hopefully post CEDIA 15) they will be more future proof.
Hi LD - You still have your 95? I have apparently been following your lead the past several years with video gear.

I haven't been keeping up on projectors. Not at all.... I just assumed 'real' 4K was already here on the sub 10K units. I also use a Lumagen XS, so when I do 'upgrade', it'll be expensive, especially if I upgrade the audio processer too. So I'm in no hurry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Sony OEM lamps in stock.
I keep forgetting AVS store. Can you shoot me a price on one, zip is 99686.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Good point. I'm still liking my VW95 a lot, got a second lamp from AVS and still going strong. Will be watching and waiting for the next generation of projectors to mature a bit. If I didn't already have this good projector I'd be happy to buy the current new items, but not with the expectation of watching much true 4K content on it anytime soon.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there any way to increase the Blanking value above 50? The reason for this is I want to keep the 16:9 IMAX scenes on certain blurays (The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar) within my 2.40:1 screen area, while keeping the picture in it's zoomed in 2.40:1 format. With the blanking value at 50 on top and bottom I am still about 3 inches from the frame..
Nima likes this.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Is there any way to increase the Blanking value above 50? The reason for this is I want to keep the 16:9 IMAX scenes on certain blurays (The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar) within my 2.40:1 screen area, while keeping the picture in it's zoomed in 2.40:1 format. With the blanking value at 50 on top and bottom I am still about 3 inches from the frame..
That is actually an interesting question, which I second.

XBL : neonima

PSN : NeoNima
Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
That is actually an interesting question, which I second.
Indeed it is. Maybe somehow through the service menu, but I haven't found any info at all on how to enter the service menu on the 95ES I doubt Sony themselves will be helpful in this matter. I don't even think I would get an answer if I asked them.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:25 AM

Does anyone here know how to enter the service menu?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Pip

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Does anyone here know how to enter the service menu?
If memory serves, it's Enter, Enter, Up, Down, Enter.

If memory doesn't serve, do a search in this thread, you'll find it.

Pip
Old 03-23-2015, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
If memory serves, it's Enter, Enter, Up, Down, Enter.

If memory doesn't serve, do a search in this thread, you'll find it.

Pip

Enter, Enter, Left, Enter

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Old 03-24-2015, 12:57 PM

Thanks! I will check it out.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM

Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be anything that can change the blanking value in the service menu
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be anything that can change the blanking value in the service menu

Then you need a Radiance.

- AVStefan
Old 04-01-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Then you need a Radiance.
Thanks, I didnt know this was possible but I checked up on some videos. Too bad it is quite expensive. This is now on the top of my shopping list There are quite a few models though. Not sure which one to aim for.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I didnt know this was possible but I checked up on some videos. Too bad it is quite expensive. This is now on the top of my shopping list There are quite a few models though. Not sure which one to aim for.
You only need the most basic one. I am running a Radiance mini-3D which were recently discontinued, but CurtPalme is selling "open box" units for a good price.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
You only need the most basic one. I am running a Radiance mini-3D which were recently discontinued, but CurtPalme is selling "open box" units for a good price.
Happy news. Seems like I will get my hands on a Radiance Mini-3D next week. Brand new unit, at a real bargin No more inconsistent aspect ratios, here I come !
AVfile likes this.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Happy news. Seems like I will get my hands on a Radiance Mini-3D next week. Brand new unit, at a real bargin No more inconsistent aspect ratios, here I come !
Welcome to the party

I read somewhere in this thread that YCbCr 4:4:4 was recommended for our Sony projector so I had set my Radiance to that format about a year ago and forgot about it. I was previously using RGB output with my old projector so I didn't think anything of it. After a while I became aware of some nasty banding which I blamed on poorly mastered movie trailers and studio logos, where they were most noticeable.

After seeing jrp's post in the Radiance thread about dithering I started to play with some settings. I found that using the dithering settings in the Radiance did indeed help with the banding but the real culprit was the 4:4:4 setting. I now run 4:2:2 (Dither OFF) from source right through to projector and the banding is gone

- AVStefan

Last edited by AVfile; 05-01-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old Today, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I'm headed to the UK, so I'm liquidating, well, everything, including my 95ES. But I have no idea what to list it for.

Any thoughts as to the value of this projector nowadays? I don't see them for sale often enough to even guess. Well under 2000 hours on this unit.

I'd welcome any suggestions!

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector