Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #3661 of 3686 Old 07-17-2015, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Anyone using Xpand X105? I'm not that impressed with the X104.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3686 Old 08-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post
I'm headed to the UK, so I'm liquidating, well, everything, including my 95ES. But I have no idea what to list it for.

Any thoughts as to the value of this projector nowadays? I don't see them for sale often enough to even guess. Well under 2000 hours on this unit.

I'd welcome any suggestions!
I've thrown this up in the Classifieds for a measly $1750 USD + shipping with six pairs of 3D glasses, and it's got only about 1200 hours total. Help me find a good home for this unit, and help me give someone a smokin' deal on a great projector!

Thanks all!!
post #3663 of 3686 Old 08-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I've thrown this up in the Classifieds for a measly $1750 USD + shipping with six pairs of 3D glasses, and it's got only about 1200 hours total. Help me find a good home for this unit, and help me give someone a smokin' deal on a great projector!

Thanks all!!
I'm interested and just shot you a pm

Headless Petie
post #3664 of 3686 Old 09-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having owned a 95ES for over three years now, I've noticed a problem that has got me baffled. I calibrated it with Chromapure two years ago and its fed from an Oppo 93 Blu-ray player, into a Marantz AV7701 processor and then into a DVDO Duo, before going into the projector. The problem has been in existence for quite some time, too. Here's what the problem looks like...

When watching a 1.85:1 or 16x9 picture in black & white (it's visible with 2.40:1, too, but easier to see with the other format(s)), all four edges of the picture exhibit a light green color and only the center of the picture is a perfect looking, black & white picture. I'm using a 100", 16x9 Stewart Studiotek 130 screen. To try and put things in size perspective, imagine a 65" flat screen television in that perfect black & white center section, while all the four sides are surrounded by this light green tint. Now the green surrounding tint can be seen when watching color films, too, but you really have to look for it.
What I did last night was to ensure that the picture was framed perfectly and then I used an alternate Duo profile, which had everything set at plain, out-of-the-box, unaltered levels, as opposed to my calibration profile, attempting to see if the Duo may be to blame. I then used a different Sony profile, as well and quick calibrated to Kris Deering's settings in his Home Theater magazine review of the projector. (Great settings by the way.)
Unfortunately, this test resulted in the same outer light green tint in the picture. (Bulbs can be eliminated as a cause, because the problem has been in existence with two different bulbs. Current bulb has about 1,200 hours on it.)

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I searched the web for days, but absolutely nothing can be found, as far as someone else posting about the same problem.
Could either the Oppo, Duo or Marantz be causing this? (The Marantz is set to "pass through".) It's really, really distracting watching black & white movies with this light green ting around all four sides. I don't know if something is wrong with the Sony, requiring repair (it's out of warranty) or if one of those other three devices might be the cause of the problem?
Thank you in advance for any help.
post #3665 of 3686 Old 09-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Pip

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sounds like a shading issue. Search "shading" in the forums. All three chip projectors suffer from shading imperfections - areas of the image containing unequal amounts of red, green, or blue. This is most noticeable in black and white images, and can be very distracting to those with a color critical eye. It is usually observed as areas tinted a bit red or green.

In general the more recent projectors - especially from Sony and JVC have had much better shading than those of the recent past. I've owned 4 Sonys - from the 2001 10HT to the VW95. Each has had much better shading than the previous model; with the VW95 being excellent - much better than my VW50.

I've also heard, although I can't verify, that as the optical units in the three chippers age, shading becomes worse.

For fans of black and white, it's best to evaluate any individual three chip projector immediately for shading issues. I have seen the rare screen shots from even some of the current Sonys - both 1080 and 4k units with unacceptable shading. As I recall, Sony has replaced these units when under warranty.

Hope your search of "shading" proves helpful.

Pip
post #3666 of 3686 Old 09-24-2015, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm glad you guys posted about the "shading" problem because mine does it too. I figured I would send it to Sony for this and dust blobs and fan noise before my warranty runs out. I would rather watch a black & white movie on one of my other TVs than on this projector, it's that bad.

Do they all exhibit this phenomenon or does it depend on the condition of the optical block? I wondered if it has to do with extended use? My unit was a store demo that was on high lamp for 8 hrs every day for 8 months.

- AVStefan
post #3667 of 3686 Old 09-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I'm glad you guys posted about the "shading" problem because mine does it too. I figured I would send it to Sony for this and dust blobs and fan noise before my warranty runs out. I would rather watch a black & white movie on one of my other TVs than on this projector, it's that bad.

Do they all exhibit this phenomenon or does it depend on the condition of the optical block? I wondered if it has to do with extended use? My unit was a store demo that was on high lamp for 8 hrs every day for 8 months.
On any of the recent Sonys or JVCs shading imperfections should be barely noticeable even with B&W. None are absolutely perfect. It sounds as if yours is unacceptable. Send it in before the warranty runs out.

Pip
AVfile likes this.
post #3668 of 3686 Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 PM

Thank you for the information, PIP! Since my 95ES projector is now out of warranty, if I sent it in, what would physically be done to the unit by Sony repair technicians in order to eliminate the shading? And do you have any idea at all, even a ballpark figure of what the repairs are liable to cost me?
Thanks again, Rob
post #3669 of 3686 Old 10-06-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread

I plan to take advantage of the warranty soon. Here are some screenshots which show the "shading" problem on a white background. Do you think it's bad? My last projector was an old worn out CRT and I think this is bad.

High lamp:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444175189.118072.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	980281

Low lamp:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444175206.683849.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	980289
DoxieRob likes this.

- AVStefan
post #3670 of 3686 Old 10-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Pip

Those screenshots don't look too bad to me, but it's a bit difficult to tell with any color image. The slight tints of that whiteboard could easily be how the shot is lit. You should test with gray fields, ramps, or cross ramps. If you don't have a test disc, any good B&W film should do.

Pip
post #3671 of 3686 Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Pip

Those screenshots don't look too bad to me, but it's a bit difficult to tell with any color image. The slight tints of that whiteboard could easily be how the shot is lit. You should test with gray fields, ramps, or cross ramps. If you don't have a test disc, any good B&W film should do.

Pip
post #3672 of 3686 Old 10-08-2015, 10:25 AM

Pip, from his screen-shots, my shading is almost identical to that of AVStefan's and believe me, on black & white movies it is VERY noticeable. It is also very noticeable on gray ramps, on completely gray backgrounds, etc., too. It's distracting as all heck and pretty much renders 16x9 or 1:85 black & white movies unwatchable, because it is so overwhelming.
My apprehension of sending the unit to Sony for repair, out of warranty, is definitely the unknown and possibly prohibitive cost that might be involved, since I don't know what needs to physically be done to remedy the shading.
As I'd mentioned, you have to look hard to notice the shading in color movies, so it's not nearly as distracting as with B&W movies. However, if you've got scenes with mostly a clear blue sky, it rears its head a bit more noticeably.
Since the shading takes up the majority of picture space, I was wondering if recalibrating, concentrating on the four sides might be the way to try and overcome it, sans repair? That way, only the very middle of the picture would look slightly abnormal and the majority of the picture would be fine. The problem with this approach though, is where do you point the meter so that it picks up most of the shading (since usually the meter is centered) and would you want the meter closer to the screen or farther away?
post #3673 of 3686 Old 10-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Pip

Doxie:

Oh I believe that your shading is very distracting with B&W material. I am also very bothered by it with B&W movies. I watch many. It's the first thing I test with any new projector.

My point about that posted screen shot stands however. It's very difficult to judge shading just based on those shots. The actor looks fairly neutral - hair a bit green perhaps. His coat and the white board get a bit greener as they go out to the sides. The writing on the board looks very green. The bright light on the left has a strong pinkish dark halo around it. What does that tell us? Not much. We have no idea how the shot was lit. We have no idea what color marker was used on the board. In addition there is a lot of light fall off as we go out to the sides. Does that mean the sides of the screen have a greenish tint, or that darker IRE levels get greener? We can't know.

I love your idea about recalibrating for a larger or more important area of the screen. Try it to see what you prefer. There is no law that says your sensor must be dead center of the screen. Don't be afraid to try a compromise setting also. But I would think the most important part of the screen for B&W material would be the center 4:3 section. Sounds as if your issues are in the high IRE levels. If so, I would focus your adjustments there.

If you want to know how much Sony would charge to adjust it, I would contact them with screen shots of B&W (gray) test images. If you reach the right person, you might get some Idea of the cost.

The other thing that's worth a try is disabling the auto iris with material that bothers you. Because the auto iris also makes gamma changes, it can often make shading issues more prominent. Not a perfect solution, but it might be an improvement.

Good luck.

Pip
-
post #3674 of 3686 Old 10-12-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post

Pip

It does that on all movies and test patterns. Notice the bottom of his lab coat is turns green at the same point as the whiteboard, so not lighting as they would be on different planes.

- AVStefan

Last edited by AVfile; 10-12-2015 at 08:06 AM.
post #3675 of 3686 Old 10-12-2015, 11:41 AM

Yes, it's definitely there all the time and anything in B&W or any test pattern that has a mostly gray background is when it's easiest to see.
In fact, it's very reminiscent of the huge problem that Sony had with their SXRD rear projection units. Unfortunately, I had one of those too. There was a big class-action lawsuit against Sony for that particular problem. I had service performed on my unit three times (I believe the optical block was the problem) and it was still never completely fixed - the green shading areas just became a little smaller.
When it was time to replace my DWIN TV3 projector, I was hesitant to go with Sony as a replacement, because I didn't want to go through that whole ordeal again. But, I was assured that the problem was with their rear projector SXRD technology, only and that the green shading wouldn't manifest itself with their front projectors. With what AVStefan and I are now experiencing, it looks like the old problem may not have been overcome, after all. The only odd thing about it, is that he & I appear to be the only ones unfortunate enough to have received units with the shading problem, because I scoured the net and have followed this 95ES owners thread since it was created, but found no one else with this same issue.
post #3676 of 3686 Old 10-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieRob View Post
Yes, it's definitely there all the time and anything in B&W or any test pattern that has a mostly gray background is when it's easiest to see.
In fact, it's very reminiscent of the huge problem that Sony had with their SXRD rear projection units. Unfortunately, I had one of those too. There was a big class-action lawsuit against Sony for that particular problem. I had service performed on my unit three times (I believe the optical block was the problem) and it was still never completely fixed - the green shading areas just became a little smaller.
When it was time to replace my DWIN TV3 projector, I was hesitant to go with Sony as a replacement, because I didn't want to go through that whole ordeal again. But, I was assured that the problem was with their rear projector SXRD technology, only and that the green shading wouldn't manifest itself with their front projectors. With what AVStefan and I are now experiencing, it looks like the old problem may not have been overcome, after all. The only odd thing about it, is that he & I appear to be the only ones unfortunate enough to have received units with the shading problem, because I scoured the net and have followed this 95ES owners thread since it was created, but found no one else with this same issue.
I can assure you that you two guys are not the only ones with this issue. You're just some of the very few who have noticed it. Most people watch virtually no B&W material, and rarely notice shading with color images, except maybe hockey. Indeed you can find several posts (not many) for the 95s, 300s, and 500s where people had to return units due to shading problems - and these are the newest and best (re: shading) of Sony's models.

Based on many forum screen shots, I find many of even the pickiest forum members completely oblivious to this issue. I constantly see shots of a white desktop complaining about some minor lens corner issue with text, where the white desktop looks like a red to green rainbow from one side to the other. If you want to see what real shading problems look like, take a look at any of the LCD screenshots.

Judging from posts - and I pretty much read all the owner's posts for LCos units, JVC seems to be close, but not quite as good as Sony with Shading.

ALL three chip units suffer from shading imperfections. It's merely a question of degree. If you want absolutely perfect shading your only option are single chip units. You can go to many commercial digital cinemas and see shading problems - although one hardly ever sees B&W material in a commercial cinema. Also, we tend to project our home images much brighter than commercial theaters - making shading problems much easier to see.

As I wrote, I too am very bothered by shading, and it's the first thing I check with new units. I'm hoping that shading does not deteriorate over time with use. I don't know, but suspect that it might.

Good luck.
post #3677 of 3686 Old 12-29-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by RioBar4U

How do i get into the servie menu?
Thanx

Enter, Enter, Left, Enter
I am trying to change the iris setting in the service menu to see if I can achieve better blacks. I did the ENTER, ENTER, LEFT, ENTER and the option DO YOU WANT TO THE SERVICE MENU YES OR NO came up. I select Yes, and the screen returns to where I was previously, but no service menu. I thought, well maybe I am in service mode, and selected menu, but I could see no difference than selecting this without trying to enter service mode. Can someone expand on getting into the service menu? Thanks.
post #3678 of 3686 Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Service Menu

Disclaimer: Make any changes in the service menu at your own risk.

1. Press enter, enter, left, enter; sequence on the remote
2. Respond Yes to the "Do you want to enter the service menu" question
3. Press the "MENU" button again on the remote and an additional menu option will now be visible below the info menu
4. Select the Service Menu option and additional sub-options will be visible

Let us know if this worked for you.
post #3679 of 3686 Old 01-06-2016, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stichy View Post
Disclaimer: Make any changes in the service menu at your own risk.

1. Press enter, enter, left, enter; sequence on the remote
2. Respond Yes to the "Do you want to enter the service menu" question
3. Press the "MENU" button again on the remote and an additional menu option will now be visible below the info menu
4. Select the Service Menu option and additional sub-options will be visible

Let us know if this worked for you.
Thanks Stichy - that worked, should have recognized the new menu option at the bottom.
post #3680 of 3686 Old 04-01-2016, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ceiling mount for Sony VPL-VW95ES?

Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a ceiling mount for this projector,but can't any information on the net.Can you help with some information about that?Thank you
post #3681 of 3686 Old 04-01-2016, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheorghe View Post
Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a ceiling mount for this projector,but can't any information on the net.Can you help with some information about that?Thank you
Hi,

On the Chief website you can search by model. Here's the list for the Sony: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Mount-Finder/SONY/VPL-VW95ES

For example: http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/RPAU

Amazon has the RPAU in stock if you want delivery tomorrow They also have the Peerless that is also listed as compatible on Peerless' website:
http://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/pro...ducts/PRGS-UNV
post #3682 of 3686 Old 04-02-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
^^ thanks guys. That's what I thought too but the unit is saying please replace the bulb and there are 2000 hrs on the clock. Dealer included a new bulb so I'm going to change it now. Wish me luck... I hope it doesn't get too much brighter!

================================================== =======

EDIT: yikes! With the fresh lamp I am now getting 17 ftL in low and 29 ftL in high, and this is with white level calibrated!

I was getting a flicker in low lamp which is now gone. The old lamp also had a strange blue shift that was difficult to calibrate out without causing a red background, now it calibrates real nice
My replacement lamp is now starting to flicker in Low with 1100 hrs. A brief run in High stops the flicker for a while.

- AVStefan
post #3683 of 3686 Old 10-04-2016, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi, I want to upgrade my VW-95, right now I'm looking at the epson (6)5040UB. Anybody experience with this projector in relations with the VW-95? Or similar projectors? Is it worth the upgrade? Thanx
post #3684 of 3686 Old 10-04-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 5028 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Hi, I want to upgrade my VW-95, right now I'm looking at the epson (6)5040UB. Anybody experience with this projector in relations with the VW-95? Or similar projectors? Is it worth the upgrade? Thanx
Native contrast is about the same.
Epson is more than twice as bright calibrated.
Epson has a sharper image.
Epson can play 4K BD's.

Yes it will be a nice improvement over the 95. Give us a call and we can discuss the options.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #3685 of 3686 Old 10-04-2016, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Native contrast is about the same.
Epson is more than twice as bright calibrated.
Epson has a sharper image.
Epson can play 4K BD's.

Yes it will be a nice improvement over the 95. Give us a call and we can discuss the options.
Thank for your reponse, how about motion?
I live in the Netherlands, so looking at the options with you will not be possible.
post #3686 of 3686 Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 5028 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Thank for your reponse, how about motion?
I live in the Netherlands, so looking at the options with you will not be possible.
Motion will be about the same.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page