Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #3721 of 3734 Old 01-30-2017, 06:51 AM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I agree on all your points except buying another bulb projector, I'll hang on to my 95 until such time as laser 4k is cheaper, like you say the 95 with Darbee does give a great picture. I heard there were some problems with the newer Sony's, don't know about the 675.

Walter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3734 Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 7060 Post(s)
Liked: 4768
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post
That's DreamScreen not Dreamscene, you can google them. Apparently AVS is carrying their perforated versions. I was interested in their V6 ultraweave AT screen material, you can buy just the material from them too, pricing looks good. They rate this one very close to the Stewart Studiotek 100, which is supposed to be the best...bar none.
AVS is carrying the V6 fabric, not the perforated fabric.
abs likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #3723 of 3734 Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
I agree on all your points except buying another bulb projector, I'll hang on to my 95 until such time as laser 4k is cheaper, like you say the 95 with Darbee does give a great picture. I heard there were some problems with the newer Sony's, don't know about the 675.

If you mean the SXRD degradation issue, it's kind of a mess, some are reporting that it's been fixed with the 675, Sony ain't admitting anything if broken in the first place so it is a concern, which is kinda pushing me to hold off until the new 2017 models are released later with the hope that the panels are stable by then.
Also, the current UHD players and projector issues with all the fiddling around to get HDR or strip it out with discs and streaming just feels like too much fussing around for me. Hoping as new players are released or firmware updates occur to minimize those adjustments in coming months then I'm more likely to upgrade, but my Oppo 103, Darbee, vw95 is pretty hard beat.

post #3724 of 3734 Old 01-30-2017, 08:53 AM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

Mike, what is the exact model of screen fabric are you carrying, I was looking for the DreamScreen V6 UltraWeave AT Screen

Walter
post #3725 of 3734 Old 01-30-2017, 08:56 AM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes I think I'd just wait until they iron out the problems with HDR and the Sony panel problems if they still exist.

Walter
post #3726 of 3734 Old 04-02-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I just got a new lamp from Sony. What is the break-in procedure to avoid the dreaded flicker problems - i.e. how long do I need to run it on high?

I've seen posts saying 100+ hrs which seems rather excessive. I would think 100+ minutes would do the trick.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer

Last edited by AVfile; 04-11-2017 at 09:15 PM.
post #3727 of 3734 Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
On any of the recent Sonys or JVCs shading imperfections should be barely noticeable even with B&W. None are absolutely perfect. It sounds as if yours is unacceptable. Send it in before the warranty runs out.

Pip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxieRob View Post
Thank you for the information, PIP! Since my 95ES projector is now out of warranty, if I sent it in, what would physically be done to the unit by Sony repair technicians in order to eliminate the shading? And do you have any idea at all, even a ballpark figure of what the repairs are liable to cost me?
Thanks again, Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I plan to take advantage of the warranty soon. Here are some screenshots which show the "shading" problem on a white background. Do you think it's bad? My last projector was an old worn out CRT and I think this is bad.

Attachment 980281
Pip, Rob and others,

I finally sent my projector to Sony Professional Services in Toronto and it turned out to be a good experience. Note that Sony Customer Service originally had me contact a 3rd party repair shop, which would have been a waste of time because they ended up referring me to the Sony factory where projectors and pro gear are supposed to go. I was also in need of a new lamp which complicated matters (Sony parts are difficult to get in Canada now) and could have clouded the issue.

I included a hard copy of the attached picture and my list of issues briefly stated as:
1) dust blob in centre of image
2) uneven shading around entire image
3) loss of contrast (measured at 2000:1)

They diagnosed the root cause of everything to be a dirty air filter, LOL. The prism (optical block) was burnt (technician's words) by overheating due to lack of air circulation (dust). Contrast was degraded due to dust inside the lamp (some particles get through the screen and sit on the reflector). I do clean my filters and the housing when you're supposed to but not right before sending it in. The unit was more full of dust and probably already burnt when I got it from my dealer (store demo).

They replaced the optical block and cleaned the fans under warranty (this one time, as they reminded me cleaning the filter is part of operating procedure). All I had to pay for was the new lamp which I needed anyway. The best part is it took them about a week to turn around, as all parts were in stock!

The shading problem is gone and contrast is now better than when I bought it (store demo). In fact the black level is so low I can't measure it with my colorimeter

Note: The attached picture is before the repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	371.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	2079905  
dlinsley likes this.

Last edited by AVfile; 04-11-2017 at 10:22 PM.
post #3728 of 3734 Old 04-12-2017, 06:32 AM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

Good to hear everything went okay and you have normal looking PQ again.

What's the warranty period(Canadian), is it 3 years. Knock on wood mine is still working fine, but it only has about 1850 hrs on it with original lamp. How much did they charge you for a lamp?

Walter
post #3729 of 3734 Old 04-12-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

3 years
Mine expires next month and I bought the last unit in Canada (which was sitting in the store for a year).

Sony charged C$380 + tax for the lamp, which is more than it was 3 years ago but $300 less than what the parts supplier wants now!

post #3730 of 3734 Old 04-12-2017, 08:35 AM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

So can you still buy lamps from Sony Service Canada or did they just bring it in for your repair.

Walter
post #3731 of 3734 Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just for my repair. I asked about buying lamps and they said they don't sell parts.

post #3732 of 3734 Old 04-13-2017, 06:24 AM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

That's what I thought.

So what are the "where to buy options" for original Sony lamps in Canada, or are there any.

I know AVS sells them. Isn't AVS now owned by a Canadian company?

Walter
post #3733 of 3734 Old 04-13-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what I thought.

So what are the "where to buy options" for original Sony lamps in Canada, or are there any.

I know AVS sells them. Isn't AVS now owned by a Canadian company?
I believe this is the only option they want you to know about now, and it's a ripoff as we discussed before.

The AVS Forum is hosted by a Canadian server but the AVS online store is very much USA only. You can see the prices online but you have to contact a salesman to get anything shipped to Canada and it's all in USD.

Last edited by AVfile; 04-13-2017 at 02:38 PM.
post #3734 of 3734 Old 04-13-2017, 03:37 PM
WTS
AVS Forum Special Member

When the bottom of each email about a thread post you get says;

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews, a part of VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter Street, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5V 2H1

I just assumed the forums were now Canadian owned, but the store could still be American owned.

Yes I posted that Reliable parts wanted $675 for a Sony bulb, yeah a total ripoff. I would think someone else must be selling original Sony lamps in this country. If not when the time comes I'll just buy it from the AVS store and pay US price and shipping.

Walter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page