Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnHWman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: France
Posts: 1,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Sure thing. The answer is Yes. It works identically. As far as I can tell, they are identical products with different labels. I suppose one could be newer of have newer internal components or subtle differences, but I haven't spotted any. To me it looks like they are identical physically (frames and lenses, switches, usb port - everything) except one has a Monster label and the other has an Optoma label, and they appear to be identical in operation as well. As I mentioned I even had the Monster transmitter send firmware to the Optoma glasses.

Hello Lovingdvd,
The Optoma RF glasses kit compatibility with timing adjustments has just been successfully tested last night with an VW30ES.

For this Optoma dongle, we've been using our "SONY special" cable converter :
SMD (Surface mounted devices) version diagram :


More informations in here (sorry; it's in french ) : http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...5.html#p594708
Thread starting here : http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...er-t34665.html


The Optoma RF dongle + glasses with our special cable are working nice with Sony 30ES/90ES and 95ES No more ghosting in 3D movies ! Forget about TDG-PJ1 crappy Sony glasses ...

By the way, it's also working as nice with MonsterVision 3D RF dongle and Glasses too...

John

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !
JohnHWman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Rick, or anyone - is there a way to disable the high lamp mode when in 3D?


Not that I know off


congratulation on your new beautyful toy

dj
d.j. is offline  
post #363 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Maybe then he can close the IRIS down all the way (but lose the DI which is a big downside IMO). Or better yet, add a ND filter - but that will be a pain to put on and off for 3D vs 2D. Too bright for 3D? Wow I agree that's a great problem to have!


You cant set the iris in 3D ( its preset on full open - I think )


dj
d.j. is offline  
post #364 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 05 View Post

I think this is the first time I have read of anybody complaining of too bright for 3D.

yea, during my wandering search for a new pj, i gotta say that would be a unique complaint... that would speak well for this unit (at least from my rather uneducated perspective )...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #365 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I just bought a refurb Viewsonic Pro8200 as a holdover projector and to have something to travel with before I get the JVC, talk about too bright, about 1500 lumens.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #366 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

i see your willpower finally broke down...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #367 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Apart from the lamp power control, is there any way you can adjust the output on the Sony like you can with the JVCs? I really like how I can (in the service menu) adjust my HD350 to maintain 95 lux at the screen (12-14fL depending on how you calculate the screen gain) as the lamp ages. I wouldn't want to risk spoiling ANSI contrast by going back to ND filters (too coarse an adjustment anyway).



Kevin and Lovingdvd

Yes, in 2D you can set the iris manuel in steps from 0-100 - but not in 3D

Both the 30 and the 95 you can still access the service menu and adjust the iris


dj
d.j. is offline  
post #368 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

I freaking love this thread! How about some more impressions from the lucky owners? Smittygt, Thrang....I'm talking to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

+1. I was hoping we'd hear more impressions late tonight but apparently the folks who just got theirs are a little busy actually WATCHING it right now. Go figure! Well hopefully they will break away to fill us in.

I'm hoping to hear more about:

- bright corner tests - ANY hits whatsoever (when tested specifically in a pitch black room and studied)?
- lumens / lux readings at long throw
- general impressions of 2D and 3D

Thanks.

I know - I didn't watch at all last night...we redid our family room as well last week, including installing a new Sharp 70" 3D unit (735) and new surround system, so I was busy getting that cleaned up and finished - still have 1/2 a day with that room, so looking toward this afternoon and tonight for the 95 (although I have a birthday party to attend, but...cough..I'm not feeling too well....)
thrang is offline  
post #369 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Last night I tested some off the more "ghosti" things ( Grand Canon and Sammy´s Eventure ) on the 95 and today the same thing on a 30Es ( and just for fun a KDL-65HX923/929 )

And I have to say that I dont think the 95 have less ghosting then the 30 - its about the same and if I had to pick a winner it would be the 30 for least ghosting !
Both had a little ghosting in difficult scenes ( G.C. the photografer in chp 3 and the water bubbles in the start ) ( Sammy´s : chp 3 and the snake in chp 6 1/2 ).
I need the monster glasses

But the 95 is clearly sharper then the 30 and more dynamic

dj
d.j. is offline  
post #370 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Got my 95 yesterday and I have watched 2 movies on it, Cars 2 i 2D and Captain America in 3D. And this PJ is stunning in both 2D and 3D, I only did some fast adjustments on it and it looks stunning out of the box and I can´t wait to get it calibrated. I will test the Monstervision glasses later today and see if they are as good as many users on this forum says...

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Andreas21 is online now  
post #371 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

Last night I tested some off the more "ghosti" things ( Grand Canon and Sammy´s Eventure ) on the 95 and today the same thing on a 30Es ( and just for fun a KDL-65HX923/929 )

And I have to say that I dont think the 95 have less ghosting then the 30 - its about the same and if I had to pick a winner it would be the 30 for least ghosting !
Both had a little ghosting in difficult scenes ( G.C. the photografer in chp 3 and the water bubbles in the start ) ( Sammy´s : chp 3 and the snake in chp 6 1/2 ).
I need the monster glasses

But the 95 is clearly sharper then the 30 and more dynamic

dj

dj - thanks for posting your impressions. I think there are variances between different copies of a lens. My original RS40 was average at best, yet the replacement RS50 I have is exceptional by comparison. The HW30 I have is quite sharp on my 142" @ near minimum throw, i'd be the first to say it looked soft, especially at this size.

'Sammy's adventure' is brutal for showing how well a projector handles crosstalk, it can show it's face in just about any chapter due to the high contrast scenes and especially the colors which seems to bring out ghosting.

regarding the Monster Vision 3D glasses (who knew I was going to start a revolution when I tested these 7 months ago ) - depending on the gain of the screen, I find that the perception of ghosting can vary widely. I have 1.0, 1.3, 2.4 and 2.8 gain screens to test against. By far the ghosting stands out on the 2.8HP screen as seen in the screenshots in my signature. it's likely due to the high brightness. I can tune this to almost non-existence with the MV3D's at the cost of about 10% light through the glasses (compared to the Sony's) but this isn't a problem since I can afford to give up a bit considering how bright it is to begin with.

I watched the 3D Peter Gabriel Concert again last night with the MV3D's and it looks remarkable on the Sony. Maybe it's time to upgrade the HW30 soon to the VW95 based on all the positive experiences so far.

For those interested to see the MV3D's, they are in the middle row on the ends. Sony glasses are in the front. The MV3D's lenses are quite large and easy to use with prescription glasses. IMO, they are more comfortable that the Sony's, they hurt the bridge of my nose for some reason.

zombie10k is online now  
post #372 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 AM
 
AV Science Sales 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Zombie. You have only 5 screens? Darin has 13.
AV Science Sales 4 is offline  
post #373 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Zombie. You have only 5 screens? Darin has 13.

yes.. and which one does he like the best?

one of these days we have to meet up so you can see the big 2.8 in action, you might end up liking it!
zombie10k is online now  
post #374 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 AM
 
AV Science Sales 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am sure I would like it.

And I am only about two hours away from you so all you really have to do is say when and I will be there.
AV Science Sales 4 is offline  
post #375 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

dj - thanks for posting your impressions. I think there are variances between different copies of a lens. My original RS40 was average at best, yet the replacement RS50 I have is exceptional by comparison. The HW30 I have is quite sharp on my 142" @ near minimum throw, i'd be the first to say it looked soft, especially at this size.

'Sammy's adventure' is brutal for showing how well a projector handles crosstalk, it can show it's face in just about any chapter due to the high contrast scenes and especially the colors which seems to bring out ghosting.

regarding the Monster Vision 3D glasses (who knew I was going to start a revolution when I tested these 7 months ago ) - depending on the gain of the screen, I find that the perception of ghosting can vary widely. I have 1.0, 1.3, 2.4 and 2.8 gain screens to test against. By far the ghosting stands out on the 2.8HP screen as seen in the screenshots in my signature. it's likely due to the high brightness. I can tune this to almost non-existence with the MV3D's at the cost of about 10% light through the glasses (compared to the Sony's) but this isn't a problem since I can afford to give up a bit considering how bright it is to begin with.

I watched the 3D Peter Gabriel Concert again last night with the MV3D's and it looks remarkable on the Sony. Maybe it's time to upgrade the HW30 soon to the VW95 based on all the positive experiences so far.

For those interested to see the MV3D's, they are in the middle row on the ends. Sony glasses are in the front. The MV3D's lenses are quite large and easy to use with prescription glasses. IMO, they are more comfortable that the Sony's, they hurt the bridge of my nose for some reason.



zombie10k

Its a little funny/strange that yesterday, when I tested the ghosting, I was trying it both on my 2.8 gain screen and on my 1.3 gain screen and sure it was brighter ( much more ), - I begin to understand your love for high gain screens - on the 2.8 then the 1.3 BUT the ghosting was about the same !! ( off cause it was a darker picture on 1.3 ), so for me, if we shall see the positive in it I dont get more ghosting on the high gain screen, just more light

And yes I will absolutly very much trade 10 % light ( on the high gain screen ) for even more ghostfree image.

BTW did I mention,that I love the lens memory


regards

dj
d.j. is offline  
post #376 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 AM
COE
Member
 
COE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
John
When you insert the converter in the 95, does the built-in IR emitter still work or is it disabled? - I would prefer a wired connection to the RF emitter, but I get two IR glasses with the 95 (I just ordered it - have to wait 2 weeks before receiving it, so I cannot try) - I would love to keep the two IR glasses as spare glasses

Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHWman View Post

Hello Lovingdvd,
The Optoma RF glasses kit compatibility with timing adjustments has just been successfully tested last night with an VW30ES.

For this Optoma dongle, we've been using our "SONY special" cable converter :
SMD (Surface mounted devices) version diagram :


More informations in here (sorry; it's in french ) : http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...5.html#p594708
Thread starting here : http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...er-t34665.html


The Optoma RF dongle + glasses with our special cable are working nice with Sony 30ES/90ES and 95ES No more ghosting in 3D movies ! Forget about TDG-PJ1 crappy Sony glasses ...

By the way, it's also working as nice with MonsterVision 3D RF dongle and Glasses too...

John


---------
COE
Minds are like parachutes - in order to function they must be open
COE is offline  
post #377 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Member
 
smittygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

I freaking love this thread! How about some more impressions from the lucky owners? Smittygt, Thrang....I'm talking to you



Sorry My ISP just came back up this morning.

I'm sort of relunctent to give any detailed impressions, due to the fact the conditions are far less than optimal for using the projector. My Dedicated HT is about to be painted, then carpet goes in in about two weeks.

The conditions are, I put my screen frame together, and put up a beige ( i know, but it's all I have right now) King sized sheet in place of my screen material. The PJ (95) is sitting approximately 14 feet on a desk (for now) from a 120+_ screen.

Again, until i can get my room completed, and mount this thing, this is the best i can do. But here goes:

I've used various 2D blu ray material over the past few days.
I still need to get me a few 3D movies, but I have sampled some DirectV 3D content, and some Downloaded PS3 3D content as well.

I appologize, in advance, for my lack of professional terminology, however, Overall, even on the beige bed sheet, Wow, the 2D image is reallly incredible. I cannot get over how good this looks even under these conditions. I was reallly really worried about 1k lumens spec on the 95, not anymore. I really believe in our dedicated (fully dark) room it is going to be spectacular. I called my wife in after I got it set up against the wall, all she could say was, Wow, that looks good!

Previously, i've owned 3 Projectors: Epson 1080UB, Epson 8700, and and Old 720p Sony many years ago, and as you can imagine, none of these can even compare to this machine. I demoed the Sony 30ES, and I've seen approximately an hour and a half of a Mits 9000. Sorry, I have limited experience, and none with 3D, other than in various theaters.

I don't currently have the ability to watch a full movie on it yet, for reasons previously mentioned, but from what i have seen of the 95, my wife and I are terribly excited / hungry for more.

As far as 3D, which is why I bought this PJ, I was shocked to find the image was not as dark as I had feared. After reading the entire VW90 thread, I was really worried about brightness. I fiddled with various settings, and will get some advice from all the experts on where to put the settings, but overall, i am very happy with what I see. Another thing that struck me during 3D content, was how good the colors were, even through the glasses.

Something else I noticed, was how smooth the motion scenes were in 3D. This was really cool to watch a fast moving scene, with the image still in tact and not break into a bunch of moving pixels. This was another big reason I got the sony instead of others.

Something I was disapointed in, not the 95, was that DirecTV 3D that is SD looks really bad. It is not even worth having if it is going to be this bad, why even broadcast that crap. Wife and I watched some ESPN 3D College football this friday, now that was awsome. Gonna be watching the LSU / bama game tonight on it (not in 3D).

I mentioned previously in another post how quiet the 95es is, and I still stand by that. Both previous Epsons I have owned, I could hear the Iris working in the PJ, not the sony. While previewing and messing with the settings, I would intentionally change from high to low lamp mode and different picture settings and could not hear the iris. Take it for what it's worth, this is really a quiet PJ to my ears.

I firmly beileive that if the MVmax glasses take care of ghosting, and add a little brightness, then this will be THE projector in this price range.

Again, I appologize for the lack of specific, professional terminology, as well as poor operating conditions, but I am "GIDDY" with anticipation from what I have seen both 2D and 3D.

As far as ghosting, yes, I saw some, but my glasses were turned to max brightness, but even then I had to really look for it. When I turned the glasses brightness down 1 notch, the ghosting went away. I really need to demo some 1080p material. Gonna bite the bullett and pay the 35.99 for a couple, even though I swore I wouldnt!

Now back to work on the HT room.

Alan
smittygt is offline  
post #378 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 92
We are planning a Toy Story 3D marathon with the nieces tonight. I plan to have as much fun as they do.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is offline  
post #379 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittygt View Post

I firmly beileive that if the MVmax glasses take care of ghosting, and add a little brightness, then this will be THE projector in this price range.

So others are aware, the MV3D tuning I was able to do to reduce the ghosting to minimal on the Sony does not work on the JVC RS40 or RS50 with the slower panels. I am interested to know how the 55/65 have improved, if any, vs the current models since they are still using the slower panels.

IMO, the Sony + MV3D is a unique combo that gets about close to DLP ghost free 3D as possible. I heard the tuning doesn't work well for the Panasonic 7000 either, so there may be some unique synergy between the Sony and the RF glasses.

Kraine's french forum is lit up with lots of discussion regarding the benefits of the MV3D's on the HW30 and VW95.
zombie10k is online now  
post #380 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Member
 
smittygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

So others are aware, the MV3D tuning I was able to do to reduce the ghosting to minimal on the Sony does not work on the JVC RS40 or RS50 with the slower panels. I am interested to know how the 55/65 have improved, if any, vs the current models since they are still using the slower panels.

IMO, the Sony + MV3D is a unique combo that gets about close to DLP ghost free 3D as possible. I heard the tuning doesn't work well for the Panasonic 7000 either, so there may be some unique synergy between the Sony and the RF glasses.

Kraine's french forum is lit up with lots of discussion regarding the benefits of the MV3D's on the HW30 and VW95.

Makes me even more confident I made the correct decision in buying the 95. Now to find the best (cheapest) place to buy the MV glasses.

Alan
smittygt is offline  
post #381 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

So others are aware, the MV3D tuning I was able to do to reduce the ghosting to minimal on the Sony does not work on the JVC RS40 or RS50 with the slower panels. I am interested to know how the 55/65 have improved, if any, vs the current models since they are still using the slower panels.

IMO, the Sony + MV3D is a unique combo that gets about close to DLP ghost free 3D as possible. I heard the tuning doesn't work well for the Panasonic 7000 either, so there may be some unique synergy between the Sony and the RF glasses.

Kraine's french forum is lit up with lots of discussion regarding the benefits of the MV3D's on the HW30 and VW95.

In summary, what was the tweak you did to the glasses? Did you change the duty cycle or the other one (forgot what it is called) or both? And are you using the IR/RF transmitter-receiver or are you using the VESA cable (I ask because according to the Monster manual more fine tuning may be necessary when using the cable).
lovingdvd is offline  
post #382 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RickAVManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just want to let everybody know that I regulary update the first post of this thread with lastest settings, tips, reviews. user first impressions and others things...

If someone feel theres info that should appear on the first page please let me know.
RickAVManiac is online now  
post #383 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Just want to let everybody know that I regulary update the first post of this thread with lastest settings, tips, reviews. user first impressions and others things...

If someone feel theres info that should appear on the first page please let me know.

Nice job Rick. Maybe add a summary of people's reported lumens?
lovingdvd is offline  
post #384 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RickAVManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Nice job Rick. Maybe add a summary of people's reported lumens?

Good idea. Wil do it.
RickAVManiac is online now  
post #385 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

In summary, what was the tweak you did to the glasses? Did you change the duty cycle or the other one (forgot what it is called) or both? And are you using the IR/RF transmitter-receiver or are you using the VESA cable (I ask because according to the Monster manual more fine tuning may be necessary when using the cable).

I changed both, I did this manually until I found the perfect combo. It only took a few minutes of playing around to know the best setting. Others on the HW30 thread posted their settings using the PC program that can adjust the settings on the RF device.

from the translation of the thread on Kraine's site, it sounds like the tuning is the same on the IR vs. the hard wired connection. That is great that they found the breakout connections of the RJ45 -> RF transmitter. I might just give it a shot for the heck of it. I use the IR receiver with the Sony emitter and it works fine, this way I can use all the glasses at the same time.
zombie10k is online now  
post #386 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Can anyone post their settings with the Monstervision glasses? I tried them out today and I can not get them better than the Sony glasses, I actually never even get them close to the Sonys. They show horrible ghosting, and the Sonys show almost no ghosting at all...

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Andreas21 is online now  
post #387 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

Can anyone post their settings with the Monstervision glasses? I tried them out today and I can not get them better than the Sony glasses, I actually never even get them close to the Sonys. They show horrible ghosting, and the Sonys show almost no ghosting at all...

Playing with these controls on my Samsung just created a giant mess when I tried it a few weeks ago. I went back to the defaults but a little brighter. I can change the brightness but if I try the other setting it goes south in a hurray.

What's the trick to adjusting these and finding the best combo of the two settings?
lovingdvd is offline  
post #388 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 130
just to be sure....these Optoma's

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-Technol...0554327&sr=8-7

are the ones that will work with the Monster emitter?...they're much less costly than the Monster stand alones (if you can find them...) - that's why I want to make sure...
thrang is offline  
post #389 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm trying to verify the vertical lens shift is sufficient and if so, to what extent I'll have to use it.

I have a 92" w x 52" h screen. The top of the screen is just 6" from the ceiling. And the center of the ceiling mounted lens is about 4" from the ceiling. Or to put it another way, when ceiling mounted my lens is about 2 inches above the top of the screen.

The manual on page 23 states this:
Quote:


The picture projected on the screen moves up or down by a maximum of 65% of the screen height from the center of the lens.

So this means in my case that the image can be shifted down by up to 34" (65% of 52" height).

So without any shift at all when ceiling mounted, the center of my image will be 2" above the screen, and the bottom of the image will be 28" above the bottom of my screen (52" height of screen / 2 = 26" for bottom half of image, shifted up 2 inches higher since the lens is 2" above the screen = 28" from bottom of screen).

So I will have to shift the image down 28", and I have up to 34" to do so. Which means that a) The VW95 has enough vertical shift for my setup, and b) I'll be using approximately 82% of the vertical shift range (28/34) which is a considerable amount, but not extreme enough to worry about it introducing weird things that can happen with CA or MC when shift is used near the maximum, and c) for my screen size the maximum the lens can be mounted above the top of the screen is 8".

Am I thinking about this right and do you agree with the above conclusions? Thanks!
lovingdvd is offline  
post #390 of 3582 Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

just to be sure....these Optoma's

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-Technol...0554327&sr=8-7

are the ones that will work with the Monster emitter?...they're much less costly than the Monster stand alones (if you can find them...) - that's why I want to make sure...

Yes, 100.000% sure. It will work - no worries!
lovingdvd is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off