Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
See answers in bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

RickAVManiac - thanks for the great impressions!

So are you keeping the VW95 and no longer looking for a better projector for the short term?

Exactly

If so I think that is the ultimate complement to the VW95, considering your quest for the best pj you can reasonably get on today's market.

It's not the best in every thing but the best overall for my taste

I have a RS20 and am very satisfied with the black level and fade to black. I have never seen the later generation models like the RS40 or later, so I cannot judge when you say the VW95 has black equivalent to the RS40.

Are you familiar with the black level in the RS20? If so, how does the VW95 black level compare to the RS20? If the VW95 is at least the same black level, then I will be satisfied with the VW95 especially given all its other advantages. I just don't want to take a step DOWN in terms of black level - that is my concern.

Black level will be slightly better on the RS20 (I have own a rs20)

Is it possible for you to measure your ftL from the longest throw? Many of us are looking for that reference point. We have the data for shortest throw, but need the longest throw so many of use can judge what brightness to expect before making a purchase decision.

I will do that today

How does your convergence look with a single pixel grid like the one on the HD 709 calibration disc? Was it necessary to use the convergence fine tuning?

No perfect but close enough. I did not make any adjustment. Yeah that good !

Did you do any viewing with the auto-iris and if so what are your impressions of it? Kraine and someone else I believe said they do not find it necessary to use. I would be surprised if I didn't use it - its perfected to the point where I would think it would only help and not distract.

The auto iris is invisible and noise free. The best on the market

You mention that the real strenght of the VW95 is for TV, sports, discovery channel, etc - that is exactly what I was expecting. Since I mostly watch that type of material I am giving the VW95 priority in this year's purchase decision.

However, I do occasionally watch dark movies. I just want to be sure that when I do, the blacks and contrast is still very acceptable and at least just as good as my RS20. My guess is that it would be. So if I can get the RS20 level of performance for dark movies, plus an exceptionally better level of performance with all other material I think I would be very happy with the VW95. That do you think? Thanks!

You would have to take a small drop in black level compare to the rs20 but if you do not plan a side by side comparasion, you may not notice it at all... On every other aspect, the upgrade will be worth it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rick or Joe -

Any comments regarding the lens memory feature? Rick, you mentioned briefly owing an AE7000, can you compare how the lens memory feature works on the 95 vs. the 7k as far as speed and ease of use, etc?
post #33 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Rick or Joe -

Any comments regarding the lens memory feature? Rick, you mentioned briefly owing an AE7000, can you compare how the lens memory feature works on the 95 vs. the 7k as far as speed and ease of use, etc?

I did not take the time to test this function, but will do soon...
post #34 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Rick or Joe -

This is an excellent question. I would like to know this as well. Though I am assuming that since the sony has all electronic lens shift and zoom that it will have a much larger range than the panasonic since it technically should be able to adjust just as much as it would normally. The way the manual reads, is if you set it up for a 2.35:1 image, you should have no problems with the 16:9 image.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I watch a couple more 3D clip today and I still stand behind my initial impression. Wow, the 3D is gorgeous... The ghosting is equal to the HW30. Thats mean really minimal. I just order the Monster 3D Glasses to see if they can do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Ok here my impressions so far...

First, I am no expert, so it's only a personal opinion base on my specific taste and specific setup. Also, I am a french canadian, sorry for my english.

For reference, my last projector was :
- Panasonic PT-AE7000 (2 weeks only, sold but still in my room)
- Sony HW30 (Buy in September and sold, last week)
- JVC RS40 (Buy in May and sold 1 months ago)

Yeah, I know, I change often but I was seeking for a excellent 2D and 3D projector. I know DLP make good 3D but my goal and setup was really to use only one projector. DLP 3D projector can be hard to setup in my room and base on what is available right now, the 2D performance is not up to my taste.

Also, I would say up front that I will not talk about the Panasonic, I've been so disappointed with this projector, I will have to put my flame suite ON just to talk about it. So, my impression will compare only with the Sony HW30 and the RS40.

Positives :

- Sharpness freak...Meet your god. Wow this beast is sharp and clear. Sharper than the rs40 and the hw30. If you like to watch TV, sports, discovery channel kind of things, you will fall in love with the Sony 95. Every bit of detail is there. Of course blu ray film too are crystal but the biggest difference is perceived in high details programs.

- Image dynamic. Thats the major point I wish to upgrade on my HW30. The Sony HW30 is a great projector but the image dynamic on low light scene was not up to my taste. Problem solve with the Sony 95!

- Black level is very good. Better than the HW30 and equal to the RS40

- Grayscale and color "out of the box" is almost perfect

- The CMS works. No bugs. I repeat the CMS works. "What? A working CMS on a projector? Are you kidding me?" Yes, one last time : THE CMS WORKS !!!

- Image uniformity. No bright corner

- Motion is very good and excellent FI. Beat the rs40 easily.

- The best 3D projector I've seen! It's NOT perfect far from it, but it is awesome. For me, the HW30 was the best 3D so fare. The Sony 95 bring almost all the good of the HW30 : Pop-up, depth, good luminosity and vivid color. Also, the 95 bring is strength to the table : Image clarity, sharpness, dynamic and contrast. The image look way more natural, more dynamic and more 3D... So overall more convincing.

- Cannot explain technically why, but this is the less eye/brain fatigue 3D projector I've seen. Maybe related to the natural / sharp look, you dont have to force your vision or something like that... I dont know...

- The build-in 3D emitter is very strong and effective. Better than the HW30.

Negatives :

- Black level. Although the black level can compete with the best projector, it's not the best. The RS50 had better black in very low light scene. *By no mean this is a deal breaker. The black of the 95 are excellent and after reaching this kind of black, I am seeking for other advantages in a projector.

- 3D brightness. Could always be better. In my setup the HW30 was about 10% brighter. For now, the lamp is new so no problem (cannot really see the difference) but I have concern over time...

- 3D ghosting. Still present on the 95, you can spot ghosting here and there. By no mean it's a deal breaker but this machine will be incredible if the ghosting could be tame down (Maybe Monster glasses?)

That's it for now... Dont forget, first impression tend to change as we get use to the projector but so far I am very impress by the Sony 95.

post #36 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is msrp of this machine?
post #37 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

What is msrp of this machine?

6999$ but can be buy for way less than that. I suggest you call AVS they have a good deal on it...
post #38 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

See answers in bold...

Quote:

Is it possible for you to measure your ftL from the longest throw? Many of us are looking for that reference point. We have the data for shortest throw, but need the longest throw so many of use can judge what brightness to expect before making a purchase decision.

I will do that today

Great, thank you so much. I am so curious to hear the results! My guess is that longest throw will be 23% dimmer than shortest. Please remeasure your shortest as well to account for any drop in the first x hours of the bulb, which could be substantial. This way we'll have at x hours a mark for shortest and longest throw.

Quote:

You would have to take a small drop in black level compare to the rs20 but if you do not plan a side by side comparison, you may not notice it at all... On every other aspect, the upgrade will be worth it!

Thanks. I am very sensitive to the black level so I suppose I probably will notice it. But at the same time I am also a sharpness freak and have always been wanting more sharpness with my RS1 and RS20.

Likewise I'm addicted to great motion handling thanks to my Samsung plasma, so I definitely want Sony's advantages there. Couple that with the fact that I mostly am watching TV, sports, video (discovery channel etc) and bright movies (with the kids etc) the Sony seems like a great fit. I just hope I don't miss the blacks too much on those occasions where I do watch a dark movie.

I appreciate the comparisons to the RS20 and its great you had one so you know the differences. On a overall scale of 1-10, what would you give the Sony and what would you give the RS20? This will help give me an idea of your opinion on how much better the Sony is.

Thanks!
post #39 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

This is an excellent question. I would like to know this as well. Though I am assuming that since the sony has all electronic lens shift and zoom that it will have a much larger range than the panasonic since it technically should be able to adjust just as much as it would normally. The way the manual reads, is if you set it up for a 2.35:1 image, you should have no problems with the 16:9 image.

I wish this were true. As with my setup I can easily get a 2.35 image, but I'm to far for a 16X9 image.

I tried it on the calculator floating around the forum.

at 21.5 throw I am ~ 3/4 to closest throw for 2.35:1 150" wide 64" height

but 1.5 feet to far away for 16X9 64" height

So its a no go with the Sony for me, as the JVC according to the same site has significantly more throw range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #40 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hey Rick, given how picky you have been with your projectors, this statement seems quite a testimony to the W95:

"So are you keeping the VW95 and no longer looking for a better projector for the short term?

Exactly"

I hope you can resist the temptation of buying the RS55 and doing a direct shootout yourself
post #41 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I am very sensitive to the black level so I suppose I probably will notice it. But at the same time I am also a sharpness freak and have always been wanting more sharpness with my RS1 and RS20.

Likewise I'm addicted to great motion handling thanks to my Samsung plasma, so I definitely want Sony's advantages there. Couple that with the fact that I mostly am watching TV, sports, video (discovery channel etc) and bright movies (with the kids etc) the Sony seems like a great fit. I just hope I don't miss the blacks too much on those occasions where I do watch a dark movie.

I'm in the same boat as you lovingdvd...
I'm thinking about the VW95, RS55 or a dual projector system with a RS-45 and a HC7800... Using HC7800 to TV, sports, video and 3d and movies with RS-45...

[]s Humberto
post #42 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

I watch a couple more 3D clip today and I still stand behind my initial impression. Wow, the 3D is gorgeous... The ghosting is equal to the HW30. Thats mean really minimal. I just order the Monster 3D Glasses to see if they can do better.

rick - offline, i'd like to hear your comments on the 7000. it's great that you've had the HW30, RS40, etc to know first hand how they compare against the VW95. I use my RS50 if I am watching a really dark movie like underworld, etc but use the HW30 for everything else.

I recently calibrated my HW30 and watched 'blade' and thought it handled mixed contrast and dark scenes very well in comparison to the RS50, the VW95 should be that much better.

Hopefully you like the Monster Vision 3D glasses as much as I do, there must be something unique with the 240hz panels in the Sony where I can tune out 99% of the visible ghosting. This doesn't work on the 120hz RS40/RS50 (i've tried this first hand to try and reduce the ghosting on the JVC's) nor the Panasonic from what I understand.

The Sony panels + 3D FI + the MV3D's are about as good as it gets imo vs. a faster panel DLP solution. I watched a 3D Concert last night of Peter Gabriel and the new Blood Orchestra - it looked excellent on the Sony.

good luck with your new projector.

post #43 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Working hard on the finishing touches. I actually have two 95s here! Either later tonite or sometime tomorrow I will be posting. If you are hesitating about the 95. ..

DON'T!!!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #44 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Bring it on! :-)
Chosen likes this.
post #45 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I wish this were true. As with my setup I can easily get a 2.35 image, but I'm to far for a 16X9 image.

I tried it on the calculator floating around the forum.

at 21.5 throw I am ~ 3/4 to closest throw for 2.35:1 150" wide 64" height

but 1.5 feet to far away for 16X9 64" height

So its a no go with the Sony for me, as the JVC according to the same site has significantly more throw range.

i wasn't referring to issues with throw and zoom. That is something anyone can determine by just using a projector calculator. I think the original question was more of what deficiencies there are (if any) with lens memory. On the panny, there were limitations of actual projector placement vertically and horizontally that were pretty extreme due to the fact that the lens shift is manual. There is only a small amount of wiggle room that can be adjusted digitally on the Panny. Where on the Sony, everything can be adjusted like it would normally when setting up initially. Sure you have to determine if both sizes will fit at your throw distance with/without zoom, but you still have all of the same projector placement capabilities as you would for a normal mounting calculation.

For me this isn't a big issue. At the closest throw, if I am zoomed in and can fill the scope sceen, then zooming out will automatically be able to fill my 16:9 screen. In your case, yes, the JVC will provide a bigger throw range since it has a 2x zoom vs a 1.6x zoom.

post #46 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great, thank you so much. I am so curious to hear the results! My guess is that longest throw will be 23% dimmer than shortest. Please remeasure your shortest as well to account for any drop in the first x hours of the bulb, which could be substantial. This way we'll have at x hours a mark for shortest and longest throw.

I appreciate the comparisons to the RS20 and its great you had one so you know the differences. On a overall scale of 1-10, what would you give the Sony and what would you give the RS20? This will help give me an idea of your opinion on how much better the Sony is.

Thanks!

Base on what you watch, you will fall in love with the Sony

As for the black level, dont worry. I just check the beginning of Star Wars Ep. 3 and the black is fantastic. The image dynamic is just amazing. The Sony 95 is very good at showing detail in dark area. Since the graysacle are calibrate out of the box, you get the best right away!

One thing that is great, the Sony 95 seem to be high quality and accomplish product. Out of the box grayscale, color, covergence and a working CMS are as good as they can be. Congrats to Sony on this one.
post #47 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post

Hey Rick, given how picky you have been with your projectors, this statement seems quite a testimony to the W95:

"So are you keeping the VW95 and no longer looking for a better projector for the short term?

Exactly"

I hope you can resist the temptation of buying the RS55 and doing a direct shootout yourself

Every projectors I bought in the last 2 years never pass 2 days of "blind" satisfactions. At first they were good but after a series of test I found something I really dont like... And begin to look elsewhere.

I received my Sony 95 on Thursday, so 4 days later and I am still amaze
post #48 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 PM

So what things on it DONT you like? There has got to be something (other than the black level)...
post #49 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

"As for the black level, dont worry. I just check the beginning of Star Wars Ep. 3 and the black is fantastic. The image dynamic is just amazing. The Sony 95 is very good at showing detail in dark area. Since the graysacle are calibrate out of the box, you get the best right away!"

Rick, is majority of your movie testing with DI off? Was it on or off when you tested the Star Wars scene?

BTW, I have a Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma display which likely spoiled me when it comes to black level (and accuracy in general). I hope the Sony is close enough.
post #50 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post

"As for the black level, dont worry. I just check the beginning of Star Wars Ep. 3 and the black is fantastic. The image dynamic is just amazing. The Sony 95 is very good at showing detail in dark area. Since the graysacle are calibrate out of the box, you get the best right away!"

Rick, is majority of your movie testing with DI off? Was it on or off when you tested the Star Wars scene?

BTW, I have a Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma display which likely spoiled me when it comes to black level (and accuracy in general). I hope the Sony is close enough.

On that specific test, I use the dynamic iris on.
post #51 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

So what things on it DONT you like? There has got to be something (other than the black level)...

Read the "negatives" section of my review here : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21148342
post #52 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Working hard on the finishing touches. I actually have two 95s here! Either later tonite or sometime tomorrow I will be posting. If you are hesitating about the 95. ..

DON'T!!!

Two of them? Hahaha wow! Awesome!! Thanks for your work JoeRod. We all appreciate it (and RickAVManiac's work too of course).

I also want to mention to lovingdvd that I love great contrast and black levels, as I currently have a Pioneer Kuro, and based on what I've been seeing and reading I highly doubt you will notice a difference in blacks between the VW95 and the RS20. If you do, it will be so minimal that it really won't make a difference when viewing normal material (movies, hdtv, sports). Rick mentioned the blacks of the 95 are equal to the RS40 and that is really good enough IMO. What everybody should look at is getting a well-rounded projector with no big minuses and the 95 fits the bill for sure.
post #53 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Base on what you watch, you will fall in love with the Sony

As for the black level, dont worry. I just check the beginning of Star Wars Ep. 3 and the black is fantastic. The image dynamic is just amazing. The Sony 95 is very good at showing detail in dark area. Since the graysacle are calibrate out of the box, you get the best right away!

One thing that is great, the Sony 95 seem to be high quality and accomplish product. Out of the box grayscale, color, covergence and a working CMS are as good as they can be. Congrats to Sony on this one.

Excellent. So far it is passing in the critical areas I have concerns about, based on feedback from you and Kraine:

- Lumens (acceptable, pending your findings on light loss at longest throw - very anxious to hear about this)

- Black level (acceptable)

- Sharpness (outstanding)

- Bright corners (outstanding)

- Convergence (outstanding)

- 3D quality (excellent - some minor occasional ghosting and could be brighter)

- Motion (outstanding)

- Calibration (outstanding out of the box, outstanding controls/CMS)

- Needed: Measurements on ANSI CR, ON/OFF CR with DI on and off (something seemed off with Kraine's numbers here and I do not think we got clarification), lumens at longest throw (coming soon from Rick)

- What have I left out of the list?

It will be interesting to read Joerod's review so we can see what areas he reinforces or opposes the previous findings as the picture begins to get filled in (no pun intended - ha!).
post #54 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anyone mind taking a shot a screen matching with this PJ?

120" diag 16:9
Total light controlled environment, although some low lighting at times will probably be used.
90% 2D, 10% 3D
Throw can be 12'5 to 15'

When i use coderguys calculator i dont see how getting acceptable 2D FL while also getting acceptable 3D FL (it shows about 5-7FL if i recall)

i wouldnt mind a HP screen i suppose, this is for me - so viewing cone be damned
if it will give me more pop, and plasma ish look great.

this will be the next step in the process for many so your thoughts? (if this shouldnt be in this thread, pls feel fee to remove it!)
post #55 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi,RickAVManiac
I am very serious in getting the Sony 95ES.
Is the black level the same compared with JVC RS40?
If yes, i will be more than happy.

Thanks
post #56 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post

Hi,RickAVManiac
I am very serious in getting the Sony 95ES.
Is the black level the same compared with JVC RS40?
If yes, i will be more than happy.

Thanks

on page 1 of this thread,

RickAVmaniac posted his impressions of the 95, and said...

"- Black level is very good. Better than the HW30 and equal to the RS40"

go back 1 page at the bottom and read what he said.

Alan
post #57 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi,
Sorry,i was missed that.
Thanks
post #58 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 03:11 PM

RickAVManiac, I have a VW85 with HP 110 inch... Not sure how much 3D I will watch. Will I notice a big difference with 2D? If so, what would be the major differences
?

Viper
post #59 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
@Wondercarrot, a lot of people aren't as bothered by a little dimmer 3D mode than 2D, but some gain will be helpful for 3D, and this PJ has an IRIS so you should be able to get it dark enough for 2D even with a brighter 3D mode.

@Others
This does sound like the PJ to get so far based on preliminary comparisons, but it is quite a bit pricier than the lower-end JVC's. I can't imagine anyone being dissapointed in the black levels at the Sony vw95's capabilities.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #60 of 3585 Old 10-31-2011, 03:22 PM

I was hoping it would exceed the RS40 and be close to the RS50 in black level based on the published contrast and taking into account that the numbers are likely inflated somewhat. Oh well, still sounds excellent.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page