Official Sony VPL-VW95ES Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #811 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
OK. I am guessing his room is 18 ft deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1953 View Post

Not much of a view from that second row!

I was thinking if he can get 17' into a 16' room, he could build me a pair of pants with a 32" waist.
post #813 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There is very little going on in this thread for some reason. Is the picture so good that the owners don't even want to go online and post something? Personally, I'm waiting for the RS45 and 55 to start shipping so we can get some comparisons between them and the Sony 95.
post #814 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

There is very little going on in this thread for some reason. Is the picture so good that the owners don't even want to go online and post something? Personally, I'm waiting for the RS45 and 55 to start shipping so we can get some comparisons between them and the Sony 95.

I would think

a) most are extremely pleased with the 95 and are enjoying it.
b) no real issues - a lot of these threads grow long because there are one or more problems that need airing out - the Sony really doesn't have any, and it's not overly complicated to use, unlike a sophisticated AVR that prompts lots of dialog
c) people are still waiting for theirs!

I've been spending a lot of time working with and learning the Lumagen Mini 3D and Chromapure to get some pretty incredible off screen results (thanks to Ric for all his help and patience)
post #815 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Personally, I'm waiting for the RS45 and 55 to start shipping so we can get some comparisons between them and the Sony 95.

I'm right there with you! I've had a RS1, and now a RS20, but very interested in a Sony for an upgrade this yr. But really do want to hear how the 95 compares head-to-head with the RS55.
post #816 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am interested to hear more about the sony's lens memory feature, since this feature is very important to me. One member reports the lens memory being inaccurate, needing manual adjustment when changing AR. This would make the feature a lot less interesting...the same membre also says the lens memory is a lot more accurate on the Panasonic...

Any owner using lens memory could comment on the accuracy of this feature? does it need manual adjustment after every AR change???

Stef
post #817 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I'm right there with you! I've had a RS1, and now a RS20, but very interested in a Sony for an upgrade this yr. But really do want to hear how the 95 compares head-to-head with the RS55.

You are a patient man, which is not my strong suit! I too have the RS20 and have become so distracted with the motion issues that I had to jump on the 95. I am fairly convinced by the reports thus far that the sony will have less if not minimal blur compared to the 55, and that if A/B the 55 will better the 95. I am not that convinced thought that without A/B viewing the black/contrast will be noticebly different in that real world viewing will be less than very satisfactory with each projector. If the improved ANSI and possibly a sharper picture on the 95 improve PQ then even better. The 4K lite advantage of the 55 may well prove the better pj for close viewing distances though. Should the 55 really trounce the 95 in all those areas then I'm sure I can find someone interested in a lightly used 95
post #818 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

You are a patient man ...

Probably just older (though I doubt wiser), but that of course shouldn't make me more patient since I have less available time to wait than you!
post #819 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just ordered my unit , but it won't arrive till sometime in December . What projector mount do are people using? My ceiling in my dedicated room is 9 foot.
post #820 of 3608 Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Guys, I've been keeping an eye out as I've been anticipating X104/Youniversal glasses for ages now but AVForum UK has done a review. Sounds very positive re lack of color tint. Unfort no direct comp vs the MV 3D's as I was really hoping for. Still a pretty complete and early review. So far I've only seen one UK based AV store promoting stock on their site.

Here's the AVForum UK review: http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Xpan...es-Review.html

post #821 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

Fellows, my projector is to arrive today and im totally fired up...

I've got a similar setup with a 66" high HP screen (mine is cinemascope and older material but same height). I'm temporarily set up right now with a shelf mount at 58" off the floor, so not much different from what you're looking at.

With a placement of about 20" above the first row eye level and a couple feet behind, on a solid background you will notice that the bottom of the screen looks a bit brighter than the top of the screen. This is quite subtle, and while watching a movie is unnoticeable.

Outside seats in the front row (if you have say a row of four) will also be able to see a brightness difference between the near side and the far side of the screen. Not a unique problem to the HP by any means.

In the back row, these changes will be more subtle.
post #822 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Guys, I've been keeping an eye out as I've been anticipating X104/Youniversal glasses for ages now but AVForum UK has done a review. Sounds very positive re lack of color tint. Unfort no direct comp vs the MV 3D's as I was really hoping for. Still a pretty complete and early review. So far I've only seen one UK based AV store promoting stock on their site.

Here's the AVForum UK review: http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Xpan...es-Review.html

The review mentions support for RF coming soon. I wonder if that means you could technically use the MonsterVision IR to RF emitter with the Xpand 104 glasses...? Sounds like it will not have its own IR/RF like the MonsterVision.
post #823 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I would be a little surprised if the MV3D's proprietary RF transmitter would be able to 'talk' to the Xpand glasses. In my setup where the factory IR now works perfectly with both factory glasses and the X103's, I' m just keen to get some X104's to test in IR mode. I've actually emailed the one UK dealer that quotes having stock to see if they will send them all they to me over here, since in over a week no other sources have turned up via search.

post #824 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

I am interested to hear more about the sony's lens memory feature, since this feature is very important to me. One member reports the lens memory being inaccurate, needing manual adjustment when changing AR. This would make the feature a lot less interesting...the same membre also says the lens memory is a lot more accurate on the Panasonic...

Any owner using lens memory could comment on the accuracy of this feature? does it need manual adjustment after every AR change???

I can personally verify that it does not work 100%. Saying "does not work" does sound very harsh, so let me break it down a bit. It can record up to 5 positions. This involves zoom, vertical shift, and horizontal shift. Every time you adjust it from one location to another, the location does not end up exactly where you had initially set it. It is off by a few tics. (but tics i mean the very small adjustment tics in each of the 3 settings.. they are audible) From what I can tell, it looks like this is with the veritcal lens shift and it always appears about 3-5 ticks below where it should be. I don't know if it is always the same amount (In which case a firmware could fix it maybe) but I have to re-adjust it every couple of times I am using the lens memory feature or the picture starts to drift off of the screen. It is about a 95% working feature. It gets you "almost" there every time, but the more you use it, the more off it will be.

So far, this is the only problem at all that I have with the projector. The brightness, picture quality, blacks, sharpness, etc.... all great. Just the lens memory needs a fix and I am planning on calling Sony about it.
post #825 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what you guys think that's going to be a problem fitting my 17' room into my 16' space - clearly you didnt realize that ive created a localized black hole in my basement and am running time/space folding experiments.

yeah, that was a typo lol. it is 18', ive gone back and corrected it...

thanks Fat Dave!
ill have to fiddle around a bit, see if i can find a sweet spot.
how do you find the image in general? i know it gets described as a plasma ish look effect - but how would you characterize it and would you do it again if you were searching for a new screen? (assuming it wsnt a necessity but simply for the type of image you get.)

cheers
post #826 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

I've got a similar setup with a 66" high HP screen (mine is cinemascope and older material but same height). I'm temporarily set up right now with a shelf mount at 58" off the floor, so not much different from what you're looking at.

With a placement of about 20" above the first row eye level and a couple feet behind, on a solid background you will notice that the bottom of the screen looks a bit brighter than the top of the screen. This is quite subtle, and while watching a movie is unnoticeable.

Outside seats in the front row (if you have say a row of four) will also be able to see a brightness difference between the near side and the far side of the screen. Not a unique problem to the HP by any means.

In the back row, these changes will be more subtle.

why in the world would you buy a pj and a screen if your only doing 66 inches? Why not buy a sony or sammy LED 65 and call it a day.
post #827 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

why in the world would you buy a pj and a screen if your only doing 66 inches? Why not buy a sony or sammy LED 65 and call it a day.

He said 66" high (height) which is about 170" diagonal for a scope screen.
post #828 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

it looks like he said 66 inches high which would be about 135" diag if it's a 16:9 screen or 170 diag if 2:35:1
post #829 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM

What "exactly" has Sony done to fix the horrible ghosting which the VW90ES seemed to have. I had one of the Sony VW90ES projectors and loved the 2D quality better than JVC...But I sold it due to ghosting. I'm afraid to try the Sony VW95ES without some concrete owner confirmations.
post #830 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

What "exactly" has Sony done to fix the horrible ghosting which the VW90ES seemed to have. I had one of the Sony VW90ES projectors and loved the 2D quality better than JVC...But I sold it due to ghosting. I'm afraid to try the Sony VW95ES without some concrete owner confirmations.

I'm not certain what they did, but reports are it is the exact same as the HW30 in 3d, though a little less bright. So if you could demo, or read reports on 3d with the HW30 the information should apply to the 95 as well.
post #831 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

read through the thread, there's a number of experienced projector owners (RickAV, Thrang) who are posting positive 3D results on the 95.

I have the HW30 and the ghosting is minimal and almost non-existent with the Monster Vision 3D glasses.

what movies / scenes do you recall the ghosting? I have them all so I can check if you want specifics.

Edit: check the link in my signature for some interesting observations.
post #832 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Dogone

They implanted a new lamp technic, where the lamp is "boosted" when the glasses is open ( giving more light, wich the 90ES needed a lot ) and the lamp is dimmed, when the glasses is closed ( minimizing the ghosting ) - dos it work ? oh yeaaa very good endeed, there is very minimal ghosting now in the 95 ( about same level as the 30ES ) and thats is with the Sony glasses - zoombie10k and others are getting even better results with the Monster glasses ( wich I soon will recieve from AVS )

The 2D is about the same ( very ) good quality as the 90ES - so if you liked the 90ES ( - 3D ), you gona love the 95ES

And yes, I owned the 90ES first ( and liked it very much, except the 3D dimness and ghosting ) and have now the 95ES and do like it even more ( and 3D brightness is a lot better/higher and ghosting a lot lesser ).

Hope that gives you the confirmations you need !?

regards

dj
post #833 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

thanks Fat Dave!
ill have to fiddle around a bit, see if i can find a sweet spot.
how do you find the image in general? i know it gets described as a plasma ish look effect - but how would you characterize it and would you do it again if you were searching for a new screen? (assuming it wsnt a necessity but simply for the type of image you get.)

cheers

The picture is BRILLIANT - I LOVE that screen, and haven't for a minute wished that I'd bought something else. I still haven't found a screen I'd replace it with at any price.

It is a screen that requires trying to optimize the room and the projector placement as much as possible for the best results, but given what you've proposed, I think you will be immensely happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy™ View Post

He said 66" high (height) which is about 170" diagonal for a scope screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

it looks like he said 66 inches high which would be about 135" diag if it's a 16:9 screen or 170 diag if 2:35:1

Yes, thank you guys - it's 66" high by 155" wide, so about 168" diagonal. Even at this size, the HP material allows me to run my RS40 on low lamp with the iris either entirely shut or mostly shut for maximum contrast, and still provide plenty of oomph.

Though the more I read this thread, the more I think my beloved JVC is about to be replaced by a rival brand. I'm on the pre-order list for the RS55, but I'm about 80% convinced that the Sony would be the better projector for me.
post #834 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I have conf from the UK Home Theater store who is a Xpand X104 dealer that he will supply me some X104's. He has mentioned that they def leave the Sony glasses behind- he did a day of testing with the 95 and 7 different people, all were in agreement about the X104's being much better than the Sonys (and also congratulated me on my choice of buying a 95). I have asked the more important question as to whether he has done a side by side test again the MV3D's yet as that is the obv and most important comparison. I'll see what the response is.

post #835 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
...Well since no one replied to my projector mount question, I went with the Peerless mount on my order. Hope that it works well, it comes with M5 10mm bolts and can hold up to 50 lbs.
post #836 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

read through the thread, there's a number of experienced projector owners (RickAV, Thrang) who are posting positive 3D results on the 95.

I have the HW30 and the ghosting is minimal and almost non-existent with the Monster Vision 3D glasses.

what movies / scenes do you recall the ghosting? I have them all so I can check if you want specifics.

Edit: check the link in my signature for some interesting observations.

The worst 3D on the Sony VW90ES was, "The Grand Canyon Adventure" also, the space station 3D and crap, I can't remember them all, but those bad flicks looked ALOT better on the JVC RS-40
post #837 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The worst 3D on the Sony VW90ES was, "The Grand Canyon Adventure" also, the space station 3D and crap, I can't remember them all, but those bad flicks looked ALOT better on the JVC RS-40

I agree 100%, my vote for worst was Grand C. I can't recall Space Station that well. Also 3D gaming was a nightmare on the 90 also. I'm yet to try either on the 95 but I know others have.

post #838 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonw5 View Post

...Well since no one replied to my projector mount question, I went with the Peerless mount on my order. Hope that it works well, it comes with M5 10mm bolts and can hold up to 50 lbs.

Don't know about the Peerless mount, but I was able to use my Chief universal mount. The Sony uses M5 bolts, but says 8mm max length. A couple of washers and you should be GTG.
post #839 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 PM

A bit OT, but if you are selling something in the classifieds and get 3 inquiries - the 3rd a commit to buy - would you take them in order or are you obligated to the "commit to buy"?
post #840 of 3608 Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1953 View Post

A bit OT, but if you are selling something in the classifieds and get 3 inquiries - the 3rd a commit to buy - would you take them in order or are you obligated to the "commit to buy"?

Everyone had the same opportunity to commit to buy.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page