Great Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just pulled the trigger on the Sony VW95ES... So, I'm in the car with you guys... It arrives Friday... Remember, If the ghosting is bad....(I'll get you!)... Thanks for the feedback guys...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Great Scott

Prepare yourself! May take a few days to settle in with it and get it calibrated, but lots of measurements and calibration tweaks will be forthcoming.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

For the techies in the group, please check my math...

See my thread on using the CA813 light meter. It covers the math you are looking for, as well as details on how I measure ANSI and On/OFF CR and other such tips: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755705
Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphonium View Post

Hello,
I am most likely going to buy the Sony 95, as for the ghosting are there any better glasses than the sony ones for reducing it.

Regards.......Alan

Yes, the Monster 3D and probely the xpand 104 too ( these are so new that nobody has tested them yet -but everybody is buying the MV ´s for now

BTW. I would check the AVS, they has a very good price on the MV´s and are nice too deal with

dj
Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

max - good summary. I also recommend the MV3D kit since you get the IR receiver. It allows for a quick 123 setup and lets us use the Sony glasses as well.

I've used 2 Sony adult glasses, the 2 Sony kids glasses and 4 of the MV3D's all at the same time with no problem.

Hi Zombie. Can you give us the Sony kids glasses model#? I think my kid will want this, and they probably don't care for the ghosting anyway

Also, would you mind telling me how small is the size of the kids glasses? My girl is 8 and 4, do you think they will fit?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Just pulled the trigger on the Sony VW95ES... So, I'm in the car with you guys... It arrives Friday... Remember, If the ghosting is bad....(I'll get you!)... Thanks for the feedback guys...

OMG !!! Congrats!

This year, there will be a lot of people at the Sony 95 party!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

See my thread on using the CA813 light meter. It covers the math you are looking for, as well as details on how I measure ANSI and On/OFF CR and other such tips: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755705

Look better now?

Lovingdvd...

This is where I got my math from...

TomHuffman
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...98&postcount=1

Under Luminance vs. Illuminance section...

To get the lumens of the projector's lamp, just multiply the lux by the screen area in square feet and then divide by 10.76.

*Tested with virtual numbers and they are the same!

I wanted to make sure my SQ footage was correct!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

OMG !!! Congrats!

This year, there will be a lot of people at the Sony 95 party!

Yeah...I tell you, I'm really looking forward to popping off the screen sports!
Can't beat the Sony VW90/95 for sports! Gonna freak out on Thanksgiving watching the Lions and Packers in a barn burner fight in crystal clear HD!... Oh Yeah, Baby!...
Old 11-16-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutang View Post

To get Image Director to work, you need a null modem adaper if using a regular serial cable. Others have reported that a USB to serial cable doesn't work so you'll need a pc or card with a serial port.

Post on hookup
http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthrea...0#post14708420

How to for Image Director
http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthrea...6#post14653626

I've used ID3 with my VW85 and it works well. May take some time to get used to, but you can get all three colors flat to 2.2 or whatever curve you want.

Hmmm. if it doesn't work with the USB to RS232 adapters, thats bad news - how many people have a RS232 port on their computer?

I'll check the links out...
Old 11-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Liked: 20
Thrang. Your Lumagen RS232 cable is a null modem I believe.

Dog. Do you really think Detroit has a chance against Green Bay? I figure Green Bay wins by 21. I think on the NYG and Chicago have a shot of beating them in the regular season this year.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

since my room is hardly complete i brought mine over to my brothers house for a first viewing on his 100" bargain basement screen. (celing is white, side wall dark yellow, back wall dark brown, lights out)
he's going to be buying a new PJ soon so the 'comparsion' was vs a Panny 3000 - so not useful in any respect except to tell me that if the 95 doesnt make him cry that he has an old panny 3000 ill return it !

this is my first PJ so dont expect any depth to this report, Just a random dude's opinion with no real comparables in the databank.

First off its BIG, good looking and i had to check to make sure it was actually on while we were switching cables around. Seriously, it was right beside me and my breathing was louder. im pretty sure i could sit it on top of my head and not hear it.

2D planet earth blueray
Very beautiful again with nothing to compare it to other than a 55" panny plasma. i thought wow that looks great, then we attached my bro's 3000 and we both went 'holy ****' someone stole all the colour and made it blurry
is it a better picture than the plasma? probably not, hard to say - its different. i doubt my plasma is sharper and i cant say the colours are better and i dont think the blacks suffer in comparsion.

We tried the 2D to 3D upconversion and it was better than i though it would be and pretty cool. im just not sure id use it very often, you lose what makes the PJ so great in the vivid colours and sharpness and the tradeoff isnt worth it. You get a sort of window look to it as if you could reach in a bit but its sort of flat inside the window depth with no real depth, you certainly dont get the feeling of true 3D. Again ill goof around with it because its neat but not a reason for buying it (although i doubt that was the the feature that closed the deal for anyone anyway)

3D, while we didnt have any 3D sources handy, i will share this - i visited a shop in town here yesterday and they had a PS3 hooked up to a HW30 and i played a couple of games whose names escape me (some asteroidy type game and a car game) in 3D.and it was awesome. really really fun.
(although i do think you need to sit closer for 3D to make the immersion complete.)
it didnt lose nearly as much light or colour as i thought it would.

We then watched some hockey from the regional sports HD channel and i have to say i was a little disappointed, it didnt seem especially sharp and im not sure the motion was where i hoped it would be. Now compared to my bro's panny 3000 it was ridiculous - i dont know if he'll ever watch his for a hockey game again - however i kind of expected more from the 95.
****please note i literally took this out of the box at his house and plugged it in, i fiddled very briefly with some of the motion settings but not really knowing what i was doing. ****
i didnt see much difference between motion off and the high setting
i expect that with a high end screen, and even some rudimentary knowledge of the settings that i will be able to improve this, so ill update when i have some more useful info.

The last thing we watched was a 2D blueray of StarTrek.
I left this for last because it was jaw dropping beautiful, and i like to leave everyone with that.
the blacks were blaaaaaaack, lasers and photons flying through space were absurdly crisp and vivid, there is one seen where the enemy vessel is firing its photons and the emerald green that comes from them as they fly through space and hit the ship was nothing short of beautiful, such a small thing but we watched the scene over and over again.
the detail was amazing and my brother and i were both amazed. im convinced that it was a better PQ than the 55" plasma i bought 3 months ago.

Sorry i cant tell you how it looks compared to other comparable or new lesser cost projectors, i just dont have enough reference points.

Not sure this actually tells anyone anything new or useful for their application,but if you are wondering what someone new to projectors first impressions were, there you have it.

Thanks, I liked to read your impressions and yes , I do think that when you get the settings dialed "perfect" in - its even going to be even better.

BTW. actully, I think that your impressions is much more, whats ( HT ) its all about, than what we ( yes, me too ) do, when we use all that energy on nidpicking at some things like test patterns, small ghosting issues and so on - I just cant stop my self doing so sometimes , but as you, I still love to just turn the light off and enjoy

dj
Old 11-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Thrang. Your Lumagen RS232 cable is a null modem I believe.

Dog. Do you really think Detroit has a chance against Green Bay? I figure Green Bay wins by 21. I think on the NYG and Chicago have a shot of beating them in the regular season this year.

Just so you know...The last team to beat Greenbay was the Lions...(with our 3rd string QB) and a weaker defense.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Hi Zombie. Can you give us the Sony kids glasses model#? I think my kid will want this, and they probably don't care for the ghosting anyway

Also, would you mind telling me how small is the size of the kids glasses? My girl is 8 and 4, do you think they will fit?

I thinks its the TDG-BR50, but you should check out the TDG-BR200 too, because they are very small too ( off all the Sony glasses, I best like the BR50, because I have a small head, and they are the most comfortable off the Sony´s )

And yes, they will fit the kids.

Just remember the filters

dj
Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Hmmm. if it doesn't work with the USB to RS232 adapters, thats bad news - how many people have a RS232 port on their computer?

I'll check the links out...

I figure you just want to check it out to experiment and play around with it, but I wanted to make sure you knew that there is really no benefit for you (that I know of at least) for using Image Director because you have the Lumagen and can do whatever you need in there just the same if not better (and far easier).
Old 11-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Yeah...I tell you, I'm really looking forward to popping off the screen sports!
Can't beat the Sony VW90/95 for sports! Gonna freak out on Thanksgiving watching the Lions and Packers in a barn burner fight in crystal clear HD!... Oh Yeah, Baby!...

dogone, is it in 1080p or 1080i/720p ? The reason I asked is 1080i football (cbs sports) looks horrible (jagged lines) on my Pro8100. 720p looks better. The connection is Comcast basic cable to my Sony HDD250 DVR . HDMI output to projector.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I figure you just want to check it out to experiment and play around with it, but I wanted to make sure you knew that there is really no benefit for you (that I know of at least) for using Image Director because you have the Lumagen and can do whatever you need in there just the same if not better (and far easier).

I know, but if I have toys I want to play....
Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Not all USB to 232 converts are equally blessed. My Keyspan has worked with everything I've tried (altho I've not tried Image Director).

I can confirm this!

I have the keyspan, but it did not work - however, I didn't try the lumen cable...

thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

dogone, is it in 1080p or 1080i/720p ? The reason I asked is 1080i football (cbs sports) looks horrible (jagged lines) on my Pro8100. 720p looks better. The connection is Comcast basic cable to my Sony HDD250 DVR . HDMI output to projector.

I have Directv Sunday Ticket and it's broadcast in 1080i which "can" be scaled to 1080P through my receiver, but with the Sony VW90/95, I pass it through the projector clean and let the VW95 scale it. Looks incredible.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I know, but if I have toys I want to play....

Yea that's what I figured. Let us know if you get it working and whether there's anything useful in there for those with a VP. Assuming it works as I would expect I can already say it would be very useful for those without a VP.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Let's put some perspective on this...

The VW85 owners thread was started 2 years ago and has 14 pages.

The VW90 owners thread was started 1 year ago and has 44 pages.

The VW95 owners thread was started just two weeks ago and already has 31 pages.

Anyone noticing a trend here? I think this is a testament to Sony coming on strong and certainly this is the highest level of interest I've seen in Sony projectors perhaps since the day of the Ruby.

My thoughts exactly.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

I thinks its the TDG-BR50, but you should check out the TDG-BR200 too, because they are very small too ( off all the Sony glasses, I best like the BR50, because I have a small head, and they are the most comfortable off the Sony´s )

And yes, they will fit the kids.

Just remember the filters

dj

Yup, to see the blue BR50s just go to my site front page. Jaclyn's poms have them on.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Seems like Sony fixed the old issues in the image from years past, so they kept the awesome color and the benefits, and got rid of a lot of the negatives.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Seems like Sony fixed the old issues in the image from years past, so they kept the awesome color and the benefits, and got rid of a lot of the negatives.

Though this projector has not been out long, a lot of picky projector owners have these in hand and there have been very few complaints. In other words this is a very well rounded projectors and does not seem to have any bad traits.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Though this projector has not been out long, a lot of picky projector owners have these in hand and there have been very few complaints. In other words this is a very well rounded projectors and does not seem to have any bad traits.

I totally agree! My only concern is that the lamp will dim like on the good old JVC's! If not than this could be the perfect projector!!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 AM

Liked: 20
Every bulb dims. Some bulb models more than others with different dacay characteristics and some models have more variability between bulbs of the same model number.

The Sony is a very very fine projector. They are selling quicker than we can get them in BUT there is no perfect projector and there never can be because choosing a projector based on a certain factoror factors mean trade offs in other areas.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post

I totally agree! My only concern is that the lamp will dim like on the good old JVC's! If not than this could be the perfect projector!!

That is pure speculation and since the 95 is close to the 90 and previous 85 I highly doubt it. I would be more concerned about the same thing happening to the new JVCs since they never said a word!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I agree with you!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
has anyone spent any significant amount of time watching sports yet?

if so, can you comment? motion? sharpness? etc.?

tia.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

has anyone spent any significant amount of time watching sports yet?

if so, can you comment? motion? sharpness? etc.?

tia.

I sound like a savant, but I've been watching a lot of hockey, and some football

Absolutely outstanding sharpness and motion handling. If this is important to you, the 95es is a winner without a doubt (as it is in so many other categories)

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector