AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post

Hello,lovingdvd
It will be ideal to try to adjust black level on JVC without being a little crushed(like you said before).I had RS20 for 2,5 years and i know how black it was,but for me 95es is in the same league if not better then RS20.

Indeed that is a good point. From what I remember I could not see black 17 ever without raising brightness one click to "1". That is a major no-no IMO because it raises the entire black floor. That also destroys the CR if you were to measure it (probably cuts it by two-thirds). Because that is unacceptable to me, I had no choice but to crush blacks.

So yes if I was to raise the black floor so that 17 wasn't crushed, and compared that black level to that of the VW95 then it would likely be much closer or possibly give an edge to the Sony. I would never run the JVC that way but I can understand others would and to make it an apples to apples comparison I'll check it that way too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dose any one know in any way to make TDG-BR250 3d glasses compatible with this video projector. thanks
post #1083 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a couple of high resolution pictures off my iPhone 4S. They are 3264x2448. I want to post them to demonstrate the clarity and image detail the Sony has. Even though these are not the greatest shots and were not done with a tripod I think you will get the idea.

However, when I try to shrink them down to fit into the AVS file size limit or the limits in Photobucket etc it looses some of the detail needed to show off the point. Anyone know of a free site where I can put the large photos and link to them?
post #1084 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you using the Monstervision glasses - do you know what parameters you set in the Fine Tuning mode?

I was surprised to see that I needed to reverse the polarity of the glasses, and also had to change the default setting for the Delay. These same glasses with my Samsung TV do not require the reverse polarity and did not require any tweaking at all with the fine turning. No big deal really since the glasses work incredibly well with the VW95, but surprising that it needed this level of tweaking (and reversing polarity).

A/B testing with Sony glasses show the Sony's are considerably dimmer and also dull the colors. No wonder why the default 3D settings have the color control pushed up from 50 to 60... I quickly reverted that. Also the default in 3D for sharpness was 60 instead of the default of 10 in non-3D mode, just FYI. I lowered that all the way too, since I am doing my sharpening in the Lumagen.
post #1085 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie102026 View Post

dose any one know in any way to make TDG-BR250 3d glasses compatible with this video projector. thanks

You need to get some ( polarisering) filters from Sony to put on the ( front off ) glasses ( with the 90ES they followt within the package ) see Joerod´s hints on how to get them, back in this tread.

dj
post #1086 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:

I thought these were the ones that came with the projector?
post #1087 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Never mind...I see now that mine are MODEL #TDG-PJ1 wow...200.00 bucks for a pair?...No wonder every one is going with the monsters.
post #1088 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I checked some motion handling with HD hockey. Wow! Let me repeat again, wow! When I saw the skaters moving around I immediately got that same feeling I get when standing near the glass at a game and watching the player skate around. I didn't think about it, the feeling just came over me. It took the "like looking through a window" expression and made it more like "opening the window and looking out". It looked like the players were gliding, and of course, they were!

The sharpness is great too - the announcer was talking into a big mic with a dense foam ball on the end (people still use those?) and you could see all the tiny little holes in the porous material that make up that foam. Guys I am not talking about seeing the screen on top of a metal mic - I am saying you could clearly make out all the tiny-tiny holes that are on that material. And remember I am sitting at 2x screen widths! Fine detail on this projector is outstanding.

would you mind telling me (or repeating if i missed it) the setup/settings you used to watch hockey?
i watched a bit (although on my bro's very low end screen) with mine and i wasnt thrilled, but i had just pulled it out of the box.
everyone else has loved it for hockey and its one of the main reasons i bought it!
133" 2.4hp dalite will be the screen, im expecting the results will be better on that one, but obviously would like to improve it as much as possible.

thanks!
post #1089 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Not to go much further with this but film dark and inky?

I have never seen a film projector ever produce dark and inky images.

Correct, film projectors are typically <2,000:1 on/off. If modified to get maximum on/off at the expense of significant light loss they can manage <4,000:1 on/off.
post #1090 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Correct, film projectors are typically <2,000:1 on/off. If modified to get maximum on/off at the expense of significant light loss they can manage <4,000:1 on/off.

That's why I mentioned it.
post #1091 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Are you guys suggesting that one therefore doesn't need for a pj to produce more than to 2 to 4K:1 o/f CR? That doesn't seem to make sense. ?
post #1092 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Are you guys suggesting that one therefore doesn't need for a pj to produce more than to 2 to 4K:1 o/f CR? That doesn't seem to make sense. ?

No, like everyone else i want real infinite:1 but I would not quantify the term "Film Like" with terms dark and inky.
post #1093 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have a couple of high resolution pictures off my iPhone 4S. They are 3264x2448. I want to post them to demonstrate the clarity and image detail the Sony has. Even though these are not the greatest shots and were not done with a tripod I think you will get the idea.

However, when I try to shrink them down to fit into the AVS file size limit or the limits in Photobucket etc it looses some of the detail needed to show off the point. Anyone know of a free site where I can put the large photos and link to them?

I use VSO image re-sizer. It's free.
http://download.cnet.com/windows/vso...nt;contentBody
post #1094 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

would you mind telling me (or repeating if i missed it) the setup/settings you used to watch hockey?
i watched a bit (although on my bro's very low end screen) with mine and i wasnt thrilled, but i had just pulled it out of the box.
everyone else has loved it for hockey and its one of the main reasons i bought it!
133" 2.4hp dalite will be the screen, im expecting the results will be better on that one, but obviously would like to improve it as much as possible.

thanks!

The most likely reason is because the OOTB settings use gamma 8 (in the "Expert" menu). This is terrible. It probably is there because it makes it look bright but it is about as wrong of a gamma as possible to use. See SOWK's calibration report and look at the pre-calibration vs. post-calibration gamma graph.

So you will need to use it in its best OOTB settings and turn the gamma to OFF and ideally calibrate your grayscale, set motion flow on Low, color space Normal, Color Temp of Low1. That should get you started.
post #1095 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gleave View Post

I use VSO image re-sizer. It's free.
http://download.cnet.com/windows/vso...nt;contentBody

Thanks. I have tools to resize - what I am looking for is a place to park the photos so I can link to them. Photobucket does support large resolutions (at least not in the free version).
post #1096 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Never mind...I see now that mine are MODEL #TDG-PJ1 wow...200.00 bucks for a pair?...No wonder every one is going with the monsters.

Actually the Monsters are like wearing sunglasses. The Sonys tend to pinch somewhat and after a longer 3D marathon that matters.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #1097 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I think some of you guys are taking overexposed shots of an HP screen out of context - this isn't what it looks like in person.

These are manual exposures on a D90, 142" 2.8HP screen to match the similar brightness and IQ I am seeing with the eyes. 3D on this screen is something to be seen, it's very bright.

It seems like you have the color temp way high. Is your PJ calibrated or is this just something your camera/software did to the photos?

From my RS20 (should have set the exposure time a bit longer as the image is brighter in real life but you get the idea with the colors.)

post #1098 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I've run into an issue with the MonsterVision glasses. That work great once I use the Fine Tune option to dial them in. The challenge is that the Delay and Duty Cycle that is needed for frame packed Blu-ray 3D (the "real stuff") is totally different than the parameters needed to dial in Over-and-Under and SbS. I can tune either too look good, but not both.

I've used these same glasses and IR/RF receiver with my Samsung plasma and the same settings work for frame-packed blu-ray 3D as they do for TnB and SbS. I don't understand what is different when it comes to the Sony. The only thing I can think of maybe is that perhaps the Lumagen is introducing a delay which is different for frame-packed vs SbS/TnB?

Has anyone else had this issue with their VW95? When responding please also note whether you are using a special (home made) cable or the IR/RF cable, and whether you are using a VP like the Edge or Duo. Thanks.
post #1099 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks. I have tools to resize - what I am looking for is a place to park the photos so I can link to them. Photobucket does support large resolutions (at least not in the free version).

You can use something like www.megaupload.com. Just register for free, put the pics in a rar or zip file, and upload them. When your finished uploading there will be a link to that file and you can post the link here. I don't know whats the limit for one upload but I know its a lot. I can help you if you have more questions or problems.
post #1100 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I would be ok with that. I wouldn't be able to do until a weekend though.

That is fine. I will pm you when I find out when mine ships.
post #1101 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

You need to get some ( polarisering) filters from Sony to put on the ( front off ) glasses ( with the 90ES they followt within the package ) see Joerod´s hints on how to get them, back in this tread.

dj

It's a massive step back and a bit of messing around to sort filters like ones that came with the VW90. I was so happy to sell my TDG-BR250's off with my VW90. The filters just kill the light output, plus comfort sucks, as does their susceptibility to head movement/angles. Even if they are for spares/extra viewers, its worth splashing out on the newer Sony's, MV3D, or the perhaps X104's.

post #1102 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

I Have owned 3 RS-series JVC projectors and 3 top of the line Sony projectors (including this 95ES) and IMO, the Sony produces a better overall picture. Hands down. Say what you will about the black level of the JVC line, The Sony has DEEP blacks "and" eye poping contrast and color. The Sony looks more like an expensive LCD/LED/Plasma in a giant form. The JVC looks a bit Murky...The only time I REALLY enjoyed the JVC was watching selective science fiction flicks or movies with alot of dark scenes...(Book Of Eli) etc... I'm done with JVC... Thank you Sony for coming out with an affordable machine that puts a jaw dropping expression and then a big smile on my face...Looking foward to receiving a unit that can be focused...

I wonder if anyone else has had an issue with focusing their 95? There was a post over in AVForums by someone who said that his dealer had stopped delivering these units because of focusing problems.
post #1103 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

For those asking about the RCP(CMS) controls...

In normal color space with no adjustments

In normal color space and 100% saturation correct via RCP

So they are near perfect at 100% but totally off at all other saturation levels.
post #1104 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if anyone else has had an issue with focusing their 95? There was a post over in AVForums by someone who said that his dealer had stopped delivering these units because of focusing problems.

Yes, many are, and I also have to use a full field white pattern to focus properly. As seen in my pictures in my review.
post #1105 of 3582 Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I did more testing tonight with the MonsterVision glasses. I stand by my earlier report that there is an issue here...

It seems that the Sony transmits its IR information differently if it is frame packed from blu-ray versus SbS/TnB. The MonsterVision glasses can only be tuned to get a good image for one or the other, but not both (because it only has one setting).

After extensive testing I determined the follow settings work best for me for frame packed blu-ray 3D:

(Glasses operating at frequency 95.9hz)
Delay (usecs): 21,079
Duty Cycle (10-120%): 107

SbS or TnB 3D:

(Glasses operating at frequency 120hz)
Delay (usecs): 34,250
Duty Cycle (10-120%): 79

This presents quite a challenge because there is no easy way to switch the configuration from one to the other. I would need to pull out my laptop and upload one set of settings versus the other, depending on what I was going to watch. When you use the Sony glasses there is not an issue. But with the Monster glasses if you don't match the config to frame packed when watching that or to SbS/TnB when watching that then it is unwatchable.

The good thing is that when I use the right config depending on what I am watching, the 3D from the glasses is significantly better than the Sony. But this presents a significant challenge because it is not convenient to switch configs.

Has anyone else with the Monster glasses run into this?
post #1106 of 3582 Old 11-21-2011, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Interesting. You may be better off calibrating at 75% Saturation instead of 100%.

Like LG said, it seems that making a truly good CMS must be difficult. Thankfully Lumagen does this right.

I tried that as well.

Same thing, 75% was good but everything else was garbage. I just didn't save and post those results.
post #1107 of 3582 Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Interesting. You may be better off calibrating at 75% Saturation instead of 100%.

Like LG said, it seems that making a truly good CMS must be difficult. Thankfully Lumagen does this right.

The Radiance isn't perfect either when it comes to saturations tracking. Good. Not Perfect.

I am coming to the conclusion when you have good color OOTB, like SOWK's Sony has, you should just leave it and not touch the CMS. Tweaking isn't going to make things better.

The problem arises when you have imperfect color OOTB. The CMS might at times makes things better and at times make things worse.

I know that lovingdvd has calibrated his own Sony so he will hopefuly weigh in on how good his color is OOTB and whether he gets the same kinds of saturation errors after using the CMS.

Good OOTB color is a good thing. All you have to worry about is greyscale. Color tends not to drift much as the lamp ages.

Affable Nitwit
post #1108 of 3582 Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, what's the hold up Lovingdvd... Lol.

We need your full review!
post #1109 of 3582 Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

I've run into an issue with the MonsterVision glasses. That work great once I use the Fine Tune option to dial them in. The challenge is that the Delay and Duty Cycle that is needed for frame packed Blu-ray 3D (the "real stuff") is totally different than the parameters needed to dial in Over-and-Under and SbS. I can tune either too look good, but not both.

I've used these same glasses and IR/RF receiver with my Samsung plasma and the same settings work for frame-packed blu-ray 3D as they do for TnB and SbS. I don't understand what is different when it comes to the Sony. The only thing I can think of maybe is that perhaps the Lumagen is introducing a delay which is different for frame-packed vs SbS/TnB?

Has anyone else had this issue with their VW95? When responding please also note whether you are using a special (home made) cable or the IR/RF cable, and whether you are using a VP like the Edge or Duo. Thanks.

I have a DUO which my DirecTV 3D goes through to my 95 and for Blu ray either my Panny 310 or Oppo 93 send it directly to my 95 (Dual HDMI outs). I have not had any issues with 3D no matter what the material or format...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #1110 of 3582 Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I have NO problems at all off focusing the 95, it just the test pattern for it, who is a little "funny"

And I think it is overreaction to call it a "problem" - in here for now, only one ( Dogone !? ) has had a unit, who couldnt focus at all - if I understanded him/it correct ?

Everbody els can adjust the focus - right !? it just that the test pattern behave different when it recieve a signal, then when it is without active signal.

dj
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page