Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Ran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thrang,

Can u please explain why u choose to do this:

"Low 1 (service menu adjustments: 90% greyscale gain R 124, G 126, B 132 - 20% Bias R 124, G 123, B 130)"

Rather then using one of the custom col temp and adjusting Gain and Bias from the user Menu?

Thanx

Ran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran View Post

thrang,

"Low 1 (service menu adjustments: 90% greyscale gain R 124, G 126, B 132 - 20% Bias R 124, G 123, B 130)"

Rather then using one of the custom col temp and adjusting Gain and Bias from the user Menu?

Thanx

Ran

In checking default tracking at 25, 50, and 75 with Chromapure's Advanced color management analysis, I believe this was the most accurate default setting, and the closest to neutral white (gain). I could have erred given all the iterations I've tried, but this was the reasoning.

If custom 3 is supposed to be the equivalent of low 1, then you would achieve the same as I did in the user menu, but they don't even appear vidually the same as I cycle through them. I'll have to double check (again) though to be sure which end of my body I'm talking out of...
Old 11-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I received and set up my VW95 last night - I got a very nice price from AVS. Mounting it was more work than the Epson 8500ub it replaces. The Sony has much less wiggle room on mounting flexibility than the Epson. I have it ceiling mounted 16ft back from a 100inch screen which is just slightly beyond its reach, and there is a bit less lens shift as well. So at one point I thought I wouldn't be able to get it on my screen, but after a few adjustments I got it perfectly centered, and only overproject my screen border by 1.5% on each side, which is practically irrelevant, and not noticeable on my Elite Screens' EZ fit black velvet frame.

Convergence appeared very good. Pixels at the farthest corners showed more chromatic aberration than directly in line with the lens. Focus was best done with a chart - I used Disney's WOW rather than the projector pattern. Lightness, darkness, and resolutions tests all looked excellent, using the recommended settings from P1 of this thread.

I only had time to play actual material a little bit after setup (a few minutes of Baraka, and Gran Turismo 5), so can only record my first impressions:
I was slightly disappointed that the fan wasn't as silent as I hoped. It's not particularly loud on high or low lamp, but it doesn't disappear, sitting 5 feet below and 1 or 2 feet in front of the lamp. The dynamic iris is silent.

I wasn't blown away by a huge jump in brightness and/or contrast vs the Epson (which has /1000 hours and I always used on low lamp). It was good, and better, but it wasn't quite like a whole new world. This is possibly due to me being at the longest throw of the lens, back 16 ft.

I'll have to test it out with more movies and determine whether at typical listening volumes, the extra fan with high lamp is noticeable. Last night I was running at -40db volumes, so that's not normal sound levels. High lamp looks a bit more peppy, but it's not a huge difference.

I can imagine that a Carada 1.4 screen would help deliver more pop than my Elite 1.1 screen.

It will be interesting to see if my wife notices a difference.

No 3d usage yet.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.West View Post

I received and set up my VW95 last night - I got a very nice price from AVS. Mounting it was more work than the Epson 8500ub it replaces. The Sony has much less wiggle room on mounting flexibility than the Epson. I have it ceiling mounted 16ft back from a 100inch screen which is just slightly beyond its reach, and there is a bit less lens shift as well. So at one point I thought I wouldn't be able to get it on my screen, but after a few adjustments I got it perfectly centered, and only overproject my screen border by 1.5% on each side, which is practically irrelevant, and not noticeable on my Elite Screens' EZ fit black velvet frame.

Convergence appeared very good. Pixels at the farthest corners showed more chromatic aberration than directly in line with the lens. Focus was best done with a chart - I used Disney's WOW rather than the projector pattern. Lightness, darkness, and resolutions tests all looked excellent, using the recommended settings from P1 of this thread.

I only had time to play actual material a little bit after setup (a few minutes of Baraka, and Gran Turismo 5), so can only record my first impressions:
I was slightly disappointed that the fan wasn't as silent as I hoped. It's not particularly loud on high or low lamp, but it doesn't disappear, sitting 5 feet below and 1 or 2 feet in front of the lamp. The dynamic iris is silent.

I wasn't blown away by a huge jump in brightness and/or contrast vs the Epson (which has /1000 hours and I always used on low lamp). It was good, and better, but it wasn't quite like a whole new world. This is possibly due to me being at the longest throw of the lens, back 16 ft.

I'll have to test it out with more movies and determine whether at typical listening volumes, the extra fan with high lamp is noticeable. Last night I was running at -40db volumes, so that's not normal sound levels. High lamp looks a bit more peppy, but it's not a huge difference.

I can imagine that a Carada 1.4 screen would help deliver more pop than my Elite 1.1 screen.

It will be interesting to see if my wife notices a difference.

No 3d usage yet.

Notices a different image or notices a different projector?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran View Post

thrang,

Thanx

Ran

When using an external VP or an internal gamma adjustment like with the JVC RS series or Sony's ImageDirector, it is best to use the projectors Gain control to set the 100% level to D65, and to leave the Bias or Offset controls at their defaults. The correction needed will come from the gamma controls. Also it is possible to inadvertantly raise the overall black level of the pj by adding anything over the default Bias/Offset setting (this is definitely the case with the JVC, haven't looked for Sony).
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

FI addresses judder but cannot eliminate flicker as flicker is controlled by the frequency at which the display is updating the sequence of frames and the duration of the black, or blanked out, frames between each image frames. If the two sequentially displayed image frames for a given eye are identical (straight 2:2 pulldown) vs. one original then one interpolated frame the visibility of flicker will be the same (given all else equal). However on-screen motion will certainly be smoother when using FI and I agreed that having FI available on the Sony for 3D is a big plus as compared to the JVC's 3D capabilities (but not as a means to reduce flicker).

Sorry, but it do absolutly remove the flicker ( 48 hz pr. eye ), when you activate the FI - in low mode, the bright area´s are getting almost completly stabil and in high mode, you cant see any flicker at all in any material ( that I have seen ). Dont know excatly what they do, but it work.

dj
Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Sunshine View Post

But why would Sony run at 48 Hz per eye (96 Hz total) - which would flicker - when their panels can go to 240 Hz? That seems hard to believe. I guess we'll have to wait for cine4home's very in depth review/analysis for a definitive answer.

I really dont think they do, because i can clearly see the (48 hz) flicker when FI is off and when its on low, its look more like 60 ( allmost non flicker ) and on high there are no flicker ( I would guess on 96 hz , but I dont know for sure) at all.
I will try to test it to night and see if I can get smarter about it

dj
Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

I really dont think they do, because i can clearly see the (48 hz) flicker when FI is off and when its on low, its look more like 60 ( allmost non flicker ) and on high there are no flicker ( I would guess on 96 hz , but I dont know for sure) at all.
I will try to test it to night and see if I can get smarter about it

dj

Hi - I am trying to understand what you are saying because it is very interesting to me. Can you try to explain more?

Also am I right to assume by "FI" you are talking about "MotionFlow OFF/LOW/HIGH" in the menu? Or are you talking about Dark Frame Insertion (DFI) which I think is under Film Mode?

I do not notice any flicker at all with 2D content, and I am very sensitive to it. However I do notice some flicker in 3D in brighter scenes, whether FI is on or not. And DFI is not even an option in 3D, at least not that I can tell.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Did another cal to try and get the tracking better - except for 75% blue, i think this is a lot closer than the last...still need to tweak gamma.

Instead of cluttering with more screen grabs from the Chromaoure report, here's a link to the grabs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2073103...7628100454059/

Settings on the 95:

Cinema 1
Contrast 89
Brightness 52
Color 50
Hue 50
Color Space: Wide 1
Film Mode Off
FI Off
DI Off
Lamp: Normal
Low 1 (service menu adjustments: 90% greyscale gain R 124, G 126, B 132 - 20% Bias R 124, G 123, B 130)

I try to not put to much in graf´s ( but I love to see them ) - but it is really some very good and precise calibration there, except the blue at 75% ( is it visible for the eye ? ) and how was the saturation OTB ?

Thanks for posting

dj
Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Did another cal to try and get the tracking better - except for 75% blue, i think this is a lot closer than the last...still need to tweak gamma.

Instead of cluttering with more screen grabs from the Chromaoure report, here's a link to the grabs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2073103...7628100454059/

Settings on the 95:

Cinema 1
Contrast 89
Brightness 52
Color 50
Hue 50
Color Space: Wide 1
Film Mode Off
FI Off
DI Off
Lamp: Normal
Low 1 (service menu adjustments: 90% greyscale gain R 124, G 126, B 132 - 20% Bias R 124, G 123, B 130)

Thrang,

This is impressive.. Yes, except for that blue-saturation..
In any case, with this almost perfect setting, what's your measurement on lumens, and I assume you are still on your short throw, right?

I really want to get the Sony, but given RS55 is coming out pretty soon and Joe will let us know how it goes, I feel like I should wait a bit
Old 11-23-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Hi - I am trying to understand what you are saying because it is very interesting to me. Can you try to explain more?

Also am I right to assume by "FI" you are talking about "MotionFlow OFF/LOW/HIGH" in the menu? Or are you talking about Dark Frame Insertion (DFI) which I think is under Film Mode?

I do not notice any flicker at all with 2D content, and I am very sensitive to it. However I do notice some flicker in 3D in brighter scenes, whether FI is on or not. And DFI is not even an option in 3D, at least not that I can tell.

lovingdvd

First off all, I was talking about 3D ( in 2D, I dont see any flicker eather, even if FI is off - only the "jutter" )

And yes, its correct, FI ( Frame Insertion) = motionflow OFF/LOW/HIGH

And DFI is not an option in 3D.

dj
Old 11-23-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

lovingdvd

First off all, I was talking about 3D ( in 2D, I dont see any flicker eather, even if FI is off - only the "jutter" )

And yes, its correct, FI ( Frame Insertion) = motionflow OFF/LOW/HIGH

And DFI is not an option in 3D.

dj

So you are saying that MotionFlow on HIGH should help reduce or eliminate the flicker from frame packed 3D blu-rays (since the glasses are operating at 96hz in that mode)? I've been running with it on LOW and can see the flicker at times (brighter scenes). I will try it on HIGH and see if that makes an improvement - let's hope so. Will report back. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Wow. The vote count has gone to one on the number of people that think JVC has fixed (since 09 as he says) CMD.

You sir are obviously not an avid gamer, so the benefits of this very useful feature are completely wasted on you. If I wasn't clear enough in my previous post, the gamers are complaining about lag. My response was for gaming only. I use calibrated settings on User 1 for movies, and Dyamic with CMD turned on for Gaming. I will repeat my observation. CMD works wonders for gaming. Try it

"Now a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it.."
Old 11-23-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM View Post

You sir are obviously not an avid gamer, so the benefits of this very useful feature are completely wasted on you. If I wasn't clear enough in my previous post, the gamers are complaining about lag. My response was for gaming only. I use calibrated settings on User 1 for movies, and Dyamic with CMD turned on for Gaming. I will repeat my observation. CMD works wonders for gaming. Try it

Does turning on CMD / FI actually lower "input" Lag? Or just extremely smooth out the experience by adding more frames.

I think extra processing would only add to the lag...
Old 11-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Hey guys...Just wanted to let everyone know that I received my replacement projector through Sony from my Dealer, and I am very happy! This new projector has perfect focus...I can see every little pixel and "step" in each letter and there is also no red or blue "halo" around the images like the defective projector. This projector also has better convergence. I am very, very, satisfied with this awesome 3D projector, and also wanted to say "kudos" to my dealer who actually did what he said he would do!...I will continue to buy from him again. Many, Many, thanks! For all Folks interested in this projector, but may be sitting on the fence?... I can honestly tell you, "Buy it!" You will not be sorry!...For the money, It's the best out there. Period. Go Sony!...and Go Lions!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Does turning on CMD / FI actually lower "input" Lag? Or just extremely smooth out the experience by adding more frames.

I think extra processing would only add to the lag...

Yeah, thats exactly right. It adds frames to smooth things out. It doesn't fix the lag issue.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:14 PM

Had to bust out my jigsaw and cut a curved area above the face of the VW95ES....
The JVC was a perfect rectangle...so my frame insert wouldn't fit the curved higher domed Sony top. Took an hour, but got er done... (Don't worry guys...I cleaned up and re-painted the ceiling where I scuffed it all up...

Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Had to bust out my jigsaw and cut a curved area above the face of the VW95ES....
The JVC was a perfect rectangle...so my frame insert wouldn't fit the curved higher domed Sony top. Took an hour, but got er done... (Don't worry guys...I cleaned up and re-painted the ceiling where I scuffed it all up...

Very nice!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post

Do somebody have some settings for 3D?
Thanks

I think the default 3D settings are pretty good...If it's a real dark flick like "Harry Potter 3D", then you may want to bump the gamma setting from 7 to 1 and boost brightness a few notches.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The 95ES is working overtime today!!! A lot of football and then a 3D movie for 8 in the evening... Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 11-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Notices a different image or notices a different projector?

My wife and 10yo daughter watched the final Harry Potter 2D blu ray last night. It was good and dark, just like the movie. I asked my daughter if she saw a difference between this and the old projector (Epson 8500). She said no, it was good before, and good now. (We didn't watch this movie on the Epson, but I do remember thinking that the second to last Harry Potter was too dark to see well at times. On the Sony VW95, it's dark, but not too dark to see what's going on. These are pretty challenging movies IMO.

This afternoon, I let my wife and daughter watch Despicable Me in 3D using the Sony glasses, while I was cooking stuffing and sweet potato casserole. They liked it a lot, and now they noticed it's a new projector. This was the first time they've seen 3D at home, and they were pretty happy about it. Now my daughter wants to have more glasses so she can invite friends over. AVS to the rescue?

I watched a bit of the movie before and after they did. Brightness wasn't a problem at default settings. I noticed ghosting, probably because AVS folks constantly talk about it. My family was blissfully ignorant. I will check if turning down glasses brightness reduces ghosting. After 15 minutes I got a slight headache.

3d isn't going to be more than an occasional novelty for me until after I upgrade my receiver from an Onkyo807 which cannot handle 3d, and thus requires a direct HDMI run from my Oppo 93, and an extra unsightly cable run, and flipping through settings.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:44 PM

hi
I brought the AE7000 last month but its not for me, so i brought the VW-95 yesterday and i hope this will be my definitive projector.
What is the right glasses for this projector ? I want to buy the oficial glasses from sony, but i dont know wich model is the right. Is it the TDG-PJ1 ?
How many glasses come with the VW-95, two or four ?
Will came here only in 20 days, i am in Brasil.
I am sorry for my bad english.
Thanks for your help.
Clayton
Old 11-24-2011, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Projector arrived today. Got it installed with the Peerless mount. Fantastic mount, super easy to install and I love the controls to level the projector.
This is my third projector and I have seen/installed others. My current projector was a Sanyo Z2000. Let me say that the difference was !
Incredible in dark scenes. Pretty much blows LCD type projectors away. I turned off the motion as I prefer a film like look verses SOE. Trying basic settings as per the beginning of this thread. I am quite pleased with them so far.
Colors seem spot on, especially the skin tones with these quick settings and no calibration yet (will wait till 100 hours have passed first). Projector menu system is easy to navigate and adjust.

What was very interesting was how well this unit performed against a Sharp 70" 240Hz 3D TV that I just installed a few hours earlier at my parents place. I believe that this projector has the edge in image quality against that fine television.

We tried Captain America in 3D and was quite impressed by the image with the standard 3D glasses from Sony. It seems that the rest of the family likes them too, so I will probably just order more Sony glasses.

I noticed that the projector has less lens offset capability than the Sanyo and Panasonic products, so you have to be more particular in your mounting of the projector and/or screen just in case others are upgrading from this brand projectors. I was expecting a really bright image compared to my Sanyo (has new bulb with 15 hours on it), but maybe because I am in extreme offset for the lens, the image brightness seems about the same to the naked eye.

I am using a Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 gain fixed screen 106" 16:9 in a dedicated 14' x 24' x 9' full light controlled home theater room.

Other associated equipment:
Klipsch KL-650-THX LCRs
Klipsch KS-525-THX surrounds x 2 pairs
SVS PC Ultra 13 Subwoofer x 2
Yamaha RX-V Z11 Receiver
Panasonic BD-P310 Blu Ray player
Primacoustics Room Acoustics Panels and Bass Traps

Now to have more fun!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymic View Post

hi
I brought the AE7000 last month but its not for me, so i brought the VW-95 yesterday and i hope this will be my definitive projector.
What is the right glasses for this projector ? I want to buy the oficial glasses from sony, but i dont know wich model is the right. Is it the TDG-PJ1 ?
Thanks for your help.
Clayton

Hi,
They ship this model with two glasses.You made the right choice,the difference with Panasonic is big.(especially 2D).
Old 11-25-2011, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymic View Post

hi
Thanks for your help.
Clayton

Hi,
You can use with this PJ different glasses from other manufacturer ex.Optoma,Monster.Check the previous threads,as you will find very useful information about everything you want to know for this PJ.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:35 AM

Very thaks maximus74, i read almost all this thread already and i found very usefull information. Congratulation to all.
I was wating for the RS-55, but i have some doubts about the lamps and 3D.
When the VW-95 arrive i will calibrate everything with the Display 3 pro (using chromapure) and decide if it will be my next definitive projector for the next 2 years. I watched some movies in RS-40 and RS-60, but only for a few hours, the 2D its great but i have the feeling that VW-95 will do a great job in my room. The AE7000 have a serious problem with the calibration of the grayscale, colors and gamma, and the right conner its very diferent from the left conner.
Well, i will have to wait for test, but i am very confident i made the right choice this time.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How can I access the Service Menu in the VW95? Is there possible to increase the red color temp for more brightness?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 AM

I watched a couple more movies last night, and started noticing more good things about the 95. Fan noise on high lamp wasn't an issue at levels I normally use, and wasn't noticible during breaks in the dialogue. Colors were really vibrant in movies that have them (Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 1 & 2 didn't, but a Blu Ray of Mamma Mia looked particularly bright and beautiful - the light and colors of a Greek isle almost made up for me having to watch this chick flick).
Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Liked: 20
Talking about chicks, the Dallas NFL game had a lot of real fine cow girl shots especially during the half time show. Its amazing that the cowboys not really being a great team, appear to have a good shot of winning the division if they can split the remaining two games against the Giants.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
That's one of the main reasons I have been a Cowboy fan for 40 years....The Cheerleaders

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector