Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 3582 Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I think the lens is the same as the VW90. Might have to get Mark to confirm, but sharpness is probably the difference that occurs from unit to unit variance. Also, the VW90 and VW95 use the exact same SXRD chip and light engine. I really doubt it's better then the VW90 for 2D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3582 Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I don't think you Sony vw95es guys have anything to worry about when it comes to the RS-55 competing in motion for sports or gaming. I would be shocked if the JVC has anywhere nearly as good of motion or lag response time.

I've come to a different place with my projectors, that is I accept the flaws and move on, it's not like I will own the same projector more than a month anyhow (ok only a joke).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #183 of 3582 Old 11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Oz,

Thanks for the info. No worries on the price ... my room is still a few months away so I'm just pondering which way to go. Any thoughts on the 95 with a 3m wide 16:9 woven AT screen in a light controlled dedicated room ? 2D only !

Cheers,

No probs. I literally just got the invoice about 2hrs ago and was flawed by how much cheaper than the 90 the 95 is. So I can say confidently that if the US MSRP is quoted around $6999, then here in Oz, with our current kick arse exchange rate, you will find the retail here to be very palatable. As a pointer I can def say Australian commercial cost has blown the $US6k mark to smithereens frankly, so I'm even happier I upgraded to say the least. Lets hope they come through for me on the final pricing of the VW1000 as well when it's launched.

Can you quote that in diagonal screen size. I still deal in inches for screens. For 2D in a light controlled room, you could prob get away with 150". For me I'm using 110" and its sweet. I may well need to re-evaluate for the VW1000 due to the new 1.5 times screen height viewing distance rule of thumb for 4K lines.

post #184 of 3582 Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I don't think you Sony vw95es guys have anything to worry about when it comes to the RS-55 competing in motion for sports or gaming. I would be shocked if the JVC has anywhere nearly as good of motion or lag response time.

I've come to a different place with my projectors, that is I accept the flaws and move on, it's not like I will own the same projector more than a month anyhow (ok only a joke).

Having owned the VW90 and then the RS50. I think I can say that JVC has improved the motion a lot from the previous generations. There is NO FRINGING and running the FPD motion tests show really good motion on the JVC. I also found the 24p playback smoother, with less judder on the JVC vs. the Sony.

Where the Sony excelled at was artifact free FI for things like sports. Also, the JVC produced a very smooth 3D image even without FI.

Have you ever seen a VW90 or RS40 or RS50.

A lot of people have opinions on things that they have never seen. I would rather trust first hand reports or side by side comparisons.

The RS45 at the AVS preorder price is AMAZING. The RS45 will still have a better black level then the VW90.
post #185 of 3582 Old 11-02-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Yah, I've seen the RS40 and HD250 at showrooms only. I cannot judge crap from showrooms, I need to calibrate it myself to know anything. Every comparison I've done in my own room ended up being usually 10+ hours of calibration trying to get those color and gamma curve differences exactly flat to each other. Even a tiny difference in the gamma curve will completely ruin a shootout.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #186 of 3582 Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Having owned the VW90 and then the RS50. I think I can say that JVC has improved the motion a lot from the previous generations. There is NO FRINGING and running the FPD motion tests show really good motion on the JVC. I also found the 24p playback smoother, with less judder on the JVC vs. the Sony.

Where the Sony excelled at was artifact free FI for things like sports. Also, the JVC produced a very smooth 3D image even without FI.

Have you ever seen a VW90 or RS40 or RS50.

A lot of people have opinions on things that they have never seen. I would rather trust first hand reports or side by side comparisons.

The RS45 at the AVS preorder price is AMAZING. The RS45 will still have a better black level then the VW90.

If it were solely on black levels, then fine. But you are comparing non-competing products in the JVC and Sony range to start with. A HW-30 would be closer to compare. Plus, how many other factors come into why people buy a model like the 95 vs an RS-55 lets say. How ideal also is the viewing environment, not that many people can have a 'batcave' scenario. This time even the at MSRP level Sony seems to also have already won with the 95 over the 55. That's not a street comparison just an observation. Let's let see what happens when reviewers like Cine4home and some of the US guys get their hands on them. At the moment all I can say is once again I'm off the line, up and running, and already enjoying the performance of the 95.

post #187 of 3582 Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I have certain test content that I've watched over and over and over again across 10+ projectors that I can't wait to see how the RS-45 does. I will be writing a full review as soon as I get mine in.

post #188 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
joe. you mentioned the HW95 is dead silent.. is this true even in HIGH lamp mode, or this is only true in LOW lamp? (do you happen to have a RS meter to measure dB?) My projector will be located about 3 ft directly above my head, so I am quite sensitive to noise... Of course, when a movie start, you won't notice, but I really hate hearing it in silence moment...
post #189 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Joe - how do you think the 30 and 95 compared in brightness (2d & 3d)?

Are the MV3D's behaving as well as they did on the 30?

thanks for the info on the site. It's not much of a surprise considering how good the HW30 was for it's price point, they could only go up from there.

I am nuts about the FI in 3D, I can't see using a 3D projector now without it since it's crushes any possible flicker through the glasses. The JVC was flicker city.

SDI - make sure you trademark that phrase, i'm sure JVC will love it.

I have to say brightness is very close. Definitely not a night and day difference. The 30 does seem to have a slight edge there. Very slight. Oh and heck yeah the Monsters are performing just as well. Same results pretty much where they are just a little better than the Sonys.

I love the motion too! Both for 3D and sports! As for SDI, I miss that input. I also figured jvc could use an assist with naming their issue sine they have been so quit about it.

Thanks for reading Jason.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #190 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 04:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

joe. you mentioned the HW95 is dead silent.. is this true even in HIGH lamp mode, or this is only true in LOW lamp? (do you happen to have a RS meter to measure dB?) My projector will be located about 3 ft directly above my head, so I am quite sensitive to noise... Of course, when a movie start, you won't notice, but I really hate hearing it in silence moment...

Dead silent is in High Lamp Mode. I will clarify that. I never use low. I also noticed my comment about not detecting the Iris working at all is not there. Hmmmm.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #191 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great review Joe !

As a owner of the 95, I corroborate your finding.
post #192 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Actually, they are almost equal...

The rs40 has been measure to about 21k:1 and the Sony 18k:1

I dont think someone could really see the difference from the two.
post #193 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Great review Joe !

As a owner of the 95, I corroborate your finding.

Thanks Rick.

post #194 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Actually, they are almost equal...
The rs40 has been measure to about 21k:1 and the Sony 18k:1
I dont think someone could really see the difference from the two.

With the IRIS, the Sony should easily have the better black levels, unless the IRIS is doing nothing.

post #195 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for the awesome review Joe. Your time and effort put in the review is appreciated. Anyone want to purchase a slightly used 90? Extra bulb .

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #196 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

It is very interesting how Sony keeps closing the gap with Black Levels while JVC still does not with Motion. The 95 is also Sharper than the JVCs as well as their own 90ES of last year. It is getting harder and harder to justify a JVC over the Sonys these days.

Exactly my thoughts!
post #197 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 AM

Liked: 10
Joe, thanks for the in depth review, it removes any doubt I might have had with this choice. In the review, you said that you can use the Sony glasses at the same time as the Monster. Does this mean that the Sony glasses will pick up the RF signal or does the projector still emit the IR signal once you've hooked up the RF Monster emitter?

AVS shipped my 95ES yesterday, I should have opted for overnight shipping as UPS is showing a delivery date of Nov 9. That makes for a very long week. Everything else is in place, Oppo 93 already installed, Monster glasses to be delivered today, Chief RPAU will work with the new projector. Have I missed anything?
post #198 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 AM

Liked: 20
Jump on me. Beat me up. But the reiew needs revision.

It is totallly misleading and unprofessional to refer to a competing product as sounding like an electric razor. Spome people take you seriously when you say that. It may be somewhat noisier but . . . .

And it realy makes no difference if video is sent at video or pc levels. It just allows setting contrast and brightness to be more accurate by allowing bars above and below to be viewed. But one would have to set them incorrectly to have one different than the other in set up results. I think Joe is saying that he prefers not setting them correctly which of course anyone can so choose.

And once again SDI has a standard industry wide meaning. While a competitor to Sony had lamp issues last year, every indication is that the problem was solved with a new series of the lamp production.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Sony 95ES is a great machine, I have sold a lot, and we are shipping them out as fast as they arrive in, but I think any subjective review should be read as such and a reviewer should refrain from attacking a competing product in the way Joe did, knowingly or unknowingly. There are many impressionable newbies out there.

Joe and I are friends. I am sure he will take my comments at heart.
post #199 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 108
Quote:

Sorry, forgot to add the link from page 5. Now done there as well. Though it is much easier to just click on the right side of my main page on the 95.

Can someone just post the direct link to Joerod's review? I've tired multiple browsers, and still can't see the 95 on the home page or the link on page 5.
post #200 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Don't get me wrong. I think the Sony 95ES is a great machine, I have sold a lot, and we are shipping them out as fast as they arrive in, but I think any subjective review should be read as such and a reviewer should refrain from attacking a competing product in the way Joe did, knowingly or unknowingly. There are many impressionable newbies out there.

Generally, I agree... if he worked for an official review company or website. On his own personal web-page however, I think it's ok to write a review with more of personal opinion like an editorial. Since he only represents himself, it's only his personal style that matters. Sure, he can write something more like "When Comparing X to Y, I find the black levels of X to be much better." instead of "The black levels of Y look like they were faded in the sun for 10 years when compared to X." But I do find the second version to be more entertaining.
post #201 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

If it were solely on black levels, then fine. But you are comparing non-competing products in the JVC and Sony range to start with. A HW-30 would be closer to compare. Plus, how many other factors come into why people buy a model like the 95 vs an RS-55 lets say. How ideal also is the viewing environment, not that many people can have a 'batcave' scenario. This time even the at MSRP level Sony seems to also have already won with the 95 over the 55. That's not a street comparison just an observation. Let's let see what happens when reviewers like Cine4home and some of the US guys get their hands on them. At the moment all I can say is once again I'm off the line, up and running, and already enjoying the performance of the 95.

Not true. The JVC RS45 actually competes and beats the Sony 95 in native contrast, and to me is better with film and has a better 24p mode. If you were to compare the RS45 to the HW30, well then it's not a very good day for the Sony. The HW30 native contrast is about the same as a good LCD, and the lens is inferior with less sharpness, and non uniform focus over the entire screen.

The RS45 has the SAME lens as the RS55 and same everything else really. They do tweak the RS55 to get a "little" more native contrast (not much according to recent reviews) and of course the big feature this year is upscaling to 4k.

The Sony HW30 would be more comparable to the Panny 7000, not the JVC RS45.

Anyhow, I still might end up with a Sony or JVC. I'm not the biggest JVC fan right now with how they handled my defective RS50, but I don't hold grudges

Coderguy, you jump around to every thread and keep second guessing your choice and wondering if there is something better. I will tell you this. YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH THE RS45. People don't realize that unless you have two projectors side by side and do a split screen comparison. 90% of people would be happy with either the Sony or JVC. I would be really happy knowing that I got such a good deal from AVS on the RS45! That's if they fixed their Lamp issues.

One last thing, people should stop bad mouthing the JVC for motion. I'm really sensitive to motion issues and the JVC does very well. The FI is not as smooth as the Sony, but the JVC uses a more aggressive approach which gives more of the SOE but at the cost of some artifacting.

People have to remember that both of these machines have about a 2ms response time and without FI (which many don't use for film) they both preform very well with motion with film content with the slight edge for 24p playback to the JVC. The fringing that was an issue with the RS25 (and previous) is completely gone. No more red trails on scrolling white text, moving golf poles, etc.

For sports, I preferred the Sony because it is very slightly sharper, and the FI is more seamless.

For films, I preferred the JVC because of the better black level (very noticeable to me in my black walled bat cave), better 24p playback, and more natural colours (without calibration)

Of course if you wan't the best machine for sports, you should check out the Infoucs SP8602 which I recently bought. Neither the Sony or JVC can give you that looking out a window effect that the Infocus provides.
post #202 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Thanks for the awesome review Joe. Your time and effort put in the review is appreciated. Anyone want to purchase a slightly used 90? Extra bulb .

Thanks.

I will keep a look out for you in regards to selling your 90.

post #203 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:

It is very interesting how Sony keeps closing the gap with Black Levels while JVC still does not with Motion. The 95 is also Sharper than the JVCs as well as their own 90ES of last year. It is getting harder and harder to justify a JVC over the Sonys these days.

We all want a JVC with improved montion, but i think the quote above is just misleading. The 95 didn't improved on black level from the 90 and is a tid bit dimmer. The 30 didn't improved on black level from the 20. It is expected that RS45 has the same black level of RS40 but improved brightness. It is expected that RS55 will improve on black level and on brightness. So, for me, its not like Sony is closing the gap, at least not in this year.

I really wanted a Sony with greater native contrast!!!

And my doubts are : VW95 or RS45 + HC7800.

[]s Humberto
post #204 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by md1953 View Post

Joe, thanks for the in depth review, it removes any doubt I might have had with this choice. In the review, you said that you can use the Sony glasses at the same time as the Monster. Does this mean that the Sony glasses will pick up the RF signal or does the projector still emit the IR signal once you've hooked up the RF Monster emitter?

AVS shipped my 95ES yesterday, I should have opted for overnight shipping as UPS is showing a delivery date of Nov 9. That makes for a very long week. Everything else is in place, Oppo 93 already installed, Monster glasses to be delivered today, Chief RPAU will work with the new projector. Have I missed anything?

The Sony's Emitter still sends it off my screen and all over the room from there which is why the Sonys still work at the same time as the Monsters. No worries. I also posted a mini-Review of the Monsters showing pics of how to hook it them up.

post #205 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@mark...

thanks for posting that... i had been looking forward to this "review", and unfortunately, it reads like a fanboy screed...

glad joe takes the time to do stuff, so i'm not directly knocking him... just wish it was a "real review", as it likely would have been helpful to many of us...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #206 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

It is totallly misleading and unprofessional to refer to a competing product as sounding like an electric razor. Spome people take you seriously when you say that. It may be somewhat noisier but . . . .

I thought the same thing when I read that comment (as well as a few other remarks). If Joerods JVC truly sounded like an "electric razor", he had a defective unit. The Sony might be more quiet, but hell I cant even hear my RS40 in low lamp mode unless I shut off my preamp and listen for it. I remember how pleasantly surprised I was by how quiet it was in my VERY low noise floor dedicated HT. In high mode, it is a bit louder but I would say subjectively on par with my RS1 which was certainly not bad IMO.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts otherwise Joerod and thanks I have predicted all along that the 95 would be the overall unit to beat which certainly seems to be the case so far. Sounds like one nice projector!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #207 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:

The Sony's Emitter still sends it off my screen and all over the room from there which is why the Sonys still work at the same time as the Monsters. No worries. I also posted a mini-Review of the Monsters showing pics of how to hook it them up.

Joerod

Will the MonsterVision glasses work the the emitter in the 95ES, or do you also need to install the MonsterVision emitter?
post #208 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Jump on me. Beat me up. But the reiew needs revision.

And it realy makes no difference if video is sent at video or pc levels. It just allows setting contrast and brightness to be more accurate by allowing bars above and below to be viewed. But one would have to set them incorrectly to have one different than the other in set up results. I think Joe is saying that he prefers not setting them correctly which of course anyone can so choose.

And once again SDI has a standard industry wide meaning. While a competitor to Sony had lamp issues last year, every indication is that the problem was solved with a new series of the lamp production.

Joe and I are friends. I am sure he will take my comments at heart.

I knew you would call me out on the SDI thing again. Face it, SDI is about extinct. This is the only way to carry it on.

As for electric razor I am not the first to say that. Others have as well. As for "attacking" the competition I am just setting the bar JVC needs to get to this year to have a chance. The Sony 95 is priced super competitive and JVC needs to realize they can't make it on name recognition alone this time. Not after last year's fiasco. I plan to look at the 55 and if it is in order I will definitely state that. I am not happy JVC never answered any questions about the Lamp -Sudden Dimming Issue- which ended up occurring to each model I reviewed after I sold them of course.

As for PC level I only do that for football/sports. You once called me an eye candy extremist which I loved. For the NFL I do not want accuracy. I want rich, vibrant POP that can occur when you use a Simply (formerly DVDO) Duo or Edge Green (or any VP that has this function). I have told many others of this and have not had a single complaint against it. We love our sports with "kick" and if that means being nonaccurate then "F" accuracy.

And yes we are friends and I understand you have to sell all brands and will defend sometimes when the need arises. I on the other hand am being an unbiased consumer.

post #209 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I liked Joe's review, shows some spirit at least, and reviews are a pain to make.

I've learned a few hard lessons about writing reviews, the first thing you need to do is to temporarily hate all projectors for at least one reason, that is the first step in leveling the BIAS that exists in everyone's own mind. It's sort of like acting in a way, you literally have to act your way out of the BIAS to yourself. If you cannot find at least one reason to hate a projector you are reviewing, then you need to step back (I know this sounds extreme but it really does work).

I promise when I get the RS-45 in and do a review, it will be as non-bias as any single person could make it. Only problem is I've never had a RECENT MODEL higher-end Sony, maybe Sony will send me a reviewer unit once I get more of my sites completed so I can compare to the JVC (too busy with the calculator atm).

I use that mind game technique on myself and it works. I will be hating every projector as I'm writing a review
Much like some movie critiques can find something wrong with almost every movie.

post #210 of 3582 Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Dad View Post

Joerod

Will the MonsterVision glasses work the the emitter in the 95ES, or do you also need to install the MonsterVision emitter?

You will still need to attach their sensor just like so. It is very easy to do. Just PM Jason (Zombie10K) or myself and we will gladly walk you or anyone through it.
LL

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page