Ok here my impressions so far...
First, I am no expert, so it's only a personal opinion base on my specific taste and specific setup. Also, I am a french canadian, sorry for my english.
For reference, my last projector was :
- Panasonic PT-AE7000 (2 weeks only, sold but still in my room)
- Sony HW30 (Buy in September and sold, last week)
- JVC RS40 (Buy in May and sold 1 months ago)
Yeah, I know, I change often but I was seeking for a excellent 2D and 3D projector. I know DLP make good 3D but my goal and setup was really to use only one projector. DLP 3D projector can be hard to setup in my room and base on what is available right now, the 2D performance is not up to my taste.
Also, I would say up front that I will not talk about the Panasonic, I've been so disappointed with this projector, I will have to put my flame suite ON just to talk about it. So, my impression will compare only with the Sony HW30 and the RS40.Positives
- Sharpness freak...Meet your god. Wow this beast is sharp and clear. Sharper than the rs40 and the hw30. If you like to watch TV, sports, discovery channel kind of things, you will fall in love with the Sony 95. Every bit of detail is there. Of course blu ray film too are crystal but the biggest difference is perceived in high details programs.
- Image dynamic. Thats the major point I wish to upgrade on my HW30. The Sony HW30 is a great projector but the image dynamic on low light scene was not up to my taste. Problem solve with the Sony 95!
- Black level is very good. Better than the HW30 and equal to the RS40
- Grayscale and color "out of the box" is almost perfect
- The CMS works. No bugs. I repeat the CMS works. "What? A working CMS on a projector? Are you kidding me?" Yes, one last time : THE CMS WORKS !!!
- Image uniformity. No bright corner
- Motion is very good and excellent FI. Beat the rs40 easily.
- The best 3D projector I've seen! It's NOT perfect far from it, but it is awesome. For me, the HW30 was the best 3D so fare. The Sony 95 bring almost all the good of the HW30 : Pop-up, depth, good luminosity and vivid color. Also, the 95 bring is strength to the table : Image clarity, sharpness, dynamic and contrast. The image look way more natural, more dynamic and more 3D... So overall more convincing.
- Cannot explain technically why, but this is the less eye/brain fatigue 3D projector I've seen. Maybe related to the natural / sharp look, you dont have to force your vision or something like that... I dont know...
- The build-in 3D emitter is very strong and effective. Better than the HW30.Negatives
- Black level. Although the black level can compete with the best projector, it's not the best. The RS50 had better black in very low light scene. *By no mean this is a deal breaker. The black of the 95 are excellent and after reaching this kind of black, I am seeking for other advantages in a projector.
- 3D brightness. Could always be better. In my setup the HW30 was about 10% brighter. For now, the lamp is new so no problem (cannot really see the difference) but I have concern over time...
- 3D ghosting. Still present on the 95, you can spot ghosting here and there. By no mean it's a deal breaker but this machine will be incredible if the ghosting could be tame down (Maybe Monster glasses?)
That's it for now... Dont forget, first impression tend to change as we get use to the projector but so far I am very impress by the Sony 95.