Any experience with a Diamond Lamp as a replacement for original? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a JVC RS20 and am headed into my 4000th hour of use. The projector so far has served me quite well - though I'm getting 3D fever and plan to upgrade by the end of the year.

In searching out vendors for a replacement lamp, I discovered one who sold Diamond Lamps - described on the Diamond Lamps website as equivalent to the original JVC lamp, and MUCH lower in price.

Bottom line: I ordered the lamp, received it and placed it into the projector.
Upon powering the projector back up I noticed immediately that the picture didn't have the renewed punch which I typically see with a new lamp
(D-ILA logo just as dim as that experienced with the 2000 hour JVC lamp).

I contacted the vendor and have arranged return of the Diamond Lamp as defective. I am wondering whether I should expect the replacement lamp from Diamond Lamps to be any better, or should "bite the bullet" and put out the extra $100+ for an actual JVC lamp (possibly manufactured by the same company as the Diamond Lamp).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

DTGallagher, please keep us posted if the replacement is any better. A number of us here are trying to work out if there actually is a cheaper option for the high cost JVC lamps as there are a number of poor quality replacements around, so its hard to work out which are decent.
post #3 of 64 Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

DTGallagher, please keep us posted if the replacement is any better. A number of us here are trying to work out if there actually is a cheaper option for the high cost JVC lamps as there are a number of poor quality replacements around, so its hard to work out which are decent.

...will do, but I was hoping someone would provide ME with this information.
(This reply will help bump this up. Maybe someone here has some experience
with these lamps.
I'll need to make a decision how to handle this within the next couple of days.)
post #4 of 64 Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM

I'll bump the thread for you.
I have been reading about compatible lamps on various sites and noticed Diamond Lamps was an 'authorized' manufacturer by the industry with certification of lamp performance and quality by Philips and the Genuine Lamps Alliance, if that means anything. I haven't decided yet for myself and your post is not a good sign. I'm actually looking at the same lamps since I own a HD350.
Here is a brochure of Philips where they comment on DL, taken from the Genuine Lamps Alliance
I hope you get a good lamp in the end.
post #5 of 64 Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
According to the Genuine Lamps Alliance, only genuine lamps:

1. guarantee true colors
2. guarantee maximum life
3. have all the reassurance of legitimacy
4. are manufactured to high quality and safety standards

You know, like the lamps JVC used in their 2011 projector line...
post #6 of 64 Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I returned the defective lamp on Friday but the vendor didn't cover the $14 shipping charges! It also appears I won't have the replacement lamp until the manufacturer does testing to insure that the old lamp is defective!

(FWIW - I put the old JVC lamp back in the projector and noticed immediately that the picture was brighter than the one obtained with the NEW Diamond Lamp.)

(I want to post the name of the vendor but won't until I see further how this all plays out. It's not a vendor who advertises on the forum.)
post #7 of 64 Old 11-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Any updates?
post #8 of 64 Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

A replacement lamp is arriving soon - but without any confirmation that the
original lamp was bad.
I'm not feeling too "warm and fuzzy" about the new lamp being any better than the first one...

So far this has not been a very good experience.
(Bottom line: it would appear that attempting to find the cheapest vendor's
often not a very good idea.)
post #9 of 64 Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Brr, that's not good. We just received our Diamond Lamps replacement NP06LP bulb for our NEC NP3150 projector. I'm installing it today, hopefully it turns out OK.
post #10 of 64 Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Diamond lamps are kind of confusing to me, but I've never bought one to see whats actually stamped on the glass. Some of the websites make it sound like its Philips lamps in a generic housing. But, from what I read Diamond develops and manufacture replacement projector lamps, using bulbs identical to those originally supplied with the projector.

Also somewhere I read about a company that Philips acquired that built lamps, and then let them be endorsed by Philips, but the lamps still aren't actually built by Philips. The problem is I cannot remember if it was Diamond. But at least in the UK it appears Diamond is involved with Osram also.

So the best thing to do is the same that has been discussed in other threads, take the lamp/bulb out of the housing and see what info is on it. Is Philips stamp on the Diamond lamp? Does it give the specs? If so then should be easy to find a actual Philips lamp without a housing. I mean they are the one's that actually built the lamp for the RS20 line.

Still, it seems like if Philips is that involved with Diamond they should be OK. Yet Philips sold their TV' business out to Funai in USA & Canada. So Funai is in control of building them with using the Philips name. But in most of the rest of the world, especially Europe its still Philips building them. So that's certainly not the same.

Still, I don't see why its so hard to find a Philips lamp for the RS20 since the original was built by them. Where as the RS1 was not but I was able to find a Phillips for it.

This is kind of a boring link with Philips and Diamond talking to each other.

http://www.genuinelamps.org/video/dl/
post #11 of 64 Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member

If you got 4000 hrs on the original bulb why not just spend the extra $100 and get another 4000hrs instead of taking a chance with some knock-off bulb and the possible headaches, it will be $100 well spent. I'm sure all the 2011 JVC owners would love to get those kind of hours out of their expensive machines. And if I get the new line of JVCs I would love to get that kind of milage too.

Walter
post #12 of 64 Old 11-24-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

If you got 4000 hrs on the original bulb why not just spend the extra $100 and get another 4000hrs instead of taking a chance with some knock-off bulb and the possible headaches, it will be $100 well spent. I'm sure all the 2011 JVC owners would love to get those kind of hours out of their expensive machines. And if I get the new line of JVCs I would love to get that kind of milage too.

The old lamp has 2000 hours on it. It's the projector that's passing 4000 hours. This is the first "knock-off" lamp I'm attempting to use.
I had no problems with the original JVC lamp or its replacement (replaced at 2000 hours).
post #13 of 64 Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Even 2k hrs without a problem is pretty good compared to what last years models were getting. BUt it would be nice to find a good replacement bulb for less that will do the job and last.

Walter
post #14 of 64 Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, then just figure out the specs of the actual Philips lamp and buy one. Then you got the same that came in the JVC, just without the markup from JVC and whoever else it goes through. Actually Osram or Philips, and if it doesn't work right or hold up it would only be because you got a bad one, not because its a so called knock off.

I'm glad to have got away from the Iwasaki made JVC lamp in the RS1/RS2, because the Philips or Osram version works better and much cheaper. But its only because of being able to buy the actual lamp from a distributor without going through JVC, that makes it cost less.

But with the RS20 Philips is who built the lamp so a orginal Philips has to be the same. The box with JVC wrote on it don't mean anything, other than Philips sent it to them first.

I've seen a lot of hours on the RS1/RS2 Iwasaki made lamps also, but they love to flicker around 500 hours and the Philips is some brighter. Yes, I realize flicker has been a problem for lots of companies but every "JVC Iwasaki" version I been involved with did it.
post #15 of 64 Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Trying to find a qenuine bulb is difficult. Here are a number of posts on the same topic http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21171812
Looks like AVS will sell the bulb & housing, or myprojectorlamps will sell just the (original) bulb. I haven't been able to find any other bulb (not bulb & housing) sellers.
post #16 of 64 Old 11-24-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Trying to find a qenuine bulb is difficult. Here are a number of posts on the same topic http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21171812
Looks like AVS will sell the bulb & housing, or myprojectorlamps will sell just the (original) bulb. I haven't been able to find any other bulb (not bulb & housing) sellers.

well, if myprojectorlamps.com sells the SAME bulb, but without the housing, it would make sense to go that route. They even have a video on how to replace the bulb in the housing.....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #17 of 64 Old 11-29-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

The replacement lamp looks good. Now to see if I can get an update on what was discovered about the first Diamond Lamp - and whether I can get a refund on what I paid in shipping to send the lamp back to the vendor.
post #18 of 64 Old 12-04-2011, 03:57 AM

I installed our NP06LP Diamond Lamps replacement the other day and it looks as bright as the original, at least from memory. Hopefully it maintains its brightness.
post #19 of 64 Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Has there been any updates on Diamond Lamps? I want to order a new lamp soon and need to decide which to get.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #20 of 64 Old 12-24-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Has there been any updates on Diamond Lamps? I want to order a new lamp soon and need to decide which to get.

Mine's still running well.
post #21 of 64 Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Liked: 11
I installed a diamond lamp yesterday. My OEM lamp, BL-FS300B, had ~1000 hrs on it and I wanted a backup in case it goes out. I used my digital camera in manual mode as a light meter and the new lamp is as bright or maybe a tiny bit brighter than the old one. I'll update the thread if anything weird happens.
post #22 of 64 Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

I installed a new diamond lamp in my RS20 with 1000 hours on the original bulb (I use a large screen so need to replace bulbs more often). The diamond bulb is significantly brighter than my old bulb, from what I recall about the same as when it was new.

No issues so far (10 hours used only....), hopefully it doesn't dim too quickly.
post #23 of 64 Old 02-25-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Anyone had experience with www.projectorlampgenie.com? They list a BHL-5010s lamp for RS10/20/15/25 for $153.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #24 of 64 Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

I just bought my RS20 diamond lamp from them for $153. Good Service, communication and shipping. So far the bulb seems good (ask me @ 100 hours though...), and the diamond bulb comes with the bulb casing as well as the bulb making changeover easy.
post #25 of 64 Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 AM

Even with original JVC boxed lamp, there is no gurantee. Mine started to flicker at 1300 hours!

Founder | BullsEye Calibration | www.bullseyecal.co.nz
post #26 of 64 Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

I spoke a little too soon.... There is small yellow tinge on the right hand side of the projector, that was not there previously. I'll try swapping the old bulb back to see if it was there previously but I'm only noticing it with the brighter bulb.
post #27 of 64 Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

I spoke a little too soon.... There is small yellow tinge on the right hand side of the projector, that was not there previously. I'll try swapping the old bulb back to see if it was there previously but I'm only noticing it with the brighter bulb.

Very interested, please let us know how it works out - and good luck!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #28 of 64 Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Very interested, please let us know how it works out - and good luck!

Yes, me too. I need to order a bulb and have just started researching. What is the difference between the standard bulb and a "diamond" bulb?

Jeff
post #29 of 64 Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I just bought my RS20 diamond lamp from them for $153. Good Service, communication and shipping. So far the bulb seems good (ask me @ 100 hours though...), and the diamond bulb comes with the bulb casing as well as the bulb making changeover easy.

I ordered one of these yesterday from Projector Lamp Genie. It shipped yesterday and will arrive tomorrow. I was told by someone selling AV gear that these bulbs are inferior and "anyone who tries them ends up disappointed in the long run." The seller that told me that is reputable, so I am a bit conflicted. Not so conflicted that I could pass up paying $153 as opposed to $300+.

I will be doing a calibration when it has 100 hours on it and will track it's light output. BTW, the original bulb made it to 1400 hours before it became unwatchable.

Jeff
post #30 of 64 Old 03-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Wireless member

New lamp installed. Works perfectly. I have pics of the bulb(s) to post, but right now I am going into the theater to watch a movie with a lot of shadow detail in an opening scene - Thor.

Jeff
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page