Epson 6010 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 391 Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
let start off by saying that I know this is an Epson 6010 forum. I am looking at upgrading from 8350. As a fellow member, I know that we would want other members to be happy with their purchase.

So-my questions are:
a.) how does the Mits & 6010 compare in all aspects (2D,3D, brightness,
etc)?
b.) My 8350 is bright enough for my living room with ambient light, will the
Mits be bright enough?
c.) Anyone have side by side experience? or have witnessed both?

Thank you, when spending this much I, as anyone else, would like to be informed of any pros & cons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 391 Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had both in our demo area it is a toss up, more Epsons go out the door by far it just has more of a punch but I think the image on the Mitz is a bit smoother and more film like.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

908 578-6466

post #273 of 391 Old 04-08-2012, 02:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Your projector is not square to the screen...perhaps you need to twist it left or right to square up the edge.

Turned it left a bit and then adjusted. Image is perfectly square now.

Thanks.
post #274 of 391 Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStanic View Post

Turned it left a bit and then adjusted. Image is perfectly square now.

Thanks.

Cool, glad it worked out. Like I said I had the same issue and thought I had a jacked up something...now on to the movies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #275 of 391 Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Has Anyone used the Mount that comes with the 6010 in a vertical wall mount type set up...
Thinking of the 6010 but was just wondering if I could vertically mount the projector on the wall using the extended arm...
Would look more wife pleasing vs putting up a shelf

thanks
post #276 of 391 Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I was re-aligning my a-lens after resquaring the 6010 to the screen and again got the sense that the PJ's lens shift mechanism isn't very solid. Especially the vertical adjust. It seems as though it is only loosely connected/geared as it moves the lens up/down. It even introduces a slight shift horizontally as it moves up/down and the feel of the control wheel is a bit sloppy. It almost feels like it's not fully connected. I even adjust it slightly above where I want it bcz it generally sinks just a bit as I release the dial. I don't know how else to describe it. Is this a normal feeling in the dials or just mine? Thanks.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #277 of 391 Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I was re-aligning my a-lens after resquaring the 6010 to the screen and again got the sense that the PJ's lens shift mechanism isn't very solid. Especially the vertical adjust. It seems as though it is only loosely connected/geared as it moves the lens up/down. It even introduces a slight shift horizontally as it moves up/down and the feel of the control wheel is a bit sloppy. It almost feels like it's not fully connected. I even adjust it slightly above where I want it bcz it generally sinks just a bit as I release the dial. I don't know how else to describe it. Is this a normal feeling in the dials or just mine? Thanks.

Mine does the exact same thing and it is annoying for those of us with CIH setups who use it a lot switching between 2.35:1 and 16:9
post #278 of 391 Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I notice something similar if not what you are describing exactly. I squared my picture and it was perfect. Then, I checked it again a day later and the horizontal line at the bottom seems to have dropped ever so slightly. It still looks square, with a very, very slight horizontal shift as you describe, but it moves and I am pretty certain it is not my projector mount that is causing the shift. A little disturbing as once you set it you should never have to worry about it again unless you move things around. I take it this is the problem you are both describing. Regardless, I'm noticing this oddity with my projectors square line image whereby it drops ever so slightly on its own.

I wonder if they did not compensate for the projectors door opening and closing each time it's turned on/off as this would be the only potential movement that the projector would experience aside from physical movement.
post #279 of 391 Old 04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStanic View Post

I notice something similar if not what you are describing exactly. I squared my picture and it was perfect. Then, I checked it again a day later and the horizontal line at the bottom seems to have dropped ever so slightly. It still looks square, with a very, very slight horizontal shift as you describe, but it moves and I am pretty certain it is not my projector mount that is causing the shift. A little disturbing as once you set it you should never have to worry about it again unless you move things around. I take it this is the problem you are both describing. Regardless, I'm noticing this oddity with my projectors square line image whereby it drops ever so slightly on its own.

I wonder if they did not compensate for the projectors door opening and closing each time it's turned on/off as this would be the only potential movement that the projector would experience aside from physical movement.

My PJ has not moved in any direction since I installed it on March 10.
post #280 of 391 Old 04-22-2012, 05:26 PM

I have been using my Epson 6010 for approximately one month now. Awesome picture! Awesome 3D! Out of the Box THX mode was perfect for my viewing tastes. I am using a budget 120" HC Cinema white Visual Apex screen, glad I didn't spend $2000 on the Da-lite screen the dealer wanted me to buy. The picture looks every bit as good as the Dealers showroom with a screen one quarter of the price. I can't say enough about this projector and how well it performs. You lose yourself when watch THX 3D movies because they are so immersive. Anyone worried about video games on this projector should not be concerned. Trust me, I have my PC connected to my system and have been playing Battlefield 3 and Crysis every day and I can't tell the difference when I was playing them on my LCD monitor. The people who are knocking the response time of these Epson's are simply psychotic.
post #281 of 391 Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is this your first pj, if not what was your previous? I am looking to upgrade from 8350. Just waiting for Cedia '12 to see if Epson is putting out anything new. Have you done the firmware upgrade?
post #282 of 391 Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Not too many people seem to look in the "Screen" section of the forums. Not that I blame them, doesn't seem to exciting lmao. I made a thread in there asking for help about what type of screen to choose for this projector in my dedicated room which I described in the thread. If any of you get a chance, can you check out the thread? Here's the link

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1406573

I'm completely clueless when it comes to the screen
post #283 of 391 Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Not too many people seem to look in the "Screen" section of the forums. Not that I blame them, doesn't seem to exciting lmao.
I'm completely clueless when it comes to the screen

Using a 125" Vutec Brite White, 1.3 gain, 15' throw, and it seems fine. I do have a little ambient light. Did you read this review?
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...10/screens.php
It might help guide you.
post #284 of 391 Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for that, I just read it. It does help, and I'm pretty sure I know the gain that's good for me (1.0-1.1 with the 110" screen). I just don't know what the difference is between these screens I see for 3 times the cost with nearly identical specs. I don't know if there's something I'm missing, or those expensive screens are all gimmicks.
post #285 of 391 Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Well if your not sure about a screen, you might want to try to get one locally, Sears and Office Depot sell this one, Vutec Elegante Velvet black ELF5496 app. $470. Its similar to what I have. In case it doesn't work out for you, it should make for an easier return if you have those stores close.

Fixed screen, vinyl fabric with a reflective coating, velcro tension, and felt black borders. Having a felt black border will allow you to adjust the image a little bigger on the screen, so the edges of the image fade into the border. The material is easy to clean which, if you have children, could be important.

If you want to spend less money, I'd suggest you stay away from the roll type screens, and stick to one that is fixed flat on the wall. Higher price roll down types are maybe ok, but the cheaper ones may tend to get out of shape causing hassles?

I think most screen companies will send you a swatch of fabric to compare if you really want to look at the different materials too. Good luck with the choice.
post #286 of 391 Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM

I'm happy to say I just joined the ranks of 6010 owners!! A long overdue upgrade from the Panasonic PT-AX100U (5 yrs old) and what an improvement. I still have a lot to learn about this projectors capabilites but out of the box THX mode is great!. I used the Chief mount that came with to hang it. Very sturdy mount and easy to attach the projector. I got an amazing deal from programmergeek. Great service and upgraded to latest firmware for me, and shipped to me in a day! I had a ton of handshake issues with my old panny and new denon 3312CI, but everything works smoothly with the 6010. I'm going to probably upgrade my screen soon from the Elite high contrast gray screen that I currently have so something with a little higher gain. The split screen feature is great. I can watch hockey on one side while doing P90x on the other. Only set back is they both cant be HDMI. I have one Bluray on component. Overall, very satisfied with this projector.
post #287 of 391 Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Well if your not sure about a screen, you might want to try to get one locally, Sears and Office Depot sell this one, Vutec Elegante Velvet black ELF5496 app. $470. Its similar to what I have. In case it doesn't work out for you, it should make for an easier return if you have those stores close.

Fixed screen, vinyl fabric with a reflective coating, velcro tension, and felt black borders. Having a felt black border will allow you to adjust the image a little bigger on the screen, so the edges of the image fade into the border. The material is easy to clean which, if you have children, could be important.

If you want to spend less money, I'd suggest you stay away from the roll type screens, and stick to one that is fixed flat on the wall. Higher price roll down types are maybe ok, but the cheaper ones may tend to get out of shape causing hassles?

I think most screen companies will send you a swatch of fabric to compare if you really want to look at the different materials too. Good luck with the choice.

Thanks for the information! The type of screen I'm looking for is a fixed flat screen that will stay on the wall in a dedicated room.

How would something like this do?

http://www.projectorscreensdirect.co...MW-VU2712.html

And what is the difference, may I ask, between the screen I just posted a link on, and this one...

http://www.projectorscreensdirect.co...BW-VU1997.html

What makes one screen more expensive then the other?
post #288 of 391 Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, I just found this. How would this do?

http://www.projectorscreensdirect.co...1-ELI1606.html
post #289 of 391 Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Any of those would do fine with this projector. If you notice, 2 are matte finishes, less gain, the 2nd link material is BriteWhite enhanced coating for more gain with several material options, ie., acoustic material.

Prices vary quite a bit from different sources. My screen was $1300 from one dealer, and I found a better deal for $900, shop around and you might find it cheaper. Prices are what sellers think they can sell 'em for, marked up for their profit.

Compare prices on similar specs/features incl., gain if you want brighter, or grey if you want better blacks. I don't do "critical" viewing myself, so I compromised with a 1.3 gain white screen which suited me fine. Good for sports, normal tv viewing, and an occasional movie. You might get more opinions in the dedicated screen threads?
post #290 of 391 Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

I've noticed big price differences between what I thought were the same screens on different sites. I guess they were the same screens lol.

I did make a dedicated thread for this in the screen section but haven't gotten many replies. My local dealer where I'm buying the projector from deals Draper, DaLite and Screen Innovations. A screen from one of those brands would be nice, maybe he can give me a better deal on one since I'm buying the projector from him as well.
post #291 of 391 Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

He might can get you a deal? I was able to find some more posts to add to your confusion or inform, in the screen thread. Some nice informative write ups on varying materials etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773065
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=240074
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=262466
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=228371
post #292 of 391 Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, thanks for the links! I'm gonna read up on those for sure
post #293 of 391 Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I've got a Dalite Hi Power screen with my JVC-RS2. Its 106" diagonal with the projector mounted 16.5" from the screen, almost dead center with the screen (no offset). I'm thinking of upgrading to the Epson 6010. Do you think there would be too much light output with this screen?
post #294 of 391 Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 PM

We just calibrated our 6010 and its worth the effort, its a big improvement over the stock THX setting. This is one amazing projector for $3000
post #295 of 391 Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post

We just calibrated our 6010 and its worth the effort, its a big improvement over the stock THX setting. This is one amazing projector for $3000

$3000? Do you mind telling me where you got this for 3000? You can PM me if you'd like
post #296 of 391 Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

$3000? Do you mind telling me where you got this for 3000? You can PM me if you'd like

sorry, I paid $3500...I was speaking in general terms. Even at $4,000, the image is amazing.
post #297 of 391 Old 04-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post

sorry, I paid $3500...I was speaking in general terms. Even at $4,000, the image is amazing.

Oh okay lol. I'm looking forward to owning this projector in the near future as soon as my room is done, ill post some pics
post #298 of 391 Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I hadn't watched a BluRay for a few weeks, had only been watching broadcast HD from DISH DVR, wow does BluRay ever look incredible on the 6010, yikes! If only broadcast HD looked anything like that, it is jaw dropping...
post #299 of 391 Old 04-29-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Here's Art's final impressions of the 2012 mid-priced projectors.

"I had to go with the Epson Home Cinema 5010 and Pro Cinema 6010 for Best In Class in the $2000 – $3500 range. Normally, with a Home Cinema and a similar Pro Cinema projector from Epson we only give out the single award, but this year, there’s enough difference to consider them two separate products, if very similar. Great brightness, great blacks, great support, and th rest is pretty good too!

We did come up with a pair of runner-ups, and they might surprise you. Hey, they surprised me. Not that either of them picked up the Runner-up award, but that one projector didn’t.

The Best In Class Runner-up projector award in the $2000-$3500 price Class, go to the Panasonic PT-AE7000, and the BenQ W7000. These two are pretty different products, but both are excellent choices.

And that brings us to the one that didn’t make it. That would be the JVC DLA-RS45 – also sold as the DLA-X30. It too is one fine projector with great blacks for the price, and an overall, classy projector. It just came up well short of all the award winners when it comes to 3D. I considered a 2D only award, but then, the JVC is a 2D and 3D capable projector. Didn’t seem fair. So, my point is, it’s a really impressive 2D projector, also worthy of consideration, despite the lack of one of the report awards."
post #300 of 391 Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Here's Art's final impressions of the 2012 mid-priced projectors.

"I had to go with the Epson Home Cinema 5010 and Pro Cinema 6010 for Best In Class in the $2000 - $3500 range. Normally, with a Home Cinema and a similar Pro Cinema projector from Epson we only give out the single award, but this year, there's enough difference to consider them two separate products, if very similar. Great brightness, great blacks, great support, and th rest is pretty good too!

We did come up with a pair of runner-ups, and they might surprise you. Hey, they surprised me. Not that either of them picked up the Runner-up award, but that one projector didn't.

The Best In Class Runner-up projector award in the $2000-$3500 price Class, go to the Panasonic PT-AE7000, and the BenQ W7000. These two are pretty different products, but both are excellent choices.

And that brings us to the one that didn't make it. That would be the JVC DLA-RS45 - also sold as the DLA-X30. It too is one fine projector with great blacks for the price, and an overall, classy projector. It just came up well short of all the award winners when it comes to 3D. I considered a 2D only award, but then, the JVC is a 2D and 3D capable projector. Didn't seem fair. So, my point is, it's a really impressive 2D projector, also worthy of consideration, despite the lack of one of the report awards."

I can't believe he dissed JVC. I hope he has a thick skin and is still allowed to post on these forums.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page