post #91 of 391 Old 01-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

No. The 6______ series stuff is not allowed by Epson to be sold over the internet or outside a dealer's territory. Reportedly, if Epson catches a dealer doing this they would lose the ability to sell any Epson series. AV Science does not sell the 6____ seies. We sell the 5____ series.

Got it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 391 Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
For those with Constant Image Height (CIH) setups how convenient is it to adjust the vertical lens shift (to get it exact when switching between 16:9 programming and 2.35:1 programming) and does the projector lock into that position well without the control drifting/moving over time?
post #93 of 391 Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

For those with Constant Image Height (CIH) setups how convenient is it to adjust the vertical lens shift (to get it exact when switching between 16:9 programming and 2.35:1 programming) and does the projector lock into that position well without the control drifting/moving over time?

Once you set your picture for the first time for 16x9 and then for 2.35:1 there is no other adjusting needed. I do not have any problems with drifting.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #94 of 391 Old 01-25-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

Once you set your picture for the first time for 16x9 and then for 2.35:1 there is no other adjusting needed. I do not have any problems with drifting.

With the Epson and no anamorphic lens if you have a CIH setup you have to change zoom and vertical lens shift everytime you switch between watching 16:9 and 2.35:1 programming
post #95 of 391 Old 01-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

With the Epson and no anamorphic lens if you have a CIH setup you have to change zoom and vertical lens shift everytime you switch between watching 16:9 and 2.35:1 programming

You just pretty much answered your own question then, without an anamorphic lens or an external video processor, the manual zoom method would be the only way to fill a CIH screen going from 16x9 to 2.35:1 and back again. Now it would depend on the individual and projector location on how convenient it would be as the dials for zoom and shift move quite easily and to get the picture exact would not be difficult, you could probably do it in 5 seconds and it should not drift.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #96 of 391 Old 01-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the best way of getting 2.35 ... the zoom way or the anamorphic lens way. Is there a difference in the image?
post #97 of 391 Old 01-25-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You just pretty much answered your own question then, without an anamorphic lens or an external video processor, the manual zoom method would be the only way to fill a CIH screen going from 16x9 to 2.35:1 and back again. Now it would depend on the individual and projector location on how convenient it would be as the dials for zoom and shift move quite easily and to get the picture exact would not be difficult, you could probably do it in 5 seconds and it should not drift.

No! Re-read my original question. I asked about how difficult it is to use the vertical shift control to set an exact position and if the position drifts over time. The question was aimed at 5010/6010 owners with CIH setups. I do this trick with my current projector but want to make sure it works well on 5010/6010.
post #98 of 391 Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 PM

I posted my frustrations with the 6010 earlier..l was getting a pink cast on the right side of the screen only noticable when viewing black and white movies..but l am an old movie buff and have a lot of black and white dvd,s so having a correct picture is very important to me. I called Epson for a replacement ..they did not have an 6010 projectors in stock..finnaly they came in and l arrangedfor areplacement. WELL the replacement came today..the horizontal and vertical adjustments are completely broken..the do not work, and make a BROKEN CRACKING sound when you use them..and the lens projects a smudge on the screen..upon further inspection..the smudge is not on the outside of the lens..it is ON THE INSIDE OF THE LENS!!!..they sent me a USED PEICE OF GARBAGE THAT SOMEONEELSE OBVIOUSLY SET BACK AND THE SENT IT ON TO ME WITH WITHOUT FIXING IT. I paid for new and want a new replacement. When l originally posted my problem here, a couple of others raved about what good warranty service Epson has..what good is quick replacement if the replacement projector is CRAP!!???
I strongly advice people to stay away from Epson.
At this point l want my money back..l don't want to deal with a company thatsends me crap replacement. ..they have NO quality control. I should have purchased another brand. Multicat
post #99 of 391 Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicat View Post

I posted my frustrations with the 6010 earlier..l was getting a pink cast on the right side of the screen only noticable when viewing black and white movies..but l am an old movie buff and have a lot of black and white dvd,s so having a correct picture is very important to me. I called Epson for a replacement ..they did not have an 6010 projectors in stock..finnaly they came in and l arrangedfor areplacement. WELL the replacement came today..the horizontal and vertical adjustments are completely broken..the do not work, and make a BROKEN CRACKING sound when you use them..and the lens projects a smudge on the screen..upon further inspection..the smudge is not on the outside of the lens..it is ON THE INSIDE OF THE LENS!!!..they sent me a USED PEICE OF GARBAGE THAT SOMEONEELSE OBVIOUSLY SET BACK AND THE SENT IT ON TO ME WITH WITHOUT FIXING IT. I paid for new and want a new replacement. When l originally posted my problem here, a couple of others raved about what good warranty service Epson has..what good is quick replacement if the replacement projector is CRAP!!???
I strongly advice people to stay away from Epson.
At this point l want my money back..l don't want to deal with a company thatsends me crap replacement. ..they have NO quality control. I should have purchased another brand. Multicat

I'm sorry about your experience. I don't blame you for being upset. The 6010 is their premium PRO line with the advanced warranty. They should be bending backward to please you. I've had Epsons for years and have had very good experiences with their products and warranty service. I have the 6010 and am very happy with it so far, but if I were in your shoes, I would be really mad and likely react just like you.

If you want to pursue it, talk to a higher-up and I'm sure you can get a brand new 6010. If not, demand a refund. If they won't refund, document the issue and dispute with your credit card company.
post #100 of 391 Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krykuss View Post

What's the best way of getting 2.35 ... the zoom way or the anamorphic lens way. Is there a difference in the image?

The anamorphic lens way is the best way especially with the 5010 or 6010 as they have manual zoom and lens shift. There is a difference in image such that if you use the zoom method you are zooming the black bars off of the screen which in turn you lose something like 20% pixel density. With the anamorphic lens you do not lose any pixel density, now as for the difference, you might not even notice it but it is easier to use the lens.

post #101 of 391 Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I finally gave up waiting for the 61000. I purchased the 6010 with the lens kit from epson (I know it's a rebranded panamorph). Projector and lens are getting hung today. Can't wait to test it out!
post #102 of 391 Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The anamorphic lens way is the best way especially with the 5010 or 6010 as they have manual zoom and lens shift. There is a difference in image such that if you use the zoom method you are zooming the black bars off of the screen which in turn you lose something like 20% pixel density. With the anamorphic lens you do not lose any pixel density, now as for the difference, you might not even notice it but it is easier to use the lens.

I wonder if the person who asked the question knows what anamorphic lenses cost, probably as much if not more than the projector! That's why I do the vertical lens shift/zoom trick for my CIH setup.
post #103 of 391 Old 01-27-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

5010/6010 owners who have tried glasses other than the Epson glasses (e.g., Monster 3d glasses, Sony Playstation 3D glasses) can you please post your comparison re: comfort, brightness, tint, ghosting, etc.?
post #104 of 391 Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

If you request a 24/48 hour replacement projector from Epson you are going to get a refurbished unit - not a new one. Epson does offer an alternative and that is to have your own unit repaired. It allegedly takes a ten day turnaround.

I do keep a spare projector handy so if necessary I think I would opt for having my own unit repaired rather than getting one that was in the "pool" of refurbished projectors. No telling what those units have gone through and how many times they have been returned.
post #105 of 391 Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Master View Post

If you request a 24/48 hour replacement projector from Epson you are going to get a refurbished unit - not a new one. Epson does offer an alternative and that is to have your own unit repaired. It allegedly takes a ten day turnaround.

I do keep a spare projector handy so if necessary I think I would opt for having my own unit repaired rather than getting one that was in the "pool" of refurbished projectors. No telling what those units have gone through and how many times they have been returned.

In the past Epson has been very good about replacement. If you have convergence errors you can speak to higher level tech support and they will probably send out a new projector instead of a refurb.
post #106 of 391 Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone posted in 5010/6010 under $3K forum:

Originally Posted by dna
In reading the posts here and in private email, it appears that Epson has a problem with ceiling-mounted (upside down) 5010/6010 installation. An Epson representative has said that is true and that they are working on a solution. This Epson employee suggested not mounting the projector on the ceiling (which as we know is how most HT owners mount them).

I have no idea what percentage of 5010/6010 customers are having convergence problems when the projector is ceiling mounted. I'm guessing that some customers aren't bothered by their pixel misalignment or are exchanging their projectors without even trying to adjust pixel misalignment.

As much as I like my 5010 (I didn't have any convergence problems with my 5010 but it is not mounted upside-down), I would be reluctant recommending the 5010/6010 to anyone planning on ceiling mounting it until Epson fixes this problem.

----------------------------------

Has anyone else talked to Epson about this? I'm looking at buying a 6010 but want a ceiling mount (using the included ceiling mount that comes with the 6010!) so this makes me think I should wait until/if Epson starts shipping projectors with this fixed. This also may explain why so many people post about returning/swapping their 5010/6010 due to convergence problems, perhaps many of these people are doing ceiling mounts. If the Epson rep really did recommend not doing a ceiling mount that is truly idiotic considering the 6010 ships with a ceiling mount included!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #107 of 391 Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an Epson 6010 on order and have some questions…

The Epson 6010 includes a spare lamp. How does the warranty work for the spare lamp for the 6010? For example if 5010/6010 lamps have say a 90-day warranty what does this mean for the spare lamp included with the 6010 since there would be no reason to install it right away. Or does the 6010 not ship with a spare lamp but ships with a certificate redeemable for a spare lamp whenever one is needed?

I was reading the owners manual (online PDF) last night and see that there is a 3D Depth setting (what are people’s opinions of owners who have played with it? What is the default?) and a 3D Brightness setting for the glasses that says it isn’t available if the 3D Format is set to Auto re: what format 3D is sent to projector from source device (e.g., 3D Bluray, .mpo file). So what format is 3D BluRay? What format is a 3D .mpo file? I’m trying to figure out if it will be possible to switch 3D format from Auto to one of the other values so the 3D Brightness setting isn’t disabled. BTW I have an Oppo BDP-93 player.
post #108 of 391 Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I have an Epson 6010 on order and have some questions…

The Epson 6010 includes a spare lamp. How does the warranty work for the spare lamp for the 6010? For example if 5010/6010 lamps have say a 90-day warranty what does this mean for the spare lamp included with the 6010 since there would be no reason to install it right away. Or does the 6010 not ship with a spare lamp but ships with a certificate redeemable for a spare lamp whenever one is needed?

I was reading the owners manual (online PDF) last night and see that there is a 3D Depth setting (what are people’s opinions of owners who have played with it? What is the default?) and a 3D Brightness setting for the glasses that says it isn’t available if the 3D Format is set to Auto re: what format 3D is sent to projector from source device (e.g., 3D Bluray, .mpo file). So what format is 3D BluRay? What format is a 3D .mpo file? I’m trying to figure out if it will be possible to switch 3D format from Auto to one of the other values so the 3D Brightness setting isn’t disabled. BTW I have an Oppo BDP-93 player.

The 6010 comes with the spare lamp. Several people have told me that Epson will honor the replacement of a bad spare lamp even after the 90 days expires as long as its within the 3-year general warranty period.
post #109 of 391 Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM

I'm wondering the same thing.

I contacted PP today and was told they have sold hundreds of these projectors mostly ceiling mounted and no one has complained. PP even asked their customer service dept today and came back and said no one knows of this issue. PP will contact Epson to see if it is a valid problem. So, I'm going to wait a few days to see what they find out. It

Quote:

Someone posted in 5010/6010 under $3K forum:

----------------------------------

Has anyone else talked to Epson about this? I'm looking at buying a 6010 but want a ceiling mount (using the included ceiling mount that comes with the 6010!) so this makes me think I should wait until/if Epson starts shipping projectors with this fixed. This also may explain why so many people post about returning/swapping their 5010/6010 due to convergence problems, perhaps many of these people are doing ceiling mounts. If the Epson rep really did recommend not doing a ceiling mount that is truly idiotic considering the 6010 ships with a ceiling mount included!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #110 of 391 Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tme_2_Ride View Post

I'm wondering the same thing.

I contacted PP today and was told they have sold hundreds of these projectors mostly ceiling mounted and no one has complained. PP even asked their customer service dept today and came back and said no one knows of this issue. PP will contact Epson to see if it is a valid problem. So, I'm going to wait a few days to see what they find out. It

I saw a 5010 at a dealer last night and pulled up the convergence pattern (accessible via remote control) and it was PERFECT and the projector was ceiling mounted slightly above the top of the image. So that makes me question the claim there is a consistent inherent flaw in ceiling mounting the projector.
post #111 of 391 Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My 6010 is ceiling mounted. No issues here.
post #112 of 391 Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks all. I was scratching my head on that one. I'm replacing a Panny AE700 which is still running good but i want to upgrade for a better picture and didn't want to walk into any immediate problems. The old Panny is like 8 yrs old and no issues except a bulb replacement every few years.

Nice theater Jackal!
post #113 of 391 Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Ceiling mounted here with no issues

post #114 of 391 Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 PM

Also have the 6010. Just realized it doesn't do 24fps. Anybody here aware of this?
post #115 of 391 Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 152
What do you mean it doesn't do 24fps?
I would assume it defaults to 5:5 pulldown for 24fps when CFI is not enabled.

At 120 Hz 5:5 pulldown from 24 frame/s video is possible meaning all frames are on screen for the same 42 milliseconds.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #116 of 391 Old 02-01-2012, 05:23 AM

If that is the case, it doesn't look like 24fps. I ran a test disc that lets you look at patterns for 24fps and it wasn't right. Hmmm
post #117 of 391 Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynpanman View Post

If that is the case, it doesn't look like 24fps. I ran a test disc that lets you look at patterns for 24fps and it wasn't right. Hmmm

What test/pattern are you using and how do you substantiate a fail (doesn't look right)?

*I assume your are using the HDMI input correct?

post #118 of 391 Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

What test/pattern are you using and how do you substantiate a fail (doesn't look right)?

*I assume your are using the HDMI input correct?

It's a spears and munsil disc. And yes i'm using HDMI. It's super easy to spot the difference between 24fps and 60fps. When I called epson they said it supports 24 50 and 60fps. Guess that's it than and i'm completely wrong.. it happens !
post #119 of 391 Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 AM
fpr

In 6010/5010, Is it possible to activate the dynamic iris with the 3D?

Thanks.
post #120 of 391 Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpr View Post

In 6010/5010, Is it possible to activate the dynamic iris with the 3D?

Thanks.

No it isn't available with 3D

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page