post #181 of 391 Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhightower View Post

Can someone tell me how long the power cord is? Based on my room ceiling I may need to hang the projector a good 2.5 to 3 feet from the ceiling to align the projector near the top of the screen, so want to make sure that's even feasible.

My projector is maybe a foot above the top of the screen and it was very easy to adjust the image down. At first I angled the projector down but that introduced the need to adjust the keystone, so I tried pointing it straight ahead, more or less horizontal, and turned a knob to bring the image down onto the screen, and there was no keystoning effect at all. The power cord seemed fairly long but I don't recall exactly. You could always use a short extension cord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 391 Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhightower View Post

I plan on picking one of these bad boys up soon once I get a few details ironed out on setup since this will be my first projector in our theater room.

Can someone tell me how long the power cord is? Based on my room ceiling I may need to hang the projector a good 2.5 to 3 feet from the ceiling to align the projector near the top of the screen, so want to make sure that's even feasible.

The power cord is WAY longer than 3 feet, I think it is at least 8 ft long. If you really need me to measure, I can....but for sure more than 3 ft.
post #183 of 391 Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Liked: 10
Ok, good to know. Don't need an actual measurement in that case.
post #184 of 391 Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

I just saw happyfeet 2 there was way to much ghosting on the epson.

Its above my tolerance..... a pitty

Did somebody else has seen this movie on the epson also?

That movie isn't my cup of tea but I'm curious how you had the Epson setup, which picture mode (3D Dynamic?), what were the glasses setting (medium? high?), what is your screen gain? are you using Epson glasses?

Can you elaborate on "way too much ghosting", was it happening every few minutes? or how frequent?

I watched Sammy's Adventure on my 6010 in 3D Dynamic mode with glasses set to high and saw no ghosting even in the scenes that Zombie used in the 5010/HW30/W7000/RS45 comparison thread as a torture test. I have a 1.3 gain screen.
post #185 of 391 Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I know a Chief mount comes with this, but does anyone know the specific model? I haven't seen that posted anywhere.....
post #186 of 391 Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodshook View Post

I know a Chief mount comes with this, but does anyone know the specific model? I haven't seen that posted anywhere.....

Chief RPA Elite, Model CHF2500 (black) for Epson Pro Cinema.

Joe Clark

post #187 of 391 Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Chief RPA Elite, Model CHF2500 (black) for Epson Pro Cinema.

thats a pretty nice mount that you get for free
post #188 of 391 Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gktexas View Post

thats a pretty nice mount that you get for free

Well, technically it is not free....since there is price difference between the 5010 and 6010, you are paying for the mount.

But if you need it, it is a great combo deal. The mount is STELLAR!
post #189 of 391 Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Mount is great and easy to use
post #190 of 391 Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 on mount
post #191 of 391 Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I've already got a chief mount that should work just fine with the 6010.... so if I decide to get this PJ I'll see if the dealer will discount it to keep the mount or I'll just sell it on eBay or something.
post #192 of 391 Old 03-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Got this projector last week and temporarily set it up. My current screen is 92", permanent install will be 110" at least. Screen gain is 1.2.

FANTASTIC picture on anything we have watched. Have not got a 3D disk yet, but the 2D-3D looked great.

Only complaint, when I switch cable channels on Comcast HD box, the picture goes black until the signal is processed. Dealer gave me hint to go into Comcast menu, no difference.

Any suggestions???
post #193 of 391 Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundgrubs View Post

Got this projector last week and temporarily set it up. My current screen is 92", permanent install will be 110" at least. Screen gain is 1.2.

FANTASTIC picture on anything we have watched. Have not got a 3D disk yet, but the 2D-3D looked great.

Only complaint, when I switch cable channels on Comcast HD box, the picture goes black until the signal is processed. Dealer gave me hint to go into Comcast menu, no difference.

Any suggestions???

If your output resolution on the cable box is set to native and you are using HDMI, try forcing only 1080i output. This will reduce the HDMI Handshake.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #194 of 391 Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 AM

The problem with this solution is that by not selecting native and by selecting say 1080i on the box, this will force the box to convert 720p to 1080i and then the projector will have to convert it to 1080p, instead of sending it out as 720p unprocessed by the box and then having the projector scale it to 1080p. Set top boxes usually have very poor deinterlacer/scalers and it is best to bypass them by selecting native in them if available and then letting the projector do it in one step. So while setting your box to one resolution instead of native, your picture quality might suffer for resolutions other than the one set in the box.

The problem of the picture going dark when switching resolutions is not a defect in the projector, rather its a design issue. I could suggest another work around but its not cheap though its something I use. I use an external video processor to convert native outputs from my set top box (720p and 1080i) to 1080p. he video processor is designed properly and has virtually no lag in locking on and converting different input resolutions and this allows me to essentially bypass all video up conversions including the need to have the projector do it. Generally, a video processsor will have better upconversion than anything else in one's system. Two to consider would be the DVDO Duo and the Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D. If you have any questions about adding a processor please feel free to give us a call.
post #195 of 391 Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

That movie isn't my cup of tea but I'm curious how you had the Epson setup, which picture mode (3D Dynamic?), what were the glasses setting (medium? high?), what is your screen gain? are you using Epson glasses?

Can you elaborate on "way too much ghosting", was it happening every few minutes? or how frequent?

I watched Sammy's Adventure on my 6010 in 3D Dynamic mode with glasses set to high and saw no ghosting even in the scenes that Zombie used in the 5010/HW30/W7000/RS45 comparison thread as a torture test. I have a 1.3 gain screen.

Hello sorry for my late reply.

The glasses was set to medium in 3d dynamic mode.

I used the epson glasses.

My screen gain is 1.0

It was almost every few minutes.
post #196 of 391 Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I've looked at Sammy's Adventures and subtle ghosting is definitely there. Near the beginning when Sammy is first floating on his raft and just sitting there you will see ghosting to the right of his head a few times, but only for a second or two. There are several other scenes with ghosting as well throughout the movie. Once you notice it, and you have to be pretty sensitive to see it, you're pretty much done -- you can't help but look for it. I couldn't see ghosting with Happy Feet 2 at first, but once I looked hard for it I saw it. Ignorance is bliss! If you don't see any then be happy and don't worry about it. I use a 2.8 gain 120" HP screen with the Epson usually to 3D THX mode and glasses at medium. sometimes I use dynamic mode with glasses at medium or high depending on what I'm watching and whether or not ghosting is present. If no ghosting then I kick the brightness to max!
post #197 of 391 Old 03-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hoping to upgrade to 5010/6010 this summer from 8350. Few questions/comments first:

I am hoping to see night and day difference true?
Thought about A-lens further down the road
- where have many of yall purchased yours lens?
- best bang for buck brand/model?
- i saw epson has their A-lens kit, is it available yet? No price on website.
- i am aware of zoom method, inquiring about other options.
- still educating myself about anamorphic.

Thank you for your time and help
post #198 of 391 Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawie01 View Post

Hoping to upgrade to 5010/6010 this summer from 8350. Few questions/comments first:

I am hoping to see night and day difference true?
Thought about A-lens further down the road
- where have many of yall purchased yours lens?
- best bang for buck brand/model?
- i saw epson has their A-lens kit, is it available yet? No price on website.
- i am aware of zoom method, inquiring about other options.
- still educating myself about anamorphic.

Thank you for your time and help

You might want to check the CIH forum for your questions concerning anamorphic lens. You'll find much more info there than in an Epson thread.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #199 of 391 Old 03-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Steve. Give me a call please.
post #200 of 391 Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Noticed a small issue with my new Epson 6010 projector last night. So far the picture quality has been great as described by everyone else. My unit also warms up with the green lamp first, but the color would become normal after a few minutes. Based on what I've read here so far, that seems to be normal. However when I tried to watch a blu-ray last night (through PS3), during the warm up process, my projector all of a sudden just shut down, the lens door closed on its own, and the two red lights (lamp light and temperature light) started flashing simultaneously, while the fan also got louder. I was able to turn the projector off completely simply with the "standby" button on the remote (without unplugging the power cord). I was then able to power on the projector with my remote again, and everything seems to work perfectly afterward. I was able to watch the entire blu-ray without any issue. I've watched 3-4 blu-rays so far and a few cable programs, all without any issue. This is my first Epson projector. I owned an old Pansonic projector in the past and have never seen this kind of problem. Has anyone seen this kind of issue with Epson projectors before? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks.
post #201 of 391 Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybob View Post

Noticed a small issue with my new Epson 6010 projector last night. So far the picture quality has been great as described by everyone else. My unit also warms up with the green lamp first, but the color would become normal after a few minutes. Based on what I've read here so far, that seems to be normal. However when I tried to watch a blu-ray last night (through PS3), during the warm up process, my projector all of a sudden just shut down, the lens door closed on its own, and the two red lights (lamp light and temperature light) started flashing simultaneously, while the fan also got louder. I was able to turn the projector off completely simply with the "standby" button on the remote (without unplugging the power cord). I was then able to power on the projector with my remote again, and everything seems to work perfectly afterward. I was able to watch the entire blu-ray without any issue. I've watched 3-4 blu-rays so far and a few cable programs, all without any issue. This is my first Epson projector. I owned an old Pansonic projector in the past and have never seen this kind of problem. Has anyone seen this kind of issue with Epson projectors before? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks.

1. Wait up to 10 minutes for the projector to shut down on it's own.
A forced shutdown using the power switch is not a good thing to do. It should only be a last resort if the projector doesn't shut down in a reasonable amount of time.

2. I had the Lamp LED red flash twice at about 100 hours.
After the projector shut down on its own, I pulled the power plug for about 2-5 minutes, plugged it back in and it would be fine.
Had the bulb replaced by Epson since it did this twice & now at 40 hours on the new bulb, it did it again.

3. Not sure what the high fan mode at start up is about but I've noticed it does this when it's cold.
My theater room is usually around 60-65 degrees but it got below 60 due to me being a heat miser and keeping the home temps cooler.

I wonder when the projector turns on, if it has a temp meter and if it's cold, it waits to see if the temps rise by pumping ambient air through the bulb.
If the temps do no hit a specific threshold, it closes the lens. Sits for about 3-5 minutes than shuts down.
I guess we'll see if the projector ever does this high fan mode in the summer.

**It seems most people have observed the high fan mode at start up one time or another but the bulb usually comes on in about 1-2 minutes after the initial power on.

If you are using ECO bulb mode, there really should be no reason for the fan to kick in high gear at start up.
My typical start up is fan in low/quiet mode and bulb comes on in about 10 seconds after the lens cover opens. The Epson logo is displayed dimly and a gradual brightness increase. At full brightness & no green haze in about 2 minutes.

post #202 of 391 Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Is there a setting that you gotta turn on the fan in the unit. I swear I have never herd my fan kick on. unless this projector is that damn good. I've watched this thing for 4 hours straight and it is still quiet
post #203 of 391 Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlraglin View Post

Is there a setting that you gotta turn on the fan in the unit. I swear I have never herd my fan kick on. unless this projector is that damn good. I've watched this thing for 4 hours straight and it is still quiet

It is that quite on eco mode, but if you get close you should be able to hear it coming out of the front vent.
The fan is on all the time, so it is not cycling on and off.
post #204 of 391 Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Which lamp setting do you think produces the highest PQ? My first thought was to use Normal. I mean why buy a high brightness projector and then nobble it with the Eco setting. But then I think that pushing brightness, for example Dynamic settings, usually reduces contrast ratios and color fidelity; so maybe Eco is better. Eco also has the advantage of less fan noise and longer bulb life.
I've played about with both settings and there is no obvious winner. And I think there is no point in calibrating the unit without first deciding which lamp setting is going to be my default.

So any suggestions on how to decide?

Ion
post #205 of 391 Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 PM

thanks I noticed it last night right in front of it. WOW this thing is great....
post #206 of 391 Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I understand when people like us in the hobby get annoyed by imperfections here and there, in this case ghosting, but what I can't understand is why if the problem is not obvious you have to look hard to find it so that later you can't enjoy anything because you see it everywhere.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #207 of 391 Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlraglin View Post

thanks I noticed it last night right in front of it. WOW this thing is great....

Yeah I agree..the 6010 is one H$$L of a projector.
post #208 of 391 Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

I understand when people like us in the hobby get annoyed by imperfections here and there, in this case ghosting, but what I can't understand is why if the problem is not obvious you have to look hard to find it so that later you can't enjoy anything because you see it everywhere.

It's like banding and macroblocking.
Some never notice it but once your eye is trained to see it, you don't have to look for it.
You eyes will see it without thinking about it.

Kind of like clouding on LCD's.
It either bothers you or it doesn't.
Each individual has their own tolerance to "pain."

post #209 of 391 Old 03-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybob View Post

Thanks.

so any other 6010 owner noticing what I had described with the projector shutting down with 2 red lights flashing? so far it seems like a one time thing, but I just want to make sure that there is not something more serious to come since I've never seen this kind of issue with my old panasonic projector.
post #210 of 391 Old 03-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Anyone here of a recall on the Epson 6010? I was scheduling my install with a local Epson dealer and he said it would probably be a couple weeks due to a software fix they had to conduct. Said Epson distributor locations had to open up the boxes, conduct the software upgrade/fix, and repackage for distribution.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page