Epson 6010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 391 Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondered if anyone has any feedback from Epson on the release date for the 6010.

"Savor the Moment"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 391 Old 11-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
November 17th.

No, seriously. I was over at my local shop at lunch today. I wanted to inquire about that very question. While I talking with the owner, his buyer came into the shop with news that Epson had finally released the projector, and had given them the final pricing.

So now I have one on deposit. Should be in the shop before December 1.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 391 Old 11-17-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

I have one on order too...can't wait!!!! I too rec'd pricing yesterday. The 6010 will be replacing my 9700

"Savor the Moment"
post #4 of 391 Old 11-18-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

What's the difference between the 6010 and the 5010 besides the inclusion of shutter glasses? For all intensive purposes they look the same spec wise. It's hard to justify an all black case and two glasses for $1000.

Too bad the epson doesn't have smooth screen technology like the Panny. :-(

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #5 of 391 Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post

What's the difference between the 6010 and the 5010 besides the inclusion of shutter glasses? For all intensive purposes they look the same spec wise. It's hard to justify an all black case and two glasses for $1000.

They are the same, BUT.......

The 6010 has a THX mode (I believe).
You also get a projector mount and a spare lamp, AND an extra year warranty. Actually not too bad of an offer, assuming you need a decent mount.
post #6 of 391 Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

I think the price difference is $800. I am not sure what extras come with the 5010, but with the 6010 you get a mount, the two pair of glasses you mentioned, 3 yr warranty and an extra bulb (maybe all this comes with the 5010--I don't know).

Quote:

"Savor the Moment"
post #7 of 391 Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 AM

I don't think the 5010 has this.

"
  • Two anamorphic lens modes (stretch and squeeze) enables 2.35:1 anamorphic viewing without an external processor "

My New Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 391 Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

So the 6010 comes with:
THX Mode
Mount $200
2 Pairs Glasses $200
Extra Bulb $350 (give or take)
Anamorphic mode (but useless without lens, which is more money)

So about $750. It's a break even.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #9 of 391 Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure an extra year warranty as well (3 yrs. vs 2 yrs.), but yes, agree...pretty much a wash.

"Savor the Moment"
post #10 of 391 Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 AM

What does the 2.35 anamorphic lens mode do? Stretch the picture vertically to fit 1080 pixels, and thereby use all the brightness of the projector?

Jim
post #11 of 391 Old 11-19-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler Jim View Post

What does the 2.35 anamorphic lens mode do? Stretch the picture vertically to fit 1080 pixels, and thereby use all the brightness of the projector?

Yes - the anamorphic mode offered in some projectors vertically scales the image to provide a 33% vertical stretch then when an auxillary anamorpihic lens is added in front of the projector, which stretches the images by 33% horizontal, thus restoring the correct geomerty of the image. Since all of the pixels of the projecctor's 1.78 aspect ratio display chips will be used in this mode when displaying "scope" movies the overall image brightness will be improved as compared to the non-anamorphic approach of using the projector's zoom to project a letterboxed image of the same width (for the 'scope' image).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #12 of 391 Old 11-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Not all anamorphic lenses expand the picture horizontally. Some compress the image vertically. Vertical compression lenses are designed to be left in front of the projector for all material, because you focus the projector so the 16:9 image fits from side to side. To watch 2.35 material with a vertical compression lens, you need an anamorphic stretch scaling mode to expand the picture vertically, which your lens will then re-compress to fit on the screen. To watch non-2.35 material, you need an anamorphic squeeze scaling mode, to compress the image horizontally, and the lens itself will still squeeze it vertically to fit on the screen. If you were to move the lens out of the way, the 16:9 material would overshoot in the top and the bottom, so you need both scaling modes if you want to use the vertical compression lens. The 6010 has both modes. I don't think the 5010 has either.

Brian
post #13 of 391 Old 11-19-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 View Post

Not all anamorphic lenses expand the picture horizontally. Some compress the image vertically. Vertical compression lenses are designed to be left in front of the projector for all material, because you focus the projector so the 16:9 image fits from side to side. To watch 2.35 material with a vertical compression lens, you need an anamorphic stretch scaling mode to expand the picture vertically, which your lens will then re-compress to fit on the screen. To watch non-2.35 material, you need an anamorphic squeeze scaling mode, to compress the image horizontally, and the lens itself will still squeeze it vertically to fit on the screen. If you were to move the lens out of the way, the 16:9 material would overshoot in the top and the bottom, so you need both scaling modes if you want to use the vertical compression lens. The 6010 has both modes. I don't think the 5010 has either.

While such vertically compression lenses are available, they are not very popular. With a 1080p projector the 16x9 mode will be degraded because with the external lens in place the projector must scale (i.e., compress) the image horizontally and this results in only 1440 of the horizontal pixels being used rather than the full 1920 pixels. The more popular anamorphic lenes will optically stretch the image horizontal and the projector does the digital scaling for the vertical stretch when displaying scope movies then does not use the external lens and will not apply any digital scaling for 16x9 sources. This results in all 1080 vertical and 1920 horizontal pixels of the projector being used for both 1.78 and 2.35 aspect ratios.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #14 of 391 Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM

I'm very interested in the Anamorphic capabilities of the 6010. I'm a total newb and for some reason think I should be going with an anamorphic 2.35:1 screen instead of a now standard 16x9 screen.

If I understand correctly, going with an optical attachment for the 6010 sounds like i would not lose quality and get the best overall viewing experience. I've see motorized attachments on other projectors, does anyone know what type of anamorphic lens attachment I should be researching for the 6010 ? I suppose a motorized add-on would be preferred if the projector itself has an interface where the projector can control the lens motor ?

I'm thinking to go with an Elite acoustic pass-through 2.35:1 and the 6010... Am I off base here if i intend to mix both full frame 1080p movies, video games and widescreen/anamorphic movie content ?

Thanks!
post #15 of 391 Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aupton View Post

I'm very interested in the Anamorphic capabilities of the 6010. I'm a total newb and for some reason think I should be going with an anamorphic 2.35:1 screen instead of a now standard 16x9 screen.

If I understand correctly, going with an optical attachment for the 6010 sounds like i would not lose quality and get the best overall viewing experience. I've see motorized attachments on other projectors, does anyone know what type of anamorphic lens attachment I should be researching for the 6010 ? I suppose a motorized add-on would be preferred if the projector itself has an interface where the projector can control the lens motor ?

I'm thinking to go with an Elite acoustic pass-through 2.35:1 and the 6010... Am I off base here if i intend to mix both full frame 1080p movies, video games and widescreen/anamorphic movie content ?

Thanks!

You should checkout prices of anamorphic lenses such as the popular Panamorph UH480, often costs as much as the projector so usually used with higher-end projectors from what I've seen due to cost...
post #16 of 391 Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Where can I get the 6010 from? I looked in Epson's web page and it does not even give me a dealer locator.
post #17 of 391 Old 12-09-2011, 12:05 PM

There are at least two places in Virginia that are selling the 6010 on line. I ordered one the other day. They are supposed to receive it today or monday from Epson and forward to me. Both are selling for the same price which is below the map price. If you contact me directly I can give their website and price i paid.
post #18 of 391 Old 12-09-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aupton View Post

Thanks!

Too overpriced! And the gain is too low.

Try taking a look at Seymourav. Tons cheaper with a tighter hole pattern and higher gain (1.2)

http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp

post #19 of 391 Old 12-09-2011, 05:49 PM

May be of interest to anyone doing a new install that would have trouble running an HDMI cable. Found this on Monoprice.com. I personally don't need one since I am replacing an exiting projector with the 6010. Monoprice lists it as " Wireless HDMI Extender Up to 65.6ft w/ HDMI Matrix & IR Receiver Kit. Their video says up to 100 ft and works with 3D. May make it worth while for someone to buy the 5010 and this instead of the 5010e. Price is around $160. Also, since the 6010 is not available with wireless connection it could be a option for the 6010.
post #20 of 391 Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Too overpriced! And the gain is too low.

Try taking a look at Seymourav. Tons cheaper with a tighter hole pattern and higher gain (1.2)

http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp

Not sure what prices you are looking at but the cheapest seymour-av screen is about twice the price of an elite AT screen from several reputable online dealers.

I would still do the seymour-av though for the two reasons you mentioned and because chris really stands behind his product.
post #21 of 391 Old 12-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Liked: 14
Pulled the trigger yesterday. Funny pretty much been my obsession the last few weeks and was certain I was going to order the 5010 or the RS45 online. Had a Sony Ruby coming up on its 4th lamp and thought after 5 years it was time for a change. In the end I found the 6010 had just appeared locally. Spent some time with one dealer Thr looking at JVC X3 and Epson 8700(he just mentioned he had the 6010). Thinking about when I could get installed decided hell just pick it up and do it myself this weekend. Called at 3:15 on a Friday and the rep had left for the day...kinda bummed. Decided to swing by the dealer I normally use and voila they had one setup and another needing a new home. The rep "clerked" the sale. I told him that is what I came for and with 15 minutes I was back at work. Actually glad I bought it locally. I think local dealers are struggling given the economy and the big boxes.
post #22 of 391 Old 12-10-2011, 01:09 PM

Spent last night putting it up-my first time putting it up myself-was hoping to use my existing mount but didn't work out that way. All in all a learning experience and it hasn't fallen on me yet. Had to keep the whole switch quite as I forgot to tell my wife.I don't have everything 100% yet but very watcable so far. I dont have a 3d blueray player and will most likely have to run new HDMI in the celing so I'm good for this weekend. UK plays shortley so I didn't want to take a chance on not seeing the game.

Build quality is certainley not in the leaque of the Ruby, felt like I was getting rid of an older Lexus for a new Camry. Given Epson's reputation for service/warranty think I will be fine.

The blacks are better,deeper. The noise level at normal is unacceptable I think, unless your sound would be very loud to drowned it out. Eco I guess will by my default.

Look forward to hearing others feedback and getting setup tips as I go along. The Sony was rock solid from day one hope the Epson is as reliable.
post #23 of 391 Old 12-10-2011, 03:31 PM

Any info on THX on the 6010? Epson website says "coming soon". I'm ready to buy one, just wondering if I should wait for that feature.
post #24 of 391 Old 12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post

Any info on THX on the 6010? Epson website says "coming soon". I'm ready to buy one, just wondering if I should wait for that feature.

I'm sure they wouldn't release the 6010 without that feature already activated.
post #25 of 391 Old 12-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks WynsWrld98 and DigitalGriffen!

The Seymourav screens sound fantastic. I'll likely go that route!

The Panamorph UH480 sounds like the way to go to take full advantage of the Seymourav screen.

Now to research what sized 2.35:1 screen can be used with the 6010 without quality loss. Im hoping for the sharpest picture possible
post #26 of 391 Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

Not sure what prices you are looking at but the cheapest seymour-av screen is about twice the price of an elite AT screen from several reputable online dealers.

I would still do the seymour-av though for the two reasons you mentioned and because chris really stands behind his product.

I was referring to the DIY (Do It Yourself) method where they supply you the material. All you need to do is staple it to a frame, or use the rubber grommit method.

The DIY way is a ton cheaper.

post #27 of 391 Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM

I asked Epson tech support and they told me it was. Now I'm waiting for delivery of my 6010 :-)

I did not understand the comment on the Panamorph and then getting a 2.35:1 screen setup. I though the whole idea of the A-Lens was to display 2.35:1 content on a 16:9 screen?

Please clarify since I'm about to order a Panamorph 16:9 as soon as I make up my mind on what size to get.
post #28 of 391 Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 AM
RKS

My 6010 arrived yesterday and I got it temporarily setup last night (sitting on some boxes aimed at the screen)

I'm super impressed. It's replacing my g90 which was in need of a Green Gun and Dallas chip replacement. I elected to spend the money on a newer projector rather than keeping that running. The picture from the epson is brighter, and very nice to look at. This is in ECO mode, turning to to normal and it's even brighter! I'm running it on 103" diagonal screen.

The 3d imaging seems pretty good, I'm not seeing the cross talk from watching Tangled from an Oppo player. I do see some from the DTV Sports channel but I can't help but wonder if that's because I can't seem to figure out how to set the size of the screen in DTV Receiver. Haven't tried my Xbox for 3d yet, but playing NetFlix and games it looks beautiful.

More once it's properly setup and calibrated.

-R
post #29 of 391 Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post

I did not understand the comment on the Panamorph and then getting a 2.35:1 screen setup. I though the whole idea of the A-Lens was to display 2.35:1 content on a 16:9 screen?

The A-Lens is to show the 2.35 content on a 2.35:1 screen without the letterbox black bars that would otherwise appear on a 16:9 screen..

Brian
post #30 of 391 Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 PM

I just got my Epson 6010 from Theater Design Center in UT for $3400!!!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page