Official JVC RS55/X70 owners thread. - Page 123 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3661 of 3675 Old 12-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have an "opportunity" to buy a new X70 for $4800 (manufacturer's warranty/return policy,etc..) ... is it still worth much being that it 2 years old.  I know many are still more fond of the e-shift 1 over the 2 tech? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3675 Old 12-23-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1006 View Post

I have an "opportunity" to buy a new X70 for $4800 (manufacturer's warranty/return policy,etc..) ... is it still worth much being that it 2 years old.  I know many are still more fond of the e-shift 1 over the 2 tech? 

Way too high. Call Mike or Craig and get a RS57 with new bulb, improved contrast, and intelligent iris for just a little more. If you contact them today you can still get in on preorder price.

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #3663 of 3675 Old 12-23-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1006 View Post

I'd say that isn't really that great of a deal considering I bought an X90 for $3425 a few weeks ago. A good deal would be closer to the $3200

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3664 of 3675 Old 12-23-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I'd say that isn't really that great of a deal considering I bought an X90 for $3425 a few weeks ago. A good deal would be closer to the $3200

I still don't understand why the flagship model is so much more than the lower model. For thousands the X90 is just slightly better than the X70. It should be no more than $1000
post #3665 of 3675 Old 12-23-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I still don't understand why the flagship model is so much more than the lower model. For thousands the X90 is just slightly better than the X70. It should be no more than $1000

If you want the best of the best hand picked parts, basically guaranteeing optimum performance, you need to pay the premium for it. I was happy with my X55R, only wishing for a slightly deeper black level. Once I saw the deal on this X90 I couldn't pass it up. In the end, once I sold my X55R, it was only a $300 upgrade. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3666 of 3675 Old 12-23-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

If you want the best of the best hand picked parts, basically guaranteeing optimum performance, you need to pay the premium for it. I was happy with my X55R, only wishing for a slightly deeper black level. Once I saw the deal on this X90 I couldn't pass it up. In the end, once I sold my X55R, it was only a $300 upgrade. smile.gif

I do understand the entry model to the middle model, but not the middle model to the top. But sometimes you can get a great deal if you wait a year or two
post #3667 of 3675 Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Those middle models add other features that the base models don't have. For instance; eshift, a CMS, THX modes for better ootb color, fine pixel convergence error system, more savable lens memories, gloss finish chassis, motorized lens cover, Xenon lamp modes, a cinema filter, a second iris at the lamp, auto-calibration software, and most importantly the middle models have higher contrast and get the top 20% (and the flagship gets the top 2% iirc) of manufactured parts so you're basically guaranteed better lens samples, better D-ILA panels, ect for a better overall product. A lot of what I've mentioned is software based and is something they just don't give you on the base model to entice you to upgrade to the higher end models, but by and large, image quality can be very similar albeit less overall contrast within the image on the base model compared to the higher end models JVC offers. The base model and entry eshift model offer consumers some of the best 2D image quality out there at a very attractive price. For a competitive image from a DLP projector expect to pay almost double the price if not more.

post #3668 of 3675 Old 12-23-2013, 06:21 PM

Thank you for the reply.  I am stuck on a $4K budget.  Seegs - I have been following you along the whole way, since I purchased my Mits HC-5 a month or so ago.  

post #3669 of 3675 Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM

Liked: 12
I have an x55 and love it.
What settings are you guys using for gaming?
post #3670 of 3675 Old 05-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Hey guys, I am going to look at a used X70 unit this week from a local seller. The owner has not checked the hours usage yet but did say that it is on its second bulb.

Anything specific I should test while looking at it? I have read that these can sometimes develop a purple from blue color when displaying high blue scenes. Is there a setting that will bring this out?

From the photos it looks like its in great shape with the original remote. I assume no warranty is left.

Thanks again..
post #3671 of 3675 Old 05-13-2014, 04:20 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Depending on which version of OEM bulb the X70 contained, it could have as little as 2,000 or as much as 4,000 hours of service. I use to have the X70 and my advice is to set the unit to its default Cinema settings and play a 2D and 3D Blu-ray that you are familiar with. This will give you a good feel for its performance. As far as the "blue" issue, I've never experienced this problem. The warranty is two years. Get the serial number and call JVC to make sure it is a recognized unit. I don't know if they can give you the repair history, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. If all is good, you will not be disappointed with it's performance. Good luck!
post #3672 of 3675 Old 05-13-2014, 04:26 PM

Perfect, will do.
post #3673 of 3675 Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I tried the 2D to 3D conversion for the first time, just for the heck of it, on my RS57.

Not surprisingly it was fairly crude, with a fair amount of ghosting, a dimmer picture, and a variable effect. It certainly did work somewhat in various shots. One of the sources I tried was the UFC. There was sometimes
a nice 3D layering of depth to the crowd shots. I was watching a fight, with the camera in the ring, and thinking it looked fairly 3D and "there." Then I turned off the conversion and watched it in 2D (I had put it into a pretty bright setting to watch the conversion). It really was startling how much more vivid the image is in 2D due I guess almost exclusively to the brightness difference. But what struck me was how incredibly 3D the 2D image looked! It looked even more real than the 3D converted image.

Which gets me repeating what I mentioned recently about watching a movie on my friend's 50" plasma. The sense of depth this projected image provides. We have a plasma and a 55" LCD flat screen at home, and I had also been standing in front of the new Sony 4K flat screens in some stores yesterday. But when I put on some Blu-Ray scenes at home, including previewing the movie "Her" which I'm going to watch tonight with a friend, it just makes the flat screen images look so flat! With the right camera lenses in a shot, the RS57 image has such a natural, peer right into the air and dimension of the image effect. There is constantly a sense of layering and distance. It's one of the first things I notice that I miss when I switch to a flat screen.

Now, I don't think a lack of depth is assured by flat screens at all. I used to watch my plasma with the lights out, masked, with a dark background, and for the tiny image it could have excellent depth. But most flat screens are not watched in the type of setting that you need for projection, so often the screen surface has a presence on the image, even if subtle. With projection, so long as your screen surface isn't too granular, in the dark the screen disappears and it's just the image floating in space. You add the type of contrast projectors are giving us now, with that immersive image size, and it's darned hard to beat.

Rich H

post #3674 of 3675 Old 06-13-2014, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

Need some help on The RS45 Upgrade on firmware.

I keep getting the following Message:

Try connecting to "192.168.1.72"...

Connected to projector has succeeded.

Switched projector into download mode failed

Please check PJ in "Standby" mode, and accepted "Cedia" cmd

My HDMI Port seems to have failed again, this has happen in the past and I had to ship my projector over to USA for repairs. It seems the same problem is occurring again, The Project does not see any source connected. The JVC Powers up fine menu and lens option appear but it does not detected any HDMI connection.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #3675 of 3675 Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Purple Streaks

The other day I was watching 'Ice Age' on my RS55 projector, and it was in animation mode, and a lot of the animation would become purple (like the side of a character's face)--not constantly, just in certain scenes. This problem did not occur when I watched 'Toy Story 3', which granted is a significantly newer movie and I had it on blu-ray (Ice Age was just a DVD). Still, any idea why this would happen?

By the way, I alleviated the problem by just switching to Cinema mode, but I'm a curious person and want to know what's going on.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page