post #3691 of 3719 Old 11-26-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Thanks for the response DavidHir. I'll reset the unit, and make the minor adjustments I did before. I've never had the pj calibrated, but was pleased with the picture before the repair.
No problem. Also keep in mind even though the projector was not calibrated, there is natural "drift" as the block and panels age over time which gradually changes the image unless adjustment/calibration is done. Think of it as periodic tune-ups.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3719 Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
No problem. Also keep in mind even though the projector was not calibrated, there is natural "drift" as the block and panels age over time which gradually changes the image unless adjustment/calibration is done. Think of it as periodic tune-ups.
I reset to factory in the service menu. Its nice to see there are some still interested in this thread. Therefore, I'll ask if you, are someone else, can tell me what the effect would be resetting the following in the service menu:

In Adjust: Lens position reset
In Options: Lens center

Thanks
post #3693 of 3719 Old 11-27-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
By the way, I also experienced the issue of the entire background turning purple, not just streaks, but that could just be the way we are trying to describe the problem. The projector was in the THX mode when the OPPO DVD player came out of screen saver mode and the picture turned purple. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the change in signal format and HDMI handshake. Since there are three components in the video chain; the DVD player, receiver/switcher and projector it is tough to say definitively which component is the culprit. In my case I cycled the power on the DVD player and the picture returned to normal.

I'm not sure I would characterize my screen as turning purple but occasionally when turning the system on and while in THX mode, the image color is way off; almost as if the the B of the RGB is missing. If I select another profile like Cinema and then switch back to THX, all is fine.

Recently I added a Lumagen Mini and calibrated from Cinema/Standard and am curious if I will continue to have issues.

I am not happy with the calibration, the colors could use a little more pop. I used ChromaPure auto cal and will start the process again from the beginning.
post #3694 of 3719 Old 11-27-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I reset to factory in the service menu. Its nice to see there are some still interested in this thread. Therefore, I'll ask if you, are someone else, can tell me what the effect would be resetting the following in the service menu:

Thanks
Resetting those would merely put them at the default position (I assume judged by the software programming) and would you just have to re-position/re-center the lens so the image would be centered properly on your screen. You might also have to re-zoom and re-focus the image to some degree.

post #3695 of 3719 Old 11-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Resetting those would merely put them at the default position (I assume judged by the software programming) and would you just have to re-position/re-center the lens so the image would be centered properly on your screen. You might also have to re-zoom and re-focus the image to some degree.
Thnx
post #3696 of 3719 Old 11-27-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tried Darbee processing with eshift? Is the artifacting more apparent than without eshift?
post #3697 of 3719 Old 11-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have officially entered the world of projectors. Thanks to Zombie10k, my first pj is the RS55.
I connected my Dune up to it and fired up a bluray. Holy crap this thing looks amazing!!!!
post #3698 of 3719 Old 11-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
I have officially entered the world of projectors. Thanks to Zombie10k, my first pj is the RS55.
I connected my Dune up to it and fired up a bluray. Holy crap this thing looks amazing!!!!
Truly, Zombie10K has been of assistance to many of us. Welcome, and I hope you ave nothing but enjoyable hours with your RS55
post #3699 of 3719 Old 12-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

I recently had the optical engine replaced in my RS55, and now notice a slight increase of 'pink' in the whites and skin tone of the image. Any suggestions on what I should adjust to compensate? I've never calibrated, and have no equipment. Any adjustments would have to be done by eye. I use picture mode 'User 1' with colour profile set to standard. Pretty much the same as the THX setting, but I can adjust the sharpness & detail.
post #3700 of 3719 Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I recently had the optical engine replaced in my RS55, and now notice a slight increase of 'pink' in the whites and skin tone of the image. Any suggestions on what I should adjust to compensate? I've never calibrated, and have no equipment. Any adjustments would have to be done by eye. I use picture mode 'User 1' with colour profile set to standard. Pretty much the same as the THX setting, but I can adjust the sharpness & detail.
I am not sure of the THX setting on that unit, but I would get a hold of a calibration disc (DVE, download AVS test patterns, disney WOW, etc.) to at least calibrate basic settings. Pinks in whites, etc. are likely greyscale issues and you really need proper equipment or hire a calibrator if you want accuracy. If you are not concerned so much with accuracy, you can just eyeball it to some degree but then that can sometimes create new issues as you have to account for varying stimului, etc..

post #3701 of 3719 Old 12-03-2014, 01:38 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I am not sure of the THX setting on that unit, but I would get a hold of a calibration disc (DVE, download AVS test patterns, disney WOW, etc.) to at least calibrate basic settings. Pinks in whites, etc. are likely greyscale issues and you really need proper equipment or hire a calibrator if you want accuracy. If you are not concerned so much with accuracy, you can just eyeball it to some degree but then that can sometimes create new issues as you have to account for varying stimului, etc..
+1. There's really no simple answer to what you can do "by eye". If there was, nobody would need to use calibration equipment.

Kal
post #3702 of 3719 Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
+1. There's really no simple answer to what you can do "by eye". If there was, nobody would need to use calibration equipment.

Kal
True. Thank you both for your input
post #3703 of 3719 Old 12-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Kal
Can anyone suggest the simplest calibration equipment to purchase? Not just a disc, but something that will be truly effective, without being over the top. Is there a one simple unit you can connect to the AVR/Bru-ray/PJ chain?
post #3704 of 3719 Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

You need software, you need a meter.

The best bang for the buck meter these days is the X-rite i1 Display Pro (called the Display 3 by some). Fast and reliable.

The two big players in the software field these days are ChromaPure and CalMAN. Free HCFR software is available. The 'official' version is no longer supported so it's too old to support the newer Display 3 meter, but there's a non-official/publicly managed version that's available that supports the meter.

Kal
post #3705 of 3719 Old 12-05-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:

Thanks
leave that alone.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3706 of 3719 Unread 12-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
leave that alone.
Thanks. I did. Saw no reason to reset. Image is pretty clear, just the colour needs calibrating.
post #3707 of 3719 Unread 12-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You need software, you need a meter.

The best bang for the buck meter these days is the X-rite i1 Display Pro (called the Display 3 by some). Fast and reliable.

The two big players in the software field these days are ChromaPure and CalMAN. Free HCFR software is available. The 'official' version is no longer supported so it's too old to support the newer Display 3 meter, but there's a non-official/publicly managed version that's available that supports the meter.

Kal
Thanks kal. Does the X-rite work well with Mac OS X 10.9.5 & 10.10.1? Would you recommend including the X-rite colour checkchecker passport? If I understand correct, i1 has all the software and equipment I would need to calibrate colour, grey scale....
post #3708 of 3719 Unread 12-05-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
great news, post some photos of the new HT when you get a chance. That RS55 is a great copy, I hope you enjoy it.
post #3709 of 3719 Unread 12-05-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

cdnscg - Can you run windows on this mac? I would suggest looking at a display pro 3 + chromapure. the D3 pro is referenced against an expensive meter and the offsets to make the meter more accurate are built into your software license of chromapure. It's easy to learn the calibration workflow with this software. Just calibrating greyscale alone can make a big difference in overall picture quality.
post #3710 of 3719 Unread 12-05-2014, 11:04 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks kal. Does the X-rite work well with Mac OS X 10.9.5 & 10.10.1?
It's the software, not the meter, that works on the OS.
Quote:
Would you recommend including the X-rite colour checkchecker passport?
Like Zombie, I recommend (and use) ChromaPure. For full disclosure, I used to sell others but now only sell ChromaPure (because I prefer how the licensing/support works).

Kal
post #3711 of 3719 Unread 12-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's the software, not the meter, that works on the OS.

Like Zombie, I recommend (and use) ChromaPure. For full disclosure, I used to sell others but now only sell ChromaPure (because I prefer how the licensing/support works).

Kal
So X-rite i1 Display Pro is just the meter (equipment part), and ChromaPure the software. They have to be purchased seperatley.
Does ChromaPure work easily with Mac's? I'm not loading Windows on my computer.
post #3712 of 3719 Unread 12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So X-rite i1 Display Pro is just the meter (equipment part), and ChromaPure the software. They have to be purchased seperatley.
They can, but discounted bundles are available too.

Quote:
Does ChromaPure work easily with Mac's? I'm not loading Windows on my computer.
Not a native mac version. ChromaPure does run fine on a Mac however, using Windows emulators such as Parallels Desktop or a split partition using Boot Camp.

Kal
post #3713 of 3719 Unread 12-05-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

For those interested in this projector, I would check out a B-stock RS6710.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3714 of 3719 Unread 12-05-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
For those interested in this projector, I would check out a B-stock RS6710.
I would love one, but I don't think you'd take my library card for collateral to "check it out"...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3715 of 3719 Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They can, but discounted bundles are available too.

Not a native mac version. ChromaPure does run fine on a Mac however, using Windows emulators such as Parallels Desktop or a split partition using Boot Camp.

Kal
Not interested in introducing any Windows system into my mac. Are there products similar to ChromaPure that run on native iOS for mac?
post #3716 of 3719 Unread Yesterday, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I would love one, but I don't think you'd take my library card for collateral to "check it out"...
If it had been a Gold library card we could have considered it, but mute point now. All of them are sold.

post #3717 of 3719 Unread Today, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not interested in introducing any Windows system into my mac. Are there products similar to ChromaPure that run on native iOS for mac?
there's no real options for the key applications (Chromapure / Spectracal) other than running a version of windows on the Mac.

We use this all the time at work, it runs as an application, there is less commitment vs. parallels

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features
post #3718 of 3719 Unread Today, 11:28 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not to my knowledge.

Kal
post #3719 of 3719 Unread Today, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
If it had been a Gold library card we could have considered it, but mute point now. All of them are sold.
Wow, that was fast. JVC B-stock deals are the best deal anyone can possibly get on a projector. I want a B-stock x500 next year maybe, hopefully you'll get some in.

It's supposed to be -moot- but I am having trouble hearing you :P

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page