Official JVC RS55/X70 owners thread. - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #3721 of 3739 Old 01-06-2015, 02:31 AM
sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 31
After the case is opened and then reassembled, there is a good chance the gasket comes off of its normal seated position. I also experienced this same situation after receiving my projector back from repair. The rubber gasket simply snaps back in position when pushed away from the lens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3739 Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
After the case is opened and then reassembled, there is a good chance the gasket comes off of its normal seated position. I also experienced this same situation after receiving my projector back from repair. The rubber gasket simply snaps back in position when pushed away from the lens.
Thanks for the response. My situation must also be connected to a recent repair. Did you push it back your self? I
gently touched it, but not knowing what exactly the purpose of the gasket or how fragile it is, I did not want to tear it. How forceful does it need to be pushed, and where to?

Last edited by cdnscg; 01-06-2015 at 07:20 AM.
post #3723 of 3739 Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 AM
sr

I know it seems rather delicate, but if you move it away from the center of the lens in the direction towards the outside perimeter of the lens you'll feel it just snap back into position.
post #3724 of 3739 Old 01-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
I know it seems rather delicate, but if you move it away from the center of the lens in the direction towards the outside perimeter of the lens you'll feel it just snap back into position.
Worked like a charm. Many thanks!
post #3725 of 3739 Old 01-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Well it seems to be my time with PJ issues. Just discovered, after I thought the new lamp I put in had no real brightening effect, that it is a PK-L2210UP instead of a PK-L2210U. The sight I bought it from stated it was the replacement for the RS55, and although I checked the manual to confirm, I thought the 'P' was of not consequence. However, the PK-L2210UP is 275W, and the other 285W. I'm sure they will not take it back after 7hrs of use. If anyone is interested in the 'P' lamp, will sell for 50% of what I just payed. PM me.
post #3726 of 3739 Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

As reported, the optical engine in my RS55 had to be replaced, but there is a pink hue push particularly show on white materials. (i.e.: shirts...). I had the unit professionally calibrated, but was told there is a problem with the optical engine. I was out of warranty, and JVC repaired on good faith so I can't go back to them. I have since ordered a Sony 300ES, but was wondering if anyone knows if the pink push can be corrected?
post #3727 of 3739 Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
As reported, the optical engine in my RS55 had to be replaced, but there is a pink hue push particularly show on white materials. (i.e.: shirts...). I had the unit professionally calibrated, but was told there is a problem with the optical engine. I was out of warranty, and JVC repaired on good faith so I can't go back to them. I have since ordered a Sony 300ES, but was wondering if anyone knows if the pink push can be corrected?
Anyone?
post #3728 of 3739 Old 02-03-2015, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Anyone?
That's unfortunate it. I can only think of two options:

1) Something like a Lumagen 3D mini might help as it will offer a lot more leeway and options into calibrating but it is no guarantee and they are not cheap. Is the pink showing up as a greyscale issue?

2) For the hell of it, I would ask JVC once more as the worst they can say is no. You never know, they might look into it.

post #3729 of 3739 Old 02-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
That's unfortunate it. I can only think of two options:

1) Something like a Lumagen 3D mini might help as it will offer a lot more leeway and options into calibrating but it is no guarantee and they are not cheap. Is the pink showing up as a greyscale issue?

2) For the hell of it, I would ask JVC once more as the worst they can say is no. You never know, they might look into it.
Not sure about the grey scale question other than to say the guy who did the calibrating stated he did the best possible

As for JVC, the contact who originally assisted me, seems to have set my e-mail address to 'not accept'. All attempts are deemed not deliverable.

Guess I'm out of luck
post #3730 of 3739 Old 03-25-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After 2 years with the RS55 I have 1395 hours on the original lamp. Viewing has been mostly in Normal (low-lamp) with the occasional 3D viewing in high.

106" Da-Lite 1.1 gain
13' throw
Dark-brown walls, carpet, and couch

3D was getting pretty dim, even at iris 0, and 2D seemed OK at iris 6 (instead of 12 when the RS55 was new).

I just installed a new lamp (PK-L2210U) from AV Science and wow! Everything about the image is much more "full." It really does seem like getting a new projector. Transformers: Age of Extinction in 2D looks dynamite. It looked good a few days ago on the old lamp, but now it's even more dynamic in bright or dark scenes. The outdoor scenes in the sun at Marky Mark's farm were a revelation. The sunlight on them is so much more realistic, and it shows just how dim the old lamp had become.

Over the last few months, I was on a User 1 setting by eye, with a gamma of 2.0 to bring out shadow detail that THX was crushing. With the new lamp, THX looks like a better combo of blacker blacks with "enough" detail. I know, a calibration would do wonders, and I'm finally looking into it.

Because I am another upgrade-insane AVS'er, I'm also testing the friends and family network to see if anyone wants to buy an RS55 with a new lamp so I can get the RS4910

In any case, the moral of the story is that a new lamp can do wonders.

QUESTION: I'm almost out of the 2-year warranty on this refurbished RS55, and there is a fair amount of dust visible inside the back-right vent. Has anyone ever sent their unit voluntarily (!) to Mendtronix for a cleaning? I know it's not covered, but it would be nice to get a clean unit after 2 years of dust intake. I clean the removable screen every 2 months.

Thanks to everyone else on this forum who contributed their experiences and observations!

Last edited by A_D_A_M; 03-25-2015 at 12:06 PM.
post #3731 of 3739 Old 03-25-2015, 12:22 PM
sr

I found the brightness on new lamp actually made the picture just a bit washed out looking. However it did not take much time after breaking in the new lamp that the picture looked better than ever. Regarding shipping the projector to get it cleaned...Hell No. Between the abuse in shipping and the chance you take that some uncaring tech abuses your baby, it's not worth it. Don't fix what's not broken...just my two cents. By the way, I use a vacuum on all the vents to clean from the outside, and it only required attention after one year of use. I also no not touch the lens at all.
A_D_A_M likes this.
post #3732 of 3739 Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_D_A_M View Post

Because I am another upgrade-insane AVS'er, I'm also testing the friends and family network to see if anyone wants to buy an RS55 with a new lamp so I can get the RS4910

In any case, the moral of the story is that a new lamp can do wonders.

QUESTION: I'm almost out of the 2-year warranty on this refurbished RS55, and there is a fair amount of dust visible inside the back-right vent. Has anyone ever sent their unit voluntarily (!) to Mendtronix for a cleaning? I know it's not covered, but it would be nice to get a clean unit after 2 years of dust intake. I clean the removable screen every 2 months.

Thanks to everyone else on this forum who contributed their experiences and observations!
I would wait until the fall, there is not some day/night difference between the RS55 and the 4910, i've had both projectors. e-shift 1 is better imo.

I wouldn't send it to Mendtronix if you can avoid it, some members recently had issues with damage during shipping, imo, it's not worth it unless you absolutely have to send it in.
A_D_A_M likes this.

Last edited by zombie10k; 03-25-2015 at 02:01 PM.
post #3733 of 3739 Old 03-25-2015, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I would wait until the fall, there is not some day/night difference between the RS55 and the 4910, i've had both projectors. e-shift 1 is better imo.

I wouldn't send it to Mendtronix if you can avoid it, some members recently had issues with damage during shipping, imo, it's not worth it unless you absolutely don't have to send it in.
Thanks Zombie. I've greatly appreciated your projector shootouts and opinions over the years.

Winter Soldier 3D arrives in the mail today, so I'm going to sit back and enjoy the RS55, which looks better than ever with the new lamp.
post #3734 of 3739 Old 03-25-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 631
that is a great movie! I liked it much better than the first Captain America.

when you are done watching it, look up on youtube 'Winter Soldier - how it should have ended' for a good laugh.
post #3735 of 3739 Old 06-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Jvc dla-rs55u 3d issues

Hey Guys,

Occasionally when view 3D and only 3D I get these lines inthe image.

Scrolling vertical and horizontal. It does not happen allthe time 3D and never happens in 2D mode.

I’m thinking of sending it to JVC for repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1243.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	751993  
post #3736 of 3739 Old 06-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD MAN View Post
Hey Guys,

Occasionally when view 3D and only 3D I get these lines inthe image.

Scrolling vertical and horizontal. It does not happen all the time in 3D and never happens in 2D mode.

I’m thinking of sending it to JVC for repairs.
I hope your unit is still under warranty. I had a vertical lines problem viewing 2D material, and it ended up being a faulty optical engine. Although I was past the warrant period, JVC was convinced to give me a replacement against 'good will', and I paid for the install. The problem was the unit they gave me had an issue with pink push which I could not get rid of. On a positive note, it gave me the excuse to buy a Sony 300ES 4K pj.
post #3737 of 3739 Old 06-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I hope your unit is still under warranty. I had a vertical lines problem viewing 2D material, and it ended up being a faulty optical engine. Although I was past the warrant period, JVC was convinced to give me a replacement against 'good will', and I paid for the install. The problem was the unit they gave me had an issue with pink push which I could not get rid of. On a positive note, it gave me the excuse to buy a Sony 300ES 4K pj.
I am not under warranty. I hopeing its not a major issue since its ony happeing on occasions and only in 3D mode.

I will call JVC today see what they can do.
post #3738 of 3739 Unread Today, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HDMI 1 and 2 No Input

Hello,

Wonder if someone might know what is going on with my DLA x70r. I have 400+ hours on the projector with no issues.....as of yesterday it it not identifying any HDMI inputs (1 or 2). Just shows 'No Input'.
I have tried different sources (bluray\apple tv) with different length HDMI cables with no success...........yet they work fine if plugged into my Sony LCD.

Should I try a factory reset? Could it be a blown HDMI circuit?

thanks in advance!
adam
post #3739 of 3739 Unread Today, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzman View Post
Hello,

Wonder if someone might know what is going on with my DLA x70r. I have 400+ hours on the projector with no issues.....as of yesterday it it not identifying any HDMI inputs (1 or 2). Just shows 'No Input'.
I have tried different sources (bluray\apple tv) with different length HDMI cables with no success...........yet they work fine if plugged into my Sony LCD.

Should I try a factory reset? Could it be a blown HDMI circuit?

thanks in advance!
adam
I guess you've tried a complete power down with unplugging the unit for several minutes. If so, I think a factory receipt may be in order. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector