AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS55/X70 owners thread.

325K views 4K replies 241 participants last post by  pepar 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Just mounted the projector and spent 3 hours watching a bunch of content to give some first impressions. My dealer told me I'm the first person in North America to get an X70
and a couple of dealers got a few demos in the UK.

Anyhow, if you wan't the quick review this is it. Damn, this thing is awesome! It improves upon the X7/RS50 in every way imaginable. I really can't wait until more people get this projector. It produces a picture that is better then any other projector I've seen/owned (I have not seen any 20+ K projectors and don't plan to.)

For now, I'll post 2D impressions only, as I've not had to time to test the 3D yet. I've been busy with the Sony HMD and I'll tell you what. The Sony HMD pretty much makes any other 3D device obsolete, that's another post though. The HMD for 2D doesn't compare to a good projector however.

1. Brightness. Definitely brighter then the RS50. It looks about as bright on low as my RS50 was on high lamp mode.

2. E-shift is for real. I was skeptical that it would produce a noticeable improvement but WOW!. I sit about a screen width away and I can't believe how smooth, sharp, and 3 dimensional the image looks. It brings out details that I've never seen from my test clips. Example, the opening of the Dark Knight. You can see every fiber, every tiny facial pore, every little nick in the clown masks. The pixel structure is completely INVISIBLE. I though it was already invisible with the X7, but until you see the 4K eshift image in person. You wont really be able to appreciate what I'm saying. Also, there is no way to enable or disable eshift in the menu. Have to find out how to get into the service menu to check it out.

3. Sharpness. Not sure how this is affected by e-shift, but the sharpness is outstanding. About as sharp as a good DLP. Just had the Infocus Sp8602 (had to sell because of mounting issues), and I would say sharpness is very close between the two.

4. Motion. Not sure again if it's the e-shift, but the 24p motion on this thing is DLP like. VERY GOOD, with almost no judder, and amazing levels of detail during motion. Better then the x7.

CMD has been improved. I was actually shocked to notice less artifacting around objects as I was led to believe that JVC didn't do anything to CMD, but they made some improvements. I would say it's gone from a poor rating to a good. Not as clean as the Sony VW90, but it's more aggresive and creates a better SOE. (if you like that sort of look)

I will run the FPD motion benchmarks ASAP, for a more detailed review of the motion.

5. Depth/Pop. The x70 has a more dynamic picture then the X7, and really looks more like a DLP. If I had been subject to a blind test I would have said that the X70 was a DLP (the lack of rainbows would have given it away, but you know what I mean). Really awesome, and I was surprised at the "pop". I even turned down to IRIS to try and match the X7, but is still had the depth and pop.

I can't wait until you guys get this projector. I would seriously consider the X70 over the X30 because the e-shift feature works, and produces an image that is VERY sharp, yet still feels analogue and not digital. It's kind of weird that you get a picture that is both sharper and smoother at the same time.

I'll post more impressions over the days. I've already found 1 issue which may be a defect, but I'm not sure and I'll post a picture of what I see. Also, there is some visible noise in the image, but it's barely ever noticeable, and I remember having some visible noise with the X7 that wen't away after the projector was broken in for a few hundred hours. Also it's still unclear how the lamp will hold up, as it's the same lamp as the X7 (I'm sure your all aware how many issues there were with them).

The one thing that I noticed that kinda bothers me is on a black background, something like a pause icon will have white streaks above and below it on the black background. Not sure what is causing it, and it may have something to do with e-shift, not sure. It's not really apparent on actual content, but it may be as I watch more stuff. I'll post a pic.

I haven't messed around with settings, or convergence (they have zone convergence now) just did most of my watching in THX mode. I used to have a friend who did my calibrations for me, but he moved
I may have to learn to do it myself now. So I can't really help with questions on greyscale, gamma, or CMS functionality. I'm just giving eyes on reports.

The remote now has extra 3D buttons (3D setting, and 3D format) and also a Lens memory button where the Lens aperature button was before(I miss that button already
)

You may call this over excitement, or the honeymoon period, but I can assure you that I've never seen a picture like this before! Of course there may be issues like the one I described above, or sudden lamp dimming, or 3D that's unusable after a few hundred hours, etc But I'll report that too. If you guys read any of my previous posts, you will realize that I'm not a JVC fanboy at all and the X7 gave me serious issues, and the X7 was my first JVC projector. As of now the picture is incredible, and I think this is the projector of the year (VW95 should be a contender too, but if it's about the same as the VW90, then the X70 has it beat for Film) I still haven't watched enough live action sports, or Docs to have a firm opinion as to how it stacks up to the VW90.

I'll be busy the next few days with more critical viewing, and motion tests will be forthcoming, and of course I'm still testing the Sony HMD (which of course I've found a few issue already which no ones has mentioned, lucky me!) Oh and some 3D testing too!

Just took a break from writing this post to quickly watch 20min of stuff. LOL. Again, WOW. If nothing crazy happens within the next while, I don't see my observations changing much

Ask questions but please be patient as I'm busy, and won't respond 24hours aday
I think you guys who preordered from AVS, or are going to preorder will be very happy with your decision. I really can't wait to hear what people think when they get these into their homes. I really wasn't expecting a big improvement from the X70 and was way more excited in getting my HMD then the projector, but the X70 makes the X7 look like a prototype. X70 is better in every way and has surpassed my expectations.

See less See more
#3,105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22144062

My projector makes a rather loud sound when it's starting up, sounds like a cow going MOO.

I think my projector makes a similar sound, but not loud - it is very faint. I think it is a fan. I've witnessed computer fans make this buzzing/mooing sound intermittently before, and it is similar. Like you, I don't want to send my projector back - frankly I'm on my 3rd projector due to other defects and now I have a good one I don't want to mess with it! Maybe it's a slightly loose fan bearing, or misaligned housing?

In my case, it makes the noise when it starts up for just a couple of seconds. Then it seems to occur again every few minutes. Unless I am sitting right under the projector, in complete silence, I don't hear it.

Paul

#3,106 ·
The sound my projector makes is quite a bit louder than the underlying fan sound. I have my pj set to high lamp mode and altitude setting is on. When I turn on the pj, it just makes the sound for a second or two, then it stops. After a while it starts to make the sound again, but much quieter and it slowly gets a little louder. At that point, if I turn altitude setting off, the sound goes away and stays away. So, it really just makes the noise while the projector is warming up. If I leave the altitude setting to off, when I start up the projector from a cold state, it makes the noise for several minutes, until the projector is warmed up.

#3,107 ·
#3,108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22149856

I live in Sweden, just saw this today, the price of the X70 has been dropped by nearly 30% but not on the X30 or X90.

Just bought a X70, but no near that "new" price.

Heres a link to the new price, it´s in Swedish krona http://www.elgiganten.se/product/ljud-bild/projektor/DLAX70RBE/jvc-3d-projektor-dla-x70r-svart

Has the price changed in your country?

Guess the price in the States should be around $5000 to be similar to the Swedish price.

Nope. In the UK the X70 is still around £7000! That's the equivalent of $11,000! We get ripped off in the UK.

#3,109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22150429

Nope. In the UK the X70 is still around £7000! That's the equivalent of $11,000! We get ripped off in the UK.

Time to import! That's nuts!!

The Aussie's get the bad end of the deal on a lot of these electronics. I sold a processor to a fellow down there for $5000. The same processor if bought in the country was closer to $11,000.

Correction, it was actually $7000 he paid for it. It cost $14,000 in Australia.

#3,111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22150440

Time to import! That's nuts!!

The Aussie's get the bad end of the deal on a lot of these electronics. I sold a processor to a fellow down there for $5000. The same processor if bought in the country was closer to $11,000.

Correction, it was actually $7000 he paid for it. It cost $14,000 in Australia.

I'm happy to say that as a THX calibrator I've now opened up a trade account with a supplier so I can personally get an X70 for trade price, but that no doubt still only equates to what you guys in the US pay at retail.
Actually, I'm thinking of trading up from my present Sony VW95 to the X70 so this is a real issue right now. I'd be interested in the opinions of anyone who's also done this. I like the VW95 for many things. The 3d is great. It has terrific motion (much better than my previous HD750). It's very sharp and sufficiently bright and there are no worries about lamp longevity. It's also really quiet and my unit has perfect convergence. In many ways I'd be very sorry to see it go as it's a terrific performer. However, while very good the black levels aren't quite as superlative as I'd like them to be. I thought I could live with this fact and for the most part I can, but I've discovered that I want black level performance to really wow me. I guess I'm just a hopeless black level fan!

#3,112 ·
I have a very interesting observation…..

I changed my settings from 422 on my Oppo BDP-95 and my RS65 to RGB and what a marked difference I’ve noticed. The blacks and contrast are much more pronounced. The image looks richer, more detail, sharper and much more 3D like than when I had everything set to 422. Anyone else try this and why should RGB look better to my eyes than 422 should when most say 422 is what we should use.

#3,113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22151667

I changed my settings from 422 on my Oppo BDP-95 and my RS65 to RGB and what a marked difference I’ve noticed. The blacks and contrast are much more pronounced. The image looks richer, more detail, sharper and much more 3D like than when I had everything set to 422. Anyone else try this and why should RGB look better to my eyes than 422 should when most say 422 is what we should use.

Didn't I see on the Darbee darblet thread that you were using one of these units? This would explain the more detailed, sharper and 3D picture, rather than the colorspace change. I'm considering getting one of these Darblets as well.

#3,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22152088

Didn't I see on the Darbee darblet thread that you were using one of these units? This would explain the more detailed, sharper and 3D picture, rather than the colorspace change. I'm considering getting one of these Darblets as well.

Correct you are right, but Im sure I have seen others mention they too saw an improvement when they went from 422 to RGB.

#3,115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22144062

My unit's Standard profile shows very minor undersaturation, so I'm using that as my color profile. ?
"standard" is a good profile.

It's also my favourite for BluRay, where my X70 is running in normal lamp mode.

But at the CIE triangle, the primaries/secondaries of "standard" are slightly inside the CIE triangle.

The best profile of my X70, where the measured RGB coordinates are closest to BT.709, is "cinema 2".

But this profile makes use of the internal color glas filter and should be used with high lamp mode.

So I thought, to get the X70 nearly perfect calibrated, it would be cool, if the RGB color coordinates of profile "Standard" at a 75% stimulus could be as good as they are with "cinema 2", but w/o filter and in normal lamp mode.

And I found a way to get it done by a little modification in the service menu.

First I did measured all 21 possible settings of parameter "L2" from profile "standard".

I found out, "L2" has an association to other color profiles (with there different target coordinates).

So finally I could see, if "L2" was changed from 5 (default for "standard") to 4 (normally used at "cinema 2"), my measured color coordinates of profile "standard" now are pretty close to the BT.709 targets. And not only at the 75% stimulus level ...

If you want, try it with your X70.

#3,116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22151667

Did you recalibrate, or at least check, the reference white and black levels after changing the Oppo and RS65 to RGB mode?

#3,117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22154754

Did you recalibrate, or at least check, the reference white and black levels after changing the Oppo and RS65 to RGB mode?
Yes and they did need some monor changes.

#3,118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry*  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22154554

"standard" is a good profile.

It's also my favourite for BluRay, where my X70 is running in normal lamp mode.

But at the CIE triangle, the primaries/secondaries of "standard" are slightly inside the CIE triangle.

The best profile of my X70, where the measured RGB coordinates are closest to BT.709, is "cinema 2".

But this profile makes use of the internal color glas filter and should be used with high lamp mode.

So I thought, to get the X70 nearly perfect calibrated, it would be cool, if the RGB color coordinates of profile "Standard" at a 75% stimulus could be as good as they are with "cinema 2", but w/o filter and in normal lamp mode.

And I found a way to get it done by a little modification in the service menu.

First I did measured all 21 possible settings of parameter "L2" from profile "standard".

I found out, "L2" has an association to other color profiles (with there different target coordinates).

So finally I could see, if "L2" was changed from 5 (default for "standard") to 4 (normally used at "cinema 2"), my measured color coordinates of profile "standard" now are pretty close to the BT.709 targets. And not only at the 75% stimulus level ...

If you want, try it with your X70.

I may have to give this a try. I was in the service menu once, but I didn't really understand what I was looking at, so I left it alone. I made all of my adjustments in the user's menu. Where do I go to make changes to the color profiles? Is there any guide or write up about using the service menu? I use the service menu to calibrate my 73" Mits RPTV, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with using a service menu.

#3,120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22155777

What are you guys using for screens?

I'm looking to gain a little brightness.

Tell me about you setup

Screen gain really depends on what your personal criteria is for brightness/black levels/contrast etc, screen size, room type etc.

In my case I have perfectly controlled room lighting (no ambient light), controlled room reflections (very little light reflected back to the screen) and a screen surface as big as 125" wide and about 67" tall. So...a big screen. (I vary my screen size with automated masking). My screen material is the Stewart ST-130 1.3 gain white screen.

I have had the RS55 since about November, I think, and have hundreds of hours on the bulb, and I still get a satisfyingly bright image, even on the largest image sizes, without having to go to high bulb mode.

I juggled all my criteria as best I could: I wanted to maintain good black levels, but have a punchy bright image, with as little screen artifacts as possible and as even illumination as possible (no visible hot-spotting). For me the Stewart 1.3 gain material

was the material that came closest to meeting all these goals. I see an amazing image.

#3,121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22155457

I may have to give this a try. I was in the service menu once, but I didn't really understand what I was looking at, so I left it alone. I made all of my adjustments in the user's menu. Where do I go to make changes to the color profiles? Is there any guide or write up about using the service menu? I use the service menu to calibrate my 73" Mits RPTV, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with using a service menu.

Yes, at all you only need to work with the user menu!

Some guys do preadjust the color temp profiles (gains/offsets) within the SM ... I see no need for, cause this can also be done at the user profiles.

But don't be afraid - there are not many options at the SM.

To be on the safe side, I wrote all settings down so I can go back every time.

I think, it's not possible to "kill" the X70 with any wrong setting there.

Maybe there is an other hided special service menu for other system settings.

Btw.: You may have seen it already ... within the SM you also can display some test patterns and you can switch off MPC for easier focus adjusting (therefor "screendoor" is useful
); thats what I use the SM some times.

3 notes in addition to my last post:

a) If you change L2 (or other parameters) you have to close the SM and open the user menu. Then you have to change the user color profile from "standard" to any other than "off", and back to "standard" to get the new setting active.

b) With L2 set to 4, my gamut is really close perfect, so I have no longer need to use the CMS. Surely I can only speak for my unit.

c) Generally: At the normal user menu, do not temporarily use color profile "off" cause there is a FW bug. If you change back from "off" to any other CP, the gamma at the low end grayscale levels get's slightly shifted. (Can be verified with a whole grayscale reading before/after).

#3,122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3090#post_22156188

Screen gain really depends on what your personal criteria is for brightness/black levels/contrast etc, screen size, room type etc.

In my case I have perfectly controlled room lighting (no ambient light), controlled room reflections (very little light reflected back to the screen) and a screen surface as big as 125" wide and about 67" tall. So...a big screen. (I vary my screen size with automated masking). My screen material is the Stewart ST-130 1.3 gain white screen.

I have had the RS55 since about November, I think, and have hundreds of hours on the bulb, and I still get a satisfyingly bright image, even on the largest image sizes, without having to go to high bulb mode.

I juggled all my criteria as best I could: I wanted to maintain good black levels, but have a punchy bright image, with as little screen artifacts as possible and as even illumination as possible (no visible hot-spotting). For me the Stewart 1.3 gain material

was the material that came closest to meeting all these goals. I see an amazing image.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure if it's my lamp or not but on a 97" wide matte white screen with 20 hrs on the lamp with the apature set to 0 it measured 370 lumens in normal mode and high power 665.

This was done in thx mode

I looked at both samples of the Dalite high power and st 130, and obviously brightness goes to high power but I'm worried about artifacts on the whole screen.

I too have a completely light controlled dedicated dark walls and ceilings, but I do watch tv with some lights on away from the screen.

#3,123 ·
I received a call about 30 mins ago and I'm now patiently waiting for the dealer to arrive and install my new projector.
I am curious as to how much of a difference this RS55 will be compared to my old Infocus 7205? I have read this thread which made my decision much easier than I expected. I've always used AVS forum's information to help with my purchases.

#3,125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3120#post_22158309

Just watch a movie with a lot of dark scenes so you can fully appreciate that difference.

I am not lying when I say that as soon as it was installed and optimized for my 123" Da Lite HCCV screen @1.5 gain the FIRST thing I could see was detail in the dark scenes! The blacks were actually black as opposed to dark grey which is what the 7205 outputs. We were watching U-571 and I have never seen as much detail in dark scenes before and I'm very familiar with my room and equipment. It's a dedicated room and light controlled. The color saturation is also much improved. Colors stand out but not too much. I am using it in THX mode right now without any tweeking since I want to wait a day or two before I start tweeking it for best picture capability. WOW is an understatement right now. I will study the manual later tonight after watching more Blu Ray content.Projectors sure have improved at least when comparing my ancient Infocus 7205 to the new JVC RS55.
My video now can keep up with the audio portion in my room!

#3,126 ·
It's funny how new equipment can change one's perspective.

With my previous JVC RS20 and my current RS55 I've been used to never seeing pixel structure - especially of course with the RS55!

Yesterday I was at a high end AV store that has the Panasonic 103" plasma displayed. I'd always loved that plasma and it was once my dream display. Now when I watch it I'm amazed how

much I see of the pixel structure. I'm just not used to that being an issue at all on any size image at home. It does downgrade the viewing experience for me somewhat (on the plasma).

All the more reason I'm happy with my projector!

BTW, I watched the Blu-Ray of Tati's Playtime - a movie meant to be viewed huge (I had it at about 135" diagonal), and also some of Dr. No Blu-Ray the same size. It was just amazing on the RS55! Using the MPC settings and also adding some clarity with the Darbee Darblet made these movies look even more stunning than ever before in my home. I was pinching myself that I could have such large images at this quality.

#3,127 ·
This thread has me drooling so much...I have to stop reading it!
Anyway, I'm definitely eyeing JVC's next line of projectors. I'm most likely getting the mid level projector (RS80 or whatever it will be called). I was thinking of some improvements that JVC can make. I would like JVC to implement some kind of "gaming mode" to lower the lag time. Maybe they can improve the lag time with higher refresh rates. I love movies but I also like to game a bit (Gran Turismo 5 comes to mind). I wouldn't mind if JVC improves their 3D as well. Less crosstalk, brighter, and the ability to use their clear motion drive. Speaking of CMD, I'd like that improved as well. Maybe a bit smoother and more subtle like Sony's motion flow. Finally I would like some more improvements on black levels and contrast. I know that JVC has the best, but the black levels are similar over the past 2 or 3 years. It won't hurt!
If those things I mentioned come to fruition, I'll be in image quality heaven!!

#3,128 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness  /t/1375082/official-jvc-rs55-x70-owners-thread/3120#post_22160547

It's funny how new equipment can change one's perspective.

With my previous JVC RS20 and my current RS55 I've been used to never seeing pixel structure - especially of course with the RS55!

Yesterday I was at a high end AV store that has the Panasonic 103" plasma displayed. I'd always loved that plasma and it was once my dream display. Now when I watch it I'm amazed how

much I see of the pixel structure.

Case in point:

When I used to own a very curved CRT monitor, and then went to a flat LCD monitor years ago, the image on the FLAT LCD did not look flat at all, it looked curved inward to me. The reason is because our brain compensates over time for those issues. Some people have less-compensating brains than others...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.