Official JVC RS55/X70 owners thread. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
It's posted by Ron on the first page of this thread (#4).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

It's posted by Ron on the first page of this thread (#4).

Okay, thanks. Presumably once you get into the service menu, is it easy to find the 100 IRE screen?

Here is what Ron wrote in post #4:

Quote:

Press up, down, right, left, enter (press these buttons in this sequence and do it fairly fast). You may need to try several times to get the timing just right to bring up the service menu screen.

post #363 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Yeah, I almost never got the timing right. Kutlow came up with a technique that worked all the time - I think by doing the first part with the remote and the final enter on the projector itself. But don't quote me on that.

Joe Clark

post #364 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I'm really looking forward to the first impressions of current RS40 owners. Mine (hopefully) should be here shortly.

Joe Clark

post #365 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I hope to get my first summary out on Sunday. I am afraid it will have to wait into next week for me to run a calibration run as I am duty manager for my job this weekend and it is just too busy with too many interruptions.

I will say though that for 2D, this is one amazing projector and definitely a step-up from the X7. The main thing is its so much brighter in a usable preset, so I can stop the iris down more, which means the contrast goes up. Combined with the e-shift, I am addicted to watching it.

3D is more of a mixed bag so far and I will cover that in my summary shortly.

I am not going to write an essay, but I wanted to have time to go back and forth between the X7 and X70 and to get over the initial "honeymoon" effect. This is still not perfection, whether it be convergence, edge to edge sharpness at shortest throw or uniformity. But sometimes it is just good to sit down and actually watch something!

EDIT: I was asked if I see streaking off white letters on a black background. With the Oppo screensaver, I can "just" see a very faint streaking if I am right up to the screen. As soon as I step back, its gone.
post #366 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Liked: 10
Can someone confirm if the lens memory will not change automaticly like AE7000 ?
post #367 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hope to get it up tonight, just sold the RS50 emitter, and glasses, I did keep one pair to compare to the new glasses to see if there are any differences. I'll hopefully have something soon in regards to initial tests-Sunday/Monday, maybe tonight..
post #368 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymic View Post

Can someone confirm if the lens memory will not change automaticly like AE7000 ?

Not likely. You can download the manual, and nothing of the sort is mentioned in the manual.
post #369 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

I hope to get it up tonight, just sold the RS50 emitter, and glasses, I did keep one pair to compare to the new glasses to see if there are any differences. I'll hopefully have something soon in regards to initial tests-Sunday/Monday, maybe tonight..

At lot of none HT people are also hoping for the same thing.
post #370 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

So far on Lumens measurements, I am not seeing a significant difference from the RS50 at 311hrs vs. the RS55 at 0 hours in THX mode. Keep in mind the baselines I took this morning are the same. Nobody should freak out at my Lumens reading at the throw and screen size I am at:

THX Mode:

RS50: 372 Lumens, with ANSI Lumens average of 325
RS55: 405 Lumens, with ANSI Lumens average of 339

Not sure what to make of this now, kind of wishing I used my pattern generator earlier.

At any rate my expectation when calibrated is that it is higher than THX mode.

To my eyes with lens control on the cross hair pattern it did not seem as sharp as the RS50, no real content has been viewed.

In the SM, the convergence looked very good.

I did notice the Oppo logo white banding though not as significant as what was posted earlier.

I also have the same software version as conan48, if there is an update available it should be posted.

Update: I am going to reserve judgement on the Lumens, I just saw it jump in brightness and measured an additional 15 lux or about 451 Lumens at single point, the bulb is clearly not stable yet.
post #371 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

So far on Lumens measurements, I am not seeing a significant difference from the RS50 at 311hrs vs. the RS55 at 0 hours in THX mode. Keep in mind the baselines I took this morning are the same. Nobody should freak out at my Lumens reading at the throw and screen size I am at:

THX Mode:

Those are low lamp? Also, not sure why screen size would affect lumens -- ftL, yes, but lumens?

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

post #372 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
@Gotchaa

What did you measure the lumens with?

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #373 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

@Gotchaa

What did you measure the lumens with?

Same meter used this AM on RS50, Mastech Digital Illuminance/Light Meter LX1330B...baseline established as it's mounted in same spot and distance, 17ft..
post #374 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Those are low lamp? Also, not sure why screen size would affect lumens -- ftL, yes, but lumens?

THX mode is Normal lamp mode, there is normal and high on the JVC.
post #375 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:

THX Mode:

Not sure what to make of this now, kind of wishing I used my pattern generator earlier.

At any rate my expectation when calibrated is that it is higher than THX mode.

To my eyes with lens control on the cross hair pattern it did not seem as sharp as the RS50, no real content has been viewed.

In the SM, the convergence looked very good.

I did notice the Oppo logo white banding though not as significant as what was posted earlier.

I also have the same software version as conan48, if there is an update available it should be posted.

Update: I am going to reserve judgement on the Lumens, I just saw it jump in brightness and measured an additional 15 lux or about 451 Lumens at single point, the bulb is clearly not stable yet.

How long did you let it warm up B4 measuring?

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #376 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

How long did you let it warm up B4 measuring?

Not long enough. Chill bud, we're trying to make sure your picture doesn't end up posted on JVC support desks this year
There are a few differences in this model that I will have to play with, also did not set the screen adjust so that is one variable left out. Once I get it all squared away and calibrated I'll post the same excel sheet.

I will say at my distance it is hard to notice eShift doing it's thing, but if I walk up to the screen, there is no pixel structure visible just the screen material. THX mode looks fairly good OTB, there are some issues.

Took a look at the pixel adjust, my head is spinning reminds me of RPTV CRT's...zones/fine adjust or whole/adjust. Pro Cal of this unit should be more if it requires pixel adjustment. Also noticed there are Picture Tone settings as well. Time to RTFM. This is going to take some time to play with.

I'll measure OTB THX mode soon and post those numbers. Perhaps someone should start a calibration thread.
post #377 of 3675 Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Great glad to hear you'll be measuring the THX mode soon because I am curious what affect tuning to D65 will have on your lumens.
post #378 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

No I ran it on high mode in the 3D setting, but I also went through other picture modes and brightness settings, etc and no effect on ghosting.

I'm kinda spoiled by the Sony HMD. That is the future of 3D It won't be a very social 3D future though

I'll post some pics later that should be interesting. Baraka. Shot on 70mm, then converted to 4K, then downconverted to 1080p, then back upconverted to 4k (well almost 4k, I think the JVC does 3800 or something)

Taking sharpness down from default of 30 in 3D mode helped.
post #379 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

slightly off-topic. I couldn't find the RS45/55/65 on the Harmony remote database. Anyone know what to use? (Nor I am able to find X30/X70/X90)...

I will build one soon, then you can just ask tech support to copy mine.
post #380 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Folks,

Attached are some OOB measurements for THX mode with i1 and D3, as well as offsets.

It appears JVC has chosen to continue to set hard video limits with "Standard" HDMI setting. On HDMI settings, the "Standard" HDMI setting which is 16-235 video levels clips black and white, I tested this with black/white pluge patterns on the Accupel 5k as well as Spears Munsil BD. Setting HDMI to "Super White" gives me 16-255 which allows for the boxed color gradients to appear in the SM test pattern that has WRGB boxes, standard makes these boxes appear as solid. I can also see up to 254 with this setting. However blacks are still clipped. Setting HDMI to enhanced results in 0-255 levels and the pluge bar pattern appears but it is overall objectional and I think would be wrong to attempt calibration with PC levels on the JVC.

Break for football will get to calibration later this evening, I will do both standard HDMI and SuperWhite to see which results in a better overall picture, my guess is Standard, but we'll see...

MPC is disabled in the SM for these measurements
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #381 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Gotcha -do you have a copy of the RS50's THX mode gray scale to post? I am trying to remember if your reds were as low as mine.

My red's were quite low, 82-83% while green and blue were fine. (with 2 different lamps, no difference). Those reds look a bunch healthier in the report you just posted.

post #382 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
With the (now ancient) RS20, 'standard' and 'enhanced' HDMI worked this same way. Greg Rogers recommended using enhanced, with Brightness and Contrast then set in the usual way: in 'standard', Br and Cst both come out ~ 0, and in 'enhanced', Br is ~ -5 or -6, and Cst ~ + 5 or 6. In 'enhanced' one can choose to set Cst to clip everything above 235 (as some advocate), or to reveal the S&M bars all the way up to 250 (as S&M recommend).
post #383 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

With the (now ancient) RS20, 'standard' and 'enhanced' HDMI worked this same way. Greg Rogers recommended using enhanced, with Brightness and Contrast then set in the usual way: in 'standard', Br and Cst both come out ~ 0, and in 'enhanced', Br is ~ -5 or -6, and Cst ~ + 5 or 6. In 'enhanced' one can choose to set Cst to clip everything above 235 (as some advocate), or to reveal the S&M bars all the way up to 250 (as S&M recommend).

You beat me to this post. The only caveat I'd add is if one adjusts Contrast to 250 then that's the level which produces the brightest output of the projector. For sources (such as video) that cannot exceed 235 the full light output of the projector is not achieved. So, bottom line is yes, setting contrast to 250 buys some headroom but it also reduces light output at 235. Tradeoffs......

Geof
post #384 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

You beat me to this post. The only caveat I'd add is if one adjusts Contrast to 250 then that's the level which produces the brightest output of the projector. For sources (such as video) that cannot exceed 235 the full light output of the projector is not achieved. So, bottom line is yes, setting contrast to 250 buys some headroom but it also reduces light output at 235. Tradeoffs......

Agreed! When I used to play around with this, I think I needed Cst to be ~ +5 to reveal the S&M bars up to 250, but if I only want to resolve them up to 235 I could set Cst all the way up to ~ +10 to 12, thus giving a brighter pic. And even though S&M recommend setting Cst to resolve the bars all the way up to 250 (just in case there is some material in that region), I believe most people chose to set Cst higher--resolving the bars only up to ~ 235 (or slightly above)--so as to get more light output.

But this is all with HDMI set to 'enhanced'. With it set to 'standard', the bars above 235 were all crushed, no matter what one set Cst to.
post #385 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

But this is all with HDMI set to 'enhanced'. With it set to 'standard', the bars above 235 were all crushed, no matter what one set Cst to.

Agreed!
There may be a decent tradeoff in there somewhere though -- one doesn't have to go to 250.....perhaps split the difference at 242....

Geof
post #386 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Agreed!
There may be a decent tradeoff in there somewhere though -- one doesn't have to go to 250.....perhaps split the difference at 242....

The latter is exactly what I do. With my HP screen the pic is plenty bright and dynamic, and having this headroom above 235 really insures excellent resolution in the brightest white parts of a pic.
post #387 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
There's a thread somewhere in the calibration section about whether there is any real information on discs above 235 (apart from test patterns obviously). In the light of this thread I aimed for 240 or so just to give a tiny bit of headroom, but also to maximise contrast. What I always find surprising is when plasma owners calibrate their fL by turning the contrast way down and throwing away the contrast of their displays. At least JVCs allow the control of fL using the iris...something that will probably make me buy another JVC in future (lamp issues, etc pending).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #388 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

There's a thread somewhere in the calibration section about whether there is any real information on discs above 235 (apart from test patterns obviously). In the light of this thread I aimed for 240 or so just to give a tiny bit of headroom, but also to maximise contrast. What I always find surprising is when plasma owners calibrate their fL by turning the contrast way down and throwing away the contrast of their displays. At least JVCs allow the control of fL using the iris...something that will probably make me buy another JVC in future (lamp issues, etc pending).

I also indeed remember this thread--exhaustive and passionate! But my take home lesson was to do just as you.
post #389 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Let me point at first, it is possible I have a defective unit/bulb.

I agree with what folks are posting regarding tradeoffs with HDMI settings, I will settle on standard or superwhite for my viewing. Ideally, Standard mode would allow slightly below and above black and white video levels with minimal changes to brightness/contrast settings for maximum light output in video range. Basically nothing changed from the RS50 so this is really not news.

With my unit, there are issues with the CMS still. I am finding while Colors are close to Rec709HD in "Standard" color profile, when using the custom 1 color profile to dial it in further, saturation control is unresponsive for primaries, secondaries and orange--regardless of where the control is moved. This is a problem. The CMS "blanking" issue still exists, when changing color settings the screen is blanking for .5 to 1 second. I am assuming that JVC was unable to correct this since it existed in the RS50 as well, it does however seem quicker. Overall colors are very accurate out of the box.

The ISF Calibrator II software cannot access and unlock the ISFccc modes, it seems there needs to be an update to allow one to use this tool for calibration, most use DDC with Spectracal so not sure if someone can check if it works with that software or if it is a JVC software issue.

Finally, I have noticed an anomaly when viewing 100% Gray Field pattern via an Accupel pattern generator. There are colors all over the screen, patches of red and green. I replicated this with the JVC Service Menu 100% Gray Field pattern as well. I also disabled MPC in the service menu in the off chance this was causing an issue, same result. In the off chance the Dalite HP screen is causing this, I am going to do a sheet test as well. I would be surprised if this was the case the RS50 did not have this issue.

I can't say that I've watched much content yet, some test material should reveal how bad the issue is, hard to tell in the compressed picture, but I included it anyhow.

I have an email into JVC engineering.

So far good and bad, let's assume this is a bum unit.
LL
LL
LL
post #390 of 3675 Old 12-04-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Let me point at first, it is possible I have a defective unit/bulb.

I agree with what folks are posting regarding tradeoffs with HDMI settings, I will settle on standard or superwhite for my viewing. Ideally, Standard mode would allow slightly below and above black and white video levels with minimal changes to brightness/contrast settings for maximum light output in video range. Basically nothing changed from the RS50 so this is really not news.

With my unit, there are issues with the CMS still. I am finding while Colors are close to Rec709HD in "Standard" color profile, when using the custom 1 color profile to dial it in further, saturation control is unresponsive for primaries, secondaries and orange--regardless of where the control is moved. This is a problem. The CMS "blanking" issue still exists, when changing color settings the screen is blanking for .5 to 1 second. I am assuming that JVC was unable to correct this since it existed in the RS50 as well, it does however seem quicker. Overall colors are very accurate out of the box.

The ISF Calibrator II software cannot access and unlock the ISFccc modes, it seems there needs to be an update to allow one to use this tool for calibration, most use DDC with Spectracal so not sure if someone can check if it works with that software or if it is a JVC software issue.

Finally, I have noticed an anomaly when viewing 100% Gray Field pattern via an Accupel pattern generator. There are colors all over the screen, patches of red and green. I replicated this with the JVC Service Menu 100% Gray Field pattern as well. I also disabled MPC in the service menu in the off chance this was causing an issue, same result. In the off chance the Dalite HP screen is causing this, I am going to do a sheet test as well. I would be surprised if this was the case the RS50 did not have this issue.

I can't say that I've watched much content yet, some test material should reveal how bad the issue is, hard to tell in the compressed picture, but I included it anyhow.

I have an email into JVC engineering.

So far good and bad, let's assume this is a bum unit.

When trying to use the CMS, what color profile did you try to calibrate from?

Affable Nitwit
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page