Official JVC RS55/X70 owners thread. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3675 Old 11-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very good job.. I'm gonna see a X70 very soon anyway before I'll think 'bout buying one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3675 Old 11-24-2011, 07:55 PM

Conan,

If you can, please post your opinion on the JVC's 2D to 3D converter.

AVForums posted that the projector's converter added genuine depth to the 2D Blu-ray of Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Your take on the projector's 2D to 3D conversion of this disc - or any other BD, HDTV show, sports, and/or game - would be greatly appreciated. TIA
post #33 of 3675 Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Just a quick update on 3D.

The 3D is brighter then the X7, but it also has a lot more ghosting I tried a bunch of different picture modes and the crosstalk canceler did nothing to get rid of the the ghosting.

Also, I'm not a fan at all of 2D to 3D conversion and this is no different. Lots of ghosting and minimal 3D effect. It just pushes the image past the screen giving the illusion of depth, but it doesn't really make anything 3D.

I have the original emitter, and the original JVC glasses as well as the Xpand 103. Both glasses ghost the same amount, and the parallax control is pretty cool in that it lets you set your own seperation pop/depth. The parallax control can get rid of ghosting for a single scene, but as soon as the scene transitions, the ghosting is back. It's not effective for crosstalk.

I really wonder if this is a defective unit. The 3D has ghosting on pretty much every scene even after the projector has been on for over an hour. I wonder if the new JVC glasses are required to get rid of the ghosting. I doubt it can be this bad on all the new JVC. So, I wouldn't panic yet. Hopefully we get some more reviews soon.

Jason I will also post a pic of the lamp number too. I'll answer some of the other questions tomorrow, as today I concentrated on the 3D mainly.
LL
LL
LL
post #34 of 3675 Old 11-24-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

So any comparisons to the Sony 95???

+1 same question
post #35 of 3675 Old 11-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotb777 View Post

+1 same question

I know that Conan has owned a Sony VW90, so he can probably give you his thoughts between it and the JVC X70. The 2D picture of the VW90 is basically the same as the VW95, but the VW95 has much better 3D.
post #36 of 3675 Old 11-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

The 3D is brighter then the X7, but it also has a lot more ghosting I tried a bunch of different picture modes and the crosstalk canceler did nothing to get rid of the the ghosting.

Also, I'm not a fan at all of 2D to 3D conversion and this is no different. Lots of ghosting and minimal 3D effect. It just pushes the image past the screen giving the illusion of depth, but it doesn't really make anything 3D.

I have the original emitter, and the original JVC glasses as well as the Xpand 103. Both glasses ghost the same amount, and the parallax control is pretty cool in that it lets you set your own seperation pop/depth. The parallax control can get rid of ghosting for a single scene, but as soon as the scene transitions, the ghosting is back. It's not effective for crosstalk.

I really wonder if this is a defective unit. The 3D has ghosting on pretty much every scene even after the projector has been on for over an hour. I wonder if the new JVC glasses are required to get rid of the ghosting. I doubt it can be this bad on all the new JVC. So, I wouldn't panic yet. Hopefully we get some more reviews soon.

Jason I will also post a pic of the lamp number too. I'll answer some of the other questions tomorrow, as today I concentrated on the 3D mainly.

That's not good news on the 3D. Perhaps you do have a bad unit that has excessive ghosting. I don't know what good it will do if you get JVC's new 3D glasses, but it might help. Getting 3D right is so frustrating!

Oh, and Conan I asked you some questions a couple of posts back related to the 2D PQ, so I'm patiently waiting your response.
post #37 of 3675 Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Are these ghosting scenes from SbS Conent or a Frame Packed 3D Blu-ray?
post #38 of 3675 Old 11-24-2011, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Last year 3D ghosting varied on different units. My RS40 was almost perfect with 3D blu rays, after the warm up time of course, but SBS material was a different story. It was so bad that I got a cheaper DLP to watch it along with gaming. As much as the X70/RS55 cost, it should not be unwatchable I think.
post #39 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Hey Conan

I was able to do a comparison, and mentioned it in many threads. The Ghosting was the exact same on my X3 compared to a X70. Both Brand new bulbs. I spent 3 hours with this machine and 3d was not any better. this was also with the new glasses and Frame Packed blu-ray 1080/24p.

You do not have a bad unit its how these units are. That shows the exact same amount I was seeing.

try these scenes. The Walt Disney opening with Mickey on his Boat(you can see this on tangled, Lion king). On the lion king when Zazu first flies in during the circle of life.

There are more scenes you can test just like the one you did. It will show the same amount of ghosting.
post #40 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 05:00 AM

Best thing is : use your jvc for 2D only and buy a optoma hd300X for 3D (it costs just 1/10 then jvc X90 but is 100 times better in 3d )
post #41 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Conan:

The 3d performance is the one significant reason I am considering upgrading my RS40. If what you are seeing is the norm, I am canceling my preorder for RS55. I can't believe the 2d performance could be that much better. It is spectacular. Not to mention the resale value of the RS40 is terrible right now. They are selling for the same price as an RS20.

John
post #42 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

Conan:

The 3d performance is the one significant reason I am considering upgrading my RS40. If what you are seeing is the norm, I am canceling my preorder for RS55. I can't believe the 2d performance could be that much better. It is spectacular. Not to mention the resale value of the RS40 is terrible right now. They are selling for the same price as an RS20.

John

Resale value suck, I had to sell mines as soon as the new models were announced.
post #43 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Blee, just out of curiosity how much did you get? I would be lucky if I could net $2300. I am having trouble justifying a $3,000 upgrade. I would consider the RS45, but I feel rather certain any upgrade would be minimal.

John
post #44 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:

Blee, just out of curiosity how much did you get? I would be lucky if I could net $2300. I am having trouble justifying a $3,000 upgrade. I would consider the RS45, but I feel rather certain any upgrade would be minimal.

John

even the better resale value is worth to buy the rs45 over the rs40. that's why I "upgrade".
post #45 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

blee, just out of curiosity how much did you get? I would be lucky if i could net $2300. I am having trouble justifying a $3,000 upgrade. I would consider the rs45, but i feel rather certain any upgrade would be minimal.

John

$2550, but that was one week after Cedia. I could have sold it for more but as soon as I heard the pre order price for the RS45, I just had to sell it fast
post #46 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

I suspect there's not a "ghost" of a chance you'll use the JVC for 3D when you have company over. What a disappointment! The rationale was that the 3D on the JVC was a freebie, but with more and more content becoming available the importance of 3D to many makes the JVC a purchase that's hard to justify if you can only have one projector. I was holding on to a "faint hope" possibility that the JVC would be an outstanding 2D and 3D projector. Your report on the 3D calls into question one particular review I have read about the new JVCs and how good the 3D and 2D to 3D conversion was claimed to be. As far as projectors go -- Next!
post #47 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD View Post

even the better resale value is worth to buy the rs45 over the rs40. that's why I "upgrade".

Made tabularasa ;-)
Canceled my RS45 order. Instead of it I ordered an Optoma HD83 just for 3D viewing and I will stay with my RS40 for the usual 2D content.
post #48 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully I get a good unit like last year with very little ghosting
post #49 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Hopefully I get a good unit like last year with very little ghosting

Does ghosting really vary a significant amount from unit to unit? I am very pleased with the 3d on my rs40 and now I'm having second thoughts on getting the 45 as I mainly want it for just the lens memory feature.

post #50 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Conan - Have you had a chance to look at single pixel crosshatch patterns? I am very curious to see what e-shift does to single pixel patterens like those.

Affable Nitwit
post #51 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4vu View Post

Does ghosting really vary a significant amount from unit to unit? I am very pleased with the 3d on my rs40 and now I'm having second thoughts on getting the 45 as I mainly want it for just the lens memory feature.

Some complain about it as being a problem, but mines was very good. I just wish side by side was a little better. I think it did very last year
post #52 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Jason:

If you read the forums on the RS40/RS50, I think it is safe to say that pretty much every quality of the projector varies somewhat from unit to unit. This is part of my concern in upgrading. I have what I know to be an excellent RS40. I don't want to "upgrade" to a unit that does not perform as well.

John
post #53 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 08:12 AM

Side by side wasn't good on mine either but the blu ray 3ds showed very little ghosting.

post #54 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Jason:

If you read the forums on the RS40/RS50, I think it is safe to say that pretty much every quality of the projector varies somewhat from unit to unit. This is part of my concern in upgrading. I have what I know to be an excellent RS40. I don't want to "upgrade" to a unit that does not perform as well.

John

It's a shame you have to be worried about losing quality in an "upgrade"

post #55 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4vu View Post

It's a shame you have to be worried about losing quality in an "upgrade"

Jason,

I couldn't agree with you more. JVC better wake up before their reputation in the projector market (and this seems to me to be the only area of CE in which they actually excel) is ruined beyond repair. They did enormous damage to their reputation last year with obviously rushing out the RS40, RS50 & RS60. These units have definitely had very significant QC issues and furthermore, they still have not fixed the premature lamp dimming / outage issues. Another bad model year and they will be moved to the bargain basement where most of their other CE products reside.

John
post #56 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I just got a message from my dealer saying they wan't me to send the projector back for a software/firmware update

I'll send it in sometime next week maybe. I'll try to find out what it's for, before sending it in. If I do send it in, I'll mention the white streaks, and excessive crosstalk and see if it's a defect or not. Guys I wouldn't freak out too much yet about the crosstalk. I'm thinking something is bad, as it's noticeably worse then the x7 with the exact same material. The crosstalk is also weird that sometimes you don't see the double image itself but just a hard outline of the ghosted image (i'll try and post a picture)

I wonder if it's 3D related (firmware)? and I hope someone does a comparison with the old vs. new glasses to see if they help with crosstalk.

Off too work, but I'll post some more 2D impressions tonight. I need to watch an entire movie from start to finish So far I like the X70 more then the VW90 for film and with the improved CMD, and more dynamic image of the x70, I think it will be great for sports too.

I'll also test to see if anything can get rid of the white streaks. They are not bad, but my x7 did not have them at all.

My dealer is pretty good at keeping me updated with JVC info and he seems to somehow get everything first in Canada for the best price.
post #57 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Liked: 20
You never should have been sent that RS55 until the software was finalized which it obviously wasn't. Its not like you are getting a fix for a problem that arose in the field. You got a unit that did not have the final production software.
post #58 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 10:30 AM

People on AVForums are saying that 3D is essentially the same as last years' models. Maybe Conan just got an exceptionally bad unit.

It's feeling like JVC is really dropping the ball again on their QC- this time right out of the gate.
post #59 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 10:39 AM

I will go to Sony VW95 really thanks conan48
post #60 of 3675 Old 11-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just got a message from my dealer saying they wan't me to send the projector back for a software/firmware update

I'll send it in sometime next week maybe. I'll try to find out what it's for, before sending it in. If I do send it in, I'll mention the white streaks, and excessive crosstalk and see if it's a defect or not. Guys I wouldn't freak out too much yet about the crosstalk. I'm thinking something is bad, as it's noticeably worse then the x7 with the exact same material. The crosstalk is also weird that sometimes you don't see the double image itself but just a hard outline of the ghosted image (i'll try and post a picture)

I wonder if it's 3D related (firmware)? and I hope someone does a comparison with the old vs. new glasses to see if they help with crosstalk.

Off too work, but I'll post some more 2D impressions tonight. I need to watch an entire movie from start to finish So far I like the X70 more then the VW90 for film and with the improved CMD, and more dynamic image of the x70, I think it will be great for sports too.

I'll also test to see if anything can get rid of the white streaks. They are not bad, but my x7 did not have them at all.

My dealer is pretty good at keeping me updated with JVC info and he seems to somehow get everything first in Canada for the best price.

I think I have now made my decision to never buy another JVC product again. This is just completely unacceptable!! This is not a cheap TV we are talking about here. This is a $6,000 high-end display device!!!! It is apparent to me that this model isn't ready for prime-time either and we are headed for another half-baked year with JVC.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page