post #631 of 3675 Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Joe - do you still have your RS40? Since it sounds like your 40 has much better convergence and 3D, and the PQ may not be significantly different, maybe try another 45 or even stick with the 40?

Yes, I still have the RS40. Based on the few posts on ghosting I've read, I suspect I'd be better off sticking with the RS40. The 2D to 3D conversion, based on the little I could see through the ghosts, didn't look any better than my Samsung. I wouldn't swear to that, though, because the ghosting was so distracting it made it hard to see anything else.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3675 Old 12-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. Just installed new JVC X70. Use with Oppo 93 player.

Impressed 2D picture quality - reference contrast & black levels.

But in 3D mode picture don't look very bright. In dark scenes (such as Resident Evil 3D) I really need more brightness.

I use Stewart FireHawk G3 100' screens. My last projector (upgraded it to X70) was Sony VPL-VW90. Many people said that Sony VPL-WV90 is insufficiently bright in 3D.
But, in special calibration mode (found settings on this forum, changed color gain) and with Xpand x103 glasses, Sony VPL-WV90 looks normal for me on my screen in 3D.

So, I upgraded Sony to JVC and found that in 3D mode calibrated Sony VPL-VW90 as bright as JVC X70! JVC perhaps even darker...
Yes, I can't use Xpand x103 glasses with JVC & I use JVC rechargeable glasses.

Bulb life - 3 hours.

My question is - I have too many hopes on the brightness of JVC? Or I need to change my projector? Or this is a special calibration which will increase the brightness? Now I use 3D settings on JVC & User 1 settings (3D color, gamma A, contrast -5, brightness +2, color temp 7500).

Please, tell me your settings for JVC in 3D mode.
Many thanks for help.
post #633 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I watched 2D Blu-ray and Blu-ray iso's from the computer for about 45 minutes before I put in a 3D disc. I had HDMI issues with my Sony S580 3D Blu-ray player and had to set HDMI manually. Once I did, the handshake issues disappeared. I was enjoying what looked like better contrast and brightness than my RS40 (though it was hard to tell, since I have about 400 hours on the RS40 lamp). Everything seemed to be working as it should. Then I put in Toy Story 3D, and then Monsters vs Aliens 3D. After another 45 minutes at high lamp in 3D mode, the ghosting had not improved one bit.

Sorry to hear this Joe. If you give us specific scene references I am more than happy to try the same scenes. What I found is the ghosting is a bit worse than last years models, because the contrast is increased, and as a result the ghost has more contrast. Hard edges like say a square with a deep black outline, will have a ghost with a harder outline than before. Is it that "pencil sketch" hard outlined ghosting that you are now seeing?

Have you tried setting the crosstalk cancel white setting to -8? You can also try decreasing contrast a bit
post #634 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Yes, I still have the RS40. Based on the few posts on ghosting I've read, I suspect I'd be better off sticking with the RS40. The 2D to 3D conversion, based on the little I could see through the ghosts, didn't look any better than my Samsung. I wouldn't swear to that, though, because the ghosting was so distracting it made it hard to see anything else.

Joe,

I watched a bit of Monsters in 3D this evening. There was plenty of ghosting, this was due the the Parallax setting under Input>3D....I was able to adjust it to +1 which removed the ghosting completely. I am not sure if this is going to be the final setting or I can expect adjustments to be title dependent, but if the RS45 has this control setting, give it a try to see if you can dial it in to your liking.
post #635 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

Joe,

I watched a bit of Monsters in 3D this evening. There was plenty of ghosting, this was due the the Parallax setting under Input>3D....I was able to adjust it to +1 which removed the ghosting completely. I am not sure if this is going to be the final setting or I can expect adjustments to be title dependent, but if the RS45 has this control setting, give it a try to see if you can dial it in to your liking.

Unfortunately parallax is a red herring. This is NOT a feature to reduce ghosting. All you are doing is correcting it for one scene or for a part of a movie. Different movies and scenes will change the relative parallax and that will mean you would need to change your setting every few minutes. Parallax control is for when the producers/director have put the "0" point of the z-axis too far forward so that it us uncomfortable to watch. For example Sammy has a huge amount of pop-out and it can almost hurt the eyes after a while. Some may choose to use parallax to push things back into the screen a bit (it does not reduce the 3D depth range, just shifts is forwards or backwards). Parallax adjustment is not a ghosting cure.
post #636 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

I've done Stage with Superwhite, Standard Color Profile, with Standard HDMI levels, and No Color Profile as well, 3 reports. I need to compress them before posting the PDFs, PM me your email and I will send it over.

Just to update those interested in this, Gotcha has kindly emailed me his results (pdfs too big to be attached), and I can confirm that stage doesn't track better regarding saturations than the profiles tested by Jonstatt. So it looks like the saturations bug is still there on all the profiles when CMS corrections are applied (standard/THX track almost perfectly when uncorrected).

Gotchaa hasn't had the time yet to try a calibration from profiles off, and might be able to do so over the week-end, but as profiles=off doesn't seem to be tracking properly uncorrected (undersaturated at 75% sat and below), it's very unlikely this will not get worse when a substantial amount of CMS correction is applied. It also makes it a not so great candidate as the starting point for a calibration with an external VP, which is bad news as it's narrower than in last year's models (which is good news). Also, as before, all the advanced controls (sharpness, CMD, color temp) are greyed off when profiles are switched off, which makes it very inconvenient.

For those who don't calibrate themselves, there is no need to panic, a good calibrator should find an acceptable compromise (they just won't be able to show you a nice looking report with all the targets spot on and a minimal dEs, unless they cheat!).

It doesn't mean that the picture will not be close to the standard in reality, even if I know that many might struggle with this concept. What it means is that it will not be as close to the standard as a calibration which is spot on at 100% sat and tracks perfectly at lower levels (an ideal rarely reached, even with excellent external VPs such as the Radiance), but it will be closer visually than a calibration that looks spot on at 100% sat (which is where the rec-709 calibrations are usually made) and is strongly undersaturated at 75% and below, which is unfortunately the case with the internal CMS since the rs50/rs60 when aiming for 100% of rec-709. The former gen (rs20-35) was not perfect, but the undersaturation wasn't as pronounced as it is on the new models (rs50-55). As far as I can see from these measurements, and both Gotchaa and Jonstatt seem to agree, it is about the same on the rs55 as it is on the rs50.

For those who calibrate, like last year, it means that you are unlikely to get a good calibration from any profile if you aim for rec-709 (so autocal with a non modifiable target gamut is unlikely to work well. It will show you perfect graphs and charts, but the picture itself, if you compare it with THX/standard, is likely to be quite undersaturated). The best compromise is to select a wide gamut (like stage or anime1), and aim for oversaturated targets at 100% sat (it doesn't matter if you are calibrating at 75% stim or 100% stim) in order to compensate for the undersaturation at 75% and below. Calman allows you to define a custom target gamut, so you can save the right targets once you have found them. I don't think Chromapure allows this (saving a target gamut) at this stage.

If you are not experienced enough to do that, you might able to get better results (by this I mean visually) when using a target gamut at 75% sat instead of 100% sat (the default). This is what Chromapure allows you to do when you select the 75% of rec-709 option as the target gamut. In Calman, you would have to define a custom gamut at 75% sat as I don't think the 75% sat option is there. The result is not as good as when you find the best compromise manually, but in my experience (on the rs50) it is better than when you calibrate at 100% sat, which is the default (whether you use the 75% stim or 100% stim patterns).

I have asked Gotchaa to confirm that the picture is visually undersaturated on his stage calibration when he targets rec-709. It should be as the undersaturation at 75% sat and below is as pronounced as it is on the X7 when doing the same.

Hopefully Gotchaa and others can confirm this (and confirm that the profiles=off doesn't track properly either), for the CMS saturation bug to be (un)officially confirmed as not fixed.

I attach three screenshots from Gotchaa's reports, one showing the way saturations track when stage is corrected at 100% sat with the internal CMS, and the other showing the way saturations track whith profiles = off (uncorrected), so native gamut. The last one shows saturations for standard/THX as a reference, to show that uncorrected profiles track almost perfectly (unfortunately, it's slightly undersaturated so uncorrectable). Of course there might be some unit to unit variations, so hopefully more users will confirm whether it is the same on their unit or not.

Thanks all for all the good investigation work!
LL
LL
LL
post #637 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Just to update those interested in this, Gotcha has kindly emailed me his results (pdfs too big to be attached), and I can confirm that stage doesn't track better regarding saturations than the profiles tested by Jonstatt. So it looks like the saturations bug is still there on all the profiles when CMS corrections are applied (all the profiles track perfectly when uncorrected).

It does look like Stage is a slightly better starting point than the ones I tried. According to that chart, if green saturtion is pulled in a bit, and red over-saturated at 100% a bit...you may get something that is really not too bad at all.
post #638 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

It does look like Stage is a slightly better starting point than the ones I tried. According to that chart, if green saturtion is pulled in a bit, and red over-saturated at 100% a bit...you may get something that is really not too bad at all.

Yes, apart from the weird wiggle on green at 75% and 50% sat. This is what I'm saying, you can find an acceptable compromise manually, but if you aim for 100 %of rec-709, the resulting calibration is likely to be undersaturated because of the strong undersaturation at 75% sat (especially on red) even if the graphs look perfect at 100% sat.

In my experience, stage on the rs50 was the best starting point.

I've added in the post above the saturations for standard/THX to show that they track almost perfectly with standard uncorrected.

One of you guys should start a calibration thread, as this is probably more technical info than most users are interested in.
post #639 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just got my press sample for a future review

post #640 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

post #641 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Kraine, is there any chance you could get your reviews professionally translated into English. The google translator does some really strange things!!

Could you clarify a point for me with your X30 review. When you used the 2D->3D conversion, did you get a lot of ghosting/crosstalk?
post #642 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kraine, is there any chance you could get your reviews professionally translated into English. The google translator does some really strange things!!

Could you clarify a point for me with your X30 review. When you used the 2D->3D conversion, did you get a lot of ghosting/crosstalk?

If somebody will take the charge of translate my review in english I totally agree but I don't have the time and the capacity to do it.

As you can see on my X30 review (3D pictures) there are almost no ghosting at all on the X30 and this is also valid for 2D/3D conversion. The ghosting correction mode is working fine.
post #643 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

If somebody will take the charge of translate my review in english I totally agree but I don't have the time and the capacity to do it.

As you can see on my X30 review (3D pictures) there are almost no ghosting at all on the X30 and this is also valid for 2D/3D conversion. The ghosting correction mode is working fine.

Interesting. The ghosting correction mode on the X70 is disabled when using 2D/3D conversion. I see quite a lot of ghosting as I put the intensity up to the highest levels.
post #644 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. The ghosting correction mode on the X70 is disabled when using 2D/3D conversion. I see quite a lot of ghosting as I put the intensity up to the highest levels.

You're right it's the 3D deep effect that it's only available on the 2D/3D conversion.
post #645 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Just to update those interested in this, Gotcha has kindly emailed me his results (pdfs too big to be attached), and I can confirm that stage doesn't track better regarding saturations than the profiles tested by Jonstatt. So it looks like the saturations bug is still there on all the profiles when CMS corrections are applied (standard/THX track almost perfectly when uncorrected).

Gotchaa hasn't had the time yet to try a calibration from profiles off, and might be able to do so over the week-end, but as profiles=off doesn't seem to be tracking properly uncorrected (undersaturated at 75% sat and below), it's very unlikely this will not get worse when a substantial amount of CMS correction is applied. It also makes it a not so great candidate as the starting point for a calibration with an external VP, which is bad news as it's narrower than in last year's models (which is good news). Also, as before, all the advanced controls (sharpness, CMD, color temp) are greyed off when profiles are switched off, which makes it very inconvenient.

For those who don't calibrate themselves, there is no need to panic, a good calibrator should find an acceptable compromise (they just won't be able to show you a nice looking report with all the targets spot on and a minimal dEs, unless they cheat!).

It doesn't mean that the picture will not be close to the standard in reality, even if I know that many might struggle with this concept. What it means is that it will not be as close to the standard as a calibration which is spot on at 100% sat and tracks perfectly at lower levels (an ideal rarely reached, even with excellent external VPs such as the Radiance), but it will be closer visually than a calibration that looks spot on at 100% sat (which is where the rec-709 calibrations are usually made) and is strongly undersaturated at 75% and below, which is unfortunately the case with the internal CMS since the rs50/rs60 when aiming for 100% of rec-709. The former gen (rs20-35) was not perfect, but the undersaturation wasn't as pronounced as it is on the new models (rs50-55). As far as I can see from these measurements, and both Gotchaa and Jonstatt seem to agree, it is about the same on the rs55 as it is on the rs50.

For those who calibrate, like last year, it means that you are unlikely to get a good calibration from any profile if you aim for rec-709 (so autocal with a non modifiable target gamut is unlikely to work well. It will show you perfect graphs and charts, but the picture itself, if you compare it with THX/standard, is likely to be quite undersaturated). The best compromise is to select a wide gamut (like stage or anime1), and aim for oversaturated targets at 100% sat (it doesn't matter if you are calibrating at 75% stim or 100% stim) in order to compensate for the undersaturation at 75% and below. Calman allows you to define a custom target gamut, so you can save the right targets once you have found them. I don't think Chromapure allows this (saving a target gamut) at this stage.

If you are not experienced enough to do that, you might able to get better results (by this I mean visually) when using a target gamut at 75% sat instead of 100% sat (the default). This is what Chromapure allows you to do when you select the 75% of rec-709 option as the target gamut. In Calman, you would have to define a custom gamut at 75% sat as I don't think the 75% sat option is there. The result is not as good as when you find the best compromise manually, but in my experience (on the rs50) it is better than when you calibrate at 100% sat, which is the default (whether you use the 75% stim or 100% stim patterns).

I have asked Gotchaa to confirm that the picture is visually undersaturated on his stage calibration when he targets rec-709. It should be as the undersaturation at 75% sat and below is as pronounced as it is on the X7 when doing the same.

Hopefully Gotchaa and others can confirm this (and confirm that the profiles=off doesn't track properly either), for the CMS saturation bug to be (un)officially confirmed as not fixed.

I attach three screenshots from Gotchaa's reports, one showing the way saturations track when stage is corrected at 100% sat with the internal CMS, and the other showing the way saturations track whith profiles = off (uncorrected), so native gamut. The last one shows saturations for standard/THX as a reference, to show that uncorrected profiles track almost perfectly (unfortunately, it's slightly undersaturated so uncorrectable). Of course there might be some unit to unit variations, so hopefully more users will confirm whether it is the same on their unit or not.

Thanks all for all the good investigation work!

This saturation tracking issue seems to be a common bug....The RS50 had it, some previous RS's had it, The RS55 apparently has it, and the Sony VW95 has it. It may be a judgement call to not even tinker with the CMS if the colors aren't too far off. Or, use an external VP like the Mini to fix the gamut....

As it appears now, the RS55 CMS is improved - but not 100% "fixed" - but the gamma/greyscale interaction is fixed.

Geof
post #646 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Has anyone been able to enjoy ANY 3D movie on ANY of the new JVC projectors? (RS45/55)? Or is this a complete wash-out?
post #647 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Here are some better shots of the AVS Disc Star Chart vs MPC Setting.
These are taken at a lower shutter speed and are not aliased. The pixel grid is not apparent for any MPC setting. Disregard the color shift. I had forgotten to correct for the "ceiling mount bug".

Wow. Those shots look pretty sweet! Very analog and natural looking.

Affable Nitwit
post #648 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

Wow. Those shots look pretty sweet! Very analog and natural looking.

I think I'm settling into the opinion that: MPC = PFM

I don't think the RS55 is "Major Jump" over the 50 but it's far more than a minor update. Even though this projector is not perfect (cms) the PQ is outstanding. I'm struggling to hold back praise because I'm still in the honeymoon phase but this looks like it could last much longer than the 1 year marriage I had with the 50....

Geof
post #649 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I'm settling into the opinion that: MPC = PFM

I don't think the RS55 is "Major Jump" over the 50 but it's far more than a minor update. Even though this projector is not perfect (cms) the PQ is outstanding. I'm struggling to hold back praise because I'm still in the honeymoon phase but this looks like it could last much longer than the 1 year marriage I had with the 50....

The RS50 that I had had terrible convergence and the usual other RS50 issues. I might have kept it if the convergence was good because it was better in some ways than my RS20.

Is it fair to say that the RS55 is an RS50 with with fixed gamma controls, MPC and maybe resolved lumens issue?

Am I missing some other improvement?

I am a well-known 3D hater so I could care less about that.

Affable Nitwit
post #650 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The RS50 that I had had terrible convergence and the usual other RS50 issues. I might have kept it if the convergence was good because it was better in some ways than my RS20.

Is it fair to say that the RS55 is an RS50 with with fixed gamma controls, MPC and maybe resolved lumens issue?

I would say lumens issue is definitely resolved from absolute max to calibrated D65. As for bulb dimming, we will know in about 3 months!
post #651 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I think that may be a fair account but I do agree with Jonathan that the lumens issue is resolved. I made a quick 1 point lux measurement last evening and it equated to 936 lumens. This was with the Standard color profile and my throw ratio is 1.6. Unfortunately I do not have a similar data point for the 50 as I didn't have a light meter until it had several hundred hours on it but this projector is definitely brighter. I think the real news here, for me, is eshift. Like I said before I am still honeymooning but I do think it's the headliner this year and with good reason from what I see. It'll be interesting to see what folks like Rich and Kevin have to say on the matter.

Geof
post #652 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

...For those who don't calibrate themselves, there is no need to panic, a good calibrator should find an acceptable compromise (they just won't be able to show you a nice looking report with all the targets spot on and a minimal dEs, unless they cheat!)...

Unless something has changed significantly with regards to the native color profile and CMS tracking of the RS55 compared to the RS20 then I would not be so sure an acceptable compromise is an option. I guess it depends on how one defines "acceptable" in this case.

As you know I spent a huge amount of time experimenting with the CMS on the RS20 years ago in search of a gamut and calibration that would provide a reasonable compromise. What I came up with seemed like a decent solution - until I saw what the RS20 looks like with a properly working CMS from a Radiance.

When I bought my VW95 I also picked up a Radiance XS to use with it. To get it prepared for my A/B test against the VW95, I disabled the CMS in the RS20 and used the CMS in the Radiance to dial it in. I was really surprised to see how under saturated my compromise CMS in the RS20 was in comparison. So what I thought to be an acceptable compromise turned out with hindsight not to be.

All that said, of course this may not apply to the current (latest) gen JVC projectors if their starting point for the native gamut is much improved.

Speaking of which - has anyone posted what the gamut measures in the best OOTB color mode and what the dE is of each color? If so can you point me to it?
post #653 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I think that may be a fair account but I do agree with Jonathan that the lumens issue is resolved. I made a quick 1 point lux measurement last evening and it equated to 936 lumens. This was with the Standard color profile and my throw ratio is 1.6. Unfortunately I do not have a similar data point for the 50 as I didn't have a light meter until it had several hundred hours on it but this projector is definitely brighter. I think the real news here, for me, is eshift. Like I said before I am still honeymooning but I do think it's the headliner this year and with good reason from what I see. It'll be interesting to see what folks like Rich and Kevin have to say on the matter.

When you say 936 lumens in the standard color profile, does that mean it is at D65 with a dE of 3 or less at 100%? If not, what does it measure under that condition? For this unit what does a throw ratio of 1.6 work out to - short, mid or long throw? Thanks.
post #654 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

My guess is that the CMS on the RS55 (and RS50) does not work properly because none of the color profiles are linear. So, the issue is not really the CMS.

My guess is that each of the profiles tries to keep skin colors and other specific inside the triangle colors close to where they should be so that we aren't horrified by the way these colors look. What JVC does is spread out the colors that are closer to the outside of the triange in varying degrees so that we can see more saturated colors at times.

So, when the CMS tries to correct a non-linear color profile, only the colors on the triangle are corrected. Everything inside the triangle becomes undersaturated to one degree or another.

So, we don't need the CMS to be fixed, we need an oversaturated color profile that is completely linear.

I am not sure if this hypothesis has been tested and ruled out or confirmed.

Affable Nitwit
post #655 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My guess is that the CMS on the RS55 (and RS50) does not work properly because none of the color profiles are linear. So, the issue is not really the CMS.

My guess is that each of the profiles tries to keep skin colors and other specific inside the triangle colors close to where they should be so that we aren't horrified by the way these colors look. What JVC does is spread out the colors that are closer to the outside of the triange in varying degrees so that we can see more saturated colors at times.

So, when the CMS tries to correct a non-linear color profile, only the colors on the triangle are corrected. Everything inside the triangle becomes undersaturated to one degree or another.

So, we don't need the CMS to be fixed, we need an oversaturated color profile that is completely linear.

I am not sure if this hypothesis has been tested and ruled out or confirmed.

I believe you are bang-on with your theory. This is why I said before, all JVC needed to do was to supply out of the box "Standard" profile being a little less accurate and a touch over-saturated. This would have provided the required wiggle room. I know they wanted to provide a super close out of the box experience, but just a touch over-saturated wouldn't have made that much visual difference, but allowed us to have the adjustment space we need.
post #656 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you say 936 lumens in the standard color profile, does that mean it is at D65 with a dE of 3 or less at 100%? If not, what does it measure under that condition? For this unit what does a throw ratio of 1.6 work out to - short, mid or long throw? Thanks.

1.4 is the shortest throw, so its pretty near the short throw end.
post #657 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1.4 is the shortest throw, so its pretty near the short throw end.

And is this at D65 with a dE of 3 or less? Some folks have posted numbers in brighter pj modes that are not used for normal viewing so I am trying to understand if we are comparing apples to apples here. And also is this in high lamp?
post #658 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjj11 View Post

Hello. Just installed new JVC X70. Use with Oppo 93 player.

Impressed 2D picture quality - reference contrast & black levels.

But in 3D mode picture don't look very bright. In dark scenes (such as Resident Evil 3D) I really need more brightness.

I use Stewart FireHawk G3 100' screens. My last projector (upgraded it to X70) was Sony VPL-VW90. Many people said that Sony VPL-WV90 is insufficiently bright in 3D.
But, in special calibration mode (found settings on this forum, changed color gain) and with Xpand x103 glasses, Sony VPL-WV90 looks normal for me on my screen in 3D.

So, I upgraded Sony to JVC and found that in 3D mode calibrated Sony VPL-VW90 as bright as JVC X70! JVC perhaps even darker...
Yes, I can't use Xpand x103 glasses with JVC & I use JVC rechargeable glasses.

Bulb life - 3 hours.

My question is - I have too many hopes on the brightness of JVC? Or I need to change my projector? Or this is a special calibration which will increase the brightness? Now I use 3D settings on JVC & User 1 settings (3D color, gamma A, contrast -5, brightness +2, color temp 7500).

Please, tell me your settings for JVC in 3D mode.
Many thanks for help.

I want to see if I am understanding this correctly. Are you saying that the 3D in the VW90 is brighter than the RS55? I'm not sure how that could be possible, as the VW90 was known for having dim 3D (that was the biggest complaint with it from what I can gather).

I know that the VW95 is plenty bright in 3D and with still using D65 (no raised color temp) and given the RS55 is a seemingly brighter pj I would expect the same from it and without having to raise the CT.
post #659 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And is this at D65 with a dE of 3 or less? Some folks have posted numbers in brighter pj modes that are not used for normal viewing so I am trying to understand if we are comparing apples to apples here. And also is this in high lamp?

Well just after switching on the projector probably close to D65. But as you know red will drop off a bit in the opening hours of bulb use. So it all depends on what hours you start quoting from. I would allow a 10% drop from that number Geoff gave as a realistic number after a run-in of 50 hours or so for D65.
post #660 of 3675 Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well just after switching on the projector probably close to D65. But as you know red will drop off a bit in the opening hours of bulb use. So it all depends on what hours you start quoting from. I would allow a 10% drop from that number Geoff gave as a realistic number after a run-in of 50 hours or so for D65.

I assume high lamp. That's certainly impressive. I guess the next hurdle is making sure there is not a rapid falloff at some point early to mid age of the bulb as before, but I think someone has already organized a project to tract it so that's good.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page