Official JVC RS55/X70 owners thread. - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I thought the RS55 could be firmware updated via the LAN? Seems like this was advertised. What's up with this? SJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

I thought the RS55 could be firmware updated via the LAN? Seems like this was advertised. What's up with this? SJ

This is not a typical firmware update. I'm reasonably confident this update is why JVC delayed the release of the 55's a couple of days - so they could do it. I suspect most (if not all) US machines already have this update.

Geof
post #1503 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wanted to do more observing before posting again. After watching many movies from 3 different sources, I am finding that the motion issue is not too distracting when watching Directv (1080i 60hz) movies and those from my mac (1080p 24fps). When playing blurry movies from my Oppo, I do see the problem however. Not as bad as the first bad culprits: Toy Story 2, Munsil test disc, but still noticeable. Inception had it and last night The Departed had some juddering on a few camera pans. I'm wondering if there is an incompatibility with the Oppo and the new software on the RS55??

Silence is overrated!
post #1504 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

This is not a typical firmware update. I'm reasonably confident this update is why JVC delayed the release of the 55's a couple of days - so they could do it. I suspect most (if not all) US machines already have this update.

So, the firmware update currently available has to be done via a serial cable and later ones will be able to use the LAN connection and maybe even be able to update directly over the Internet? SJ
post #1505 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

So, the firmware update currently available has to be done via a serial cable and later ones will be able to use the LAN connection and maybe even be able to update directly over the Internet? SJ

The existing update is in a category by itself. It requires a serial (232) connection.

Any other updates haven't been released. Last year they were done via USB. And there was an issue with 64 Bit OS's. I think this year they are going to a LAN based update to get around any 64 bit driver concerns. But I doubt this will be doable over the net and I expect we'll have to use a PC - regardless of whether the updates are USB based or LAN based.

Geof
post #1506 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I would like to know, how much JVC has provided FW updates in the past, say for the X7?

Cause in my decision to a brand that's another interesting point for me.
Crrent projectors have lots of processors and SW, and I believe that some issues only will be figured out later in the field use. The problem is - not all manufacturers offer firmware updates to annoying bugs, or if, the device has to be send in to be updated by service personnel. At least for the last point I'm really happy that FW updates (now) basically can be done at home.

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #1507 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post

I would like to know, how much JVC has provided FW updates in the past, say for the X7?

I don't specifically recall exactly how many updates there were for the X7 but it was 3-4 I think.

Geof
post #1508 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Yes exactly...we keep around in circles regarding this update as people re-discover it and post a few forum pages later. It is NOT a firmware update. It is a colour profile update, and if you note in the release notes, a small number of RS50/X70s seem to have escaped without the correct colour profiles. JVC in local countries caught it fairly quickly and updated most themselves. It is probably just a handful that escaped globally. It should be very obvious if the problem exists because things will look totally wrong in certain presets like Film.

Any real firmware updates will be certainly via USB just as they were with the X7/50....not sure about LAN. Updating firmware via USB was easy and hassle free other than the fact it only worked from 32-bit version of the Windows.
post #1509 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Yes exactly...we keep around in circles regarding this update as people re-discover it and post a few forum pages later. It is NOT a firmware update. It is a colour profile update, and if you note in the release notes, a small number of RS50/X70s seem to have escaped without the correct colour profiles. JVC in local countries caught it fairly quickly and updated most themselves. It is probably just a handful that escaped globally. It should be very obvious if the problem exists because things will look totally wrong in certain presets like Film.

Any real firmware updates will be certainly via USB just as they were with the X7/50....not sure about LAN. Updating firmware via USB was easy and hassle free other than the fact it only worked from 32-bit version of the Windows.

IIRC Gary B mentioned he had gotten the LAN update software for testing. I think his post is on page 3 of the X30/70/90 thread.

Geof
post #1510 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:

Sorry Jon I didn't remember this already being discussed. I noted the dates and serial numbers affected which mine was within (I assumed yours and Geof's too since you got yours B4 mine), and based on me getting my machine's delivery first week in Dec. I assumed it was probable we did not receive it (or at least a possibility).

I just took my Denon 5308ci in for the 3D / XT32 upgrade so I'm out of commission this week in the theater.

Geoff - Can you check your screen setting for the black screen? If yours is okay then I know mine is to. Also I looked at the 50 support page and it only shows 1 update all year (I only did 1 update this year).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #1511 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post

Cause in my decision to a brand that's another interesting point for me.
Crrent projectors have lots of processors and SW, and I believe that some issues only will be figured out later in the field use. The problem is - not all manufacturers offer firmware updates to annoying bugs, or if, the device has to be send in to be updated by service personnel. At least for the last point I'm really happy that FW updates (now) basically can be done at home.

Maybe some of the more long term multi-PJ JVC owners can comment but with all the issues we had w/ the RS50 last year I wouldn't exactly say I was impressed with their correction methodologies.

Kevin

post #1512 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Sorry Jon I didn't remember this already being discussed. I noted the dates a serial numbers affected which mine was within (I assumed yours and Geof's too since you got yours B4 mine), and based on me getting my machine's delivery first week in Dec. I assumed it was probable we did not receive it (or at least a possibility).

I just took my Denon 5308ci in for the 3D / XT32 upgrade so I'm out of commission this week in the theater.

Geoff - Can you check your screen setting for the black screen? f yours is okay then I know mine is to? Also I looked at the 50 support page and it only shows 1 update all year (I only did 1 update this year).

I will look tonight but I'm sure it's there....(gulp, that'll come back to bite me in the ass)....I also checked the 50 download page and all they list is version 1.5 but there were updates prior to that.

I'm actually surprised we haven't see a fix for ceiling mount uniformity bug. Maybe they are waiting until the LAN updater software is ready....

Geof
post #1513 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe some of the more long term multi-PJ JVC owners can comment but with all the issues we had w/ the RS50 last year I wouldn't exactly say I was impressed with their correction methodologies.

Tactful.....

Geof
post #1514 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tactful.....

Tryin' (owe them at least that)!

Kevin

post #1515 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Sorry Jon I didn't remember this already being discussed. I noted the dates a serial numbers affected which mine was within (I assumed yours and Geof's too since you got yours B4 mine), and based on me getting my machine's delivery first week in Dec. I assumed it was probable we did not receive it (or at least a possibility).

Geoff - Can you check your screen setting for the black screen? f yours is okay then I know mine is to? Also I looked at the 50 support page and it only shows 1 update all year (I only did 1 update this year).

I think it got discussed when JVC Canada published it first, but absolutely no need to apologise. I just didn't want people struggling to figure out a serial connection if they didn't need to...because that isn't easy for most of us! Mine is in the serial number range but I have been assured that my unit was already updated.
post #1516 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I think it got discussed when JVC Canada published it first, but absolutely no need to apologise. I just didn't want people struggling to figure out a serial connection if they didn't need to...because that isn't easy for most of us! Mine is in the serial number range but I have been assured that my unit was already updated.

Mine was also within the same range, and mine was also supposed to be updated. I also tested this because according to the "bug report", I should get a blank screen if I use screen adjustment 123 or something like that. For me, I do not have that issue so I just assumed mine was already updated.
I did try the USB to serial adpater but it failed to detect it. That adapter works for me updating DUO and Lumagen, so at least I know it is good..
post #1517 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Mine was also within the same range, and mine was also supposed to be updated. I also tested this because according to the "bug report", I should get a blank screen if I use screen adjustment 123 or something like that. For me, I do not have that issue so I just assumed mine was already updated.
I did try the USB to serial adpater but it failed to detect it. That adapter works for me updating DUO and Lumagen, so at least I know it is good..

It is fair to say those that have the same firmware revision that Kevin posted is fine, JVC US confirmed that is the latest revision update.

There has not been a standard firmware release update yet this year that we are all use to for these models. We can expect both standard USB and possibly LAN in the near future for the regular updates JVC provides. They do not release firmware updates regularly, I would say JVC is quite conservative only providing updates for critical issues like HDMI handshake issues or CMS, we will be lucky to see 2 revisions, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

We are hoping to have an update to address 3D controls, and the reported Projector mount setting, short of that I do not think anything else has been suggested or expected, I expect this to be a USB type firmware update.
post #1518 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 228
For those with a convergence error... last year I had an RS60 for quite some time. It had about 1/2 pixel offset in green in 2 directions so, say the top and right sides had a slight green fringe while the bottom and left sides had a slight magenta fringe. This was consistent whether warmed-up or cold. Projector was right side up on a high rack shelf.

The original lamp in that projector acted odd at times... starting with a very distinct overall magenta color that would fade during the first 15 minutes of use. But sometimes it would start without the heavy magenta color. At 1100 hours, that lamp blew up while the projector was being used... the picture got dim rather quickly and before I could figure out what was going on, the lamp blew up with a pop sound.

When the lamp was replaced, the convergence error was gone! Seriously... there was NO misalignment of ANYTHING after the lamp was replaced. I was dumbfounded. I have no explanation of how that could POSSIBLY happen, but it was quite obvious.

So, to solve your convergence issue, there might be 2 possible solutions:
1) Remove and reinstall your lamp
2) Hope your lamp blows up and knocks everything back into alignment (yes, sarcasm, irony, etc.)

Just an observation that may help somebody... or not.

RS65 here for review now... will be doing full before/after cal measurements and will also see if Radiance XE-3D can make any worthwhile improvements.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX -- ISF -- HAA
post #1519 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

For those with a convergence error... last year I had an RS60 for quite some time. It had about 1/2 pixel offset in green in 2 directions so, say the top and right sides had a slight green fringe while the bottom and left sides had a slight magenta fringe. This was consistent whether warmed-up or cold. Projector was right side up on a high rack shelf.

The original lamp in that projector acted odd at times... starting with a very distinct overall magenta color that would fade during the first 15 minutes of use. But sometimes it would start without the heavy magenta color. At 1100 hours, that lamp blew up while the projector was being used... the picture got dim rather quickly and before I could figure out what was going on, the lamp blew up with a pop sound.

When the lamp was replaced, the convergence error was gone! Seriously... there was NO misalignment of ANYTHING after the lamp was replaced. I was dumbfounded. I have no explanation of how that could POSSIBLY happen, but it was quite obvious.

2) Hope your lamp blows up and knocks everything back into alignment (yes, sarcasm, irony, etc.)

RS65 here for review now... will be doing full before/after cal measurements and will also see if Radiance XE-3D can make any worthwhile improvements.

I'll be interested to see if you can fully correct blue as I could not get there....(my Chromapure reports are on the previous page in this thread).

Geof
post #1520 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 04:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Can't wait to read this!
post #1521 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaofDoom View Post

Can't wait to read this!

+1! Doug is very thorough in his reviews; fair but tells it like it is!

Kevin

post #1522 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

It is fair to say those that have the same firmware revision that Kevin posted is fine, JVC US confirmed that is the latest revision update.

There has not been a standard firmware release update yet this year that we are all use to for these models. We can expect both standard USB and possibly LAN in the near future for the regular updates JVC provides. They do not release firmware updates regularly, I would say JVC is quite conservative only providing updates for critical issues like HDMI handshake issues or CMS, we will be lucky to see 2 revisions, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

We are hoping to have an update to address 3D controls, and the reported Projector mount setting, short of that I do not think anything else has been suggested or expected, I expect this to be a USB type firmware update.

Thanks for the confirmation broheem (and by 3D controls I hope you mean controlling the ghosting!... watched Kung Fu Panda 1 last night... ba-ru-tal!)

Kevin

post #1523 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 PM

When you say Brutal, is that in a good way or bad way when it comes to ghosting?
post #1524 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm94 View Post

When you say Brutal, is that in a good way or bad way when it comes to ghosting?

Very bad ghosting and as Todd mentioned the Parralux controls didn't help. However on the good side... the brightness, contrast and color have all improved significantly from last years 50 and some of the 3D scenes on the JVC are just jaw dropping (just wish for no ghosting).

Kevin

post #1525 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some one earlier in this post stated that a buyer of a RS55 should not complain about poor 3D when the JVC's are known to have issues. I wouldn't want to be accused of a similar situation when considering this unit when I should have known about an apparent issue JVC pj's have had with their lamps. I've read that there has been some sort of problem(s), but can't pin down what. Can some one elaborate please?
post #1526 of 3719 Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Maybe firmware upgrade will help to solve this ghosting dilemma. If not, what DLP projector would work best for gaming,sports,and 3D? Hate to use 2pj's but motion control leaves a lot to be desired along with ghosting issues.
post #1527 of 3719 Old 01-03-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

Some one earlier in this post stated that a buyer of a RS55 should not complain about poor 3D when the JVC's are known to have issues. I wouldn't want to be accused of a similar situation when considering this unit when I should have known about an apparent issue JVC pj's have had with their lamps. I've read that there has been some sort of problem(s), but can't pin down what. Can some one elaborate please?

The 3D is not poor, its just the technology used. It's not a DLP, so don't expect ghost free 3D and the panels are only 120hz. The lamp issues were last year and not everyone had these problems. No one knows if its a problem anymore or if it still exist
post #1528 of 3719 Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Blee, how many hours you have on your rs55 already?
post #1529 of 3719 Old 01-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Doug that is great that you will have a 65, I will be working on the 55 with XE this weekend with about 125hrs on the lamp. It will be interesting to see where we both end up with measurements and settings.
post #1530 of 3719 Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:

I don't specifically recall exactly how many updates there were for the X7 but it was 3-4 I think.

Thank's Geof.
For me that sound's good.

_________
Regards,
Harry
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page