post #181 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

I was unaware of these issues just like most were since I purchased it early and no one had more then 50 hours at the time.

Jvc advertised certain thing such as bulb life 3000 hours on low and 2000 on high,and 3d.

So far I haven't heard anyone say around 1000 hours and 3d barley has any ghosting. Which makes 3d useless advertised feature.

On my X7, at 520 hours on the bulb, I still measure over 1050 lumens output AND the ghosting has not changed one iota since I got the X7 from new. I know others have had issues, but for these specific aspects, I have a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I got an RS40 with bad convergence, and then its lamp exploded, and that still wasn't enough to wreck it for me. My replacement RS40 has near perfect convergence, but the first lamp pooped out at about 800 hours. And I'm still in love. That's how hooked I am. (So far, the new lamp is going strong. Fingers are crossed.)

It would be hard for me to leave JVC too (currently own RS20). But I am carefully considering the new Sony 95. Just have some concerns (black level, fan noise, shading/color uniformity).
post #183 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've been following the various VW95ES threads on here and elsewhere, but the thing that put me off is that the black level doesn't seem any better than an RS40 which seems dissapointing to me. I know we should ignore manufacturer's claims but 150,000:1 (dynamic) on/off with a LCOS I would have expected better blacks than some are reporting. Perhaps the native is no more than an RS40...

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #184 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

I guess that people can disagree but I think that when dealers pull units from customers and the launch is delayed over a firmware issue that there is some evidence that the launch is not going smoothly.

Per what we were told and have told all of our customers, we have not gotten to the launch date.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #185 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Per what we were told and have told all of our customers, we have not gotten to the launch date.

Yeah. It's not AVS's fault.

Affable Nitwit
post #186 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen View Post

I am a Sony SXRD owner and purchased in Jan 2007 when the "green blob" issue was well know. I purchased with the full knowledge that the SXRD would almost certainly fail and was prepared to put up with that eventuality because the TV offered the size and performance I required. To cover potential out of pocket expense I purchased a 5 year extended warranty.

4 years later the inevitable happened and my SXRD was struck with the dreaded "green blob", rather than make a fuss about it on forums, which would have been pointless as the issue had been disused to death for 5 years and the only solution was a new light engine. I simply called on my extended warranty and got the TV repaired, (a job that cost the warranty insurer $2000) and moved on. I don't blame Sony for selling me a product with a known fault, I knew about it before purchase, chose to accept the risk and have never regretted the decision.

As for my X3, I knew about the second rate 3D performance and lamp issues before purchase and freely chose to accept them as they did not worry me because in other respects the projector did what I wanted it to do. I never expected these issues to be fixed and if the lamp failed I would likely be up for a new lamp at my expense.

I feel sympathy for those people who are affected by 3D, CMS or lamp problems and where genuinely unaware of these potential issues before purchase, however for those who purchase with full knowledge and then complain when they get what they should have expected, well that's a different story.

Dec. 2006 purchase for my SXRD TV. Mine is heavily used and no green blob issue yet.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #187 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

That's why I intend to hold off until JVC release new models with a completely new light engine, probably in 2012-2013.

I would have done the same except I was able to move from a 40 to a 45 for less than the cost of a new bulb which made it a no brainer.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #188 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

I was unaware of these issues just like most were since I purchased it early and no one had more then 50 hours at the time.

Jvc advertised certain thing such as bulb life 3000 hours on low and 2000 on high,and 3d.

So far I haven't heard anyone say around 1000 hours and 3d barley has any ghosting. Which makes 3d useless advertised feature.

Exactly. I was one of the early RS40 owners before ANY of these issues were known. Had I known before hand that the 3d would become useless relatively early on in the life of the lamp, I would probably have just looked for a used RS10/15. After owning the 40 though, the 2d alone is worth the price of admission, but that is no excuse for the 3d issues. Its important to bring up and discuss these problems since contrary to what some may think, this can have a big impact on working towards a fix/improvement. There are MANY examples of this at AVS and elsewhere.

post #189 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Exactly. I was one of the early RS40 owners before ANY of these issues were known. Had I known before hand that the 3d would become useless relatively early on in the life of the lamp, I would probably have just looked for a used RS10/15. After owning the 40 though, the 2d alone is worth the price of admission, but that is no excuse for the 3d issues. Its important to bring up and discuss these problems since contrary to what some may think, this can have a big impact on working towards a fix/improvement. There are MANY examples of this at AVS and elsewhere.

same for the 50/60 owners, there were no early reviews so it wasn't until jon and mannie started digging into the controls when it was discovered the CMS and Gamma weren't right, then the lumens being less than the RS40, etc.

it's a shame JVC didn't do more to help the 50/60 owners who spent all that $$ with marketing fair that didn't exactly end up as advertised. Folks should understand why previous owners are cautiously optimistic for the new models.

things that we can know right away:

Lumens @ D65, color profile = off, Gamma/CMS working, ghosting @ cold boot and 30 mins later.

things that are going to take a while:

early lamp failure, permanent ghosting after xxx hours.

post #190 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

same for the 50/60 owners, there were no early reviews so it wasn't until jon and mannie started digging into the controls when it was discovered the CMS and Gamma weren't right, then the lumens being less than the RS40, etc.

it's a shame JVC didn't do more to help the 50/60 owners who spent all that $$ with marketing fair that didn't exactly end up as advertised. Folks should understand why previous owners are cautiously optimistic for the new models.

things that we can know right away:

Lumens @ D65, color profile = off, Gamma/CMS working, ghosting @ cold boot and 30 mins later.

things that are going to take a while:

early lamp failure, permanent ghosting after xxx hours.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see some numbers as people get these units. We already have confirmation from a few users that the "warm up time" is still present unfortunately. Of course the Panny has been reported to have this warm up time as well so this is not exclusive to JVC (still sucks though!).

post #191 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

I was planning on purchasing a 3D projector, but it's clear from recent posts that both the new JVCs (X70/RS55), and the Sony 95 - ghost in 3D, and that their 2D-3D conversion is worthless. So, I'm not going to spend my 'toy' cash ($7K) on 3D this year.

I would however, spend the money for an X70/RS55 or a 95, if the projector matched a plasma in 2D. From reading Conan's post, I got the impression that if I purchased an X70 or an RS55 - I would, in effect, have a 159" plasma in my HT.

The blacks and the CR of my 8700UB in my true bat cave, with my 159" 2.8 HP, looked very good to me - until I compared it to a Panny plasma, that is.

I put a 42" Panny plasma that I'd purchased for my granddaughter's birthday in my HT room, and hooked-up an HD TiVo to the 8700UB, and another HD TiVo to the plasma so that I could compare the PQ of the displays in real time.

The difference between the PQ of the 8700UB and the plasma STUNNED me. Sadly, I'm not a 1%er. I'm a 99%er. So, no SIM2 DLP for me.

Maybe next year there will be a 3D projector for me with the PQ of a plasma.

If you want a huge plasma looking picture on a projector screen, you will get ALOT closer with the Sony 95ES than you will with the "murky" look of a JVC...Trust me... I had the RS-40 and a few other JVC's but they don't have that, "flat panel" pop that the Sony has. My screen is 150". My wife usually doesn't notice any differences in projectors (much to my dismay) but after watching the RS-40 for 1 year and then watching the new Sony 95ES she immediately noticed the colors and pop of the new Sony. And in case you are thinking that the bulb was old in the JVC?...Nope!...I had just put in a brand new bulb in the JVC. I sold the JVC on Amazon, and will stick with Sony from here on out.

Chuck
post #192 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I am a Sony SXRD owner and purchased in Jan 2007 when the "green blob" issue was well know. I purchased with the full knowledge that the SXRD would almost certainly fail and was prepared to put up with that eventuality because the TV offered the size and performance I required. To cover potential out of pocket expense I purchased a 5 year extended warranty.

4 years later the inevitable happened and my SXRD was struck with the dreaded "green blob", rather than make a fuss about it on forums, which would have been pointless as the issue had been disused to death for 5 years and the only solution was a new light engine. I simply called on my extended warranty and got the TV repaired, (a job that cost the warranty insurer $2000) and moved on. I don't blame Sony for selling me a product with a known fault, I knew about it before purchase, chose to accept the risk and have never regretted the decision.

As for my X3, I knew about the second rate 3D performance and lamp issues before purchase and freely chose to accept them as they did not worry me because in other respects the projector did what I wanted it to do. I never expected these issues to be fixed and if the lamp failed I would likely be up for a new lamp at my expense.

I feel sympathy for those people who are affected by 3D, CMS or lamp problems and where genuinely unaware of these potential issues before purchase, however for those who purchase with full knowledge and then complain when they get what they should have expected, well that's a different story.

Your logic makes sense Owen but none of us really know what to expect. A number of people complain on here but none of us really know what percentage of owners have issues. People who dom't have issues typically don't speak up. Yes it's a risk and going in we know there are potential problems but without enough data there's really know way of knowing what the chances are.

In any event for me the RS45 is the best choice for price/performance and like you contrast is at the top of my list for wants and I will take my chances. My main worry is the bulb life and personally if I have problems I won't see issues until later as I still have less than 600hrs on my RS2 clone and if the bulb blew now I wouldn't be upset as I've had 2.5 years of fantastic viewing.
post #193 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Agreed. It will be interesting to see some numbers as people get these units. We already have confirmation from a few users that the "warm up time" is still present unfortunately. Of course the Panny has been reported to have this warm up time as well so this is not exclusive to JVC (still sucks though!).

i'd like to know the mechanics of the warm up time / ghosting reduction. I don't see this on the HW30. This is why I wanted to see the 3D L/R patterns on Conan's machine (and hopefully Jonstatt this week) on a cold boot and then 30 minutes later. If the warm up time is still there, then there is a chance the ghosting after xxx hours on the lamp could remain in this generation.

post #194 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

If you want a huge plasma looking picture on a projector screen, you will get ALOT closer with the Sony 95ES than you will with the "murky" look of a JVC...Trust me... I had the RS-40 and a few other JVC's but they don't have that, "flat panel" pop that the Sony has. My screen is 150". My wife usually doesn't notice any differences in projectors (much to my dismay) but after watching the RS-40 for 1 year and then watching the new Sony 95ES she immediately noticed the colors and pop of the new Sony. And in case you are thinking that the bulb was old in the JVC?...Nope!...I had just put in a brand new bulb in the JVC. I sold the JVC on Amazon, and will stick with Sony from here on out.

Chuck

There he is! Whazz up bruvah!!??

The band is almost complete... (I call dibs on drums since Chuck is quitting the band!)

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #195 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

For those that may not frequent the video processor forums: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1375032 Nice upgrade with any projector.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #196 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

For those that may not frequent the video processor forums: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1375032 Nice upgrade with any projector.

That sticky is in this forum as well.....

It's very nice deal on a great VP!

Geof
post #197 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:

I would have done the same except I was able to move from a 40 to a 45 for less than the cost of a new bulb which made it a no brainer.

I'm in the same situation/mindset as you Todd. I got a decent deal on my 50 and with the great deal from AVS on the RS55 it made my decision a no brainer (even if some of the problems from last year are not fully corrected).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #198 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I'm in the same situation/mindset as you Todd. I got a decent deal on my 50 and with the great deal from AVS on the RS55 it made my decision a no brainer (even if some of the problems from last year are not fully corrected).

As our band grows older, we are getting wiser as well Sounds like we are figuring out the best way to work with the projector market. Selling every year or so in conjunction with getting on the pre-order makes more sense since you can get more for your projector and the new models just seem to get better and cheaper at the same time. I ran my RS1 resale value into the ground and looking back, that was a mistake. I think we are figuring all this out!

Oh, has anyone called guitar yet as far as the band goes?

post #199 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Chuck

I think the "plasma look" is great for watching HDTV programs and sports, which the Sony 95 excels in, however I'm mostly interested in watching Blu-ray movies and the JVCs do have that "film-like look" to them...more so than the Sony 95 I would think. From what it seems so far, the RS55 would be the winner for movies (2D) and the Sony 95 the winner for sports, HDTV programs, and probably 3D. The JVC would be no slouch on those other departments either. For me, 2D movie watching will be the most important, which means the JVC RS55 would be the best fit. I still need to hear from other RS55 owners though until I can make a decision.
post #200 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

That sticky is in this forum as well.....

It's very nice deal on a great VP!

My bad. I knew about the deal and just naturally went to the video component section to copy and paste a link. Did not even think to look at the top of this section.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #201 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

How much is the JVC bulb cost? I run about 500hrs a year, so it is not a not. If the bulb can last for say 1000 hrs, that's 2 years and if bulb is like $300, it is not too bad for a $150 "upgrade' per year... Oh, and I plan to run on LOW lamp to increase contrast..
post #202 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Running in low lamp won't increase contrast per se. If anything it will be lower as you'll need to open the iris more to get enough brightness. It all depends on your screen size and gain of course. If you can close the iris down and run in low lamp (eco) then you'll get the best of both worlds. On the older RS20/10 models opening the iris gave higher ANSI contrast though lower on/off so it's still a trade off: The dual iris of the RS50/55 models was designed to help regarding this, but it all depends on there being enough brightness to play with if the 'new' lamp and dychroics do what we hope.

post #203 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

How much is the JVC bulb cost? I run about 500hrs a year, so it is not a not. If the bulb can last for say 1000 hrs, that's 2 years and if bulb is like $300, it is not too bad for a $150 "upgrade' per year... Oh, and I plan to run on LOW lamp to increase contrast..

From JVC it's 499. If you google, you can usually find a store coupon that will bring the cost down.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #204 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

I think the "plasma look" is great for watching HDTV programs and sports, which the Sony 95 excels in, however I'm mostly interested in watching Blu-ray movies and the JVCs do have that "film-like look" to them...more so than the Sony 95 I would think. From what it seems so far, the RS55 would be the winner for movies (2D) and the Sony 95 the winner for sports, HDTV programs, and probably 3D. The JVC would be no slouch on those other departments either. For me, 2D movie watching will be the most important, which means the JVC RS55 would be the best fit. I still need to hear from other RS55 owners though until I can make a decision.

I agree with you and dogone. I saw the HW30 at Magnolia and the colors were popping like crazy, with great blacks and contrast and bright like a giant plasma tv. I saw the JVC as well, the colors were more muted and flat (less saturated) but very film-like; more appropriate for 2D movie watching.
post #205 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Running in low lamp won't increase contrast per se. If anything it will be lower as you'll need to open the iris more to get enough brightness. It all depends on your screen size and gain of course. If you can close the iris down and run in low lamp (eco) then you'll get the best of both worlds. On the older RS20/10 models opening the iris gave higher ANSI contrast though lower on/off so it's still a trade off: The dual iris of the RS50/55 models was designed to help regarding this, but it all depends on there being enough brightness to play with if the 'new' lamp and dychroics do what we hope.

Thanks. I have a Seymour so it is close to neutral gain. I guess I will need to run in HIGH lamp as I plan to do zoom on 120 wide 2.35:1 screen... The only issue I might have is the fan noise on high, as it will be mounted only about 2-3 ft just behind me.
post #206 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You might get away with it when the lamp is newer. Also if you are nearer the short throw end of the projector (so applying more zoom) then the image tends to be brighter. For example my current HD350 is at minimum zoom long throw so my iris is opened up a little over half, in normal lamp (the higher of the two settings) but my screen is 1.5 gain and slightly narrower than yours at 112" plus I have a lens. I can hit 12-14fL even after 200 hours on the new lamp (first one dimmed a bit after 700 hours), a shortest throw setup may well add upto 40% more brightness for comparison.

It depends on taste but you might find you're happy with less than I'm currently getting, plus it is possible that the X70/RS55 is brighter after calibration than my HD350 (even if they both had new lamps), so you may have more in hand than me.

post #207 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I agree with you and dogone. I saw the HW30 at Magnolia and the colors were popping like crazy, with great blacks and contrast and bright like a giant plasma tv. I saw the JVC as well, the colors were more muted and flat (less saturated) but very film-like; more appropriate for 2D movie watching.

I take it neither were calibrated then? Both machines should be calibrated and producing the same light output for a truly fair comparison.

Geof
post #208 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I need a video processor probably.

But between needing to buy new calibration equipment, having already bought a new JVC, and a new DLP, and also needing a video processor, not to mention some new HT furniture, and ouch it's adding up.

I wonder if a less costly VP is worth it?

I know the Lumagens are awesome, but for me that is a lot of cash to spend on a VP, but maybe I will have to. Still looking into all the other options.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #209 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

But between needing to buy new calibration equipment, having already bought a new JVC, and a new DLP, and also needing a video processor, not to mention some new HT furniture, and ouch it's adding up.

I know the Lumagens are awesome, but for me that is a lot of cash to spend on a VP, but maybe I will have to. Still looking into all the other options.

I think the Lumagen mini at the AVS special is quite a good deal. DUO at MSRP $1299 is another alternative, but I like Lumagen more.
Although for RS55, I am not sure I need the Lumagen... For and RS45, it is probably much preferred as there is no CMS.
post #210 of 3675 Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I take it you've seen the AVS deal? It's $600 off the regular price. I really wouldn't look at anything else myself given my past experiences:

I've had a Video EQ Pro (very poor support) and a DVDO Edge (not much better support). I've previously had a Lumagen HDQ which they still support and added a basic CMS via a firmware update to long after it was discontinued.

Now I have the Mini3D myself: Support is great (they've even put a firmware update on their website within hours of me reporting an issue). It's way more flexible than any of my previous VPs and even with only 2 physical HDMI inputs I've been able to connect 3 sources using resolution sensitive memory selection (and my older AV processor to switch the non3D sources). Plus using the A-D memories and an external HDMI splitter I have 3 displays connected with suitable CMS settings for each. AFAIK it's the only one of the above that can perform CMS, vertical stretch and other calibration on a 3D signal rather than just pass through (Duo included IIRC). If accurate 3D matters to you it's the only solution.

You might be surprised how good my lowly HD350 looks with a 'perfect' calibration courtesy of the Mini3D, such that I'm only reading these threads for future reference...I don't really need to upgrade for some time now, but I'm sure a more recent projector would look even better with the Mini3D.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page