Official JVC RS55/X70 owners thread. - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Art has posted his review of the X70/RS55 http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/dla-x70r/index.php .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Bottom line. The JVC appears a touch sharper, than the Epson 5010, which seems sharp for a 3LCD based projector. --- ART

---------------------------------------

I guess the RS-45 he originally had didn't have the best convergence, since now he agrees the JVC is sharper than the Epson...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2703 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Bottom line. The JVC appears a touch sharper, than the Epson 5010, which seems sharp for a 3LCD based projector. --- ART

I guess the RS-45 he originally had didn't have the best convergence, since now he agrees the JVC is sharper than the Epson...

Yeah he also didn't see the blue tinge in dark scenes on the RS55. My best guess is the RS45 he reviewed must have been damaged or not calibrated properly. He's the only person I've seen mention this. I think it would be tough to miss for most of us, if this was a real problem with them all.
post #2704 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfitzger View Post

So I have a question(s):

When trying to dial in blue - I can't get it past 2.0 DE all other colors are < .04. Previous calibration as you can see from last post was around 0.5 The biggest problem with blue is the HUE. I can get lightness and saturdation to 0 but Hue is about 6%.

that some of the shadows show a blue then red line where it should be black. I'm assuming since I messed with the 10% gamma on all 3 colors to get it to 100% RGB this is the case. Am I wrong?

There is a lot of good info about calibration in this thread if you read backwards.

I wouldn't care about blue being under 2.0 dE overall personally. Sometimes people are overly focused on meter readings, you also have to judge the end result by eye somewhat. Yes, start with the meter but also if your eyes are telling you something is wrong, then investigate further. I would do 3-4 different calibrations with different concessions and slightly different gamma, then compare them with different content over time and pick the one you like the most.

The only way to know for sure though is to have multiple projectors (or even TV's or other devices) and compare them by eye as well as with the meter. I learned a lot more about calibration by setting up 3 projectors side-by-side then I did reading in this forum. Some of the info in this thread is really good as I said before, but sometimes you gotta be careful because there is some questionable stuff. I mean you cannot argue with split-screening multiple devices, adjusting tiny things on one projector, and then seeing the real effect to the calibration right there, that is the real way to learn. You do need 2 devices that calibrate well however, even better is if you can grab 2 of the same exact model projector and do it, that can often open up your eyes.

Without two devices, you can also just adjust the blue hue, make it purposefully go OFF even more and notice the effect to the image. That is one way you can learn how changes really affect things, but it can take forever since you will need to watch a lot of different test content while you are doing it. Also it helps to take notes while split-screening, then reviewing notes later.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2705 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

imo, he missed the mark on e-shift using a small 96" screen. The e-shift advantages come alive on my 142" screen. The Trusted Reviews info on the X70 regarding e-shift was much more informative explaining how it works and the net results of using it.

The higher pixel density creates a perception of increased contrast and overall sharpness. The image appears more solid with added dimension to various textures - facial features become more obvious,etc. When I turn it off, IQ generally looks flat to me now compared to the W7000, HW30, 5010 and even the RS45 which is essentially what the 55 is with the e-shift turned off. I'm a big fan of this stepping stone tech, especially sitting 1.25 SW from a nice sized screen.

Cine4home measured 920 @ D65, I wonder if his review sample had some miles on it already. Art needs a big HP with the iris @ -13.
post #2706 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

imo, he missed the mark on e-shift using a small 96" screen. The e-shift advantages come alive on my 142" screen. The Trusted Reviews info on the X70 regarding e-shift was much more informative explaining how it works and the net results of using it.

The higher pixel density creates a perception of increased contrast and overall sharpness. The image appears more solid with added dimension to various textures - facial features become more obvious,etc. When I turn it off, IQ generally looks flat to me now compared to the W7000, HW30, 5010 and even the RS45 which is essentially what the 55 is with the e-shift turned off. I'm a big fan of this stepping stone tech, especially sitting 1.25 SW from a nice sized screen.

Cine4home measured 920 @ D65, I wonder if his review sample had some miles on it already. Art needs a big HP with the iris @ -13.

You make the upgrade very tempting Jason! I'm trying to hold off till fall and see if they make any more improvements. If not a may bump up to the RS55 around that time frame.
post #2707 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I sit really close to the screen right now, for some a bit too close, I am at like 1.1 times screen width, so I'm sure it would help. I used to sit much farther back, over time I scooted closer and closer.

I have never seen e-shift but I saw one of those $100,000 Sony projectors at the movie theater, and I had to sit in the front row, so I think I have seen the same general effect, and YES I do agree, it makes a difference. Even though the theater didn't have the contrast, it still had something special when it came to the analog look.

post #2708 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to post something real quick, our demo X70 has 800 hours on the lamp and it officially crapped today. Same issue that we had with our X3 last year. The picture got noticeably darker this week and 10 minutes before I closed today it shut off and indicated a lamp problem. Our X3 went in for service 3 times. Hopefully the newer projectors don't have the same lamp issues as last year, it is pretty depressing.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #2709 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
800 hours eh? I'd imagine you'd just have to make a call into JVC for another new (and hopefully fixed) bulb.
post #2710 of 3675 Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Ugggggh!!! Come on JVC....get your bleep together with the companies you look at to produce these things. Unacceptable!! 2 freaking years running now.

Maybe I'm hammering them prematurely, but then again maybe Need4spdnb is just one of the first to hit that many hours and more still to come from the 2012 batch they chose to run with.
post #2711 of 3675 Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
As I mentioned, I hadn't been able to watch much content since I had umr calibrate the projector. I'm finally getting some more quality time with my RS55. And I'm happy!

Last night after my wife had a movie-night with her friends at our place, I threw on the Taxi Driver Blu-Ray to check it out (which I've watched a number of times on my previous RS20 projector). I left the settings/gamma as umr calibrated them. I found myself being blown away, both by the effects of the calibration and by the prowess of the projector itself. In terms of calibration, I could not get over both how cinematic it appeared, and also how accurate skin tones looked - and there are so many skin tones in various lighting throughout that movie. In shots with several people, the variation in skin tones is so obvious from person to person, yet all realistic. Cybil Shepherd looked so natural...as if I needed anything more to increase my crush on her in that film! Generally, the increase in visibility of detail (shadow detail/shading) and the realistic yet richly saturated color, combined with the contrast, solidity and clarity of the RS55, was a revelation on this disc. It's the combination of all these things that puts so much varied and realistic visual information into every frame. It looked so freaking good I couldn't believe it, how beautifully shaded all the night photography was, how much detail was preserve, how much color and image detail there was, and the way the bright city lights cut through the dark areas with such aliveness. Absolutely killer. I ended up watching the whole thing because I couldn't tear my eyes away.

I also put on the black and white film Night Of The Hunter, a great criterion Blu-Ray restoration, and was captivated by the detail and depth and the correctness of the look of black and white.

Next up I threw on the Alien Blu-Ray and, again...jawdropping. There was a sensation of seeing layers of detail, shading, and color that had gone missing on previous viewings - an absolute cinematic smorgasbord. I just kept pinching myself at being able to view my favorite films at this level of picture quality. Again...I watched almost the whole thing. Same with the Stevie Wonder concert Blu-Ray, which was astoundingly clear and colorful.

It's still the case I can get a deeper looking black level and a higher sense of contrast by upping the gamma a bit (though apparently losing some calibration accuracy while doing so). But I can also appreciate the precision brought to the table by the 2.2 gamma as calibrated by umr. And of course a 2.2 gamma tends to be brighter looking than a higher gamma as well. I found I could blow up Alien quite large on my Stewart 1.3 gain screen while still keeping the lens aperture at -11, and it looked bright and vivid.

Ever since getting the RS55 I have felt I wasn't going to truly know how happy I was with it until it was well calibrated. Now I have the impression that is pretty much true - now it has that cinematic quality (vs video-like) that I was looking for, but also has the "wow" factor mixed in from the E-shift and high contrast. (As to motion issues I've mentioned, I was a bit aware of them while watching some of Midnight In Paris with my wife and her friends, but afterward it was mostly a non-issue on all the other content I watched. I get this sense my eyes have been latching on to the sample-and-hold effect and that after a while my brain adjusts and starts to forget it...or something).

When I think of watching Jaws in Blu-Ray (to be released this year) or, no doubt, Ridley Scott's Prometheus...the anticipation kills me. I still can't believe we consumers can have this in our homes!
post #2712 of 3675 Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I replaced a 185 lb Sony G70 CRT projector with the JVC, so you can imagine how impressed I was with the new projector using just its out-of-the-box settings. How's the 3D performance before and after calibration?
post #2713 of 3675 Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me out.
I have found an issue with my new DLA-X70. There appears to be a very bright but small spot on the picture, near the centre.

This consistently appears regardless of what you are watching and what the input is (e.g.sky, Blu-ray, HiDef or dvd or from HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 (different makes of cable for each)). This spot is only visible when sitting straight on near the centre. If you move slightly to the left or right, you dont see it. But when you do see it, it is so bright that you are constantly drawn to it. Anyone have any idea what the issue is likely to be? Could it be a dead pixel? Do they exist on these type of projectors and if so will JVC replace the unit?

Would love to know what the issue is. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
post #2714 of 3675 Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have recently bought X-Rite EyeOne Display 3 PRO with ChromaPure Standard + Auto-Calibrate add-on, we will re attempt to calibrate this weekend. Who else here has this package and what colour profile did you start with?
post #2715 of 3675 Old 04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

As I mentioned, I hadn't been able to watch much content since I had umr calibrate the projector. I'm finally getting some more quality time with my RS55. And I'm happy!

Last night after my wife had a movie-night with her friends at our place, I threw on the Taxi Driver Blu-Ray to check it out (which I've watched a number of times on my previous RS20 projector). I left the settings/gamma as umr calibrated them. I found myself being blown away, both by the effects of the calibration and by the prowess of the projector itself. In terms of calibration, I could not get over both how cinematic it appeared, and also how accurate skin tones looked - and there are so many skin tones in various lighting throughout that movie. In shots with several people, the variation in skin tones is so obvious from person to person, yet all realistic. Cybil Shepherd looked so natural...as if I needed anything more to increase my crush on her in that film! Generally, the increase in visibility of detail (shadow detail/shading) and the realistic yet richly saturated color, combined with the contrast, solidity and clarity of the RS55, was a revelation on this disc. It's the combination of all these things that puts so much varied and realistic visual information into every frame. It looked so freaking good I couldn't believe it, how beautifully shaded all the night photography was, how much detail was preserve, how much color and image detail there was, and the way the bright city lights cut through the dark areas with such aliveness. Absolutely killer. I ended up watching the whole thing because I couldn't tear my eyes away.

I also put on the black and white film Night Of The Hunter, a great criterion Blu-Ray restoration, and was captivated by the detail and depth and the correctness of the look of black and white.

Next up I threw on the Alien Blu-Ray and, again...jawdropping. There was a sensation of seeing layers of detail, shading, and color that had gone missing on previous viewings - an absolute cinematic smorgasbord. I just kept pinching myself at being able to view my favorite films at this level of picture quality. Again...I watched almost the whole thing. Same with the Stevie Wonder concert Blu-Ray, which was astoundingly clear and colorful.
me
It's still the case I can get a deeper looking black level and a higher sense of contrast by upping the gamma a bit (though apparently losing some calibration accuracy while doing so). But I can also appreciate the precision brought to the table by the 2.2 gamma as calibrated by umr. And of course a 2.2 gamma tends to be brighter looking than a higher gamma as well. I found I could blow up Alien quite large on my Stewart 1.3 gain screen while still keeping the lens aperture at -11, and it looked bright and vivid.

Ever since getting the RS55 I have felt I wasn't going to truly know how happy I was with it until it was well calibrated. Now I have the impression that is pretty much true - now it has that cinematic quality (vs video-like) that I was looking for, but also has the "wow" factor mixed in from the E-shift and high contrast. (As to motion issues I've mentioned, I was a bit aware of them while watching some of Midnight In Paris with my wife and her friends, but afterward it was mostly a non-issue on all the other content I watched. I get this sense my eyes have been latching on to the sample-and-hold effect and that after a while my brain adjusts and starts to forget it...or something).

When I think of watching Jaws in Blu-Ray (to be released this year) or, no doubt, Ridley Scott's Prometheus...the anticipation kills me. I still can't believe we consumers can have this in our homes!

Amen! well said. I went from 9 inch CRT to the RS2 to the RS55. This projector, for me, redefines the home theater experience!!
post #2716 of 3675 Old 04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangore View Post

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me out.
I have found an issue with my new DLA-X70. There appears to be a very bright but small spot on the picture, near the centre.

This consistently appears regardless of what you are watching and what the input is (e.g.sky, Blu-ray, HiDef or dvd or from HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 (different makes of cable for each)). This spot is only visible when sitting straight on near the centre. If you move slightly to the left or right, you dont see it. But when you do see it, it is so bright that you are constantly drawn to it. Anyone have any idea what the issue is likely to be? Could it be a dead pixel? Do they exist on these type of projectors and if so will JVC replace the unit?

Would love to know what the issue is. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Since it varies with your position, I doubt it's the projector. I guess you're using a screen with gain? It's probably a bit of the gain material. My Firehawk had a similar issue.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #2717 of 3675 Old 04-01-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

On a new lamp, have any of you experienced "cloudy" whites.
It's like something is off-gassing within the lens and there is a cloudy swirling motion evident in white scenes. Or almost like a heat mirage.

- Andy
post #2718 of 3675 Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I still can't believe how sharp and clear the image is on this thing. I was in an AV store today and I used to pine after the 65" Panasonic plasma. They had one on display, playing the standard Panasonic beauty-scenes demo, and it didn't seem as sharp and detailed as my RS55 - nor did any other flat panel. Which is amazing and counter-intuitive, especially given the difference in image sizes of the projected image.
post #2719 of 3675 Old 04-01-2012, 03:32 PM

thanks for the response "JustMike",

I hope you are right as its less hassle replacing a screen. I'm not sure what type of screen i have tbh as i bought in 2004 from D.R.H. Screens... looking at the website i think my screen is as follows

"Matt White - projection screen fabric

Standard material suited to multipurpose applications where the emphasis is on functionality. The reflective ratio is 1 (what your projector emits, you get back in the reflective image) and the field of view is excellent through 90 degrees either side of screen centre (See graph).

Matt white fabric is hard wearing, resilient to everyday knocks and contains preservatives to resist against more extreme environments such as high humidity.

A suitable reception surface for both LCD and DLP projectors.

Technical specifications:

Fabric: 100% fibreglass laminated with PVC
Thread count: 10 / cm2
Fire retardancy: Conforms to U.S Federal test method 191
Instron Breaking Strength: Warp 100 Filling 140"

The next time i notice the light spot on the screen, i'll lift up the screen to see if i can notice it against the wall. This way i'll be able to eliminate the screen as a cause. Many thanks for your help.

BTW, are there any hard or fast rules to what type of screen works best with the X70 in a fairly dark room (but not pitch black)?
post #2720 of 3675 Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I still can't believe how sharp and clear the image is on this thing. I was in an AV store today and I used to pine after the 65" Panasonic plasma. They had one on display, playing the standard Panasonic beauty-scenes demo, and it didn't seem as sharp and detailed as my RS55 - nor did any other flat panel. Which is amazing and counter-intuitive, especially given the difference in image sizes of the projected image.

The JVC's are ridiculously sharp.

post #2721 of 3675 Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

We do have a new lamp coming in, it is sad because I almost don't trust them right now. This is the longest a lamp has lasted though, our X3 never made it past 200 hours. They are great looking projectors and I love the performance, but the lamp issues are a deterrent.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #2722 of 3675 Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Heh Rich ..

Glad you are happy with it. I just got in a RS45 to demo and wow its gonna need a lot of work.

I may do comparitive article to the RS65 if time permits.

The convergence on the RS45 was pretty good but the setting out of the box YIKES>
Its definitely a different projector.

Any of you guys watch "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" ??

The beginning is a black bonanza... The beginning of the movie is great if you like great variations of black. Near the end her butt cheeks are good for checking out reds.
post #2723 of 3675 Old 04-03-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Question for the more electrically literate:

I need to place my projector as close to my back wall as possible. That was easy with my RS20 since all the connections were on the side. But now with the connections on the back of the RS55, cords are getting in the way. The worst offendor is the power cord at this point.

I'd like to replace the power cord with a right-angle power cord, to save room. Is there any technical problem in replacing the manufacturer's AC cable with a new one?

I'm looking at this cable here:

http://www.infinitecables.com/pop/pw-105r3.htm

Alternately, this cable from Tributaries:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rd-12ft/1.html

But I'd prefer the first one if it would be ok, since it's a local pick up and cheaper.

Thanks!
post #2724 of 3675 Old 04-03-2012, 03:44 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't see any problem as long as the power cord is rated to carry the electrical load, but I suspect JVC will not support it. But why are you worried about letting the projector extend just a bit more forward and are you not concerned about ventilation?
post #2725 of 3675 Old 04-03-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post

I don't see any problem as long as the power cord is rated to carry the electrical load, but I suspect JVC will not support it. But why are you worried about letting the projector extend just a bit more forward and are you not concerned about ventilation?

I'm trying to achieve the largest available image size, and every inch back away from the screen counts.

Ventilation is no issue - it vents in/out from the front, and is not really obstructed in the back anyway.
post #2726 of 3675 Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One more question on replacing my projector's power cable...I hope someone can answer:

Asking a pal about what AWG and amp rating I would need, he said the standard coming from my wall is 14AWG/15 amp, so look for a cable with those specs.

However, that may make for a bulkier cable. The thinner and more flexible, the better for me.

I checked the actual AC power cable that came with my RS55 projector and it seemed quite thin and flexible. It had a tag attached saying "10A/125V" - which I presume means it's a 10 amp AC cable.

Therefore, is it safe to presume, since JVC is apparently supplying a 10 AMP cable, that I can replace it with a 10 AMP cable (instead of a thicker 15 amp cable)?

Thanks.
post #2727 of 3675 Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The RS55 comes with a 10A/125V cable probably just because it's a very standard simple power cord available dirt cheap (18 AWG universal power cord, type IEC320C13).

The RS55 only draws 330-360 watts which at 120V is only about 3 amps so even that 10A/125V cable is way overkill. (The manual mentions 3.2-3.5A max draw).

You'll be fine. The golden-eared audiophiles may disagree however and suggest 2-gauge gold coated single strand oxygen free wire sprinkled in fairy dust, but I digress...

My only warning would be to not defeat the ground wire in any way. Make sure the projector is grounded. That means all 3 wires. (This is not about performance but about safety).

Kal
post #2728 of 3675 Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Kal,

Most appreciated! I'll likely get the 10 amp, then. Though it may introduce an "upper midrange glare" to my system, I'll suffer with it ;-)
post #2729 of 3675 Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Nothing a pair of audiophile approved neutral-density sunglasses can't fix....

Kal
post #2730 of 3675 Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I would argue about the cable but then the thread would go into a tailspin.

Lets just say the power going to your projector should be as pure as possible.

I would be more worried about the power that came before the JVC cable tho.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page