Official JVC RS55/X70 owners thread. - Page 98 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 3675 Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Well, the Panamorph UH480 lens is now at my place. My expectations in terms of image quality are essentially neutral. But I'd be delighted to find it has a positive effect on image quality for large scope images (in fact, I'd be happy if it has a perceptually neutral effect).

Now I have to learn my way around setting it up. I'll certainly report what I see as far as zooming the JVC RS55 with E-shift vs employing the A-lens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 3675 Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Figured I may as well ask in this thread too...

Here I am having just bought a projector (JVC RS55) that is one of the leading candidates for ridding the need for an Anamorphic lens for CIH (since it has the E-shift and lens pre-set memories). And even BEFORE owning the JVC RS55 I never felt the need for an anamorphic lens and have been happy zooming (in fact: happier).

So it feels pretty ironic that I'm just about to buy an Anamorphic lens! Why? Because my screen was actually designed for maximum size, taking up most of my wall, though masked for whatever size I want. However, my throw distance has been limited to 13 1/2 feet due to the depth of my room. So, at least for scope movies, I still have unused screen real estate width that my JVC can't fill. For this reason only - just to be able to get a wider image for scope for my throw distance - I've always pined somewhat for an A-lens, and in fact constructed my system to be able to add an A-lens later, in case I wanted to. But since I can already get very wide scope images as it is, and since my system was built for zooming/masking, I couldn't justify the expense of a lens just for those last few inches of screen size. But, I've happened into a good deal for a used Panamorph UH480, so here I am...

All this leads to my question:

This will be my first experience at home having to select anamorphic re-scaling for an A-lens.

Aside from the JVC RS55, I also have the Oppo 93 Blu-Ray player and a Denon DVP 602CI video processor. All of these, I believe, can perform the anamorphic stretch to work with the A-lens. Can someone suggest which one I should use to re-scale to anamorphic? Is the re-scaling with projectors like the RS55 good? Or would the Oppo or Denon VP be a better bet?

Thanks,

I am in a similar situation to you. My room does not have the depth, for the scope image that I want to have and so I am also going to an A-lens. I am going with a fixed lens in front of my JVC. Due to my shorter throw ratio, I am going with a curved screen. My HD6000F will be here this Wednesday. As to your scaling question, I would think the VP would do a better job. My Lumagen certainly does a better job than my JVC. Disclaimer, my JVC is only an RS45.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #2913 of 3675 Old 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I am in a similar situation to you. My room does not have the depth, for the scope image that I want to have and so I am also going to an A-lens. I am going with a fixed lens in front of my JVC. Due to my shorter throw ratio, I am going with a curved screen. My HD6000F will be here this Wednesday. As to your scaling question, I would think the VP would do a better job. My Lumagen certainly does a better job than my JVC. Disclaimer, my JVC is only an RS45.

A VP really is the best way to do it you are right. Just one click gets you there faster and cleaner than many of the "other" ways it can be done. Also having all the other vast number of settings on the Lumagen is fantastic, I now have every setting on the JVC set to "0" as the Lumagen does it better.

My Schneider and Radiance XS are my two most prized pieces of equipment.
post #2914 of 3675 Old 04-28-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, checking up on my Denon VP, to my surprise it doesn't to anamorphic stretch! (What kind of VP doesn't do anamorphic stretch?)

However, now the choice is between stretching via my JVC projector or the Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player. The Oppo is supposed to have good processing: is it likely to do the anamorphic processing stretch any better than the RS55?

(Yes, I would like a Lumagen sometime in my future but not possible for a while at least).
post #2915 of 3675 Old 04-28-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll take the anamorphic lens discussion over to the CIH forum. However, I will report back in this thread once I've done some zoom vs A-lens comparisons using the RS55.
post #2916 of 3675 Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

Well, checking up on my Denon VP, to my surprise it doesn't to anamorphic stretch! (What kind of VP doesn't do anamorphic stretch?)

However, now the choice is between stretching via my JVC projector or the Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player. The Oppo is supposed to have good processing: is it likely to do the anamorphic processing stretch any better than the RS55?

(Yes, I would like a Lumagen sometime in my future but not possible for a while at least).

I used the stretch in my Oppo rather than the RS35 but that was so I could still see the OSD volume adjustments. The Dune doesn't have a decent internal stretch so I was using the JVC's.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #2917 of 3675 Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #2918 of 3675 Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Thanks for the advice. However having just spent money doing some upgrade tweaks to my room, and now getting the A-lens, I'm not going to be able to justify buying a new VP anytime soon (unless perhaps this is forced upon me by my situation of my AV receiver not passing 3D - I haven't even tried the 3D on my RS55 yet).

So, back to my question (for anyone): How is the anamorphic processing on the JVC or Oppo or Denon VP?

Yes I know some people feel that way but it's completely the opposite for me: zooming to me is actually fun. (To my surprise, the zooming process is actually one of the things that gets a major "wow" reaction from guests during demos. When switching from a 16:9 image to a wider scope movie, the 16:9 image disappears and the projector's brilliant green lens pattern lines pop on looking to guests like a laser show. The guests go "cooool" as the pattern expands and expands and then, "pop" suddenly the image changes to a now huge cinema-scope movie image and it's "Wow" again).

If I ran a CIH system (as I was originally going to when designing my HT) it's quite possible I would have ended up feeling as you do. But after lots of experimentation I decided the limitations of CIH weren't for me so I went for a Variable Image Size system, xtra large screen with auto-4-way masking. So I can make the image whatever size I wish, depending on mood, content, source quality etc. Nothing ever feels compromised - I can run it CIH if I wish, or make 4:3 images feel larger and more cinematic than if I'd gone CIH, or I can get huge, IMAX-like effects for some 16:9 content or whatever. It was by far the very best decision of all of them regarding my home theater. I use this flexibility literally every day. (Last night I felt like watching Jurassic Park in a big format and made it about 130" diag - just incredible for the feeling of dinosaurs towering over me - and I'd never have had that choice if I'd went CIH).

So, there is nothing much the A-lens is going to add in terms of ease of use or whatever (in fact, it will complicate things somewhat until I ever get a remote controlled slide for the UH480). It's only there for when I want my widest image: I will still be zooming probably most scope material.

I had a lumagen, and I am using zoom. The feature in lumagen allow me to do zoom from 1.78 to 2.35 almost instantly... Lens memory takes way too long.
Lumagen is perhaps the best equipment so far. Cms, zoom, scaling, and constant fw update. You NEED to get one
post #2919 of 3675 Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

I had a lumagen, and I am using zoom.

It doesn't sound like you are using the projector's zoom function.

Quote:

The feature in lumagen allow me to do zoom from 1.78 to 2.35 almost instantly...

Since that means you are not using mechanical zooming, the only way I know of to achieve that via a VP is to set your projector's zoom to the 2:35:1 image width, and have it scale down the 16:9 image, throwing away source resolution (unless you have a native 4K projector perhaps...but the JVCs aren't native 4K).

Is that how you are doing it?

To each his own, of course, but I'm not willing to throw away resolution for a teeny bit of convenience (in fact, I work to preserve resolution in any case).

Quote:

Lens memory takes way too long.

Mine takes about 12 seconds to re-size the image (me doing the zooming).
It's not like it's happening constantly through the movie. I choose a movie to watch and if it's a new aspect ratio, seconds later I'm watching it properly masked. It's not even a minor hassle to me. But I guess "too long" will always be subjective.

So on my criteria:

Quote:

Lumagen is perhaps the best equipment so far. Cms,

The JVC has a CMS, which was used for professional calibration.

Quote:

zoom,

Would never use it for re-sizing an image.

Quote:

scaling,

I don't need scaling for Blu-Ray and rarely watch DVD (and I'm happy with the Oppo scaling for DVD when I do). So that's not a selling point for me.

Quote:

and constant fw update.

Which would be appreciated...if I can find a use for the Lumagen.

Quote:

You NEED to get one

Still not sure why.

From my (incomplete) knowledge about the Lumagen, the only compelling reasons that I can find for me getting one is as a 3D capable switcher (my AV receiver and current VP do not do 3D...though another solution would be to buy an AV receiver that will switch 3D) and possibly to make some of my image re-sizing for scope happen even faster (I understand with a VP like the Lumagen, you can move a scope image up or down within the 16:9 frame area, so that could save me some vertical image shifting in some cases).

I keep seeing enthusiasm for the Lumagen products, and it's contagious I admit. But I'm trying to be rational about spending my money. I find it hard coming up with a truly compelling need for the technology, at least in my case.
post #2920 of 3675 Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 16
That last post just gave me a headache.
post #2921 of 3675 Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

That last post just gave me a headache.

Why?

I hope you are feeling better soon.
post #2922 of 3675 Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I keep seeing enthusiasm for the Lumagen products, and it's contagious I admit. But I'm trying to be rational about spending my money. I find it hard coming up with a truly compelling need for the technology, at least in my case.[/quote]

Compelling? Maybe not but (1) noise reduction (2) interface to programs like CalMan for easier calibration (3) it looks nice in your equipment rack!!
post #2923 of 3675 Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I keep seeing enthusiasm for the Lumagen products, and it's contagious I admit. But I'm trying to be rational about spending my money. I find it hard coming up with a truly compelling need for the technology, at least in my case.

Compelling? Maybe not but (1) noise reduction (2) interface to programs like CalMan for easier calibration (3) it looks nice in your equipment rack!![/quote]

+1
post #2924 of 3675 Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Of course there are compelling reasons for other people, like you folks, to add a Lumagen to their system. I'm only remarking about my own situation, and why I can not as of yet rationalise spending that much money on a device, for which I can find little need.
post #2925 of 3675 Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Of course there are compelling reasons for other people, like you folks, to add a Lumagen to their system. I'm only remarking about my own situation, and why I can not as of yet rationalise spending that much money on a device, for which I can find little need.

I would use the Lumagen Radiance for upscaling cable and basically making it look cleaner. Other than that, I haven't found a reason to purchase something that expensive
post #2926 of 3675 Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
From my observations the Lumagen does a better job upscaling to 1080p than the RS55. Without really trying hard I notice a difference between them when viewing 720p material...is it night and day? No, but it's there - the Lumagen scaling is superior. As a secondary comment I certainly make use of it's CMS and calibration capabilities. It's definitely worth it to me......

Geof
post #2927 of 3675 Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Yes, I am throwing away some resolution for 16:9...however, I mostly do that with 16:9 menu, then the little loss of resolution to me is acceptable and preferable because of the quick switch. If I Need to see a 16:9 movie, I will do the lens memory.
I heard someone also mention that doing lens memory might have more tear and wear to the mechanical portion of the PJ... well.
Lumagen CMS is probably better than JVC. It also works for me as I have 2 output, so I need one for my plasma.
I get a used one from SpectraCAL at less than 1000. That's a pretty good deal to me.
Like you said, you might not need it.. But it surely is NICE to have if you happen to get a used one or win a lottery
post #2928 of 3675 Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I heard someone also mention that doing lens memory might have more tear and wear to the mechanical portion of the PJ

This is something I meant to report on. It's a legitimate area of concern to wonder about that, especially as more people may now be using the JVC's lens memory to zoom more than ever.

In setting up a variable image size system that relied on constantly re-zooming the lens, I'd worried about how the JVC lens mechanism would hold up over time. I just sold my RS20 and I'd been using the zoom virtually every day for 2 1/2 years. I didn't see the slightest sign of wear or any issues at all over that period of time. FWIW....
post #2929 of 3675 Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 92
What would be a realistic price for a used X70 with about 150 hours on it be?
post #2930 of 3675 Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk View Post

what would be a realistic price for a used x70 with about 150 hours on it be?

$4600
post #2931 of 3675 Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Liked: 10
I am new to this forum. I tried to upgrade the firmware of JVC RS55U projector as per the JVC instructions. The main firmware upgrade failed after 5 minutes (progress bar showed 7% complete). Later I was not able to power on the projector. What should I do? Do I need to ship it to them for service? Please advise. Thanks.

My little world
post #2932 of 3675 Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sud@Pitt View Post

I am new to this forum. I tried to upgrade the firmware of JVC RS55U projector as per the JVC instructions. The main firmware upgrade failed after 5 minutes (progress bar showed 7% complete). Later I was not able to power on the projector. What should I do? Do I need to ship it to them for service? Please advise. Thanks.

Make sure you have the HDMI inputs disconnected (or the sources turned off) and read this post.

Geof
post #2933 of 3675 Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I received my new bulb today. It's a little different than the original bulb. It has a "vane" or "flapper" in the airflow path. Below are pics of the original, blown bulb, and of the new and old bulbs side by side showing the vane:

I will install the new bulb and report back.

Craig
LL
LL

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #2934 of 3675 Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Two things:

1. I wonder if others here feel as I do: this is my second JVC with a user adjustable iris. After living with this feature, it has been so heplful and allows such nice tweaking, I would have a hard time choosing a projector without this feature.

2. Convergence: This seems to have remained a gray area, in terms of whether one ought to use the new fine convergence feature - 1/16th pixel convergence adjustment possible with 121 adjustment zones. Some think we risk making the image worse.

However, the reviewer in Widescreen Review insisted that taking the time to converge all 121 zones yielded a better image. In another thread, it was mentioned that a calibrationist who'd done 11 of the JVCs insists that doing the fine zone convergence "works wonders."

So I think I'm going to give this a whirl some time soon. (Apparently there's a re-set button in case you want to undo what you've done). Anyone else tried...or going to try?
post #2935 of 3675 Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Two things:

1. I wonder if others here feel as I do: this is my second JVC with a user adjustable iris. After living with this feature, it has been so heplful and allows such nice tweaking, I would have a hard time choosing a projector without this feature.

2. Convergence: This seems to have remained a gray area, in terms of whether one ought to use the new fine convergence feature - 1/16th pixel convergence adjustment possible with 121 adjustment zones. Some think we risk making the image worse.

However, the reviewer in Widescreen Review insisted that taking the time to converge all 121 zones yielded a better image. In another thread, it was mentioned that a calibrationist who'd done 11 of the JVCs insists that doing the fine zone convergence "works wonders."

So I think I'm going to give this a whirl some time soon. (Apparently there's a re-set button in case you want to undo what you've done). Anyone else tried...or going to try?

I find the fine pixel needs minor tweaking every 2-3 viewings. I guess it may have something to do with the age of the bulb. I do this before watching something to insure I can see the lines as best possible without the eshift. It is truly a nice feature.
post #2936 of 3675 Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Have my JVC X70 up for sale on AVS Classifieds. Here's your chance to get one for hundreds less. Basically new.
post #2937 of 3675 Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Howdy,

I read an article recently about some problems with recent digital cinema screenings of Casablanca. Apparently some of the big SXRD cinema projectors were having problems where one side of the screen had a reddish tinge, while the other was greenish. Obviously pretty hard to miss on a black and white film.

This evening, I attended an event at a local dealer, and one of the displays was an X70. I brought my Blu-ray disc of Casablanca, and I had an opportunity to play it on the X70. We immediately noticed that the upper right corner of the image had a purplish tint to it. It was pretty apparent. When we put some color content back on, it wasn't so obvious, but in scenes with blue sky, you could see the tinge.

Has anybody else seen a problem like this? Does it indicate a defective projector, or a problem with setup, or...?

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #2938 of 3675 Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 258
it must be an anomaly for that projector or setup, folks would be quite vocal if that was happening on the RS55/X70.

I just watched a BD concert 'Roy Orbison - Black and White night' and it couldn't have looked more perfect. During a recent calibration, grey field uniformity on my particular RS55 is some of the best i've seen out of 7 different projectors in the last 2 years.
post #2939 of 3675 Old 05-05-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

it must be an anomaly for that projector or setup, folks would be quite vocal if that was happening on the RS55/X70.

I just watched a BD concert 'Roy Orbison - Black and White night' and it couldn't have looked more perfect. During a recent calibration, grey field uniformity on my particular RS55 is some of the best i've seen out of 7 different projectors in the last 2 years.

Great to hear. The PJ was also making some funny noises, so it may have had a fan problem or something.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #2940 of 3675 Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Of possible interest to us RS55/X70 owners:

AVforums just put up their review of the Sony VPL-VW1000E 4K projector.

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sony...95/Review.html

They compared it directly to the JVC RS55. In a nutshell:

Sony: brighter.
JVC: Better black levels.
JVC: Better color (due to being able to calibrate better).
Sony: better 3D
Motion: essentially the same (that was interesting).

Perhaps the take home for JVC owners, after comparing the Sony to the JVC, they stated:

"In terms of 2D performance the X70 remains our reference projector"

Probably due to better color and leading black levels. But for those of us most interested in 2D movie watching with an appropriate screen set up, that's quite a nice price/performance ratio.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page