Official JVC X30 / RS45 owner's thread! - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
You won't need keystone, just vertical lens shift. As long as the projector is horizontally centered to the screen, you can put the projector's lens 15" to 17" above the top of the screen.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

You won't need keystone, just vertical lens shift. As long as the projector is horizontally centered to the screen, you can put the projector's lens 15" to 17" above the top of the screen.
Excellent! I'm assuming that's the lens center which is 15" from the top of the screen surface. Since my screen's 21" from the ceiling, that means the mount needs a 2.5 inch drop at a minimum (21 - 15 - 3.5 [half projector height]). Not bad. I can go almost flush. Thanks!

Kal
Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I haven't mounted mine yet, but that is great to hear. I'll probably mount mine 3 1/2" to 7" above the screen
Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Howdy coderguy.....have you checked to see if the matrix switcher passes 3d?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yah, it passes 3D just fine.

Edited:
I also got the optical toslink AUDIO out to work. This switch is awesome, no more chained manual stuff, and the audio works!
3D works, audio works, no hangups, it just works and it's cheap. So now I am able to have 3 non-HDMI incoming Audio (from my audio switch), and all HDMI audio mix (from the HDMI switch) back into the primary audio switch (7 total audio devices), all while having the Video output to 2 different projectors. I don't know much about Audio, but I'm thinking I read once I'm probably losing something in the audio using the Toslink switch instead of HDMI, but I only have 5.1 setup anyhow, so I'm guessing it doesn't really matter.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Hi guys again...

I'm quoting what a memeber had suggested for 3D glasses to go with the RS45.
I'm now wanting to buy some glasses to try and am wondering if this suggestion still is the best offer.
thanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Maybe since then there's a better choice?

Regards,

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Your best choice is to get the Monster Vision glasses being sold at a very low price now directly from their clearance center. You can also get a 10% discount on two pairs. Check 3d Tech Talk thread.
They are for most users the best glasses out there. Be sure you don't have a polarized screen and update the firmware if you get them.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yah, the MV3D glasses are great. They are very comfortable compared to the JVC glasses. I am still a little bitter I wasted almost $300 on the JVC glasses and emitter, which I no longer use.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback coderguy and rwestley,

rwestley, this is embarrassing but I cannot find the clearance center...can you help me please?

Thanks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

rwestley, this is embarrassing but I cannot find the clearance center...can you help me please?
Thanks

The link is below.:

http://electronics.monstercable.com/search?w=monster%203d%20glasses

10% discount code below.

news10off2011

With the discount code you can get several pairs at an amazing price. You will also get a transmitter with each pair and you will not have to buy the JVC emitter which is not necessary with the Monster glasses. As Codeguy said you will save hundreds of dollars. Why not get a few extra pairs at this price.

I also wasted nearly $400 buying two pairs of JVC glasses and a emitter which I do not use.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley 
10% discount code below.
news10off2011
Thanks! I found the outlet last night, but put off ordering... For once, my procrastination pays off... Just ordered with your code for a $24 discount... Thanks!

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post

Thanks! I found the outlet last night, but put off ordering... For once, my procrastination pays off... Just ordered with your code for a $24 discount... Thanks!
SC

Glad you got in on the deal. I suggest that you update with the VIP Firmware (Check out the Monster Vision glasses on the 3D Tech Talk thread.

You also must set polarity when you use the MV glasses with the JV projector.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
The monstervision max 3d glasses are great with the RS-45 once you get them dialed in. After an hour of adjustment, I found that they work a lot better if you play the 3D version of the movie. rolleyes.gif

Other than that just switch the polarity and adjust the delay. I left duty cycle alone at 100%.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The link is below.:
10% discount code below.
news10off2011
With the discount code you can get several pairs at an amazing price. You will also get a transmitter with each pair and you will not have to buy the JVC emitter which is not necessary with the Monster glasses. As Codeguy said you will save hundreds of dollars. Why not get a few extra pairs at this price.
I also wasted nearly $400 buying two pairs of JVC glasses and a emitter which I do not use.

Thanks so much Mr. rwestley...unfortunately I cannot order it cause I'm in (Canada)
It says in red!
NOTE: Monster ONLY ships to the Billing Address (Which of course for me is in Canada)

Any Canadian know a good place where I can buy these for (in my dreams) at this price?
Does anyone live in the Champlain NY area that can help me?

Thanks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM

Liked: 10
Can't you use a cross border shipping address to pick them up???
Just find a place like "U.S. Address" change the billing address to match and you're off to the races.....
Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Just spoke with Mike Garrett at AVS, they still have one RS-45 b-stock left. I got my last week and it was just a little more than a RS-40 b-stock. Mine arrived with just 3 hours on the lamp and the picture is absolutely gorgeous. Couldn't be happier with my RS-45 or the great service provided by AVS. Thanks, AVS!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

Thanks

The link is below.:

10% discount code below.

news10off2011

Thanks for the link. I got (2).
I had been toying with the idea to get glasses ever since I got my PJ last year. Hold up thus far had been my anticipation that I would be less than excited with the PJ's 3D performance. But for a hundred bucks I am willing to give it a shot.

Again, thanks for the link, rwestley!
____
Axel

Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 PM

long shot but has anyone programmed the discrete lens memory 1/2/3 codes into iRule by any chance? Trying to figure out how to stop using the JVC remote and I use iRule for everything else. But without the discrete lens memory codes in iRule i cant put the remote away for good. I see the codes here http://uk.jvc-service.net/public/document.cfm?prog=docu.cfm&Model=DLA-HD350&SGK=0&SGT=0&MLDC_id=6776 but have no clue how to get them into iRule (i use a mac). I will try the iRule thread as well.

Thanks,
rukus
Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 View Post

long shot but has anyone programmed the discrete lens memory 1/2/3 codes into iRule by any chance?
Heading down to the theater to work on it right now. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT - Got this figured out. It's a bit hinky in my opinion, because it seems the RS45 brings up a confirmation dialog asking if you want to shift, then dumps you back into the lens shift menu, which I had to clear by using two 'exit' commands (I think)... So, it's macro, and you see the dialog and menu flash up, but it works.

Posting the link my post over in the iRule thread to keep the big, fat post out of this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1351981/irule/6720#post_22114356

Cheers,
SC

Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

EDIT - Got this figured out. It's a bit hinky in my opinion, because it seems the RS45 brings up a confirmation dialog asking if you want to shift, then dumps you back into the lens shift menu, which I had to clear by using two 'exit' commands (I think)... So, it's macro, and you see the dialog and menu flash up, but it works.
Posting the link my post over in the iRule thread to keep the big, fat post out of this thread.
Cheers,
SC

If you update the firmware the confirmation will no longer come up after loading up one of the memory functions.

Bill
Old 06-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
SC

Excellent, thanks! Will take a look over there and see if I can replicate it.

Rukus
Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

If you update the firmware the confirmation will no longer come up after loading up one of the memory functions.
Bill
Thanks for the heads-up on firmware! I just got the projector last week, so it's still sitting on cardboard boxes on the middle seat in the back row. I've just watched a few demo clips and a movie with the wife on Saturday night. I need to get it mounted, and then I can work on firmware and calibration.

I'm very impressed with this machine so far.

SC

Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:

The link is below.:
10% discount code below.
news10off2011

You can use friendsandfamily25offx2012 it gives you 25% discount. It works, but unfortunately I finally had to buy them through amazon as monster does not accept international creditcard and paypal holders; so for me without any discount: 10 dollars more per piece and another 10 dollars for ground shipping: payed more for 2 through amazon then 3 through monstercable.

If you buy 3 with this code, you'll get free ground shipping in the USA. I had to use a suite to ship it to Europe.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL-MindfluX View Post

You can use friendsandfamily25offx2012 it gives you 25% discount. It works, but unfortunately I finally had to buy them through amazon as monster does not accept international creditcard and paypal holders; so for me without any discount: 10 dollars more per piece and another 10 dollars for ground shipping: payed more for 2 through amazon then 3 through monstercable.
If you buy 3 with this code, you'll get free ground shipping in the USA. I had to use a suite to ship it to Europe.

This is an amazing price for these glasses. You can get 4 pairs for the cost of 1 pair of JVC glasses and they are more comfortable.

I would suggest you use the following firmware for the update. It is the latest.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27776&sid=8304adf6131b5df21e51f2e26884ea21
Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 AM

Pincushion effect question....

So I just threw up a frame around my screen this weekend (painted on wall), or rather I was in the process of doing so, and I just realized I'm getting some pincushion, but I havent noticed it in the last 6 months of watching movies.

It appears to effect only the bottom of the image and the top is pretty straight (maybe just slightly off). The effect is about 1" tall, that is, the center of the image is ~1" higher than the bottom left and right corners.

At first I thought it was the drywall being off, but after using a laser level and a string I think the drywall is pretty flat. The projector is level and I aligned it the best I could with the screen, at as much of a 90 degree angle as possible, but heres the catch. I'm shooting a ~120" image with the projector mounted as close as possible before I hit the back wall, the zoom is almost zoomed all the way out, maybe one or two clicks from being out as far as it will go.

Can having the zoom at its extremity like this cause a slight pincushion effect on modern day digital projectors like the RS 45 (I'm not using an A-Lens)? I remember this happening a long time ago on a business projector I had. If so, I assume theres is nothing I can do to mitigate it short of decreasing my image size / zooming in?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by vullcan View Post

Pincushion effect question....
So I just threw up a frame around my screen this weekend (painted on wall), or rather I was in the process of doing so, and I just realized I'm getting some pincushion, but I havent noticed it in the last 6 months of watching movies.
It appears to effect only the bottom of the image and the top is pretty straight (maybe just slightly off). The effect is about 1" tall, that is, the center of the image is ~1" higher than the bottom left and right corners.
At first I thought it was the drywall being off, but after using a laser level and a string I think the drywall is pretty flat. The projector is level and I aligned it the best I could with the screen, at as much of a 90 degree angle as possible, but heres the catch. I'm shooting a ~120" image with the projector mounted as close as possible before I hit the back wall, the zoom is almost zoomed all the way out, maybe one or two clicks from being out as far as it will go.
Can having the zoom at its extremity like this cause a slight pincushion effect on modern day digital projectors like the RS 45 (I'm not using an A-Lens)? I remember this happening a long time ago on a business projector I had. If so, I assume theres is nothing I can do to mitigate it short of decreasing my image size / zooming in?
Thanks!

I would make the image smaller and see if it goes away, if so then it is from the lens being near it's maximum zoom. If it was a matter of the projector not being level (perpendicular) then it would be a variation from corner to corner not from the center to both corners.

I finally got mine perfect on the new shelf and now I don't want to take it down to trim and paint the shelf redface.gif

Bill
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just ordered the RS45 from AVScience. Just wanted to chime in and say I'll be joining the party soon. This will be my first projector.

Equipment list:
Video: JVC RS45, 138" Elite EZ Frame 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR22-100
Audio: Denon 2112CI, Mains: Paradigm Monitor 7 V6, Center: Paradigm Monitor CC290 V6, Sides: Paradigm Atom V6, Rears: Polk TSI100.
Other: Monster Power HTS-5100
Old 06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeRF View Post

Just ordered the RS45 from AVScience. Just wanted to chime in and say I'll be joining the party soon. This will be my first projector.

Congrats! I'm sure you'll love the picture. For what you pay and the picture you get (2D), its the best bang for your buck out there IMHO. wink.gif
Old 06-11-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Make sure to grab you some reference level content to watch just to see the full capabilities of the projector:

For 2D:
Art of Flight, Tree of Life, and Timescapes are three that come to mind. Art of flight is somewhat entertaining, the others are mostly scenery things. The Harry Potters are some of the best to show off dark scene contrast, as well as anything with dark scenes really (probably some of the Batmans are good, personally not a huge fan of Batman).

3D isn't all bad either, How to Train your Dragon barely ever ghosts and looks as good on the JVC as any other PJ for the most part, also Under the Sea only ghosts a couple times (rarely). Island Wave Tahiti as well. Resident Evil 3D doesn't ghost hardly ever either (very rarely), but the movie itself leaves a lot to be desired (very boring movie).

I'd say as far as ghosting in 3D goes, 1 out of 3 titles play really well on the JVC in 3D-Mode, but 2 out of 3 do not. I haven't watched enough 3D yet to know for certain, but consider that a preliminary estimate. Eventually I'll make a thread maybe that lists 3D movies where ghosting is bareable on the JVC, but right now I have only found 4 out of 9 really (own about 9). I would say some are borderline, like Hubble or Grand Canyon, they ghost really bad at many parts, so like half the movie is nearly unwatchable but some of it is still ok. Sammy's Adventures was ok in that although it did ghost bad at times, most of the time it was ok.

An interesting thread that ranks 2D blurays according to source/mastering quality:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1168342/the-new-pq-tier-thread-for-blu-ray-rankings

Old 06-11-2012, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I currently have a decent amount of content to check out the projector with. You can see all my disks at http://shaderf.dvdaf.com/owned Any recommendations of what I should watch first? I'll be using a PS3 and Samsung D6500 3d Bluray player for a few weeks until I can order an Oppo BD93. I ordered 2 pair of the Monstervision 3d glasses also which should be here by the end of the week. I am interested in watching 3D (currently watch it on my 46" Samsung LED) so we'll see how much the crosstalk bothers me. I'm typically very insensitive to it so I think I'll be fine. I'm actually in the process of converting a room on my third floor into a dedicated theater so this is just the beginning for me smile.gif

Equipment list:
Video: JVC RS45, 138" Elite EZ Frame 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR22-100
Audio: Denon 2112CI, Mains: Paradigm Monitor 7 V6, Center: Paradigm Monitor CC290 V6, Sides: Paradigm Atom V6, Rears: Polk TSI100.
Other: Monster Power HTS-5100

Tags
Jvc , Projectors , Sony , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi